Conquer Club

Egypt: Lower [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: LOWER EGYPT V14 (p9) [I] New map

Postby greenoaks on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:07 pm

does +1 on each capital held mean a +1 auto deploy ?

also:
- if you made Sap-Neh a part of IMU and removed the dow between Sap-Neth and Khaset then IMU would have 4 terts & 2 borders for a bonus of 2.
- if you made Sema behdet a part of KHASU, placed a dow linking it to Theb-Ka and removed the dow between Sema behdet and Tetuh then KHASU would have 4 terts & 2 borders for a bonus of 2.
- DJEDET would now be left with 4 terts & 2 borders for a bonus of 2.
- TJARU already has 4 terts & 2 borders for a bonus of 2

that leaves MEN-NEFER with 4 terts & 3 borders for a bonus of 3
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:22 pm

I would assume it's autodeploy, but I really can't tell. The capital symbols proper don't seem very Egyptian, but I could be wrong in that estimation.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:17 pm

greenoaks wrote:does +1 on each capital held mean a +1 auto deploy ?

also:
- if you made Sap-Neh a part of IMU and removed the dow between Sap-Neth and Khaset then IMU would have 4 terts & 2 borders for a bonus of 2.
- if you made Sema behdet a part of KHASU, placed a dow linking it to Theb-Ka and removed the dow between Sema behdet and Tetuh then KHASU would have 4 terts & 2 borders for a bonus of 2.

What is the objective of all this movement to create 2 bonus points for each continent, and don't forget the sea attack routes that create borders. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:18 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I would assume it's autodeploy, but I really can't tell. The capital symbols proper don't seem very Egyptian, but I could be wrong in that estimation.

yes it would be made autodeploy.
Those capital symbols are generic and i will change them....borrowed from old map.
Private cairnswk

Postby greenoaks on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:56 pm

cairnswk wrote:

also:

What is the objective of all this movement to create 2 bonus points for each continent, and don't forget the sea attack routes that create borders. :)
your mini-map shows the top 4 as having a bonus of 2 for the continent but when i looked at how you arrived at that i couldn't see how as some have 3 terts, others 5. i realise you might want some difference between them so players will prefer to get a drop on or prefer to conquer one part of the map and not another. also this is my first comment about bonuses in any thread so if it is out of line just disregard it.

also i believe i have included the sea routes but please point it out if you think my numbers are wrong.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:16 pm

greenoaks wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

also:

your mini-map shows the top 4 as having a bonus of 2 for the continent but when i looked at how you arrived at that i couldn't see how as some have 3 terts, others 5. i realise you might want some difference between them so players will prefer to get a drop on or prefer to conquer one part of the map and not another. also this is my first comment about bonuses in any thread so if it is out of line just disregard it.

also i believe i have included the sea routes but please point it out if you think my numbers are wrong.

no no...please don't take me as saying your not welcome to comment on these factors, I just wanted to know what you were getting at and why and i will take it into consideration for next version. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:39 am

Hi Cairns.

Excuse me...I might be wrong on this one but shouldn't that be +1 for each capital held?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:47 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:Hi Cairns.

Excuse me...I might be wrong on this one but shouldn't that be +1 for each capital held?

Ah, Ruben, there can be that as you say or there can be as stated. the difference is where you place the bonus in the xml. I was thinking that perhaps it would be good to have +1 on each capital held as an autodeplay rather than the actual bonus, as this is only a small map of 20 terts. What is your opinion?
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:10 am

cairnswk wrote:

Ah, Ruben, there can be that as you say or there can be as stated. the difference is where you place the bonus in the xml. I was thinking that perhaps it would be good to have +1 on each capital held as an autodeplay rather than the actual bonus, as this is only a small map of 20 terts. What is your opinion?

Do it :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby greenoaks on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:33 am

auto-deploy on capitals.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:01 pm

cairnswk wrote:

Yes, I agree with your logic Cairns.

Btw the last update is great. Before I had trouble with the similar colours.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:44 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Yes, I agree with your logic Cairns.

Btw the last update is great. Before I had trouble with the similar colours.

Thanks Ruben for the feedback.
Latest version 14 below ( i like to rollover the maps so there is one currentl version on each page.)
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:01 pm

i like this bonus structure a lot more... the auto-deployment on the capitals is a nice bonus, and since none of the capitals are borders territories it's like getting an extra army at the end of your turn. The legend has it right, though I'm sure somebody will misinterpret this and wonder why they didn't get their extra army. And since you're using a non-standard symbol for the capitals, you may want to include it in the legend.

The one thing that I think would make this map a bit more playable if if the territories were nudged out a bit from each other to create just a little more blue space between them. There are places in which the territories are so close they appear to be touching. You could definitely widen the Nile before it breaks into a delta - the Nile is the reason all of this exists, and it should be the centerpiece of the map.
Captain oaktown

Postby laci_mae on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi Cairns,

Nice update. I've got a small issue with the capitals. The legend reads "+1 on each capital held". Is that an autodeploy to each capital? If not, it should probably read +1 for each capital. I think the autodeploy (even if those started neutral) would be a fun gameplay feature.

Best,
LMR
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Sorry to hold up the update on this map folks. but i lost the layering in V14 and have to redo the enlargement from version 13 all over again.

The third map in this series Nubian Egypt is up in New Ideas and there will be a font change on all the three maps to coincide with the Papyrus font used on the Valley of The Kings map. :)
This will bring some consistency and one design element common across all 4 maps.
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:59 pm

since you asked, the colors work for me... for some reason they are even easier to tell apart in the legend, but whatever.
Captain oaktown

Postby hulmey on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:08 am

nice map!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Re: LOWER EGYPT V15

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:13 pm

Version 15.

Sorry, but i had to redo this whole map.

Changes:
1. Font is now papyrus in line with the same font being used in all the other Egyptian maps and the Valley of the Kings map.
2. new stylised glyph made for the capital cities constructed from the glyphs used to represent buildings
3. sea background
4. 20 terts named after the original nomes of this region

Private cairnswk

Re: LOWER EGYPT V15 (p10) [I] New map

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:06 pm

I like this new version way better than the old style :D

One thing that I've been thinking about for a while is the color difference between the Nile and the Sea. There's a clear line where they meet, and I think the map would look better without it, but I'm not sure what the best way to go about changing that is. I think the best way is to do a gradient overlay on the Nile so it gets progressively darker as it approaches the Sea, or put one on the Sea so it gets lighter as it approaches the Nile. There are many other ways to change this, though, so do whatever seems best.
Captain ZeakCytho

Re: LOWER EGYPT V15 (p10) [I] New map

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:10 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I like this new version way better than the old style :D

One thing that I've been thinking about for a while is the color difference between the Nile and the Sea. There's a clear line where they meet, and I think the map would look better without it, but I'm not sure what the best way to go about changing that is. I think the best way is to do a gradient overlay on the Nile so it gets progressively darker as it approaches the Sea, or put one on the Sea so it gets lighter as it approaches the Nile. There are many other ways to change this, though, so do whatever seems best.

Thanks ZeakCytho....I had planned doing that gradient on the next version. :) It was on the old map, but becoz i had to redo the map, i lost that.
Private cairnswk

Re: LOWER EGYPT V16

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:38 am

Version 16.
I still haven't attended to the river mouths yet, but this version is just a tidy up of some aspects of fonting and capital bonus.

Private cairnswk

Re: LOWER EGYPT V16 (p10) [I] - Comments?

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:29 am

Is the +1 capital bonus a standard bonus or an autodeploy? If it's just a standard bonus, you should probably change the text to "+1 for each capital held"; if it's autodeploy, then "+1 autodeploy on each capital held"
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:15 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Is the +1 capital bonus a standard bonus or an autodeploy? If it's just a standard bonus, you should probably change the text to "+1 for each capital held"; if it's autodeploy, then "+1 autodeploy on each
capital held"

Fixed for you in Version 16 below. :)

Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:50 pm

The continent names being in the bonus description is great, but where they are right now only a couple show up (the top ones). Could you move the text around a little bit so that the territories themselves don't obscure whatever the continent names are?

Otherwise, the entire map looks really good, especially the gradient into the sea, though it could be more apparent switching from the Nile to the Mediterranean (gradient starts up the Nile just a bit).
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby greenoaks on Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:14 pm

you have two terts at the bottom of the map not labelled. in previous versions it said Upper Egypt.

is leaving that out an oversight or a plan ? maybe you could have an arrow with the words 'to Upper Egypt map' there.
Sergeant greenoaks

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas