Conquer Club

[Official] Classic Revamp [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Classic Revamp (V9, page 30, 12/5/09)

Postby natty dread on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Can I be part of the 2nd beta game? I know I won't fit in to the first :p
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:25 pm

The first game on this map will be Game 1.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby natty dread on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:31 pm

smart ass... :D

Postby General Roy on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Great map! I'm looking forward to when it's online.
Atom1: I've lost my electrons! Atom2: Are you sure? Atom1: Yes I'm positive
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
Lieutenant General Roy

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:30 pm

General Roy wrote:Great map! I'm looking forward to when it's online.

Indeed indeed. Can't wait to play the map again.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby fumandomuerte on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:43 pm

Can I be a beta tester please?
Almost there sully, keep rolling.
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby sully800 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:50 pm

Thanks everyone! We can all be beta testers I think. Let's just grab a warm blanket, sit down with our laptops by the fire, and enjoy this winter by playing thousands of Classic games ;)

I should have the coordinates for the large version done soon (I hope).

cairnswk wrote:Sully800...congratulations on FF. It's at last on it's way.
The onyl thing i'd like to adjust is that Johannesburg be moved slightly inland off the coast. Any chance of that happening, if you8've got to adjust for NZ?

Can do. I did draw it a little too far toward the coast I guess. I tried to make each circle overlap some part of the city (in a lot of cases the city is not centered beneath the circle) but it currently looks like Johannesburg is beach front property
Major sully800

Postby crazykasama on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:01 pm

New Zealand is missing.
Cook crazykasama

Postby Robinette on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:00 am

crazykasama wrote:New Zealand is missing.

are u related to andy?

here, have a banana...
Brigadier Robinette

Re: [Official] Classic Revamp (V8, page 24, 11/21/09)

Postby lackattack on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:37 pm

Very nice work, sully and company =D>

Good call shrinking the large map down in size, too!
Sergeant lackattack

Postby edocsil on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:15 pm

looks fantastic, congrats on the FF. My only issue is the text saying anchorage and magadan are connected. It looks out of place and i believe most of us know how this board is supposed to play anyways.

Edoc'sil
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby Robinette on Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:02 am

okay... here's a list of tiny details if you want to bother with making some tweeks...

* The 7 in the Asia Globe appears to be slightly larger that the others, probably just due to the font, but might be worth a tweek...

* Dakar, Cairo & Dubai circles all appear way brighter, and a few others to a lesser degree... i know it's due to the background desert, but it would be nice to see that tweeked a bit...

* Some of the connections could be made to mimic airline routes a bit more... for example: Madrid/London/Stockholm could have one continuous line (exact same radius)... also NY/Chicago/Vancouver (to work, this would need to curve up, not down)... Dakar/Cario/Dubai... again, making the line continue perfectly... if you did this wherever it could be done it would help smooth out the overall look, so this too would be a nice tweek...

* And most important of all... it would be really nice to use the invite feature to include Robinette in the 1st beta game to be created... i know this would be an easy "fix", and well worth it just to prevent a particular person being tweeked a bit... ;)
Brigadier Robinette

Postby Jade Empire on Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:40 am

I realize that this is probably a mute point by this stage of the game, but I really miss the classic look of having each territory separated by borderlines. The original was always more like a political map than a satellite image. This obviously had the benefit of not needing these dominating, arching lines to define bordering countries, because they would be self evident in the borderlines themselves (With the obvious exceptions of trans-ocean connections such as Brazil and North Africa). Perhaps this is a potential copyright obstacle and was deliberately avoided? For me, those political borderlines from the original classic map was what made that map classic.

That being said, just about any revamp is welcome in place of "classic shapes" at this point, and good job on the revamp.
Colonel Jade Empire

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:16 am

Perhaps this is a potential copyright obstacle and was deliberately avoided?

You're a clever boy, aren't you :D

Postby Jade Empire on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

If it's a copyright issue, then how did we get away with using borderlines (and blatantly borrowed terms such as "Sauron" and "BagEnd") on the "Midgard" map? That map is a beautiful deviation of the old "Middle Earth" map because it uses political borderlines instead of these ugly connect-the-dots style maps. The more I look at this new map, the more it reminds me of the ungodly "classic shapes". Another example of a good "classic" deviation using political borderlines is the "classic art" map. If you ask me, it's perfect besides the names being ungeographical in nature (using capital cities instead of artist's names for example).

Political borderlines pleaaaaase! Lines are ugggly and lack awesomeness.
Colonel Jade Empire

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:23 pm

Lines fit with the theme, and were given the greenlight to be used by Lackattack. Borders, however, would be a touch too risky. Get away with what you can...and be happy with what you get, kind of thing! :)

This Classic REVAMP will be pretty stellar. Many people, both on the forum and off it, are looking forward to it.

--Andy

Postby skeletonboy on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:39 pm

Jade Empire wrote:If it's a copyright issue, then how did we get away with using borderlines (and blatantly borrowed terms such as "Sauron" and "BagEnd") on the "Midgard" map? That map is a beautiful deviation of the old "Middle Earth" map because it uses political borderlines instead of these ugly connect-the-dots style maps. The more I look at this new map, the more it reminds me of the ungodly "classic shapes". Another example of a good "classic" deviation using political borderlines is the "classic art" map. If you ask me, it's perfect besides the names being ungeographical in nature (using capital cities instead of artist's names for example).

Probably would be, except for a stupid thing called copyright :cry:
Last edited by skeletonboy on Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant skeletonboy

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:00 pm

skeletonboy wrote:
Jade Empire wrote:If it's a copyright issue, then how did we get away with using borderlines (and blatantly borrowed terms such as "Sauron" and "BagEnd") on the "Midgard" map? That map is a beautiful deviation of the old "Middle Earth" map because it uses political borderlines instead of these ugly connect-the-dots style maps. The more I look at this new map, the more it reminds me of the ungodly "classic shapes". Another example of a good "classic" deviation using political borderlines is the "classic art" map. If you ask me, it's perfect besides the names being ungeographical in nature (using capital cities instead of artist's names for example).

Propably would be, except for a stupid thing calledd copyright :cry:
Yes, S.boy is right.
This is the reason why CC has sepperated itself from Hasbro's Risk as much as possible. Even going so far as to call the dice, "Intensity cubes", and cards, "spoils".

It all may seem pretty damn silly, but I guess it works. Well so far anyways. Things may change if CC were ever to get really big. Then I do not think that Hasbro will have too much of a hard time with a lawsuit. Some time back I suggested to Lack that he could just head off all that mess, if he were to approach Hasbro with some kind of an offer. One that would let him retain his site and become some kind of a division of Hasbro, or a sister company. Hell he could even work out a deal to develop and run other Hasbro board games, online. He certainly has the experience and has already worked out most of the peccadilloes. Plus he would be able to take advantage of Hasbro's advertising might. He would also be able to hire some well paid professionals to work at his Hasbro's Conquer Club.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Plus he would be able to take advantage of Hasbro's advertising might. He would also be able to hire some well paid professionals to work at his Hasbro's Conquer Club.

I would absolutely hate to see that happen. It would destroy conquer club as we know it. I don't want some marketing director from Hasbro come and decide what kind of maps CC should have. The site would all too fast degenerate into a mindless, dumbed-down-for-the-masses-of-teenagers piece of crap...

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:56 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Plus he would be able to take advantage of Hasbro's advertising might. He would also be able to hire some well paid professionals to work at his Hasbro's Conquer Club.

I would absolutely hate to see that happen. It would destroy conquer club as we know it. I don't want some marketing director from Hasbro come and decide what kind of maps CC should have. The site would all too fast degenerate into a mindless, dumbed-down-for-the-masses-of-teenagers piece of crap...

I think a certain segment of the forum community thinks it already is that, but that's a topic for another topic! ;)

Did I mention I, and tons of users, both on the Forum, on Facebook, and everywhere are looking forward to the map?

--Andy

Postby ender516 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:05 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Did I mention I, and tons of users, both on the Forum, on Facebook, and everywhere are looking forward to the map?

--Andy

Looking forward to what, the Classic Revamp, or a Hasbro takeover of Conquer Club?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby MrBenn on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:53 am

ender516 wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Did I mention I, and tons of users, both on the Forum, on Facebook, and everywhere are looking forward to the map?

--Andy

Looking forward to what, the Classic Revamp, or a Hasbro takeover of Conquer Club?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:55 am

Bumping the latest image:

Click image to enlarge.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Grats on the forge...

Only thing I have to say is - remove the "Anchorage and Magadan are connected" bit at the top - because it's completely out of place...

ALSO - seriously - DO WE NEED IT?

Jade Empire wrote:Political borderlines pleaaaaase! Lines are ugggly and lack awesomeness.

I completely disagree with this...

How else do you think Cities are going to border each other?!

Having Cities that span a 42nd of the globe is an absolutely preposterous idea... wait - your from America - I bet you think that everyone in the UK lives in London.

C.Yes I know you're from Canada - it was an ironic joke...
Last edited by yeti_c on Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby jammyjames on Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:58 pm

yeti_c wrote:Grats on the forge...

Only thing I have to say is - remove the "Anchorage and Magadan are connected" bit at the top - because it's completely out of place...

ALSO - seriously - DO WE NEED IT?

Jade Empire wrote:Political borderlines pleaaaaase! Lines are ugggly and lack awesomeness.

I completely disagree with this...

How else do you think Cities are going to border each other?!

Having Cities that span a 42nd of the globe is an absolutely preposterous idea... wait - your from America - I bet you think that everyone in the UK lives in London.

C.Yes I know you're from Canada - it was an ironic joke...

totally awesome shutdown... its a lovely map and it looks like its going to be great. but determining countries etc through lines i agree is confusing and not as appetising on the eye. but you make a good point yeti after all i dont know any 42th of the globe citites..
Corporal 1st Class jammyjames

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas