Conquer Club

Polymorphic Freestyle

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Polymorphic Freestyle

Postby Paddy The Cat on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:53 am

Polymorphic Freestyle

Concise description:
A natural, practical extension of freestyle into the polymorphic game type.

Specifics/Details:
1) Instead of having all 2-4 slots for each player take their turn simultaneously, play the turns as if it were a regular 1v1 freestyle game.
2) For example, a 3 slot polymorphic game would be as follows:
Red and yellow can begin their turn after the site mandated delay. They can play their turns simultaneously
Once they end, they must wait for the other to do so. Then, if yellow were to end first, green would be allowed to start the next turn when their ready and vice versa.
So, if red ends first, green can begin once yellow ends. Then once green begins his next turn, pink may start as well.
Once that player ends, blue or cyan can begin in a similar fashion.
3) This should be relatively easy to implement.
4) Even though I believe it is the natural extension of freestyle to polymorphic games, it can be seen as sort of a hybrid of sequential and freestyle games if you choose to think of it that way (if you wanted).
5) When a player is eliminated I see two possibilities.
A) The color that has been eliminated loses a turn, meaning that one player will get a double turn. (The first of this turn would be similar to a sequential turn, and so I do not advocate option A. If others do and this suggestion gains momentum this can be discussed later.)
B) The color that's been eliminated simply gets bypassed and the freestyle game continues as before, except with the eliminated player cycling though 1, 2 or 3 less players.

I.E. Three slot poly: Red gets eliminated by yellow. Once yellow ends, green can begin. Once green begins and he ends, then pink can take her turn, and she then ends. Once pink ends it is open for blue to play, and cyan can start. Once that turn ends, green can begin again and so can teal.

I think option B is interesting because each player would have to plan accordingly for this interesting change. I think the more skilled player would be more likely to exploit this difference, and in some cases it might even be able to be exploited as an advantage for that player if one of their slots gets a huge bonus.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
This would add a new twist to polymorphic games. It would make ending your turn before/after your opponent critically important in certain situations depending on how the game plays out. It would also make for some REALLY awesome and interesting speed freestyle games placing a huge emphasis on strategy and skill.

Also, I really like the idea of option B. It might actually be advantageous to try to eliminate one of your own people so their turn didn't get in the way. For example, if green in a 3 slot poly had a 20 bonus, and red and yellow have 3 men deploys only, while your opponent gets 8 for everyone, eliminating your own guys to allow green to go more frequently means you could actually give yourself a huge advantage this way (assuming no cards, for instance).

I admit this fact almost deterred me from suggesting this, but on second thought I think it actually makes the game MORE strategic. It would take some serious planning and strategy to know when and how to exploit this new twist, and adds a whole new layer to 1v1 games. It would also make it sometimes advantageous to try to keep a slot alive (but trapped) in such a way that you can use any given slots lack of board presence to your advantage. Even I admit I'm not sure how it would be best to play this... try to build evenly and gain bonuses evenly might be wise, but it might also be wise to beef up one slot and then take out the others!

I could go on about the possibilities all day but I'm sure you get the point...
Last edited by Paddy The Cat on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Paddy The Cat

Re: Polymorphic Freestyle

Postby owenshooter on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:20 am

how many polymorphic games are played on the site, monthly? i played poly almost exclusively as a premium, but i never got the sense that the community was large/huge... sounds interesting, but what would the pull be if you have to be premium to play poly? throw in that freestyle games are very hard to start and that the freestyle community is virtually non-existent, i just don't know what this would accomplish or who would play them. i mean, outside of you. i'm just thinking out loud. sounds cool, but i don't think the freestyle community is large enough to merit something like this. you'd really have to get some facts like how many games are played by each group that you are looking to combine...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Paddy The Cat on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:51 am

Fair enough, owenshooter. When I get some time I will try to dig up so numbers. But, I just thought it was a worthwhile suggestion that could generate some really unique game play. I know I'd play it a lot haha!

Also, it's an interesting point you bring up regarding the freestyle community on this site. It has declined significantly, but I think interesting ideas like this might help bring it back. I think freestyle is an interesting option and I'd love to see some ideas implemented to try to revive it.

Anyway, when I get some time, I'll do some research and get back to you.
Sergeant 1st Class Paddy The Cat

Postby owenshooter on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:36 am

Paddy The Cat wrote:Fair enough, owenshooter. When I get some time I will try to dig up so numbers. But, I just thought it was a worthwhile suggestion that could generate some really unique game play. I know I'd play it a lot haha!

Also, it's an interesting point you bring up regarding the freestyle community on this site. It has declined significantly, but I think interesting ideas like this might help bring it back. I think freestyle is an interesting option and I'd love to see some ideas implemented to try to revive it.

Anyway, when I get some time, I'll do some research and get back to you.

yeah... i think they could start by changing the rules back to what they were... i play poly and would probably try this (if i ever go premium again), just don't know how big that community is, as i said in my prior post... good luck...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby IcePack on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:35 am

Cool idea sounds fun

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby owenshooter on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:23 pm

IcePack wrote:Cool idea sounds fun

you always add so much to the conversation... :)
the black jesus has spoken...-Jésus noir
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby IcePack on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:38 pm

owenshooter wrote:
IcePack wrote:Cool idea sounds fun

you always add so much to the conversation... :)
the black jesus has spoken...-Jésus noir

Sometimes posting less is more, a creed perhaps you should consider more often. ;)
I didn't realize I came to the "must post a paragraph in support or against the suggestion" suggestion area. Kindly point me to the old suggestions forum where users were free to post short concise support / against suggestions suggestion area. Cuz that was were I meant to post.
Thanks

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Return to Suggestions