Conquer Club

[GO] Change Flat Rate Name to Fixed Rates ( Spoils )

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Change Flat Rate Name to Fixed Rates

Postby Fazeem on Fri May 03, 2013 10:57 am

macbone wrote:"Fixed" and "flat" are merely synonyms. Call it fixed or flat rate, but to me it means the same thing. In fact, "fixed rate" could just as easily be applied to spoils where 3 cards = X, 4 cards = Y, and 5 cards = Z. There's nothing inherent in the word "fixed" that precludes it from being used to describe games with no variation in the value of a set of spoils. Adding an -S to the end of 'rate" has the same effect, whether you're talking about "flat rates" or "fixed rates."

I wholeheartedly disagree and have found examples to support my claim. I get it you guys like the name and see nothing wrong with it even though it is incorrect grammatically and in definition. Society has a tradition of using incorrect terms in application to various things Racists use a Incorrect term when referring to part of my ancestry, Given that most of the Slaves did not come from the Nation of Niger, Nobles and Peasants alike of for generations blindly accepted that Everything in Universe revolved around a flat world. There are numerous examples of people accepting and justifying things based solely on tradition and common understanding of a made up or false application of definition.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby spiesr on Fri May 03, 2013 11:39 am

At this point changing the name of Flat Rate and introducing a new setting using the old name will cause more confusion than it would cure. If you want to just add an 's' to end end if/when the single value option is added then that would probably be okay, but not necessarily important.
Captain spiesr

Postby zimmah on Fri May 03, 2013 4:32 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:I knew what you meant fazeem. You are not the first player to be confused by that.

However, the flat rate wording goes right back to RISK for DOS, sticks with RISK II and I doubt it will change. You just have to get used to the language we use. To some "Trench Warfare" implies eating Spam, singing "Its a long way to Tipperary" and not sticking your head up too high. To some, cyan and teal are different colors. Here on CC, we have our own language. I will leave this out for a while, and if there is tremendous interest, I won't put it into rejected.

cyan and teal áre different colors. or well, teal is a shade of cyan, so teal is cyan, but cyan isn't always teal. than, cyan as a color is not teal either.

here's the difference: cyan and teal
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Fazeem on Fri May 03, 2013 5:17 pm

spiesr wrote:At this point changing the name of Flat Rate and introducing a new setting using the old name will cause more confusion than it would cure. If you want to just add an 's' to end end if/when the single value option is added then that would probably be okay, but not necessarily important.

hey bub I bumped all the other threads on the topic why not merge them as it would do more justice for the subject for people tpo be able to easily read how this debate has raged on this site since from what I can see 2006
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby macbone on Sat May 04, 2013 4:55 am

Actually, fazeem, the racial slur you're referring to comes from the Portuguese/Spanish word for black, negro, and the now-derogatory French word nègre, and both of those words are from the Latin niger (again, "black"). The region Niger is named after the river, Ni Ger ("River Ger"). The river is unrelated to the Spanish/Portuguese word.

As for your other point, it's already been demonstrated that flat and fixed are synonyms. The flat tax idea is that everyone pays a fixed sales rate, and a fixed rate mortgage has a flat, unvarying interest rate.

Change the name if there's a compelling reason to do so, but there's already precedent (again cited in this thread) for using the term "flat rate".
Colonel macbone

actualluy the origin of Re: Change Flat Rate Name to Fixed R

Postby Fazeem on Sat May 04, 2013 11:01 am

macbone wrote:Actually, fazeem, the racial slur you're referring to comes from the Portuguese/Spanish word for black, negro, and the now-derogatory French word nègre, and both of those words are from the Latin niger (again, "black"). The region Niger is named after the river, Ni Ger ("River Ger"). The river is unrelated to the Spanish/Portuguese word.

As for your other point, it's already been demonstrated that flat and fixed are synonyms. The flat tax idea is that everyone pays a fixed sales rate, and a fixed rate mortgage has a flat, unvarying interest rate.

Change the name if there's a compelling reason to do so, but there's already precedent (again cited in this thread) for using the term "flat rate".

Actually the origin of the racial slur is debatable as there is historical evidence to support multiple different linguistic origins but the synonym level you claim is not entirely accurate. Flat Rate is singular any fool with google can do a search and prove that so precedence is no excuse for ignorance yet again in regards to the true topic at hand. Your examples again prove my point everyone you used describes a singular fixed rate someone early gave a great analogy every Flat Rate is Fixed but multiple Fixed Rates does not equal Flat. I get that people resist change but if the only compelling argument to do so is because at this moment multiple people are not clamoring for It I suggest that you guys merge all the threads on the subject I bumped and reassess the actual site Precedent for the request and True Flat Rate feature.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby greenoaks on Sat May 04, 2013 5:31 pm

i don't see a compelling reason to change. i see 1 person on a crusade.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby AslanTheKing on Sun May 05, 2013 5:03 pm

there are 4 !!! flat rates

4 for red,
6 for green,
8 for blue and
10 for mixed.

the colours are flat, 4 different flatrates
that simple
I used to roll the daizz
Feel the fear in my enemy´s eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:

Long live the Army Of Kings !

AOK

show: AOK Rocks
Sergeant 1st Class AslanTheKing

Postby Fazeem on Sun May 05, 2013 7:04 pm

AslanTheKing wrote:there are 4 !!! flat rates

4 for red,
6 for green,
8 for blue and
10 for mixed.

that simple

Exactly Like I said Plural "Flat Rates" Not Singular "Flat Rate" thank you for your support. This is not a 1 person crusade there are multiple threads on the subject with current activity in here and general discussions one in particular has 10 plus pages of tAlk on it. My suggestion is based on having both sides win, creating a new game play option and showing the forward thinking of the great site again wins all ways around.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby blakebowling on Sun May 05, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm going to go ahead and Reject this as it adds nothing to gameplay or the site overall.
Private blakebowling

Postby Fazeem on Sun May 05, 2013 8:13 pm

blakebowling wrote:I'm going to go ahead and Reject this as it adds nothing to gameplay or the site overall.

so none of yall are going to merge it with the multiple other threads on the subject? The gameplay it changes are a game where there is a true Flat Rate and a game where the Fixed rates that are currently called Flat Rate is still present? My SUggestion was a way to implement something that has been on the sites to do list since 2006(As referenced in the other thread in suggestions) and not lose a feature people like while adding another.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby spiesr on Sun May 05, 2013 8:26 pm

This is the only Suggestion thread to "Change Flat Rate Name to Fixed Rates" that I am aware of at the moment.
Captain spiesr

Postby AAFitz on Sun May 05, 2013 8:41 pm

I really like it and think it may have been an awesome idea 6 or 7 years ago.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby Fazeem on Sun May 05, 2013 10:22 pm

spiesr wrote:This is the only Suggestion thread to "Change Flat Rate Name to Fixed Rates" that I am aware of at the moment.

This whole idea is about being able to introduce a True Flat Rate while keeping what we already have. The explanation of the idea was a basis so that instituting a True Flat Rate card option could be done without losing the current Fixed Rates we have. This was a solution to a problem that existed with the implementation process and is a crucial component to not only doing so where noone loses but doing so where the site fixes a generally overlooked nom de guere and replaces it with accurate names.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby AslanTheKing on Mon May 06, 2013 4:04 am

Fazeem wrote:
AslanTheKing wrote:there are 4 !!! flat rates

4 for red,
6 for green,
8 for blue and
10 for mixed.

that simple

Exactly Like I said Plural "Flat Rates" Not Singular "Flat Rate" thank you for your support. This is not a 1 person crusade there are multiple threads on the subject with current activity in here and general discussions one in particular has 10 plus pages of tAlk on it. My suggestion is based on having both sides win, creating a new game play option and showing the forward thinking of the great site again wins all ways around.

its plural if u talk about all colours,
if u talk about red , its singular, since
with 3 red spoils u get a flat rate of 4 troops,

all together it makes them to flatrates,
but when u play and trade u have only 1 flatrate , according to colour the troops vary

its not a big deal, i think CC has other problems to fix first
and thats getting paying members
I used to roll the daizz
Feel the fear in my enemy´s eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:

Long live the Army Of Kings !

AOK

show: AOK Rocks
Sergeant 1st Class AslanTheKing

Postby agentcom on Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Fazeem wrote:
blakebowling wrote:I'm going to go ahead and Reject this as it adds nothing to gameplay or the site overall.

so none of yall are going to merge it with the multiple other threads on the subject? The gameplay it changes are a game where there is a true Flat Rate and a game where the Fixed rates that are currently called Flat Rate is still present? My SUggestion was a way to implement something that has been on the sites to do list since 2006(As referenced in the other thread in suggestions) and not lose a feature people like while adding another.

Post the links to them and we'll get to them when we can. There's not too much reason for us to do a bunch of digging on an idea that seems to be supported only by you and the people in these as yet un-cited threads.

Also, finding these threads means that you really should have posted in them rather than creating a new thread that has to be merged and creates more work for us.
Colonel agentcom

Next

Return to Suggestions