Conquer Club

Rail Africa [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: RAIL AFRICA [D] (V11)P8:What else do you want on this map?

Postby cairnswk on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:51 am

The Neon Peon wrote:I think we should just skip final forge and quench it right now. Everything on the map is done, which is why no one is commenting. I don't understand why this map has so few stamps.

SultanOfSurreal wrote:
The Neon Peon wrote:I think we should just skip final forge and quench it right now. Everything on the map is done, which is why no one is commenting. I don't understand why this map has so few stamps.

Pretty much agreed, I see nothing to keep this from at least getting dual gameplay/graphics stamps.

Guys, thanks for the vote of confidence.
But i am wondering if there is anything else that would make this map look more like the Flavour of Africa.
We already have the Railway station theme in the background, but do we need some animals, people's faces, flags, whatever on this to make it feel more Africa.
Or does it feel Africa just by the shape of the continent alone.
To be honest, i am almost happy with it, but I feel it is lacking something, adn i just can't put my finger on wht that is at present, so i was hoping for some suggestions from the foundry.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:56 am

cairnswk wrote:

SultanOfSurreal wrote:

Pretty much agreed, I see nothing to keep this from at least getting dual gameplay/graphics stamps.

But i am wondering if there is anything else that would make this map look more like the Flavour of Africa.
We already have the Railway station theme in the background, but do we need some animals, people's faces, flags, whatever on this to make it feel more Africa.
To be honest, i am almost happy with it, but I feel it is lacking something, adn i just can't put my finger on wht that is at present, so i was hoping for some suggestions from the foundry.

Maybe the way to look at this is in comparison to the other Rail maps (Australia, Europe, USA). What do any of those have aside from the geographic outline that suggests the location? My answer is, not much. I don't see much space for more decoration that won't simply be distracting clutter. You might brighten the colour of the border, to resemble African textiles more in my mind, but it might just make it too separate from the overall earth tone theme. I suspect you are worrying that this map is not up to the calibre of the other Rail maps, but I think it is.

Find us a philatelist, we need some stamps!
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:57 pm

cairnswk wrote:

SultanOfSurreal wrote:

the only suggestion I can see off the top of my head is darkening the color for the victoria falls express a smidge. it's hard to read on the bonus listing and it's kind of garish/contrasting with its background on the map.

If you want a more african-y feel, why not change the background picture to Victoria Falls or Kilimanjaro, or some other famous african landmark? I'd keep the subtle sepia tone like you have with the current background though of course.

It might also be elucidating to include the country of each city in the XML (and the drop-down attack list). For example, instead of CAI Cairo A, it would be CAI Cairo (Egypt) A. Or CAI Cairo, Egypt (A). I don't know about anyone else, but I find it interesting to know where these cities are exactly.
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:06 am

If you're thinking of an animal to accent the map, the King of the Jungle is a safe bet... but I think something simple and subtle should do it. How about a pith helmet? Question is how you might add it.... could put the ticket in the band around the helmet maybe?

eh a though... looks good, but I agree with you cairns, this map just needs that bit of African flavor to round it out.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:58 am

Any progress on getting some stamps up in this place?
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby AndrewB on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Here is the XML file:

http://bolonniy.com/CC/Rail_Africa_v1.xml

This version contains all territories and continent definitions.

TODO: Add Territory coordinates.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:40 pm

AndrewB wrote:Here is the XML file:

http://bolonniy.com/CC/Rail_Africa_v1.xml

This version contains all territories and continent definitions.

TODO: Add Territory coordinates.

Thanks AndrewB...good work so far. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:41 pm

ender516 wrote:...
Maybe the way to look at this is in comparison to the other Rail maps (Australia, Europe, USA). What do any of those have aside from the geographic outline that suggests the location? My answer is, not much. I don't see much space for more decoration that won't simply be distracting clutter. You might brighten the colour of the border, to resemble African textiles more in my mind, but it might just make it too separate from the overall earth tone theme. I suspect you are worrying that this map is not up to the calibre of the other Rail maps, but I think it is.

Find us a philatelist, we need some stamps!

Thanks ender516, yes we do need at least a gameplay stamp
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:45 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:If you're thinking of an animal to accent the map, the King of the Jungle is a safe bet... but I think something simple and subtle should do it. How about a pith helmet? Question is how you might add it.... could put the ticket in the band around the helmet maybe?
http://www.argoss.co.uk/pictures/pith_helmet.jpg
eh a though... looks good, but I agree with you cairns, this map just needs that bit of African flavor to round it out.

nice suggestion for the helmet, RedBaron0, and thank you. I think, however, the helmet is a hunting representation of colonialism (not to say the railway systems aren't of course, but....) of the past and perhaps more appropriate to another map version of Africa.
I have found some appropriate motifs but now just to get them on there....somewhere. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:46 pm

SultanOfSurreal wrote:Any progress on getting some stamps up in this place?

nope. not yet. they've all gone to ground :lol:
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL AFRICA [D] (V12)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:09 am

OK....problem s-o-l-v-e-d :)
the image needed people in it. Not too many just a few to give it life with some abstract design in the background.
So that some elements didn't clash, i had to reomve the desert and mountains from the map and re-color it so that the people also stood out.
Hope you like. :)

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL AFRICA [D] (V12)P10: Colour additions

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 am

I don't know if it's just me but I'm having a hard time reading lines F and M I know it's those two because I can read all the others. Is there any way you can change the color of those? Other than those two it is really looking to be a good map!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby ender516 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:20 am

isaiah40 wrote:I don't know if it's just me but I'm having a hard time reading lines F and M I know it's those two because I can read all the others. Is there any way you can change the color of those? Other than those two it is really looking to be a good map!

It's not just you, those are the hardest for me to read as well. Cairnswk, have you checked this map with the colour-blind tests yet? I'm not colour-blind, so I don't have the links to them at my fingertips, but it would be good to know if there are other colour issues here. As far as the ticket goes, sometimes forms are given backgrounds which alternate from line to line to aid reading across one row. I think rows F and M would show up better on the light beige used on the border of the ticket. Unfortunately, a simple alternation of backgrounds will not fix both of these (the first is on an even-numbered row, the second on a odd-numbered row). Perhaps a cycle of three backgrounds, light then medium then dark would work. Of course, in fixing these two rows, others may go bad. This could take a lot of experimenting.
I do like the new figures, but the imagery in the Arabian Peninsula is quite indistinct. I have no idea what I am seeing there.

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:24 pm

The earlier version is a lot better
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:02 pm

SultanOfSurreal wrote:The earlier version is a lot better

Would you like to elaborate on why you think that please.
I'm intertested to know your opinion :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:10 pm

isaiah40 wrote:...Is there any way you can change the color of those?...

Not Really Isaiah40, i've been thru this process quite considerably and these are the best colouts on that bakcground, however i will continue to tweak them as best i can.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:15 pm

It's not just you, those are the hardest for me to read as well. Cairnswk, have you checked this map with the colour-blind tests yet? I'm not colour-blind, so I don't have the links to them at my fingertips, but it would be good to know if there are other colour issues here. {/quote]

The rail maps are almost CB proof in that the lettering system beside the stations on the map indicates for CB players which line they are playing on. ;) So that I don't think this is an issue with the colours.

As far as the ticket goes, sometimes forms are given backgrounds which alternate from line to line to aid reading across one row. I think rows F and M would show up better on the light beige used on the border of the ticket. Unfortunately, a simple alternation of backgrounds will not fix both of these (the first is on an even-numbered row, the second on a odd-numbered row). Perhaps a cycle of three backgrounds, light then medium then dark would work. Of course, in fixing these two rows, others may go bad. This could take a lot of experimenting.

Yes even i have small difficulty seeing those on the small map, but the big map makes them much clearer.
I have experimented considerably with the colours and backgrounds for the tickets, and these are the best combos.
As i said i will continue to tweak in the hope that i find a balance.

I do like the new figures, but the imagery in the Arabian Peninsula is quite indistinct. I have no idea what I am seeing there.

I wouldn't worry about it...it's hang-over from the background image and should be almost gone now.....please F5 everyone for the new images above. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:33 pm

cairnswk wrote:
It's not just you, those are the hardest for me to read as well. Cairnswk, have you checked this map with the colour-blind tests yet? I'm not colour-blind, so I don't have the links to them at my fingertips, but it would be good to know if there are other colour issues here. {/quote]

The rail maps are almost CB proof in that the lettering system beside the stations on the map indicates for CB players which line they are playing on. ;) So that I don't think this is an issue with the colours.

As far as the ticket goes, sometimes forms are given backgrounds which alternate from line to line to aid reading across one row. I think rows F and M would show up better on the light beige used on the border of the ticket. Unfortunately, a simple alternation of backgrounds will not fix both of these (the first is on an even-numbered row, the second on a odd-numbered row). Perhaps a cycle of three backgrounds, light then medium then dark would work. Of course, in fixing these two rows, others may go bad. This could take a lot of experimenting.

Yes even i have small difficulty seeing those on the small map, but the big map makes them much clearer.
I have experimented considerably with the colours and backgrounds for the tickets, and these are the best combos.
As i said i will continue to tweak in the hope that i find a balance.

I wouldn't worry about it...it's hang-over from the background image and should be almost gone now.....please F5 everyone for the new images above. :)

You're right, I had forgotten that the letters duplicate the colour information. I was just thinking that if you were considering changing the colours for the sake of legibility in the legend, then you would not want to trade one problem for another.
And again, you're right, the legend on the large map is clear enough.
So, I guess I can live with the map as it stands. Good work!

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:45 pm

Okay I see now :oops: I guess I should look closer at the map. Well, it sure looks good! Can't wait to play!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:52 pm

cairnswk wrote:
SultanOfSurreal wrote:The earlier version is a lot better

Would you like to elaborate on why you think that please.
I'm intertested to know your opinion :)

I just prefer the texturing on the continent to the vague outlines of people in the background, if I have to choose (for whatever reason, since they're apparently mutually exclusive). The texture on the continent was really well-done and made it feel like you were actually playing in Africa. This version looks like a literal cardboard cutout in compaison. I don't think it's a very good trade-off.

also the people in the background look like weird zombies. Or something. They're unnatural looking, anyway.
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby cairnswk on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:36 pm

SultanOfSurreal wrote:...
I just prefer the texturing on the continent to the vague outlines of people in the background, if I have to choose (for whatever reason, since they're apparently mutually exclusive). The texture on the continent was really well-done and made it feel like you were actually playing in Africa. This version looks like a literal cardboard cutout in compaison. I don't think it's a very good trade-off.

also the people in the background look like weird zombies. Or something. They're unnatural looking, anyway.

Mmmm. OK, that''s your opinion and I respect you for that. :)
As mapmaker however, i didn't feel the same as you about the land texture. To me it felt like all that fuss going on on the continent was distracting from the stations and i didn't really like it after a while.
That's why i changed it. To my mind now the scene in the background depicts a scene quite typical in Afica with women carrying stuff on their head, and actually compliments the station scene and adds a small touch of colour to what was a very earthy map. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby AndrewB on Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:38 pm

Version 2 of XML is created.

But I would need to re-align some of the coordinates.

http://bolonniy.com/CC/Rail_Africa_v2.xml
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:06 pm

AndrewB wrote:Version 2 of XML is created.

But I would need to re-align some of the coordinates.

http://bolonniy.com/CC/Rail_Africa_v2.xml

AndrewB. that looks great. Thanks. :)
One small thing, the coordinates for PLZ are missing. <- Now Fixed.

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by cairnswk on Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby AndrewB on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Version 3 of XML is created.

Some coordinates are changes, PLZ is fixed

http://bolonniy.com/CC/Rail_Africa_v3.xml
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby cairnswk on Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:21 pm

AndrewB wrote:Version 3 of XML is created.

Some coordinates are changes, PLZ is fixed

http://bolonniy.com/CC/Rail_Africa_v3.xml

Thanks AndrewB....that image above is updated. :)
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas