Conquer Club

[GP] Undo, Redo, Mulligan, Take Back Options

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: "Start Over Deployments" Button

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:35 pm

KLOBBER wrote:
MoB Deadly wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
MoB Deadly wrote:I am in favor of this idea, have lost games more than once because of deployment errors (example i want to deploy on barbarians 6, but I accidentally place on Feudal 6) I mean its just a dumb mistake that I wish could be taken back.

Yet how is that mistake any different than, for instance, not taking the time to notice that you didn't take over an entire bonus area (missing one non-apparent territory)? It's quite simply an error of attention to detail and the skillful player has the advantage of not making those nearly as often as the unskilled player. The game shouldn't be expected to spoonfeed your strategies and movements to you.

I agree with you that it is attention to detail and a skilled player will make it less often than unskilled players. I have learned to double and triple check, especially on maps like feudal. (BOB has helped as well because it has the number of troops on it in parenthesis). However, I am currently have 80 active games, its just tedious sometimes having to recheck to make sure I am going to the right territories.

Also, if you play Risk in real life, you aren't going to make a deployment mistake, (you can make dumb ones you regret later, but it is not going to be a mistake where you say I meant to place on this one but accidentally just placed them on that one instead.)

I am not saying this is a change that must be made because I make too many mistakes, I am just saying it would be a nice luxury to have without changing anything major, it's just one button.

MD makes good points.

Another major difference is that this suggestion would never affect any other player's moves or armies, which shows that Woody's comparison is a thoughtless one.

Incorrect...this suggestion absolutely WOULD affect all other players' moves and armies. After all, if a player screws themselves over by mis-deploying, that creates an advantage to every one of the other players (as it should). That is certainly "an affect" on everyone else in the game.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby oVo on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:47 pm

Actually a button to undo a choice you selected would be a "do over" button.

Maybe you should try suggesting a "Re-Turn" or "Turn Over" button that you can click
if your move doesn't come off as planned... so you can have another shot at it.

A "re-roll button" would also be cool to take of that dicey problem we all experience.
Major oVo

Re: "Start Over Reinforcements" Button

Postby oVo on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:54 pm

KLOBBER wrote:[modedit]<flame bait>[/modedit]

He's just erroneously pushing your buttons Woodruff.
Last edited by cicero on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoted flame bait removed
Major oVo

Postby EagleofGreenErth on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:27 am

Only thing I can see happening is if you accidentally go into forts, dont fort anything, and want to go back to attacks. I'd have NO problem with that.

Anything else, not going to happen.
Corporal 1st Class EagleofGreenErth

Re: "Continue Assaults" Button

Postby cicero on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:04 am

cicero, originally composing this post on 20 April 09, wrote:This topic locked for 24 hours ... or so. To allow people to cool down, consider the constructiveness of their posts and their responses to others.
Four posts have been deleted to restore the thread to the position it was in before the inappropriate posting started. One of those - by ender516 - was utterly constructive in itself as it pointed out the futility of the inappropriate posts. I have deleted that post only because it quoted the other inappropriate posts.

Now unlocked. Please play nice people.

Cicero
23 April 09
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby cicero on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:04 am

cicero, originally composing this post on 20 April 09, wrote:This topic locked for 24 hours ... or so. To allow people to cool down, consider the constructiveness of their posts and their responses to others.
This thread has since been heavily moderated. Several posts have been deleted and several have been modedited. All to remove flaming, trolling and flame baiting. Please check the Community Guidelines for Conquer Club's official stance on such things.

A genuine suggestion to participators in this thread and in Suggestions & Bug Reports generally: If you don't like an idea - don't post. One person posting back and forth to themself is not going to make a convincing case for 'strong community support'. I try only to post (when not forced to by a thread requiring moderation) in a thread for an idea I really don't like if there are multiple users supporting it. Also generally much more fun can be had posting constructively in a thread for an idea you do like rather than negatively in a thread for one you don't. Just, as they say, my 2c.

Cicero
23 April 09
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby cicero on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:19 am

Now unlocked. Please play nice people.

Cicero
23 April 09
Sergeant cicero

Redeployment Button?

Postby ahote on Mon May 18, 2009 12:53 pm

Resetting deployment

Is there anything that would speak against resetting deployment of troops?

I understand this is in a way an aspect of the game, but I'm not sure how valuable it is: to whit, accidental deployment due to a scroll, or misdeployemnt of the numbers of troops on a particular tert because of a scroll on the mouse, or whatever.

What if when you deployed, you could click a 'reset button' and re-deploy, before having attacked anyone?

Often I deploy and think, "hmm, maybe I should have put one less on XXXX and one more on YYYY....

Sometimes we CC addicts play in a hurry between a sip of coffee and a bite of muffin - mistakes can also be made which one relises immediately afterwards and before the turn is taken.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
    Accidental troop deployments due to electronic errors can be avoided
    This would mean that people don't forfeit games (as has happened probably to all of us) that we deserved to win except for the fact that we misdeployed.
    In the original game who's name we can no longer speak, redeployment was, as far as I can remember, allowed.
Sergeant 1st Class ahote

Re: Redeployment Button?

Postby lozzini on Mon May 18, 2009 1:14 pm

it would be good, but you would only be able to do it if no other player is taking there turns at the time (freestyle) apart from that i think it's a great idea as i have made this mistake many times :lol: :lol:
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby Rocketry on Mon May 18, 2009 3:10 pm

Would have to be seq only, but yeah. Good idea!

Rocket.
Lieutenant Rocketry

Postby The Neon Peon on Mon May 18, 2009 4:26 pm

It works on two conditions:

1. You have not made any attacks.
2. Sequential

I don't see much of a need for it, and I do not see it happening in the near future like all other suggestions, but a nice idea. A search before posting sometimes helps too, but not like we will run out of forum space.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Separate the deployment button and the country dropdown

Postby zorroh451 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:55 am

Concise description:
  • Change deployment button position.

Specifics:
  • I see that people have been asking for an 'undo' button for deployment. I would be satisfied just to have the scroll menu and the deployment button spread apart a little bit.
    I have on two occasions gone to hit the scroll button to chose my country to deploy in and have hit the deploy button by mistake and dropped them in the first place listed in the alpha list. It might actually help stop some of the requests for an undo. Excellent game! We have moved out of the country, and it allows my family and friends the chance to do something together that we love... Play Risk.
Cook zorroh451

Re: Separate the deployment button and the country dropdown

Postby Premier2k on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:21 am

Yeah, I have done that on more than one occasion! :lol:

A worthwile suggestion!

Prem.
Cadet Premier2k

Re: Separate the deployment button and the country dropdown

Postby 4myGod on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:51 pm

I have also went to hit the assault button thinking that I wasn't done assaulting but I actually conquered the country already so I ended up clicking the move troops button for after battle troop movements.
Sergeant 1st Class 4myGod

Re-do of placing troops

Postby rileyg25 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:45 pm

I think that the developers should give us a chance to re-do our reinforcement placements before our first attacks!!! I often will place troops on the wrong territory ... typically because the toggle territory selection is touchy. So, after placing troops at the beginning of the turn ... I think we should have the option to re-do our entire troop placement.

Or, before finalizing either 1) the placement of troops, 2) an attack, 3) reinforcements, 4) end of turn ... a info pop-up window should pop up and ask, "Are you sure you want to do [blank]?"

Re-do of placing troops:
  • give us an option to re-do our troops placement
  • add pop-ups to ask us if our troop placement is correct ... or if we want to end our turn, etc.

not sure what the above is ... so forgive me if I didn't post correctly.
Corporal rileyg25

Re: Re-do of placing troops

Postby Wolffystyle on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:47 pm

While I'm not discounting your suggestion, it's a good one, I'll point you in the direction of a user script called "clickable maps". Installing Clickable Maps prevents these misdeploys. If you use firefox, go ahead and install greasemonkey and then find clickable maps at userscripts.org. This prevents you from having to deal with drop down tabs and menus. Gluck.

I must also note that pop-up windows and other confirmations are awful for freestyle play. Also, the drawback to your suggestion is that players can strategically place troops in different parts around the board in freestyle games and then move them as they see an opponent's deploy. You'd see two players moving deployments back and forth for a long time each round. I don't think this is feasible or welcomed in freestyle play.

Wolffy~
moe wrote:Matted with hair, armed to the teeth, swift as the noble beast his screen name so "lovingly" embodies.. . ..

Wielding a hot dog in one hand and a fedora in the other. . . . .
Brigadier Wolffystyle

Postby Kotaro on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Can we have a re-do on dice too?
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:27 pm

While not quite similar to this---I know Lack has been wanting to do "Manual Initial Troop Placement" as an option, for a while now---which I think would help alleviate some unfair or skewed random drops---that is, if you know how to strategically place your Troops!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Kotaro on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:28 pm

Would that be optional, or forced upon us?

And how will this impact fog? Kinda shitty to have fog if you know where everyone is placed.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:34 pm

Initial Manual Troop Placement would be an option via the Start a Game screen.

The details of it, as Lack has it worked out, I think should be compatible with Fog. More to come whenever he does this update! ;)

--Andy

Postby neanderpaul14 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:18 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Initial Manual Troop Placement would be an option via the Start a Game screen.

The details of it, as Lack has it worked out, I think should be compatible with Fog. More to come whenever he does this update! ;)

--Andy

This sounds like an excellent option but ho would that work?? Would that be one army at a turn, or one terrie at a turn, or would you get ones on all your terries and then deploy the remaining armies????
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby pimphawks70 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:58 pm

neanderpaul14 wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Initial Manual Troop Placement would be an option via the Start a Game screen.

--Andy

This sounds like an excellent option but ho would that work?? Would that be one army at a turn, or one terrie at a turn, or would you get ones on all your terries and then deploy the remaining armies????

Yea it seems to me that it would make games extremely longer because setting them up would take days within themselves wouldn't it?

Just another way to farm???
Brigadier pimphawks70

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Perhaps there should be another topic to discuss the manual deployment. I believe there is at least one floating around in Suggestions somewhere. That said, Lack has some ideas I think that would make it an enjoyable and speedy setting.

--Andy

Postby danfrank on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Not all players Use FIREFOX...
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby wolfpack0530 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:59 am

i suggested this in another thread a while back pertaining to this subject. I propose you have 2 deployment rounds. the player who has the advantage of going first once play starts, has the disadvantage of deploying 50% of his troups first. Then every player after that in turn deploys half of their troups where ever they want. The second deployment round has everybody deploy the rest of their troups in turn. The person who has the disadvantage of playing last, has the advantage of seeing where everyone else is deployed and getting to deploy the last half of his troups last.

Honestly, in my mind, it really even things out, and can negate the constant 'luck' arguments about those acting first have an advantage!!

Feel free to tell me how awesome I am!!!
Captain wolfpack0530

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions