Conquer Club

The Puget Sound [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Backglass on Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:03 pm

Why did you re-do Mt. Rainer? Everyone knows it's square.
(It's a joke!!!) :P

I think it looks even better. Awesome job!
The Pro-TipĀ®, SkyDaddyĀ® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.
Corporal 1st Class Backglass

Postby RjBeals on Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:05 pm

ORIGINAL

REVISE

Much Much better Tisha! I even like the drop shadow on the lands. Don't you like this revise better? You would never had gotten here without all of our bitching :wink: - One day you'll thank us :P

But seriously great revise.
Private RjBeals

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:31 pm

wow, much much better tisha. This is coming along nicely.

three minor things from before still bother me:
ā€¢ I like the glow on the water radiating from, the land, but i'm not sure why there's also glow around the ferry routes.
ā€¢ love the land shadow, as I said about Mibi's draft, the shadow from the land should be just a bit tighter with the land to give the impression of shadow from land features, not shadow from land floating above the water. There are a few spots - like the Seattle territory - where it looks like the land mass is hanging over the water.
ā€¢ I promise this is the last time I'll mention my distaste for the flying whales... looks like the opening sequence of the Hitchhikers' Guide movie (So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!) :)

And because you'll never shut me up completely, one new thing:
ā€¢ does anyone think it is necessary to have the line in the legend about unpassables? Water plays the same roll in every map.
Captain oaktown

Postby Tisha on Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:17 pm

oaktown wrote:wow, much much better tisha. This is coming along nicely.

three minor things from before still bother me:
ā€¢ I like the glow on the water radiating from, the land, but i'm not sure why there's also glow around the ferry routes.
ā€¢ love the land shadow, as I said about Mibi's draft, the shadow from the land should be just a bit tighter with the land to give the impression of shadow from land features, not shadow from land floating above the water. There are a few spots - like the Seattle territory - where it looks like the land mass is hanging over the water.
ā€¢ I promise this is the last time I'll mention my distaste for the flying whales... looks like the opening sequence of the Hitchhikers' Guide movie (So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!) :)

And because you'll never shut me up completely, one new thing:
ā€¢ does anyone think it is necessary to have the line in the legend about unpassables? Water plays the same roll in every map.

there is a glow under the ferry route because someone complained that they couldn't see the routes very well...and i would rather not change the routes to white

and my whales are not flying..can't u see the blue over them?
Major Tisha

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:56 pm

Tisha wrote:there is a glow under the ferry route because someone complained that they couldn't see the routes very well...and i would rather not change the routes to white

Right, that would be a problem. I just think that the water texture is good, and it's a shame it has to be interrupted. Have you considered leaving the texture as is, but putting a lighter stroke around the dashes?

Tisha wrote:and my whales are not flying..can't u see the blue over them?

Right, whales can't fly! Silly me. :D But it's a top down view of the region (from space, right backglass?) with a side view of two whales. Makes it look to me like they are dead and just floating in the ocean. Anyway, I broke my promise and mentioned the whales again, so I'll shut up and leave it to your discretion as map maker. :wink:

Nice work on the latest improvements.
Captain oaktown

Postby wicked on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:20 am

Maybe they're breaching whales. :wink:
Major wicked

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:13 am

Tisha wrote:redrew all the borders...even the mt. rainier area. after i redid the borders i went all around and made sure color wasn't hanging out on the wrong side of the border anywhere

redid the drop shadow on all names

straightened the ferry routes in the legend

tried to center words and numbers better in the legend

desaturated the water a bit

i added a bit of a drop shadow to the land..but i don't like the way that it adds shadow to my rivers also

Excellent every shadow seems very consistant. In the future it might be helpful to do all the text on one layer and just adjust the pixels in between line breaks to be as far or as close as you desire. It makes it so photoshop will center them for you and you can assure everything is universal between them, but this DOES look much much better. The drop shadow on the land looks very good also, and I like how it goes into your rivers. It makes me feel like the rivers are dark and gloomy. Those are the types of rivers I wouldn't want to cross anyways.

I agree with oaktown about the ferry routes though. The water texture is beautiful if you put a light stroke on the dashes it would work excellently.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby rebelman on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:26 am

looking fantastic Tisha and I like the whales but i do agree with Oaktown on the ferry routes and lose impassible from the legend it goes without saying
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby yeti_c on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:34 am

I concur... looking a lot crisper...

One small point - it might just be my imagination though... but does the small map look a bit lighter? Or is it meant to? Or am I just crazy!!!!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gimil on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:56 am

I also agree that is is much much better and crisper, i also agree though that the drop shadow isnt agreeing with the river even though i would like the drop shadow to stay.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby hulmey on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:58 am

:oops:
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby hulmey on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:03 am

im sorry gonna be blunt, but if this map is quenched then iy will probably be the worst looking map on CC. But hey dont worry WM can then revamp it for u :wink:
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby cena-rules on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:07 am

Lovely T

Dont listen to hulmey. Hes lost the plot
19:41:22 ā€¹jakewilliamsā€ŗ I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Postby hulmey on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:35 am

wouldnt be the first time cena..but i call it how i see it!!
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Risky_Stud on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:11 pm

hulmey, sry you were not here during the bashing faze. please don't do that here. if your comments are not going to help or be constuctive then don't leave them.
Private 1st Class Risky_Stud

Postby oaktown on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:06 pm

hulmey wrote:im sorry gonna be blunt, but if this map is quenched then iy will probably be the worst looking map on CC.

Worse than Crossword? Hong Kong? Until I looked just now I forgot those maps even existed.

No map will be beautiful to everybody - the Berlin map probably still has more haters than this one, and Wid's ConquerMan and Canada revamp both beat this one in terms of provoking hate and anger. What's important is that it is improving, and while I think it could use some more eyes and some more little improvements it is certainly on its way.
Captain oaktown

Postby insomniacdude on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:35 pm

Much better!

I like how the water is more muted. The last color you used was too bright. I think the it's set up now, though, while better, might be too muted. I think a mixture of the two would be better, though definitely leaning to the levels you have now. Right now it doesn't really look like water to me.

$0.02
Cadet insomniacdude

Postby bedub1 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Tisha,

I LOVE this update you just did, I'm glad you finally posted it after I got a sneak peak what seems like forever ago. The Legend looks great, the water doesn't hurt my eyes, (which I never realized it did until the update), the borders and nice and smooth, the shadow on the land is good...etc. Sunny slope also fits nearly nicely in it's territory too now.....only a TINY bit of the circle goes over the line. I call that good.

Here is what else I think should be done....

bedub1 wrote:I've read from Page 15. Here is my opinion.

Things I think should change
*I think the "Bremerton" label should be moved to the right, especially on the small map.
*I think the "Impassable" in the legend can be removed...if people can't figure out that you can't get across the river, they are stupid and should be laughed at.

EDIT: changed can to can't and bolded it :)
Colonel bedub1

looks great

Postby James Vazquez on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:34 pm

looks great Tisha :wink: Final stretch.........
Sergeant James Vazquez

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:11 pm

oaktown wrote:
hulmey wrote:im sorry gonna be blunt, but if this map is quenched then iy will probably be the worst looking map on CC.

Worse than Crossword? Hong Kong? Until I looked just now I forgot those maps even existed.

No map will be beautiful to everybody - the Berlin map probably still has more haters than this one, and Wid's ConquerMan and Canada revamp both beat this one in terms of provoking hate and anger. What's important is that it is improving, and while I think it could use some more eyes and some more little improvements it is certainly on its way.

I agree that there's no way as is it would be the worst, but I may be crazy, but I think hong kong is one of the prettiest.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Tisha on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:45 am

here's my worst map on conquerclub again..

i made the water a little more blue..less purple..

added a little blue to the rivers as well.

took the glow off the ferry routes...added a little shine to them instead. yes or no?

tried to bring the shadow closer to the land

took the river stuff out of the legend

the whales are just for oaktown.. ;) i found a whale from above..but u can't even tell it is a killer whale

Major Tisha

Postby Dancing Mustard on Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:18 pm

Who harpooned those wales?
Wayne wrote:Wow, with a voice like that Dancing Mustard must get all the babes!

Garth wrote:Yeah, I bet he's totally studly and buff.
Corporal Dancing Mustard

Postby rebelman on Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:35 pm

Dancing Mustard wrote:Who harpooned those wales?
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby Tisha on Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:24 pm

the makah tribe
Major Tisha

Postby reverend_kyle on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:32 pm

umm.. I liked the purple.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas