Conquer Club

The HIVE [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The HIVE *V20*- [AdvD, D,GP,GX,XML,FF,Beta]

Postby jammyjames on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:03 am

Okay quite a big suggestion here:

I played a speed game on this earlier with our man AAfitz Game 6319308

This game took us about 45 minutes to complete, most of the time was spent mopping up armies at the end of the game, i think that instead of the middle honeycomb we could have say an objective with 1000 men on it... this would make finishing the game so much quicker and easier. either that or put say 400 armies on it, and then make it a bombardment spot to bombard all territs...

Just a suggestion
Corporal 1st Class jammyjames

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:26 pm

jammyjames wrote:Okay quite a big suggestion here:

This game took us about 45 minutes to complete, most of the time was spent mopping up armies at the end of the game, i think that instead of the middle honeycomb we could have say an objective with 1000 men on it... this would make finishing the game so much quicker and easier. either that or put say 400 armies on it, and then make it a bombardment spot to bombard all territs...

Just a suggestion

The Queen bee - perhaps?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:28 pm

natty_dread wrote:I guess it's for consistency, no other map has a "the" in front in the map list...

That is just plain untrue.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
natty_dread wrote:I guess it's for consistency, no other map has a "the" in front in the map list...

Yeah - such an easy check...

I'm glad that we don't have so many maps that the 'the' gets appended instead of prepended.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:35 pm

yeti_c wrote:

Just a suggestion

C.

Sounds like a grand idea!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby natty dread on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:45 pm

yeti_c wrote:
Evil DIMwit wrote:

Yeah - such an easy check...

I'm glad that we don't have so many maps that the 'the' gets appended instead of prepended.

C.

Ok yeah, The Citadel... ONE map with "The" in front... (and I'm talking about the names that show up on "browse maps" not the actual map names!)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Rakio on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:55 pm

Unnecessary to have "The" in the map name(as of the create game list etc).
Just messes up the order. "The Citadel" should be "Citadel" to be more consistent with other names and order.
Nothing wrong with "Hive" IMHO. "Beehive" might be even better ;) No big deal but is there a need for appending "The"?
Discover & Settle - a new land.
A map not in the making currently. Please have a look and comment anyway? :)
Cadet Rakio

Postby skeletonboy on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:32 am

Is anyone else getting patches of the map really blurry? Its so bad its hard to tell between neutral and grey. Probably just my laptop though.
Sergeant skeletonboy

Postby natty dread on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:59 am

Clean your monitor.

Postby skeletonboy on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am

Its not blurry anywhere else, just the numbers. Just a mo, ill get a screenshot.
Sergeant skeletonboy

Postby Rakio on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:29 am

Maybe your zoom in the browser is on?
That gets the number blurry, not just the white and slate ones.
Cadet Rakio

Postby skeletonboy on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:33 am

The blue number is normal, the orange one is blurred. You can see at the bottom what the orange should look like. Btw i havent edited it at all apart from cropping.
Sergeant skeletonboy

Postby natty dread on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:36 am

You have probably zoomed in in your browser. Try pressing ctrl-0 (if you use firefox) to reset the zoom to 100%.

Postby skeletonboy on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks, that worked. I probably should have checked that before posting here.
Sergeant skeletonboy

Postby 00iCon on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:10 pm

yeti_c wrote:

Just a suggestion

C.

+1 to that, though i have yet to experience a hunt for the last player. I wouldn't think that it would take more that 2 turns though...
Corporal 1st Class 00iCon

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:11 pm

00iCon wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

Just a suggestion

C.

+1 to that, though i have yet to experience a hunt for the last player. I wouldn't think that it would take more that 2 turns though...

Took like 10 for me…
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Just played my first round on this map. Looks awesome! One comment I have is that it is a little annoying that the territory names are not always ordered correctly in the drop down menus. For example, A11 comes before A2. Maybe there could be the extra zero before single digit numbers (A02 is before A11), although I admit that might not be visually pleasing. Could it be A2 on the map but A02 in the drop down menu?
-carlpgoodrich
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby ender516 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:18 am

carlpgoodrich wrote:Just played my first round on this map. Looks awesome! One comment I have is that it is a little annoying that the territory names are not always ordered correctly in the drop down menus. For example, A11 comes before A2. Maybe there could be the extra zero before single digit numbers (A02 is before A11), although I admit that might not be visually pleasing. Could it be A2 on the map but A02 in the drop down menu?
-carlpgoodrich

This kind of sorting is a problem wherever it is found (used to be on Classic Shapes, not sure where else), but making the name of a region different on the map and in the drop-down menu is NOT a good solution. Since this map uses its region names as coordinates, I can see that getting the order of the list right would be a good thing, so I would propose using that extra zero, both on the map and in the drop-down menu.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby ustus on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:58 am

the.killing.44 wrote:
00iCon wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

Just a suggestion

C.

Took like 10 for me…

Although I haven't gotten to try the map out yet, adding bombardment of any kind would put me off the map almost entirely. I have been watching the development of this map because I love classic gameplay without all the bells and whistles some ppl are so fond of (bombardment, i guess really, cuz i've come to like the idea of one way attacks). So for me, as soon as bombardments or an objective are introduced, the map loses a lot of its appeal. I'll probably still try it if that's the case, but to have a map this massive with purely classic gameplay would be worth ten rounds of mop-up to me. That's just my ten cents.
Corporal ustus

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:50 am

I wouldn't like bombardment on this map either. It's ok on some maps but not on this one...

Postby Rakio on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:11 pm

Anyway to speed how clicky works with this map?
Very interesting map but so tedious to play with clicky that it isnt enjoyable :/
Cadet Rakio

Postby ustus on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:50 pm

well, I could have told you clicky would be slower than other maps after seeing the first thread. The objective statement for the map was to make the largest possible map. High # of territs => long xml => slow clicky. And BOB. I don't use clicky, so I don't feel your pain there yet, but i just started a game on this map, and I expect BOB to annoy the heck out of me with slowness... but it's so big :) ...
Corporal ustus

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:41 pm

ender516 wrote:
carlpgoodrich wrote:Just played my first round on this map. Looks awesome! One comment I have is that it is a little annoying that the territory names are not always ordered correctly in the drop down menus. For example, A11 comes before A2. Maybe there could be the extra zero before single digit numbers (A02 is before A11), although I admit that might not be visually pleasing. Could it be A2 on the map but A02 in the drop down menu?
-carlpgoodrich

This kind of sorting is a problem wherever it is found (used to be on Classic Shapes, not sure where else), but making the name of a region different on the map and in the drop-down menu is NOT a good solution. Since this map uses its region names as coordinates, I can see that getting the order of the list right would be a good thing, so I would propose using that extra zero, both on the map and in the drop-down menu.

This is a suggestion worthy of some feedback...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 pm

I would propose using that extra zero, both on the map and in the drop-down menu.

I concur!

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:54 pm

The above mentioned numbering system has been used before in xml for Waterloo...where terts were numbered 01, 02, 03...10, 11, 12 etc.
If order in the xml is required then that is the way to go.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas