Conquer Club

The Conquer 500

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Conquer 500 [D GR GP XML Beta] - 7/2 Beta Update Re

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:29 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:This should make one of the games I'm currently playing in a little more interesting. One player stuck in the equipment, piling on to his stacks each turn. Just hope he goes for the track rather than the other player sharing the bonuses (me).

I'm not sure what the final result of this change will be but I expect that we will see slightly less troops stacked in the pits and it should make it possible to get back into the race a bit quicker as well as remove that boring grind that can occur when troops can get trapped.

In any case I expect this change to be the final for beta.

=D13=

Yeah, getting stuck is an issue. If this latest change causes some unforeseen issue (I'm not seeing that it would, but you never know), a different potential fix could be that if you only control equipment, you're out of the game (similar to controlling only Home Runs on the Baseball board).
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:03 pm

GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:
GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:This should make one of the games I'm currently playing in a little more interesting. One player stuck in the equipment, piling on to his stacks each turn. Just hope he goes for the track rather than the other player sharing the bonuses (me).

I'm not sure what the final result of this change will be but I expect that we will see slightly less troops stacked in the pits and it should make it possible to get back into the race a bit quicker as well as remove that boring grind that can occur when troops can get trapped.

=D13=

Yeah, getting stuck is an issue. If this latest change causes some unforeseen issue (I'm not seeing that it would, but you never know), a different potential fix could be that if you only control equipment, you're out of the game (similar to controlling only Home Runs on the Baseball board).

We shall see soon enough =)

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby waauw on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:44 am

dolomite13 wrote:

=D13=

actually with these changes, I would expect even more troops to get stacked into the pit equipment at the start of the game. The connection with the pit row, gives an extra incentive to focus less on track and more on pit.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:56 am

waauw wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:

=D13=

actually with these changes, I would expect even more troops to get stacked into the pit equipment at the start of the game. The connection with the pit row, gives an extra incentive to focus less on track and more on pit.

Could be. That's one of the reasons I suggested the out-of-the-game scenario if unforeseen issues were created by the latest change. That would reduce the focus on the equipment.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby waauw on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:00 am

GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
waauw wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:

=D13=

Could be. That's one of the reasons I suggested the out-of-the-game scenario if unforeseen issues were created by the latest change. That would reduce the focus on the equipment.

what might be fun is to only connect the A-part of the pit equipment to the pit row(more fighting between pitequipment troops themselves). could be an interesting twist to the game I think.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:42 am

waauw wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:

=D13=

I originally considered conditional borders so that you would need all 3 of a piece of equipment and then you would get access to pit row but allowing all pit equipment to access pit row should change how people view the pit equipment.

If one of the foundry foremen thinks that having all of the pit equipment access the pit row is excessive and that having that conditional border to promote fighting in the pits I would consider that change before this update goes out. Although i'm not sure where I could cram that into the key on this map ;)

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:00 am

dolomite13 wrote:
waauw wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:

=D13=

I originally considered conditional borders so that you would need all 3 of a piece of equipment and then you would get access to pit row but allowing all pit equipment to access pit row should change how people view the pit equipment.

If one of the foundry foremen thinks that having all of the pit equipment access the pit row is excessive and that having that conditional border to promote fighting in the pits I would consider that change before this update goes out. Although i'm not sure where I could cram that into the key on this map ;)

=D13=

I think this map/board/whatever-you-prefer-to-call-it is already sufficiently complicated to play. Limiting attack of Pit Row to only one equipment spot is on the cusp of challenging strategy and frustrating strategy. In a Trench game, you would have to overcome a potential stack to get to the attack position and then potentially another neutral stack of 20 on Pit Row. I think people wouldn't bother unless they had a huge advantage in troops; you're likely not to that advantage if you're stuck in the equipment.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:05 pm

GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:
waauw wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:

=D13=

=D13=

I think this map/board/whatever-you-prefer-to-call-it is already sufficiently complicated to play. Limiting attack of Pit Row to only one equipment spot is on the cusp of challenging strategy and frustrating strategy. In a Trench game, you would have to overcome a potential stack to get to the attack position and then potentially another neutral stack of 20 on Pit Row. I think people wouldn't bother unless they had a huge advantage in troops; you're likely not to that advantage if you're stuck in the equipment.

True ...

The current changes should help with trapped troops and make it a little easier to get back into the race.

No need to make it more complicated.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: The Conquer 500 - 7/2 Latest Beta Update Ready

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:10 am

Here is an update to the xml ... looks like we had a small typo with "A Pit Tire" being used in place of "A Pit Tires" in the new Pit Stop bonus continent.

=D13=
Attachments
Conquer500s.xml
Updated XML - Map Version 1.1.6
(56.57 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
Cook dolomite13

Re: The Conquer 500 - 7/2 Latest Beta Update Ready

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:12 am

dolomite13 wrote:Here is an update to the xml ... looks like we had a small typo with "A Pit Tire" being used in place of "A Pit Tires" in the new Pit Stop bonus continent.

=D13=

Looks like the gameplay has been updated (based on my ability to attack Pit Row from the Pit Equipment), but not the map. That might cause confusion.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Re: The Conquer 500 - 7/19 - Minor XML Update (Ready For Upl

Postby ender516 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Try clearing your cache to ensure you do not have an old version of the image.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:52 pm

i dont think the images have been updated as i have tried on safari andchrome on my ipad and have cleared their cache multipletimes and still see the old images.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:54 pm

For what it's worth, there's something with the new XML that's causing BOB to sit at a 'Processing' state.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:09 pm

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:For what it's worth, there's something with the new XML that's causing BOB to sit at a 'Processing' state.

BOB?
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:45 pm

GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:For what it's worth, there's something with the new XML that's causing BOB to sit at a 'Processing' state.

BOB?

The add-on, if you're not familiar, go check it out in the Tools & Enhancements -> Available Tools section of the forum. It's a very invaluable tool. The Clickable Maps add-on is also very useful. The site clickable maps are garbage (as far as I'm concerned, anyway, since I'd rather use the menu dropdowns than them) and the add-on works a lot more intuitively.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:28 pm

I will send rds a PM to ask about the images. Expect the answer Monday.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dazza2008 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:49 am

That is happening with me too. I have to switch greasemonkey off to take turns on this map.
Corporal dazza2008

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:00 am

hmm.. hopefully Gilligan will check in because I am on the road with just an ipad till wednesday evening and can't look into that BOB issue.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:55 am

BOB cannot handle some of the xml features so it will not work now for this map. This is a BOB issue, not a map issue.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Gilligan on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:00 pm

koontz1973 wrote:BOB cannot handle some of the xml features so it will not work now for this map. This is a BOB issue, not a map issue.

Good, cause I'm on vacation in San Diego for another week. :)
Captain Gilligan

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Gilligan wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:BOB cannot handle some of the xml features so it will not work now for this map. This is a BOB issue, not a map issue.

Comic Con?
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby Gilligan on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:10 pm

GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

Comic Con?

Yeah, secondary mission though. My aunt and uncle live here.
Captain Gilligan

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:12 pm

i wanted to attend sdcc this year but ended up doing a familytrip to denver with wife and her family.

maybe next year.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dazza2008 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:59 am

I know its a BOB issue and not a map issue but will it get fixed? I like this map but its the only 1 that doesn't work. I might just have to stop playing this map.
Corporal dazza2008

Postby Gilligan on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:22 am

dazza2008 wrote:I know its a BOB issue and not a map issue but will it get fixed? I like this map but its the only 1 that doesn't work. I might just have to stop playing this map.

USA 2.1 and Labyrinth use XML features that BOB does not know. Asking about it here will get you no where, you have to go to the tools forum and post there.
Captain Gilligan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas