Conquer Club

The HIVE [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Jumbo Hex Map *V2*

Postby derivative133 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:06 am

I would play it, but it will make for some loooong games. CC may need a new server!! Save your pennies Lack. :mrgreen:
Major derivative133

Postby Natali on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:38 am

On the first look of your map I thought Panzer General! This looks similar to it. Maybe if you put some, let's call it minimal theme. There was one suggestion, galaxy, one hex one star. It doesn't have to be complicated, something simple like classic Art or something similar. This way it looks to barren.
Captain Natali

Location: Zagreb, near one of the largest cementeries in Europe (Mirogoj)

Postby brett2000 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:36 am

Great Idea, I love the map because it is simple and easy to understand which will open it up to eveyone. The main issue I can see if it is realeased is the length of time a game would last and number of deadbeats that it would cause which would eventually spoil the gameplay and put players off. If there was some way to resolve this it would make a large difference to the popularity of the map. Also over time it could be utilised for larger games involving 16 players / teams.
Cook brett2000

Postby Blitzaholic on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:41 am

I voted yes, be nice to have a super big map ;)
General Blitzaholic

Postby LordHighJuicyPoo on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:44 am

I have been hoping for a larger map to play on other than world 2.1. I dig the map's size a lot! Borders could be made more clear. Lack of a theme doesn't bother me. Playability of the map is more important. Thanks for doing this.
Best Regards,
LHJP
Colonel LordHighJuicyPoo

Postby derrick196436 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:13 am

I think this would be a great map to play.....it looks very interesting.
Private 1st Class derrick196436

Postby Snowgun on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:57 am

Who the hell needs a theme? Just give it a really cool name.

Also, The borders need to be darkened.

I would also change the color scheme to more of a primary one rather than the pastels, it helps denote bonus differences and you can see the army count a little better.

Still need a theme? Are the nodes empty? If so just stick some sandworms or other graphics in there (for example).

Good idea though. good luck!
Sergeant Snowgun

Postby demy7 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:12 am

that's great idea, nice map to play
Brigadier demy7

Postby Bergepg0 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:36 am

I think it's really cool and I honestly wouldn't be too worried about its lack of "theme." When you think about it "Classic Shapes," doesn't really have a theme either. I think this would be a fun map to play.
Corporal Bergepg0

Postby Vinyl-Taliban on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:42 am

This map is just Image

Still, I do like it. Didn't have time to read all the replies in this thread yet, but my thoughts:

Borders appear fine for me.

Primary colours rather than pastel shades might well stand out a little more.

Are the nodes themselves a conquerable territory? If so, would there be a bonus for holding all, or a part thereof?

If the nodes are not conquerable territories, there is no way to tell which territory you will attack through it. Or will the nodes simply allow you to attack any connecting territory at the other nodes?

What about a super bonus if you if you hold all of a colour?

In terms of theme, it would be great to play as it is. I also think this would be crazy with a printed circuit board theme.

If it were to launch as it currently is, how long until it would be available to play on CC, do you think?
Major Vinyl-Taliban

Postby azhrei on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:48 am

The only reason why I wouldn't play it is because it looks kind of ugly.
Sergeant azhrei

Postby kennys777 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:54 am

There have not been too many beta maps recently that have interested me. So I commend you on the thought, dedication, and overzealousness of your brain patterns. I would play the map, give feedback, and ultimately play it as a terminator game. Even a speed game would suffice for me. I like it, can't say yet if I love it, but in due time there might be a fatal attraction! :)

It reminds me of Battle of the Bulge or Midway hex games I used to run as a kid, and its resemblance to Actium is good, love the hex maps!

I say run it!
Sergeant kennys777

Postby Andir on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:22 am

I voted yes. I don't understand why people object to more content. Just because you don't want to play it doesn't mean someone else won't as well.
Sergeant 1st Class Andir

Postby chubby2102000 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:28 am

I like the territory naming system in the 1st pic...as a truck driver who lives by roadmaps (using the number/letter grids to find destinations) and one who has played battleship alot, I could be very comfortable with it.
Sergeant 1st Class chubby2102000

Postby valio on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:25 am

I cant wait to play it
Sergeant 1st Class valio

Postby Halmir on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:03 pm

I know virtually nothing about coding the maps, only having read the guide on how to do it - but even I know that this is a shed load of code to be written, so well done to you for your ambition here! I like the fact that there are so many bonus zones, it gives everyone a chance even if they're battered in their main area. Give me a shout if you want a play tester?
Lieutenant Halmir

Postby qwertylpc on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:19 pm

the more i think about it the the worse it seems without a theme hundreds of blank old boring territs nothing interesting or special bonuses idk

but if u put a theme into it even if it was made up or somethin even players names, then it would be better, u can make it a huge battle or somehthin
-qwertylpc :D 8-) :lol:

My active tournaments looking for players
Q's "Hey you went first!"
Q's 1v1 NBA Playoffs
Q's Feudal Overlord

Game 9151351
Most Consecutive Troops Defeated 0
Most Consecutive Troops Lost 14
Major qwertylpc

Location: In front of a computer somewhere out there in the universe

Re: Jumbo Hex Map

Postby rouge02 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:23 pm

cena-rules wrote:I think the dark impassables should be made darker as I personally am having a hard time picking them out.
Also the node borders should be explained more. DO they only connect to other nodes or normal terrs as well?

I was thinking the same thing... Impassables should be made darker, more clear cut.
Corporal 1st Class rouge02

Postby rubntug on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:25 pm

i like it, needs a little work but it would be cool with the size of the map---more colour needed, darker borders, little things like that---let's play it....lol
Cook rubntug

Postby maxcst on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:34 pm

voted yes, nice map =D>
Major maxcst

Postby peanutsdad on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:37 pm

I voted yes, as i would play a map with that many territs whether it has a theme or not. Looks like a fun yet difficult map
Lieutenant peanutsdad

Postby Sgt.Bobo on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:47 pm

I only read about 5 pages, skimmed two more, then skipped to the end... I'm lazy :P

I say let it fly. If people don't like it they don't have to play it. I personally will like to play on such a huge map. At least I think I will.

If I can come up with any ideas that will help out the aesthetics I will post them.
Lieutenant Sgt.Bobo

Postby GabonX on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:53 pm

I like the idea of maps with high territory counts.

I think that there could be better graphics. Consider the way maps look in games like StarCraft and Command and Conquer..
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
saxitoxin wrote:I'm on Team GabonX
Captain GabonX

Postby MaleAlphaThree on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:14 pm

I was wondering when something like this would finally come. Conquer Man just isn't easy on the eyes, and it's kind of a pain in the ass with the bonuses.

I recommend moving the territ bonus up to 12 and removing the restriction, so that in an eight player game everyone starts out with almost all initial territs providing a bonus, and it will move the game faster. Also for the sake of a faster game, taking on something similar to Conquer Man with the adjusted territ bonuses, except less generous, would be nice like: 1-36 (normal bonus: every 3 up to +12), 37-72 (bonus every 6 territs up to +6), 73-108 (bonus every 9 up to +4), 109-144 (bonus every 12 up to +3), 145-189 (bonus every 15 up to +3), 190-243 (bonus every 18 up to +3), 244-306 (bonus every 21 up to +3), 307-330 (bonus for 24 territs of +1), last nail in the coffin since it will be endgame, anyway.

To balance out the power from the regular territ bonuses, the hex groups could be reduced to an every 3 territs plus 1 being: 3(+2), 6(+3), 9(+4), 12(+5), 15(+6). That way it's less important to hold specific hexes and more important to just attack your ass off pretty much the whole time. It's what everyone does on Conquer Man, anyway, if they aren't working on one of those lame build games that boring personalities are so fond of.
Captain MaleAlphaThree

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:18 pm

MaleAlphaThree wrote:That way it's less important to hold specific hexes and more important to just attack your ass off pretty much the whole time. It's what everyone does on Conquer Man, anyway, if they aren't working on one of those lame build games that boring personalities are so fond of.

I for one think attacking your ass off constantly is less interesting than struggling to control specific territories. There'll be plenty of ass off attacking either way, I suspect
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas