Conquer Club

[Rules] The invitation system

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Which Option would you choose from the 3?

Option 1
24%
Option 2
71%
Option 3
5%

Total votes : 38

[Rules] The invitation system

Postby Darwins_Bane on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:57 am

Concise description:

Option 1:
AndyDufresne wrote:
  • Eliminate Team Opponent Invitations for Public Games.
    • Invitations for Non-Team Games remain unchanged.

Option 2:
AndyDufresne wrote:
  • Establish a disciplinary procedure for those users that abuse/spam the invitation system.
    • Specific criteria to be defined.

• Added Feature many people would like to see:
    Bones2484 wrote:Would be nice if the foe feature would prevent us from getting invites from people on our list.

Option 3:
    No changes to the current system.

Specifics/Details:

borrowed from
    Commander62890 wrote:Option 1: Code it so that it's impossible to invite opponents to public games
    Issue(s):
    (a): There are some innocent CC players who would be inconvenienced by this addition
    (b): It would not necessarily stop the abusers. In the case of Klobber, he could just make the games private and do the exact same thing

Option 2: CC admin decides who is to be punished for abusing the system.
    Issue(s): It may put too much power in the hands of the admin, because it is difficult to create a clear set of rules that define what abuse of the invite system is. If a player is found guilty of abuse, the player will be immediately stripped of the privileges that allow him to invite players to the opposing team (even for private games)! This could be either a temporary or permanent ban, but that isn't really the issue with this option; the real problem would be that it is difficult to truly define abuse of the system, and that CC admin might have a little to much power. In my opinion, both Emmdizzle and Klobber would qualify as having abused the system. In the future, players who do what they did should first receive a temporary ban from inviting opponents; If they abuse it just one more time, they are permanently banned from inviting opponents.

Option 3:
    CC does absolutely nothing. Emmdizzle and Klobber are cleared, as are any future "abusers" of the invite system. Each time, there is public outcry, but in the end, people realize that CC doesn't give a flying f*ck about the general public.
    Issue(s): More than obvious, and I'm not going to take the time to spell them out for you.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
    less abuse of the invite system. I realize this sugg isnt perfect at all. there are glaring fallacies in it. But it's better than what currently goes on, and will help stop devaluation of the ranking system.
    EDIT: as has been previously stated, no rank filter still, just not being allowed to invite the opposing team in public games.

Commander62890 wrote:These would all be excellent additions to the site. I'm excited! =D>

I suppose there is only one thing left to ponder: Can the invite system still be abused via private team games?

If so, I would like to see Andy's second point come to fruition. If it is possible to abuse the private team games, then the only possible solution is intervention by team CC. And I would like to see the punishment be rather harsh. ;)

All in all, it looks pretty good to me. These additions would stop users like Emm and Klobber dead in their tracks, and if they wish to resort to private games, it's up to team CC to make the decision. There's really no way around that.

Cleaned up and edited to reflect all the points in the thread so far.
    Last edited by Darwins_Bane on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
    high score : 2294
    02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
    10/11/2010 02:59:39 ‹TheForgivenOne› No.
    Corporal Darwins_Bane

Re: Invites in team games

Postby Joodoo on Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:54 pm

There are certainly cases where another team may actually want to be invited, but usually that is not the case.
    Overall it seems like a plausible solution to the invite system abuse.
    TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
    Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby lord voldemort on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:07 pm

this would be super annoying for clans...
    There needs to be a better soloution
    Lieutenant lord voldemort

Should NOT be Allowed to Invite people of opposing team.

Postby jak111 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Concise description:
    • Many people have been witnessed and reported with misuse of invite system. Emmdizzle and KLOBBER are 2 cases that are pretty serious but no rules as of yet. Well I believe we should make some ground rules there... They BOTH make doubles games and invite low ranked players, 1 to each team to their games. (KLOBBER invites cooks to his... >.>) And due to this misuse I think their should be a community voting on whether or not inviting 1 opposing teammates to each team should be illegal or not.

Specifics/Details:
    • If the new rule passes these should be put in place
      -no inviting members under Private First Class to team doubles and putting them 1 on each team so ACTUAL teams cannot play in PUBLIC games.
      -and no doing such thing repeatedly where you invite 1 person to each team.

or another option if the rule passes.
      -NO inviting any opposing team members at all in public games.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
    • It would benefit the site GREATLY. There would be less complaints of farming from high ranking players, more chance of more members staying since they are not being farmed by people who believe points is everything. No more complaints by me about how dumb it is that these people get away with farming low levels all the time, and probably about another majority of the community as well...

MORE ADVANCED OPTION THAT'D REQUIRE WORK... (optional)
    show
    Highest Rank:
    Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
    Private 1st Class jak111

Re: Should NOT be Allowed to Invite people of opposing team.

Postby jrh_cardinal on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:32 pm

there's already a suggestion on this that someone posted this morning. However, this is a bad suggestion.Sure it would stop the abuse but it would also inhibit everyone else that is doing it correctly.

the best option would be to just punish the two abusers...
    Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby jrh_cardinal on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:33 pm

lord voldemort wrote:this would be super annoying for clans...

there's an extremely easy one
    Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby jak111 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:36 pm

but that can't happen UNLESS there's a rule in place. only way to do so from what I see is see if the mods are willing to let the community vote on it.

P.S I said public games, if their doing it correctly they could invite them to PRIVATE games or even just have both online and make one and join quickly then they could invite their teammates...

Also... If the rule goes in place (can be modified by mods a bit to be a bit more accurate...) but if their caught inviting 1 LOW level member to each team... well that should definately be voted on whether it can be a new rule or not...
    Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby danfrank on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:02 pm

I was once a major now i am whatever.. I have been playing with a major for a couple of years now and he has kept his rank consistent.. According to your idea i would or he would be punished .. :roll: Clearly there is something better you can be doing than worrying about what others are up too.. :mrgreen:
    Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby squishyg on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:07 am

they can be punished (not that i would ever condone anything bad ever happening to my klobby wobby) without this weird specific rule that only punishes two people. i'm too bored to look up the various rules they can be punished under, but they could certainly be punished.
    There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
    Robinette wrote:
    Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
    The coolest is squishyg
    Captain squishyg

Postby jefjef on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:18 am

The only time I invite opponents are when I want to invite a cook or cadet so I can get a non team/deadbeats to play and win some easy points.

Seriously. It only makes sense to NOT be able to invite opponents. If you have a team lined up to play against when you create the game then make it private. But to be able to manipulate your opponent team on a public game should be blocked.

(Drop the rank part of your sugg. CC will not support any form of rank segregation)
    This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
    drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
    Colonel jefjef

Postby AAFitz on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:24 am

I didnt expect to agree with this when I looked, but it really makes sense. The only benefit of invites on team games, is for those abusing the system. For the rest, the private game function serves the same purpose.
    I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
    Too much. I know.
    Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby Hamanu on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:43 am

Agreed, inviting team mates is useful, inviting opponents is predominantly abusive.
    Brigadier Hamanu

Postby Hamanu on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:45 am

lord voldemort wrote:this would be super annoying for clans...

Why would it be annoying? Clan games get posted, team leader invites his teammates and the opposing team does the same. The only time when this would be an issue is in inner clan games, maybe, but that's what private games are for and I'd personally sacrifice a little bit of convenience to stop the abuse of the invite system.
    Brigadier Hamanu

Postby pmchugh on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:52 am

I don't think you should limit the invite system just to accomidate for a few players with cheap tactics.

The thing to do is change the rules so that invite abuse is punishable by a point reset.
    2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
    2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
    Major pmchugh

Postby jak111 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:19 am

see that's what I mean, inviting opposing teammates in public games should not be allowed

and don't worry jef jef, that's probably more of an idea than anything that I came up with it keeps getting outta hand ;D

But ?'s, cadets, and cooks should ALL count as farming considering cadets and cooks are BELOW ?'s...
    Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:22 pm

Merged Darwin's and jak's threads.
    Game 1675072
    2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
    Major TheForgivenOne

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Perhaps we can brainstorm some better solutions to fix the invite abuse, from a coding stand point.

• Hm, so being unable to invite teams in general seems like it creates about just as many problems/headaches than the solution fixes.
    • Making it so you can only invite whole teams doesn't quite solve the issue of inviting a single person to create an inexperienced team, since one could invite a whole random team that would be inexperienced together.
    • Perhaps we could make it so you can only receive invitations from those on your friend list? That would solve some of the clan issues the first point had, but it seems like it would still have a negative impact on other areas.

I'll brainstorm some more---see if you all can think of something or a combination that might seem to work.

--Andy
    Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby eddie2 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:34 pm

it is simply and very easy 2 do

make a rule that stops this kind of abuse stop
    Lieutenant eddie2

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:46 pm

Disciplinary Rules should be one of the last 'solutions' we look into I think, since it doesn't really solve the issue.

--Andy

Postby eddie2 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:13 pm

no think off it like this.

rating abuse = they lose loss of ratings

forum abuse= forum ban

invites abuse = loss of the invite system

with forum abuse has it solved the issue. with rating abuse has it solved the issue.

now for invite abuse the current players that are doing this are doing it because there is no rule 2 stop it.so it would solve it because it would be punishable.

or classify chiefs as farming 2
    Lieutenant eddie2

Postby Incandenza on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:21 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Disciplinary Rules should be one of the last 'solutions' we look into I think, since it doesn't really solve the issue.

--Andy

I dunno about that. Mounting a few heads on the city gates tends to dissuade similarly-inclined people.
    THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
    Colonel Incandenza

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:30 pm

Lets still think of non-disciplinary ideas, as I think there is one out there if we can find.

For disciplinary ideas, I'm not sure if we can 'vacation' someone from invites, the way we do other functions on Conquer Club. It's all about the code. Moreover, they could still 'invite' the old fashioned way even if it was removed, by sending Private Messages or Wall Posts, so a disciplinary rule would have to be larger and more encompassing. But perhaps the 'extra leg work' of sending Private Messages/Wall Posts would make it less easy? Still seems like it would be an issue.

--Andy

Postby L M S on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:42 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Perhaps we can brainstorm some better solutions to fix the invite abuse, from a coding stand point.

• Hm, so being unable to invite teams in general seems like it creates about just as many problems/headaches than the solution fixes.
    • Making it so you can only invite whole teams doesn't quite solve the issue of inviting a single person to create an inexperienced team, since one could invite a whole random team that would be inexperienced together.
    • Perhaps we could make it so you can only receive invitations from those on your friend list? That would solve some of the clan issues the first point had, but it seems like it would still have a negative impact on other areas.

I'll brainstorm some more---see if you all can think of something or a combination that might seem to work.

--Andy

How about:
    -Change the auto email/PM script that is sent to the invitee (and start sending them again) so it reflects the name of the person/persons also invited to the game, make it easy to see? Take it a step further and highlight those invited to be on the same team? Probably gonna have to make in-boxes bigger to do this one, I wonder if all these PM's/emails could be sent to a separate folder only for this purpose?
    -Make it possible for each user to select the other members he/she is willing to play team games with?
    -Make it possible to exclude groups of users (on an individual user level) based on ranking, from being able to join team games with you?
    -Do away with invites for public games (only)?
    -When inviting other teams make it so the rank/points of all teams must be within say 200 points of each other? (Meh...maybe, this sounds better in my head.)
    -Limit the number of invites a user can send in a, day? week? month?

More ideas to come.
    “One of God's own prototypes.....never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
    Sergeant 1st Class L M S
    SoC Training Adviser

Postby danfrank on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:07 pm

well, i misread the original post and now i understand where your coming from. I dont invite opponents to my games. Just my teammate . Although some of the solutions offered including private games sound plausible . I thought possibbly having a register of teams , although some people will have more than 1 mate , the code will read as a registered team player. Newbies and players that dont play teamgames will not be able to be invited or join team games until registered.. :-s
    Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby Darwins_Bane on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:33 am

so what about clan games, forgive me, I dont know much about them. Are they private? in what ways are they different similar to other games. I ask because perhaps that will help make a better defined rule about invites. Obv private games would be excluded from the sugg. a register of teams wouldnt work very well i dont think. Knowing who sent the invite is part of the punishment process, not a step towards solving the problem, which is the point of this sugg.
    high score : 2294
    02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
    10/11/2010 02:59:39 ‹TheForgivenOne› No.
    Corporal Darwins_Bane

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions