Hello again CC,
Again I apologies for the lateness of this issue being published. Again we have some late article from some and time constraints from myself. We are here now ready to give you yet another issue of the CC News!
This week we have our interview with Gilligan the Tournament Director, a brand new section called 'Ask a Mod' which will be run by Global Mod and Tournament Director Night Strike and all the usual news provided by the CC news team.
Have a good read,
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Fast News
- Tournament Interview with...
- Current Signups
- Editor's Note
- Tournament Newsletter, a new issue released, in a new home. (here)
- Last "Tournament Hall of Winner Update" by Gilligan
- Interview with Mr.Benn - submit your questions (here)
TOURNAMENT INTERVIEW WITH...
In this issue we have a small interview with 3 member. acores2005, PepeAtila and jricart.
Some new blood in the Tournaments Business...
They are going to organize a big international tournament:
Hi guys, talk about you.
- I am a teacher of Maths and I like to teach people.
- My name is Jose or Pepe, in Spanish are the same.
- Hi there! Well, what can I tell you about me! Im from Costa Rica, but for the last 5 years Im been living in Los Angeles, California. Im one of those very few "Ticos" in CC, and as I mention in my profile, "Im proud to be Latino!"
- About Conquer Club, for me, is the best place to play at real time. I prefer play alone but, sometimes I play dobles with a friend (danielcmr) that I dont know at real but I think that he his a good man. Conquer Club is a place to make friends! and enemies!
- I was playing Poker by Internet, just for fun. leolou2 invited me to come when in the conversation I told him what type of games I prefer.
- Im been a "Risk" fan since I was 21. I have an 80's Risk board, a PC game and a Pocket Windows Treo game. But I was looking online for something more realistic than my PC and Treo games, and thats how I found CC.
- Tournaments! I like organize but is difficult have new ideas with so many tournaments.
- Generally as far as I remember, but in CC?. I joined CC april 29th, one month later I began organizing tournements. And I have several projects to began after summer, mainly coorganizing.
- Im kind of newbie here in CC. I signed up in January/09 and I ran my first tournament in March.
- A successful tournament is difficult to organize if it have many players.
- Always it is easier taking the victory, at least you just have to play, you can try and try, also it deppend on the tournement, some of them you can take the victory just winning 2 match, easy to win and easy to organize.
Difficult is not the exact word, organizing is harder, you have to work, it is more a challenge. You have to use the imagination.
- I think is more difficult to take a victory, specilly if you are playing against the dices! jajajaja. Im a very organized guy and I found very easy to run them.
- The best tournament that I have organized it was my first one "Portugal Mini Tournament".
- Of course my first tournament. I was playing in it, but I think I should be just one reserve.
Seriously, after organizing tournaments I cannot say this is the best, but I know that some of them are a lot of more difficult to organize than others. I would like to thank all of them.
- The only one that I won: Small Maps 1v1 tournament 2. I won that against my mentor and doubles mate: DJ Teflon and I had a lot of fun, and it was easy to beat my sensei lol.
- No reply
- I try to learn as much as possible from every event I participate in, playing or organizing. Since the introduction of International tournement I am learning to work in a team. Even when for me, each tournament is international.
It is courious this International tournement is an opportunity to play with people from your country and language. From the begining I was surprized that in global settings I only can chose my language=“British English”.
- I came up with the idea of creating tournament for the Spanish speaking community when I was looking to join one in my language and only found 1 that already started. So I ask Gilligan how to create my own and he ask me to run one in English in order to have Privileges to run one in Spanish, so that was the Formula 1 2009 - Australian GP. So Im very satisfied for all the results organizing spanish tournaments and the english ones too, specially if you think that english is not my native language.
- The Latin tournament isnt my idea. The author is PepeAtila and he send me a PM to discover a portuguese player to organize to portuguese part and I accept. It will be a big, big tournament. The tournament will began at September.
- When I organized the first tournement I invited one friend to participate, he told me that I should explain it in Spanish. I realize that people enjoy more playing their own languages (mainly team games), later I contacted with Portugal tournement organizer, because we can understand each other, and we was thinking to make an Iberia languages tournement, then I thought that I also can understand Italian... then we were deeply thinking about the reason... Latin. CC is a world mainly in English, I began to contact with “good organizers” and I think we enjoy cooperating to be a bridge between the different languages players.
- I create a thread to get feedbacks and new ideas about the "Ultimo Hispano en Pie" and thats when I start talking and interchanging ideas with PepeAtila about tournaments in our language. So Pepe came up with this tournament idea and ask me to help him.
- No Reply
- We are going to make different tournaments, in different languages, but all of them connected as playoffs for an Interlingual(International) tournament. The way it works, make that even the organizers we are “in some how” playing, because deppending on how much people participate our languages are going to have more or less representatives in the Interlingual phase.
- Well, is a very complex tournament. There is 4 languages involve in this tournament: Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and French, all understandable languages coming from latin. There are 5 different divisions, and a very complex qualifying process. I think its better for everybody reading this Interview to read the English version of the tournament specs by clicking here
- No reply
- It is difficult to answer. The main I can see is how difficult to access to a Tournement is. Lot of the players of my tournaments are in their first tournament. So the first step (in my opinion) when somebody press “Start a game- Join Tournament” they should really find the tournaments …
- A think everything is fine for now, but more Tournament Organizer tools to simplify our work or a couple of free membership months for those who organize tournaments will help a lot lol.
- The three most important things to organize a successful tournament are: patience, time and dedication
- 1st. players feeling identified with the tournement. 2nd organizers wanting to work a lot and 3rd all of them enjoying what they are doing.
- Be really organized, Be polite and very communicative with the players, and quick creating and updating the games, so the players rely on you and come back on your future tourneys.
- At this time, I have runnig 3 tournaments: TIA, CC DOUBLES FRANCHISE LEAGUE and Brazil vs Portugal and I have some ideas for others 3 tournaments but the Latin tournament is in first place.
- Yes, 2 of them, I would like more, but summer time is coming. I feel very proud of them. I would like to congratulate all the players in my games.
- Yes. I had 16 tournaments so far, and 10 more coming in the next couples of weeks.
I have the "Conquistador Hispano" 1 vs 1 tournament series, the "Dobles Hispanos" a doubs tourney, and the most recent one: "Ultimo Hispano en Pie", a terminator tourney with 48 players. You might think 48 players are not a lot, but if you make some research in CC, the Spanish speaking community is not big, its growing, but only about 20% of this community have Premium Accounts, so it very difficult to host a tourney in our language.
Here below the last week current signups:
Scarlets' Society of Cooks & Friends Terminator
1vs1 Doodle in a Doodle
darkangelsguy205 age of reams 2
Super Quick Tourney Season 7
GR's Map Tour II "Continental"
b00060's Classic Shapes Tournament XII
Premier League 2009-2010
b00060's Gladiator Tournament
Cosa Nostra Tournament
ATP Tennis Tour
b00060's Captain of the Sea
"From the inside out" Tourney
LxDS: New World?
If you have some interesting ideas or suggestions about, please contact me with a PM.
Hiya there! No recently quenched map this week, but we've got some announcements … at least … *sighs*. I'll leave the elitism talk to Insomnia (save a link)…
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Recently Quenched & Beta Maps
- Foundry News & Announcements
- The Foundry Newsletter: Issue #22
- Map Incubator Experiment
- Author's Note
Recently Quenched & Beta Maps
- No maps were quenched this week, and there's only one semi-active map in the Final Forge, but there are a couple maps very close to finished. I'd like you all to head over to the Map Foundry and comment on some maps!
Foundry News & Announcements
Map Incubator Project
gimil and oaktown, our two beloved former CAs, have butted heads and come up with this idea — a kind of "Society of the Cooks" for the Foundry. It takes people who have signed up in the thread (come in and do that, if you haven't already!) and puts them into groups that will follow certain maps and somewhat introduce the people to the Foundry. Read the entire first post for the real what's-up!
There's been talk of Foundry Elitism (see Insomnia's thread/piece), and this is the continuation of the now-locked Community Opinion thread. It's been quite the conversation, and we invite you to join in on it to make the Foundry a better place.
Got any ideas? suggestions? Want to write a piece? Just shoot me a PM by directly clicking my signature in the line below. Thanks,
Clans and the Impact on CC – Part 2
Clans are one of the fastest growing areas of the site and much has happened in the past year:
- Mid to late last year (2008), a new class of moderator was created called the Clan Directors. A well known international moderator, tournament organizer and clan leader Marval was the first to be given the title. Since then, 1 other Clan Director has been added.
- The Clan Leaders Association was created by 7 founding clans and has since tripled in size.
- From the CLA, came the Unofficial Clan Ladder which ranks the clans and also the first Clan League with 15 clans participating.
- Within the past few weeks, a combined 2in1 Script for clans has been recreated by ChipV with some input from the Clan Directors.
- Many new clans have appeared and many have been much more successful in getting started and participating in clan challenges etc.
Outside of the clan area, we are also seeing impacts by clans in other ways:
- Most of the moderators (non-admin) now also belong to clans
- Most of the tournament teams are clan based, and even more so in tournaments run by clan involved TO’s. It is quite common to see more than 50% of teams in tournaments belonging to the same clan.
These are just some of the clan impacts on the site and with 2 Clan Directors focused on clans, I'm sure much more is to come.
It's time to unveil a new section to the Conquer Club Newsletter. This section will be titled "Ask A Mod". Every issue, Night Strike will take a few minutes to examine concerns that you as the community have concerning parts of the site. This can be used to help clarify a site policy or procedure, help explain a new site update, or just help you gain a better understanding of where the moderators and administrators are coming from when they take an action. This column will NOT be used to second guess a decision or single out any particular moderator or member. This is also not an interview of Night Strike; it's a chance to learn about why things are the way they are on the site.
Stay Tuned for the next issue of the Conquer Club Newsletter for an interview with Global Mod jennifermarie! Post the questions for jennifermarie's interview in this thread (clicky)!
Submitting Your Own Articles
If you have a story you think the Conquer Club Community would find interesting, you can submit your articles to samuelc812 or gimil. If the CC News Team enjoy it than you may just see your article published in the Newsletter!
Did you enjoy this Issue? Have you subscribed to the Newsletter yet?
If you want each and every issue of the Conquer Club Newsletter delivered right into your Inbox, then Subscibe Here!
Conquer Club News Team
gimil - Editor
samuelc812 - Vacation
thenobodies80 - Tournament Reporter
the.killing.44 - Foundry Reporter
jpcloet - Clan Reporter
ubersky - Suggs and Bugs Reporter
InsomniaRed - Community Opinion Reporter
Night Strike - Ask a Mod