Conquer Club

Czecho Slovak Fragmentation [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Fragmentation of CSFR - poll

Postby Oneyed on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:16 am

ok. I think that this version 03 looks the best. there arenĀ“t capital symbols in legends, but the capitals are highlated on the map and also in the legends. and they are highlated similar as on "real" maps.

I want to go witht his version 03, then.
Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: Fragmentation of CSFR - only 2 opinions?

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:19 pm

Go for it.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Jippd on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:41 pm

I voted for version three
Major Jippd

Postby Oneyed on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:54 am

thanks guys.

I did some little changes in legends (move text here and there). so this will be the vesion for stamp.
Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: Fragmentation of CSFR - finished poll? stamp?

Postby Jippd on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Gameplay question...so I'm guessing towns are not starting as neutrals? So 1 v 1 it will be common for people to start with a +2 or +3 bonus for having towns?
Major Jippd

Postby Oneyed on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:36 pm

Jippd wrote:Gameplay question...so I'm guessing towns are not starting as neutrals? So 1 v 1 it will be common for people to start with a +2 or +3 bonus for having towns?

good question... :-k I do not know answer... :oops:

1 v 1 games must be then set up different. is it possible to have another starting positions for "normal" games and another one for 1 v 1 game?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby chapcrap on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:58 pm

I don't know if you can have different setups for 1v1 and other games, but I would not like that to happen in a map. Switching the gameplay from one type of game to another would not be a good idea I think.

You can limit the startings positions though to only have a few territories each.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Oneyed on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:20 am

how works set up of starting positions? I mean is it random or we can code which regions will belong to players?

if also in 1 v 1 game will be Praha, Bratislava and Brno neutral, there are 22 towns and 10 regions. 11 towns and 5 regions for each player. so each one will has +2 for 8 towns. only what is needed to sort regions that no one player will hold each Kraj, I think.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Jippd on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:18 am

We'll see if someone that knows more about the coding process has input. Do you have to create your own XML as the map creator? (I think you might) I also think I saw someone else post in a map making thread that someone made a tool for it.

I think this will need to be thought through when the time comes and you can see how it would go. But if you want 1 v 1 you probably want people to start with 6/7 regions each then so none of them would have more than 1 town bonus?

I think the bonus structure might be a problem in general though.

Do you have any plans yet for what regions will be neutral or not neutral (I imagine the capitals would be neutral) but if you have towns and region areas all free to start in...if someone drops four towns (dubs/singles) (this map might be a little small for trips/quads) that might have a strong influence of who wins on this map (especially if they go first).

Random thoughts
Major Jippd

Postby Flapcake on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:57 am

Jippd wrote:Do you have to create your own XML as the map creator? (I think you might)

It dont have to be the mapmaker that do the XML, some one else can do it, NP. usaly the XML maker gets hes name on the map and some of the glory aswell ;)

My Denmark map, Koontz did the XML, he have the hole prosses from start to finish, including corrections. (that hes job when he takes the assignment)

BTW In my opinion, your map are way pass draft :)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:47 am

Oneyed wrote:how works set up of starting positions? I mean is it random or we can code which regions will belong to players?

Normally, all territories are distributed randomly. For example, like on the classic map.

There are two ways you can affect the normal distribution: neutrals and starting positions. If a territory is coded neutral, it does not get distributed to any player, unless the neutral is overridden by a starting position.

As for starting positions, you can have as many or few of them as you want, and each position can contain as many territories as you want. The positions will be divided to players equally, and you can set a maximum amount of positions each player gets, but the amount of positions each gets is always equal, even if the positions are of different sizes (although that is rarely used). You can't decide which player gets which position, it's decided randomly.

What happens to the leftover positions depends on how the territories in them are coded: if they are coded neutral, they stay neutral, if they are not they will be added to the pot of regular random territories to be distributed randomly.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:55 am

This is long overdue for this!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:58 am

Congrats for the stamp! =D>

btw I've deleted your current poll, in this way you can start a new one if needed.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: Fragmentation of CSFR [2 Mar 2012]

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:04 am

Also please I updated the title with the date of the latest version. Please keep the title updated per the Guidelines, as this will help everyone see when the current update was done and what pages it is on.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Oneyed on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:24 am

my first stamp :D thanks.

I do not know how to do XML, yet. when here is possibility that somebody can do it for me it will be great.

to the gameplay, starting positions. if I good understand, it is not depend if game is 1 v 1 or 8 players game - ones are staring positions and neutrals coded in XML it is "forever"?
this is small map, so in the 8 players game each player will has 4 starting positions. if there will be problem in 1 v 1 games (maybe also in 4 players games) then in 8 players game could be coded 3 starting positions for each player and more neutrals. is this a way?

thanks for help. thanks for moving this one next.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Flapcake on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:39 am

Oneyed wrote:my first stamp :D thanks.

I do not know how to do XML, yet. when here is possibility that somebody can do it for me it will be great.

to the gameplay, starting positions. if I good understand, it is not depend if game is 1 v 1 or 8 players game - ones are staring positions and neutrals coded in XML it is "forever"?
this is small map, so in the 8 players game each player will has 4 starting positions. if there will be problem in 1 v 1 games (maybe also in 4 players games) then in 8 players game could be coded 3 starting positions for each player and more neutrals. is this a way?

Oneyed

congratz for the stamp :!:

Dont worry about the XML at this stage, XML comes in last. Now its time for getting the gameplay under the Magnifying Glass ;)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:42 am

Oneyed, congrats on the stamp.

No need to worry about the xml just yet, a long way to go. Ask and you shall receive help in this area. As for the starting positions and what not, can I ask you to get some numbers on the map so I can see the GP better. You can grab them from here. viewtopic.php?f=648&t=151232 That will make it much clearer for me at least to see the starts. Thanks.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby chapcrap on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:39 am

Guys, he's not worrying about the XML. He's worried about the gameplay and is asking about something in XML because of that.

He wants to know if you code how people start differently in 1v1 vs other game types. Anyway, he's discussing possible gameplay scenarios.

Congrats on the stamp. If you want help with XML, I would like to try to do that when the time comes. :)
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Flapcake on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:26 am

Oneyed wrote:my first stamp :D thanks.

Oneyed

It is posible to set some neutral territories, they will always be the same in all games. to get the calculating to match, neutrals will be added depending on the amounth of players, thise neutral positions are random.

35 Territories:
2 or 3 = 11
4 = 8
5 = 7
6 = 5
7 = 5
8 = 4

taken from golden numbers.
http://wcforums.org/foundry/stuff/Golden%20Numbers.pdf

Postby Jippd on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 pm

For this map I think it would be 33 regions though since the capitals I think for game play sake should start neutral. (it only changes 5 and 7 player games)

Also would not be bad 1 v 1 Most someone would start with is 5 troops deploy with current set up so not bad.

2 or 3 = 11
4 = 8
5 = 6
6 = 5
7 = 4
8 = 4
Major Jippd

Postby Oneyed on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:17 am

thanks to everybody congratulations :)

chapcrap wrote:Guys, he's not worrying about the XML. He's worried about the gameplay and is asking about something in XML because of that.

He wants to know if you code how people start differently in 1v1 vs other game types. Anyway, he's discussing possible gameplay scenarios.

exactly said.
chapcrap wrote:Congrats on the stamp. If you want help with XML, I would like to try to do that when the time comes. :)

I think that I will need help with XML, so this is great. thanks :D

Flapcake wrote:It is posible to set some neutral territories, they will always be the same in all games. to get the calculating to match, neutrals will be added depending on the amounth of players, thise neutral positions are random.

35 Territories:
2 or 3 = 11
4 = 8
5 = 7
6 = 5
7 = 5
8 = 4

Jippd wrote:For this map I think it would be 33 regions though since the capitals I think for game play sake should start neutral. (it only changes 5 and 7 player games)

Also would not be bad 1 v 1 Most someone would start with is 5 troops deploy with current set up so not bad.

2 or 3 = 11
4 = 8
5 = 6
6 = 5
7 = 4
8 = 4

there will be 3 neutrals - capitals and also Brno. each capital could be assaulted from 4 regions = 1 this region for each player in 8 players game. therefore must Brno starts as neutral. this give to us these scenarios:

8 players game:
neutrals: Praha, Brno, Bratislava
4 regions for player

7 players game:
neutrals: Praha, Bratislava, Brno, one region which could assault any capital, and 3 any another regions
4 regions for player

6 players game:
neutrals: Praha, Bratislava, Brno, 1 region which could assault Praha, 1 region which could assault Bratislava
5 regions for player

5 players game:
neutrals: Praha, Bratislava, Brno, 1 region which could assault Praha, 1 region which could assault Bratislava
6 regions for player
- here will be the first problem: one player will holds 2 regions which could assault capitals (1 to Praha, 1 to Bratislava)...

4 players game:
neutrals: Praha, Bratislava, Brno
8 regions for player

3 players game:
10 regions for player

1 v 1 game:
11 regions for player

I can see the main problem here - in games with less players (5, 4, 3, 1 v 1) will be possible that one (two/three) players will start with any bonus.

my questions are:
1, could be in XML codded (neutrals/starting positions) as I wrote above?
2, will be better to code more neutrals for each game? but...
3, will be not 3 regions for player in 8 players game and 7 players game too little?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:37 am

my questions are:
1, could be in XML codded (neutrals/starting positions) as I wrote above?

No. You neutrals (the three you want) will be there for all games. The starting positions can be coded but not for different sizes of games. If you choose 8 starting positions (with a territ(s)) and then you can say up to 4 per player. You cannot say which 4 goes to which player.
2, will be better to code more neutrals for each game? but...

Less neutrals the better. Put a neutral in a territ that gives a bonus or strategic importance. For this size of map, less neutrals the better.
3, will be not 3 regions for player in 8 players game and 7 players game too little?

No, as long as you have tried to eliminate R1 knock outs, this should will be fine.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Jippd on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:44 am

Why make BRNO neutral? It would make the towns in it stuck behind that neutral and useless
Major Jippd

Postby chapcrap on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 am

Maybe to combat the bonuses that will happen, you could start the terts with 2 instead of 3.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Oneyed on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:57 am

koontz1973 wrote:No. You neutrals (the three you want) will be there for all games. The starting positions can be coded but not for different sizes of games. If you choose 8 starting positions (with a territ(s)) and then you can say up to 4 per player. You cannot say which 4 goes to which player.

so these 3 neutrals will be neutrals everytime. rest regions which will not be divided between players and therefore will start as neutrals will be sorted random?
koontz1973 wrote:Less neutrals the better. Put a neutral in a territ that gives a bonus or strategic importance. For this size of map, less neutrals the better.

I agree. but then in games with less players will be very possible that some players will hold any bonus from start...
koontz1973 wrote:No, as long as you have tried to eliminate R1 knock outs, this should will be fine.

R1 ?
Jippd wrote:Why make BRNO neutral? It would make the towns in it stuck behind that neutral and useless

because there are 35 regions, so 3 must start as neutrals. because if any player will hold Brno and one of regions which could direct assault Bratislava, this player will has big advantage. because between Praha and Bratislava are only two towns (highway), so one neutral would be fine.
chapcrap wrote:Maybe to combat the bonuses that will happen, you could start the terts with 2 instead of 3.

sorry, I do not understand you...

Oneyed

PS: now the map will has a little break, I do renovation of flat where I live.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas