Conquer Club

[Rules/MED] Cheaters should be stripped of medals [Rejected]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Cheaters should be stripped of their medals

Postby b00060 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:39 am

Lindax wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:I didn't know getting stripped of your premium is considered light... or getting website bans.

I consider "getting stripped of premium" a light sentence, you can simply buy it back.

I think cheaters should lose their medals and their points, can't buy those back.

Cheaters really f*ck up this site, why should they simply be able to pay 25 bucks and continue where they left off? Hit them where it hurts!

Not too mention the fact that many honest players lose their points (and medal chances) to cheaters....

Lx

Couldn't have said it any better Lindax!!!!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D>
Captain b00060

Postby b00060 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:43 am

blakebowling wrote:IMO, anyone found cheating should be busted, and reset (both to 1000, no medals). They should be allowed a single option to buy-back (as most people don't actually think it's monitored), and if they offend again, then they should be permanently website banned.

Agreed!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D>
Captain b00060

Postby rhp 1 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:26 pm

b00060 wrote:
blakebowling wrote:IMO, anyone found cheating should be busted, and reset (both to 1000, no medals). They should be allowed a single option to buy-back (as most people don't actually think it's monitored), and if they offend again, then they should be permanently website banned.

Agreed!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D>

+1
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby Hornet95 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:40 am

I agree Removal of Medals and Removal of Points should be two options that the powers that be have to punish a cheater. Just an option.
Major Hornet95

Postby spiesr on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:37 am

If any form of this suggestion is implemented, it needs to be done in a way which allows for the stripping (of points, medals, or whatever) to be easily and completely undone for the situations where a user is wrongly busted.
Captain spiesr

Postby hwhrhett on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:48 am

i like the idea of cheaters getting stripped of their medals... :-)
Cook hwhrhett

Postby The Voice on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:54 am

I like the stripping of medals, but I'm not so sure about a point reset. Presumably, most offenders will have amassed a great deal of points, and they just disappear after the reset. That doesn't help the players who have been cheated out of points. How about they are just kicked out of all active games?
Major The Voice

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:27 am

The Voice wrote:I like the stripping of medals, but I'm not so sure about a point reset. Presumably, most offenders will have amassed a great deal of points, and they just disappear after the reset. That doesn't help the players who have been cheated out of points.

Not only that, the ability to play at a lower rank would unfairly damage those they play after the reset.

I do also agree with the stripping of medals, however.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby deathcomesrippin on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:01 am

I agree with multis having their points reset. I still don't agree with stripping all of their medals.
Sergeant deathcomesrippin

Postby chapcrap on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:05 am

deathcomesrippin wrote:I agree with multis having their points reset. I still don't agree with stripping all of their medals.

If anything, it should be the opposite of this. Having a point reset effects the people they play next. If someone is actually at the level of a major/colonel and only has 1000 points, then they steal points from players.

Getting their medals stripped effects others in no way.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Woodruff on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:49 pm

chapcrap wrote:
deathcomesrippin wrote:I agree with multis having their points reset. I still don't agree with stripping all of their medals.

If anything, it should be the opposite of this. Having a point reset effects the people they play next. If someone is actually at the level of a major/colonel and only has 1000 points, then they steal points from players.

That's how I see it, as well.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Symmetry on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:17 am

chapcrap wrote:

I agree, that seems like a fair analysis.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby patrickaa317 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 pm

I think rather than stripping their medals, they get a nice shiny asterisk medal to add to their collection so that the community can easily identify those who have cheated. And I think this new medal should be backdated.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Woodruff on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:21 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:I think rather than stripping their medals, they get a nice shiny asterisk medal to add to their collection so that the community can easily identify those who have cheated. And I think this new medal should be backdated.

For my money, that's not obvious enough. But that's just me.

Postby agentcom on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Symmetry wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

I agree, that seems like a fair analysis.

Great point ... hadn't considered that.

What about a point penalty? Knock them down by 1000 points or something like that? Then there's not so much of a "penalty" to the next players. And if these people stop doing what they've been charged and convicted of doing, they shouldn't really be amassing points hand over fist like they were before. Basically send them back down closer to where they "should" be without punishing other users.
Colonel agentcom

Postby patrickaa317 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:21 pm

Woodruff wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:I think rather than stripping their medals, they get a nice shiny asterisk medal to add to their collection so that the community can easily identify those who have cheated. And I think this new medal should be backdated.

Well seeing as you are flying a silver rank rather than a gold rank, i think there is something else that can be said about your money. ;)
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:01 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Well seeing as you are flying a silver rank rather than a gold rank, i think there is something else that can be said about your money. ;)

Considering that I've accounted for more than $300 in tournament prizes alone for my tournaments, never mind the couple of years I was a premium myself, I'll have to suggest that the reason I am a silver rank has a lot more to do with a certain suggestion I posed in this forum than it does with anything else.

The idea that individuals don't buy premium simply because they're cheap or don't care about supporting or improving a site is a stupid one.

Postby jghost7 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Symmetry wrote:Players found guilty of cheating should be stripped of their medals

Looking at a few recent cases where players who have been cheating over a fairly sustained period of time have been caught out, there's a fair amount of consensus that the punishments are kind of light for premium players who cheat.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

A minor thing, but if a player has been cheating to gain points, it seems fair that they be stripped of the medals they have. If they're good enough to earn them under fair circumstances, they'll win them back under fair terms.

This suggestion is aimed at premium players only, and thus proposing an unbalanced punishment system. It would have to be implemented universally if at all.

Symmetry wrote:
deathcomesrippin wrote:Is it only multis you are worried about? The OP was kind of vague. All sorts of cheating can occur: If you are talking about multis, then that's one thing, but if you are talking about farming, then that's totally different. What cheaters do you mean?

Fair point, I was primarily thinking about people who used multis when I made the post. This coming off the back of a few threads in the C&A forum where people who had been regularly cheating with multi accounts kept their medals.

However I do agree with Lindax's points above.

This determination will be one of the main points of whether this has a chance to make it through. First thing that must be decided is what infractions specifically this suggestion would apply to. Trying to blanket this type of disciplinary action over all types of infractions would be ridiculous.

Secondly, you would have to have a fair way to determine what types and how many should be revoked. Once again, this seems like it would be a nightmare and a huge additional load to the C&A team to actually come up with hard numbers on affected victories and types.

There is a lot of disparity in opinions over what a fair use of this would be.

There is another issue with the implementation of this type of punishment. The fact that many of the "rules" are subjectively interpreted and standard definitions are avoided would create circumstances that would be unfair to the alleged rulebreaker. I would definitely not support any such measures to be imposed on any infraction that was not properly defined in the rules and the determination not subjective in any way, nor would I support the purely punitive measure as stated previously.

I think this suggestion needs to be more specific to have a true debate on whether to implement the suggestion.
What to punish and how.

There have been way too many cases ended unsatisfactorily to be comfortable with this potentially a blanket punishment.

agentcom wrote:If the choice (for ease of administration) was between stripped of all relevant medals or they status quo, I would vote for stripped of all medals and a point reset.
I would vote status quo if the rules interpretations were used currently, however if these were limited to specific instances with properly defined rules then maybe some consideration for a strip and a points penalty?

Don't let these guys buy back to their old level. As has been noted, this is far too light of a punishment. I would definitely support this for all multi accounts. There is no legitimate reason to have multis: Either you're gaming the system to gain points or you're playing games you want to without risking your points. For this, you should get a full point reset and stripped of all game medals.

The question will be harder with farming/ranching cases, especially as rules develop. Does someone who falls afoul of the "unwritten rules" of abuse of the system deserve to be stripped of their medals? Your answer to this will correlate to what you think is farming and how big of a problem it is.
Agreed thoroughly here. This is definitely among the most subjective of the rules. IE, -"Systematically Farming "New Recruits" may also systematically creating unappealing games that more savvy users avoid because of unpopular or niche game settings, thus luring New Recruits into stumbling into said games."- I can understand the desire to try to make things fair but saying I can't create a game type that I like without being labeled a 'farmer' and being subject to C&A discipline is kind of ridiculous not to mention vague. But this is only one example of many.

For flaming/baiting/bigotry, etc. abuse, maybe strip them of the less important but related medals of Ratings and General Contributions or Achievements. That's an appropriately mild punishment, I think.
I disagree here. Medal stripping just for the sake of medal stripping is just wrong.

For Freestyle turn abuse, maybe no points reset (or maybe still have that), but stripped of freestyle and team medals only. I don't know about the other settings.
I would love for you to expound here. I was looking for the rule for this but couldn't find it.

Just some thoughts I have. Oh, I'll put one more out there. I don't like adding much discretion to the C&A mods ruling abilities (causes too much confusion/animosity already), but there is a case to be made for allowing this as an instrument of discretionary punishment. Perhaps the true farmer, who is sending PMs to ?s and schooling them gets the point reset, ban/buyback option AND the medal stripping; whereas, someone who just set up a high percentage of games that happen to be joined by ?s gets some combination, but not all, of the above.
First part maybe if more defined rules appear. Second part not, see above.

Thanks,

J

ps

Lindax wrote:
ljex wrote:this is an awful suggestion...i got a guilty verdict of game throwing...should i have been stripped of all my medals for this?

as a side note, i never threw any games so this would only have compounded the annoyance of being found guilty of something i didnt do

Lx

PS: Don't they all say they're innocent? :P

The problem is that some are ...
Which is why if some form of this is implemented, it should be strictly regulated and should be used with well defined rules that do not require subjectivity from the presiding mod.
Major jghost7

Postby Symmetry on Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:45 pm

jghost7 wrote: ...
Which is why if some form of this is implemented, it should be strictly regulated and should be used with well defined rules that do not require subjectivity from the presiding mod.

Such a system is in place already, no? Regarding punishments already in place?

I don't see your point.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:17 pm

jghost7 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Players found guilty of cheating should be stripped of their medals

Looking at a few recent cases where players who have been cheating over a fairly sustained period of time have been caught out, there's a fair amount of consensus that the punishments are kind of light for premium players who cheat.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

A minor thing, but if a player has been cheating to gain points, it seems fair that they be stripped of the medals they have. If they're good enough to earn them under fair circumstances, they'll win them back under fair terms.

This suggestion is aimed at premium players only, and thus proposing an unbalanced punishment system. It would have to be implemented universally if at all.

Only premium players gain medals? I honestly did not realize that. I don't think it's true...is it?

Postby patrickaa317 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Woodruff wrote:Considering that I've accounted for more than $300 in tournament prizes alone for my tournaments, never mind the couple of years I was a premium myself, I'll have to suggest that the reason I am a silver rank has a lot more to do with a certain suggestion I posed in this forum than it does with anything else.

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:23 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Considering that I've accounted for more than $300 in tournament prizes alone for my tournaments, never mind the couple of years I was a premium myself, I'll have to suggest that the reason I am a silver rank has a lot more to do with a certain suggestion I posed in this forum than it does with anything else.

Click image to enlarge.

I'm not looking for praise, I am pointing out that the way the site is currently being run has convinced me that I don't want to support it financially any longer, but I do want to stay here and try to correct the ship so that it can once again be a site I would be happy to financially support. I was simply pointing out to you that your presumptions about my non-premium status (coming across to me that either I am cheap or don't care about the site) were likely in error.

But I see by your condescending response that you would prefer to just stick with whatever presumptions you had made anyway.

Postby patrickaa317 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Woodruff wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:

I'm not looking for praise, I am pointing out that the way the site is currently being run has convinced me that I don't want to support it financially any longer, but I do want to stay here and try to correct the ship so that it can once again be a site I would be happy to financially support. I was simply pointing out to you that your presumptions about my non-premium status (coming across to me that either I am cheap or don't care about the site) were likely in error.

But I see by your condescending response that you would prefer to just stick with whatever presumptions you had made anyway.

I didn't presume anything, I knew you used to be premium. I know you won't put your money in the site. I was just saying it's kinda ironic that you say "for your money, something on the site wouldn't be obvious enough." on a site that costs you know money.

It's like getting a free slurpee at 7-11 and saying "for my money, you think they'd be better". Even though you may have spent $7,000 in the store before, it doesn't matter because the current product you speak of was/is free. The past money you spent is essentially irrelevant to the situation.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:54 am

patrickaa317 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:

I didn't presume anything, I knew you used to be premium. I know you won't put your money in the site. I was just saying it's kinda ironic that you say "for your money, something on the site wouldn't be obvious enough." on a site that costs you know money.

It's like getting a free slurpee at 7-11 and saying "for my money, you think they'd be better". Even though you may have spent $7,000 in the store before, it doesn't matter because the current product you speak of was/is free. The past money you spent is essentially irrelevant to the situation.

"For my money" is simply an expression that generally relates as "In my view".

Postby patrickaa317 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:06 am

Woodruff wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

"For my money" is simply an expression that generally relates as "In my view".

Yes it is. That's why I was playing on the irony of the comment. Then you got all defensive and started talking about how much money you put in the site and how you were making a one man stand about not buying up until some changes are made.
Sergeant patrickaa317

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions