Conquer Club

bot language

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

bot language

Postby haha on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:08 am

I general think the language used by the bot's to be entertaining however language like "Hahaha, you play like two thirds of a male!" to be unnecessary and supporting a narrative of masculinity that is saying anything less then a "man" ( some one with a dick, and two balls) is weak and deserving of oppression. I find this to be particularly important because i imagine their to be many young minds in molding on this site as i first started playing here at the age of 14 some 10 years ago.I would advocate for recognition of the power of words, and suggest they are used more thoughtfully by bots and those whom program said bot's
Thanks
HAHA
Brigadier haha

Re: bot language

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:57 am

haha
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby clangfield on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:10 am

haha wrote:I general think the language used by the bot's to be entertaining however language like "Hahaha, you play like two thirds of a male!" to be unnecessary and supporting a narrative of masculinity that is saying anything less then a "man" ( some one with a dick, and two balls) is weak and deserving of oppression. I find this to be particularly important because i imagine their to be many young minds in molding on this site as i first started playing here at the age of 14 some 10 years ago.I would advocate for recognition of the power of words, and suggest they are used more thoughtfully by bots and those whom program said bot's
Thanks
HAHA

I'd agree. Sadly there is a macho culture here in which one has to play "like a man" and have a thick skin (one could also argue that the use of "cupcake" is similarly offensive, but I know that the reaction to that is entirely predictable) and they have decided to make the bots join in with the "banter". Unfortunately I don't see it changing - you may just have to be grateful that they're not swearing at you. :(
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby owenshooter on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:10 pm

clangfield wrote:
haha wrote:I general think the language used by the bot's to be entertaining however language like "Hahaha, you play like two thirds of a male!" to be unnecessary and supporting a narrative of masculinity that is saying anything less then a "man" ( some one with a dick, and two balls) is weak and deserving of oppression. I find this to be particularly important because i imagine their to be many young minds in molding on this site as i first started playing here at the age of 14 some 10 years ago.I would advocate for recognition of the power of words, and suggest they are used more thoughtfully by bots and those whom program said bot's
Thanks
HAHA

I'd agree. Sadly there is a macho culture here in which one has to play "like a man" and have a thick skin (one could also argue that the use of "cupcake" is similarly offensive, but I know that the reaction to that is entirely predictable) and they have decided to make the bots join in with the "banter". Unfortunately I don't see it changing - you may just have to be grateful that they're not swearing at you. :(

and now... cupcake is offensive... ha!!! this guy grabs onto something and doesn't let it go... sigh...-Jésus noir

black jesus as a child
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby clangfield on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:21 pm

owenshooter wrote:
clangfield wrote:
Thanks
HAHA

I'd agree. Sadly there is a macho culture here in which one has to play "like a man" and have a thick skin (one could also argue that the use of "cupcake" is similarly offensive, but I know that the reaction to that is entirely predictable ) and they have decided to make the bots join in with the "banter". Unfortunately I don't see it changing - you may just have to be grateful that they're not swearing at you. :(

and now... cupcake is offensive... ha!!! this guy grabs onto something and doesn't let it go... sigh...-Jésus noir

Yep :roll:
This is, actually, a completely different debate.
As I said, one could argue it: it is used pejoratively; it implies delicacy and lack of strength, and general non-manliness; it could be seen as homophobic and/or sexist, depending on how one sees it. My point is merely that it is in the same class of comment as "two-thirds of a male" (and how would that comment apply or be interpreted if the opponent were female?), implying that inept or unsuccessful play is somehow less than masculine.
Unless, of course, you're using it to imply that the player is covered in icing, which may be entirely accurate.
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:32 pm

Don't be pathetic. It is in the same class as any pet name with a sarcastic twist, which is potentially all of them.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby clangfield on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:15 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:Don't be pathetic. It is in the same class as any pet name with a sarcastic twist, which is potentially all of them.

Whilst I agree that it can be used as a pet name, I suspect that most do not use it that way - I don't see anything affectionate in the phrase "suck it up, cupcake", it just comes across as macho to me. There are of course other threads about how words can be interpreted differently ("fag" being one of the more commonly-debated ones).

However, to return to the OP, should bots be perpetuating the macho approach? Is a phrase like "two-thirds of a male" going to alienate people - particularly females or young players?

I can see that some would prefer a site comprising people who never get offended by anything. That's fair enough, but my concern would be that it becomes niche and dwindles to a hard core, making it more difficult to attract new players.

ps I'll assume you're not being sarcastic...although it matters not, as the point still stands.
Lieutenant clangfield

Return to Suggestions