Conquer Club

MÉXICO [BETA] p1/18 --Sep 11th--

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: MEXICO [D]

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Update Time!

Click image to enlarge.

Here are the changes:
  • I've taken on board most of the suggestions; I've opened up the mountains between San Luis and Tamaulipas to make that area not so linear.
  • The mountains between Michoacan and Edo. Mex. have similarly been removed to open up the Central region a little more.
  • I've removed the Baja +1 bonus, and bumped Noroeste back up to 4, although I could be persuaded to drop it back down to three as it feels like it should be 3.5!
  • Graphically, I've made the central area more yellow, and to be honest I preferred it red. The Eagle on the Mexico flag is much more brown than yellow, but brown looked even worse (and too similar to the unplayable areas).
  • I've taken off the texture from the land, and actually like the sleek modern look it gives the map.
  • As for the port icons, I really don't want to switch to an anchor; the icon I've designed doubles up really nicely as an army circle, and (in my opinion) fits the map quite nicely.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: MEXICO [D] p1/12 --Jul 1st--

Postby The Bison King on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Suggestion: Could you write/spell the region/bonus zone names in American? That foreign spelling is really confusing.

LOL you said American instead of English, I am tickled. :lol: but I disagree It's a map of Mexico it should be spell in "Mexican" ;)

I love the changes, it's lookin real good.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:47 pm

However I suggest that you tighten up the mountains, it bothers me to see spaces, and the background color behind them.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:49 pm

I'll tidy up the mountains when I'm polishing the graphics - there are several little things like that I can see that bug me ;-)

Right now, I just want to iron out the gameplay...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Much better.

Noroeste should be 3, particularly if the ports start neutral. Central region is still overvalued by a bit but with four borders it's within acceptable range, I think.

I like the colors on the minimap better than the colors on the map proper right now. No opinion about the texture, but the gradients on some of the regions weren't working before.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:17 am

Aww, you scrapped that small bonus? I liked that... oh well, I guess it's for the best for a map this size.

Noroeste -> 3 IMO.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby ender516 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:08 pm

Just to be clear, since the mountains need fixing, when looking at the territories of Norte alone, they form a ring of five, with each bordering just two others? (I know, some of them also border territories in Occidente and the Valle.)
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:36 pm

ender516 wrote:Just to be clear, since the mountains need fixing, when looking at the territories of Norte alone, they form a ring of five, with each bordering just two others? (I know, some of them also border territories in Occidente and the Valle.)

Hmm... Looking at it now, I'm not really sure what these mountains are supposed to be blocking off. They're not creating any vital chokepoint that wasn't there before, nor are they making it more or less difficult to defend a bonus. If you like them, no reason to drop them, I guess.
If you liked it better with mountains between San Luis and Tamaulipas, that's not a disaster either.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby ender516 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:38 pm

I have no comment on the gameplay value of those mountains. It's just that they have gaps, and there are bits of boundaries straddled by them, so I thought it should be clarified, gameplay-wise now, and eventually graphically. If they weren't there at all, I presume some of those territories would touch each other across the "ring" that I described.

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:04 pm

ender516 wrote:I have no comment on the gameplay value of those mountains. It's just that they have gaps, and there are bits of boundaries straddled by them, so I thought it should be clarified, gameplay-wise now, and eventually graphically. If they weren't there at all, I presume some of those territories would touch each other across the "ring" that I described.

The gaps are only there because I've been a little bit lazy... the mountain ranges are intended to be impassable, even though thee may appear to be secret mountain passes at the moment. The gaps will be filled in due course ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:44 pm

MrBenn wrote:
ender516 wrote:I have no comment on the gameplay value of those mountains. It's just that they have gaps, and there are bits of boundaries straddled by them, so I thought it should be clarified, gameplay-wise now, and eventually graphically. If they weren't there at all, I presume some of those territories would touch each other across the "ring" that I described.

The gaps are only there because I've been a little bit lazy... the mountain ranges are intended to be impassable, even though thee may appear to be secret mountain passes at the moment. The gaps will be filled in due course ;-)

I guessed as much, but thought it best to make sure the gameplay was nailed down before graphics were tweaked to depict it. I guess my question still stands: is it effectively a ring of territories?

Re: MEXICO [D]

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:40 pm

MrBenn wrote:Update Time!

Click image to enlarge.

Here are the changes:
  • I've taken on board most of the suggestions; I've opened up the mountains between San Luis and Tamaulipas to make that area not so linear.
  • The mountains between Michoacan and Edo. Mex. have similarly been removed to open up the Central region a little more.
  • I've removed the Baja +1 bonus, and bumped Noroeste back up to 4, although I could be persuaded to drop it back down to three as it feels like it should be 3.5!
  • Graphically, I've made the central area more yellow, and to be honest I preferred it red. The Eagle on the Mexico flag is much more brown than yellow, but brown looked even worse (and too similar to the unplayable areas).
  • I've taken off the texture from the land, and actually like the sleek modern look it gives the map.
  • As for the port icons, I really don't want to switch to an anchor; the icon I've designed doubles up really nicely as an army circle, and (in my opinion) fits the map quite nicely.

ender516 wrote:
MrBenn wrote:

I guessed as much, but thought it best to make sure the gameplay was nailed down before graphics were tweaked to depict it. I guess my question still stands: is it effectively a ring of territories?

Yes, it's essentially a ring...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:07 pm

Having a look at it a little more, I'm trying to weigh up whether to add the mountains back between San Luis/Tamaulipas, or to leave it without them...

Any thoughts?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby The Bison King on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Having a look at it a little more, I'm trying to weigh up whether to add the mountains back between San Luis/Tamaulipas, or to leave it without them...

I'd say put them back, I think 2 linear paths is more interesting that a donut.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:14 pm

I'd say put them back in. With the mountains there, the port becomes more important.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby jefjef on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:44 am

Have you considered making Federal District it's own bonus? Like Valletta is in Malta?

You could reduce Valle De Anahuac to 5 and have FD as a 1. Looks like this maps game play would benefit from doing that. Really put some importance in the center, initiate combat there and give it the small bonus it needs.

This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:11 pm

jefjef wrote:Have you considered making Federal District it's own bonus? Like Valletta is in Malta?

You could reduce Valle De Anahuac to 5 and have FD as a 1. Looks like this maps game play would benefit from doing that. Really put some importance in the center, initiate combat there and give it the small bonus it needs.

I quite like that idea.... any other thoughts?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby jefjef on Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:34 pm

MrBenn wrote:
jefjef wrote:Have you considered making Federal District it's own bonus? Like Valletta is in Malta?

I quite like that idea.... any other thoughts?

I wouldn't do it as an auto deploy though.

You could even look at giving it port bombardment capability. :shock: Talk about an important/powerful tert!

The center would be a war zone. You just couldn't disregard/ignore it.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby The Bison King on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:44 am

You could even look at giving it port bombardment capability. :shock: Talk about an important/powerful tert!

Bombard, but not conquer? that could be cool actually.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby MrBenn on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:22 pm

Having had a play around, I've changed my mind about a +1 for DF; While I'm happy to try and bring the central region into play a little bit more, I'd rather not unbalance things by having an extra neutral start forced on the map, or giving an unfair advantage to whoever gets the lucky drop.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Which brings me to my next update...
Click image to enlarge.

I've played around with the colour scheme a little bit, and am happy with it the way it was originally (with some minor tweaks to the paler central regions).
The mountains have been redrawn, and I'm actually quite happy with them, which makes a change for me - I've also filled in the gaps so it's much more obvious where the impassables actually are.

The only obvious thing I can see that I still need to finalise is the minimap... unless anybody else can tell me otherwise? :P
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: MEXICO [D] p1/14 --Aug 6th--

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:52 pm

Down the home stretch for this lap. Time for a sticky.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Still not using the bigimg tags? [-X ;)

I don't see any obvious gameplay problems, I think it could be time to move this to graphics.

However I must say I still don't like the port icons. They don't fit the style of the rest of the map IMHO.

I like the new mountains though.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:04 pm

natty_dread wrote:However I must say I still don't like the port icons. They don't fit the style of the rest of the map IMHO.

I like them. I think they fit the style, and I think they're pretty original compared to all the other port icons out there.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby jefjef on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:20 pm

MrBenn wrote:Having had a play around, I've changed my mind about a +1 for DF; While I'm happy to try and bring the central region into play a little bit more, I'd rather not unbalance things by having an extra neutral start forced on the map, or giving an unfair advantage to whoever gets the lucky drop.

Dropping Valletta in Malta is absolutely in no way a win. You could redraw DF to where 3 additional terts connect to it.

As it is just kinda makes that entire bonus region an undesirable place to be and unattractive to operate in and imo this map really could use a tiny bonus.
Colonel jefjef

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas