Conquer Club

The HIVE [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The HIVE (Jumbo Hex) *V14* - [AdvD, D,GP]

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:00 pm

porkenbeans wrote:I am interested to see what the map looks like with the color washed out. So that it is less assaulting on the eyes, once the armies are on the map. Just the color, not the black in the map, as that is needed at full strength. I know it will not look good until the armies are in place, so, it should be shown with them.
I already did that for you pork. Page 25.
Major WidowMakers

Re: The HIVE (Jumbo Hex) *V17*-*POLL* - [AdvD, D,GP]

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:53 pm

Looks good to me. I think the graphics are solid and deserving of the stamp. You've got my support.

The only nitpick that I could make was that it could be pleasing to see the 888's centered over the hex number, but I think that might be an impossibility. Plus, most numbers won't go to three digits anyway, unless you've got the color things on. Nothing to worry about I guess.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby MrBenn on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Looks good to me. I think the graphics are solid and deserving of the stamp. You've got my support.

The only nitpick that I could make was that it could be pleasing to see the 888's centered over the hex number, but I think that might be an impossibility. Plus, most numbers won't go to three digits anyway, unless you've got the color things on. Nothing to worry about I guess.

Three digit figures never get centred in the same way as 1 & 2-digits... I'm not really sure why that is, but there we go.

As far as stamping goes, once the font has been decided on, then I think we should be good to go.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Three digit figures never get centred in the same way as 1 & 2-digits... I'm not really sure why that is, but there we go.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say it's probably due to compability issues. Some maps may not have been made to accommodate 3 digits, so they may not have space on the left side of the troop circle, or if the numbers would go left of the circle, they would go over something such as territory names or other important stuff. Thus, all numbers beyond 2 digits are printed on the right side of the troop circle. You could argue that not all maps have room on the right side either, but if the 3-digit numbers were centered, then you would need space on both sides of the troop circle.

Besides, some might argue that when you have troop circles sized for 2 digits, it looks better to have at least 2/3 of the numbers inside the circle. Instead of 1 in the circle, and 2 halfway out...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:50 pm

natty_dread wrote:

The game engine setups where the digits are placed. I am not sure if lack ever really envisioned have this type of discussion when he made CC 3+ years ago.

But just to recap:
    -Single and double digits are centered
    -Triple and higher are added to the right side of the double centered digit.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:22 pm

Well Gothic Wins

Here are the latest version of the Large and small. I edited the spacing on Gothic a bit to properly centered the letters and numbers in the hexes. Small adjustments might still need to be made however.

SMALL VERSION 18
Click image to enlarge.

LARGE VERSION 4
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by WidowMakers on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:05 pm

SMALL Version 19 - Added upper and lower cross lines to the I's
Click image to enlarge.
Major WidowMakers

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:29 am

WM....i goota say thank you for your flexibility in this matter. :)
I can now read the samll map, and others who might be in a similar position, mayu have the same pleasant experience...and while i agree it might not be a desireable position to have two different fonts...i hope it wll lessen any compaints experienced for you.

I say,....STAMP IT! :lol:
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:21 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:I am interested to see what the map looks like with the color washed out. So that it is less assaulting on the eyes, once the armies are on the map. Just the color, not the black in the map, as that is needed at full strength. I know it will not look good until the armies are in place, so, it should be shown with them.
No, I mean really washed out. Once all those armies are added, the map seems to be fighting and competing, with all of that color, so, maybe it would be better to just let all of that army color take that battle. Let the map colors serve to contrast that by being very washed out. Pastel colors seems to me would do the trick. Besides, honeycomb wax is actually pretty colorless anyways. Only in the places where the honey is spilling out, should it have any real amount of color. I know that this will look very bland as you are working on it, but that blandness in the end, will in my opinion, give you the contrast that you need against all of that army color.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:40 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:
No, I mean really washed out. Once all those armies are added, the map seems to be fighting and competing, with all of that color, so, maybe it would be better to just let all of that army color take that battle. Let the map colors serve to contrast that by being very washed out. Pastel colors seems to me would do the trick. Besides, honeycomb wax is actually pretty colorless anyways. Only in the places where the honey is spilling out, should it have any real amount of color. I know that this will look very bland as you are working on it, but that blandness in the end, will in my opinion, give you the contrast that you need against all of that army color.

This will not work. You need color to differentiate the bonus groups. The more washed out, the harder to see. The 888 will only exist in several spots on a map at a time. NEVER will each hex contains 888 unless the players are doing it on purpose and that cannot be helped.

So:
1) Colors are needed to differentiate bonuses
2) Map will never all be filled with 888
Major WidowMakers

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:33 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

This will not work. You need color to differentiate the bonus groups. The more washed out, the harder to see. The 888 will only exist in several spots on a map at a time. NEVER will each hex contains 888 unless the players are doing it on purpose and that cannot be helped.

So:
1) Colors are needed to differentiate bonuses
2) Map will never all be filled with 888
I am not suggesting that you eliminate the color, just wash it out to the point that you can still differentiate the bonuses. Just try to make it as bland as possible. Even if there are only single digit armies everywhere, that is still a whole lot of color. It would only take you a second or two to do this. I would just like to see if I am right. If not, well you surely would not have wasted very much time. But if I am right, The improvement would be well worth the minimal effort.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby MrBenn on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:51 pm

PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:08 pm

*Clap clap clap clap clap*
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:52 pm

porkenbeans wrote:I am not suggesting that you eliminate the color, just wash it out to the point that you can still differentiate the bonuses. Just try to make it as bland as possible. Even if there are only single digit armies everywhere, that is still a whole lot of color. It would only take you a second or two to do this. I would just like to see if I am right. If not, well you surely would not have wasted very much time. But if I am right, The improvement would be well worth the minimal effort.
I will do this for you pork. But it will not be today. We have plenty of time till the XML is even ready to be tested anyway.

Killer better get typing.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:09 pm

Cograts WM! Finally! =D> =D> =D> :P
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:56 am

Thanks everyone for the input and help so far.
Major WidowMakers

Postby killerpit4e on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:10 pm

Same as WM said
Thanks Every one
Private 1st Class killerpit4e

Re: The HIVE (Jumbo Hex) *V19*- [AdvD, D,GP,GX]

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:23 pm

You guys are very welcomed,
I believe that you have a winner here, and very proud, that I may have been of some help in it's production. Can not wait to play it. =D>
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby killerpit4e on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:33 pm

porkenbeans wrote:You guys are very welcomed,
I believe that you have a winner here, and very proud, that I may have been of some help in it's production. Can not wait to play it. =D>

i think once we get the xml done we might be able to get beta
Private 1st Class killerpit4e

Postby fumandomuerte on Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:58 am

Can you soften the borders? they look pixelated 8-[
Thanks to the CC staff for the perma-ban on ۩░▒▓₪№™℮₪▓▒░۩!
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:33 am

fumandomuerte wrote:Can you soften the borders? they look pixelated 8-[

they are supposed to. It was explained earlier why.
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:05 pm

A couple things that need to get worked out so we can get the XML done:
1) Storage Cell Neutral Count
    I also think the Storage cells need to start out as +3 neutral. They are only there to act as movement hubs. No need to have a high number
2) Options for ensuring no player in a 1v1 or 3 player game drops with 3-Hex bonuses
    A) Make one of every 3-Hex group a starting neutral of 3
    B) Set starting positions for 2 and 3 player games. Make sure each player gets 1 of the 3-hex terts
    C Both A&B

Discuss
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:42 pm

Updates:
1) Added Evil DIMwits sig. he has been helping out Killer with XML. Thanks
Once XML is done, we can post 88's and check connections.

To-Do: Lighten the colors a bit more for pork.

SMALL Version 20
Click image to enlarge.

LARGE Version 5
Click image to enlarge.
Major WidowMakers

Postby MrBenn on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:37 pm

WidowMakers wrote:2) Options for ensuring no player in a 1v1 or 3 player game drops with 3-Hex bonuses
    A) Make one of every 3-Hex group a starting neutral of 3
    B) Set starting positions for 2 and 3 player games. Make sure each player gets 1 of the 3-hex terts
    C Both A&B

Discuss

Part of me wonders if there is a way to do this with 6 starting positions, to try and fix it for up to 6 players... It can be done in such a way that in 2 player games (where each player gets 3 groups) the most a player will start with is one 3-hex group (which happens in 16/20 permutations)...

Hmmm :-k

My brain is fried thinking about it - perhaps just stick with fixing it for 3p games and let everything else be random...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:04 pm

Well how to starting positions work?

I mean don't we set them individually for each game type?
Major WidowMakers

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas