Conquer Club

[GO] [Rules] Rank Restricted Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

slot limit games

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:09 am

Concise description:
Allow folks, as an option, to select a "slot limit" game, open to those 3 ranks above and 5 ranks below their rank.

Specifics:
This would be an option, "slot limit game". It would be a public game, but one that would exlude folks much higher or lower in rank than the person starting this game.

The actual limits can be debated. Initially, I was thinking setting an upper limit of no more than 3 ranks above and a lower limit of no more than 5 ranks below thier rank when the game is set up OR the person's rank at the time the game is joined (this would depend on programming ease. Either the limits would be set when the game is begun OR would be 3 ranks up, 5 ranks below whatever the initiator's rank is when the new person decidedes to join the game.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
This is definitely a variation on an old theme. I fully recognize that CC has a long-standing policy that all games should be scored, etc. However, I think it is time to review that policy. I have noticed fewer and fewer public games for some time now. At first, I thought it just the "summer blip" or some such. BUT, when I have forgotten to check "private" when searching for games, I am shocked to see over 200 open private games... compared to less than a dozen public ones (sequential, 2 person particularly, but also other game types). Further, the public games are largely limited to a few folks who like to post 30 of the same game type and such.

On the one hand, there is nothing "wrong" with people playing their friends. It is part of what makes this site work. HOWEVER, at some point CC is going to become a mostly private site with few public games. I don't think that is really what you wanted in this site.

I don't know if my solution is the best. I am certainly interested in other ideas. I see two suggestions already out there. Cicero's and another each asking for differentiated score boards. I felt Cicero's idea, while well thought out, would be too arbitrary and too easy to manipulate. The other idea I just thought too complicated. (yes, ME saying that! : ) lol). This is an idea I have considered for some time.

The advantages of a slot limit are that it would be changeable as someone's rank (and skill changes.) Ideally, the "slots" would be broad enough that they would offer competition, both up and down, but just eliminate the out and out "out of my league" folks on the up side and the "this guy will ONLY win by luck ... and make me lose a bunch of points" on the downward side. The actual limits I suggested are absolutely debateable. (In fact, we may need a special rule to deal with cooks, since there are a number of folks who go out of their way to get that rank, though they actually are good players.)

I decided on 3 for an upper limit and 5 for a lower limit because I consider myself a basic sergeant in skill. I figure games with majors are reasonable, though I expect to lose. On the down side, I am actually happy to play even a cook, but I can see where those more into obtaining points would object.

But, the idea is that I could set a game, as an OPTION, that folks with very low rank or much higher rank could not join.
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Re: slot limit games

Postby Jeff Hardy on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:26 am

i love the idea but i think the player should be allowed to choose the limit
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there

Postby blakebowling on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:31 am

right, I say the user should be able to set "Rank Caps"

ex. At the Start a Game screen, the user has an option of "Minimum Rank" and "Maximum Rank" (can be left blank to have no Caps)
Private blakebowling

Postby Qwert on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:09 pm

these sound like discrimination sugestion. :?:
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Hotdoggie on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:17 pm

qwert wrote:these sound like discrimination sugestion. :?:

barely...its giving a little from what CC would prefer to have [no rank limits]...but it fixes the problem that public games suck atm.
PERSONAL BEST...
Score: 2802
Place: 120
Date: 16 / 2 / 2009
Lieutenant Hotdoggie

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:31 pm

I think this (or similar to) has been suggested multiple times
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:42 pm

Natewolfman wrote:I think this (or similar to) has been suggested multiple times

Similar, yes ... and I said so.

Mostly, people want to be able to set their own limits. That, however, can be far too exclusive.

The primary legitimate reasons for limiting who joins are behavior (foe list deals with this) and the fear of losing too many points or playing someone way outside one's skill level. I set the range at 3 above and 5 below because I felt that is a good rough range for skill.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby blakebowling on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:05 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Natewolfman wrote:I think this (or similar to) has been suggested multiple times

Mostly, people want to be able to set their own limits. That, however, can be far too exclusive.

The primary legitimate reasons for limiting who joins are behavior (foe list deals with this) and the fear of losing too many points or playing someone way outside one's skill level. I set the range at 3 above and 5 below because I felt that is a good rough range for skill.

what ab out having a range requirement (eg. at least 5 ranks would have to be included.)
Private blakebowling

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:35 pm

blakebowling wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:

what ab out having a range requirement (eg. at least 5 ranks would have to be included.)

That IS my suggestion ... I guess I was not clear enough, I will look again.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Jeff Hardy on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:23 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:

i dont like that at all
the gap between say... colonel and sergeant fc is HUGE
the user should be able to choose
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there

Postby Kotaro on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:32 pm

It's stupid to limit you games and discriminate against players just because they're lower ranks. If you care so much about your points, then start a private, passworded game. This is supposed to be a fun gaming site, and limiting who can play you because you're so worried about points takes the fun out of it.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:26 pm

Jeff Hardy wrote:the gap between say... colonel and sergeant fc is HUGE
the user should be able to choose

If you think the range I suggested is too wide, then that is definitely worth considering ... what gap would you like? But, I am regularly both and play many of each, which is why I don't think there is much differance.

Kotaro wrote:It's stupid to limit you games and discriminate against players just because they're lower ranks. If you care so much about your points, then start a private, passworded game. This is supposed to be a fun gaming site, and limiting who can play you because you're so worried about points takes the fun out of it.

How about reading before you comment?

I specifically am NOT "against lower ranks". (I am one!) I will play anyone. My issue is that if I start a team game, I will find myself facing a team of majors and brigadiers. Once in a while ... OK, I can learn. But, every time ... I just don't join unfilled team games any more.

Also, the point is that higher ranks already do avoid playing lower ranked players. They do it by having private games. This would be an option that would open up a few more games to those who like. The regular options would still exist.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby cicero on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:08 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:... point is that higher ranks already do avoid playing lower ranked players. They do it by having private games. This would be an option that would open up a few more games to those who like. The regular options would still exist.
I think that point is worth emphasising; this 'rank filter' or 'slot limit' as PLAYER describes it would actually open up more games to public competition since, at present, the only way those players that want it have of limiting entry to a game is to use the private game option which is a very blunt tool. This suggestion provides a much more subtle too which will be optional after all.
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Ranking as game option?

Postby Starfire73 on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:34 pm

Why not have a ranking selector as one of the game options? That way people of various ranks could designate the ranks they are willing to play with. It's like I'm a beer league slowpitch softball player, and in the game comes this major league baseball player. This should not be happening.
Private 1st Class Starfire73

Re: Ranking as game option?

Postby samuelc812 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:52 am

I don't see the point??
If you want to choose the ranks you play with just join a game that already has the ranks you want or get premium, create private games and invite the ranks you want to your private game ;)
Captain samuelc812

Re: Ranking as game option?

Postby cicero on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:02 am

Duplicate suggestion ...

[searching for the last time it was suggested now ...]

Cicero

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Create private games...create RANK based games!

Postby Themachine on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:31 am

Premise - Im a bit of a noob to CC, but the general consensus i get from reading these forums is the scoring system seems to piss people off, big time.

People create private games so as to avoid the possibility of a cook joining and taking lots of points from them, so why not let us create public games with a rank restriction?

Nothing too drastic, couldnt ban everyone of lower rank, but say, exclude anyone more than 3 ranks below you.
For example a sergent could exclude anyone below private first class from joining his game.

3 would be the max, couldnt exclude people 1 or 2 below you or no one of lower rank would get the chance to play better players.

We're allowed private games, dont see why this wouldnt be a good idea.
Corporal Themachine

Re: Create private games...create RANK based games!

Postby cicero on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:01 am

This thread duplicates the suggestion already being discussed in Optional Rank Criteria in order to Join. Please continue discussion in that thread.

Duplicate locked.

Cicero

Sergeant cicero

Blocking System

Postby Deathwind on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Ok i like to play 1v1 but i was a captain and this moron joins my game and wins after I had the game basically cause of a cash of 3 cards I think.He was like a cadet and took so many points(46 to be exact) from me.I think there should be a thing so you can block like guys of a certain rank or lower from joining your game....please do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Captain Deathwind

Re: Blocking System

Postby hecter on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:16 pm

No.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Deathwind on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:20 pm

huh?
Captain Deathwind

Postby hecter on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:31 pm

No. Terrible idea that's been suggested many, many times. I imagine Circero will be along any minute now to give you a thread to discuss this in and to lock this one.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Deathwind on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:36 pm

well I think its an awsome idea.Sorry about to many threads or whatever I didnt have time to look for a place to suggest this
Captain Deathwind

Postby The Neon Peon on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Deathwind wrote:well I think its an awsome idea.Sorry about to many threads or whatever I didnt have time to look for a place to suggest this

Foe everyone below sergeant. I did it once to all cooks, but then I decided against it to be nice.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Deathwind on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:16 pm

ya I actually try but there are so many of these noobs its too hard to get half of em
Captain Deathwind

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions