Conquer Club

Replace ? icon with "Basic Training" icon and Contest!

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

When we put the final suggestion through, which icon do you like the best to replace?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:32 am

JefJef's Feather concept
28%
Queen_Herpes/JefJefs horn/bugle concept
No votes
Alex's Dog Tags concept
28%
qwert's NR symbol concept
44%

Total votes : 18

Re: Replace ? icon with "Basic Training" icon (and contest!)

Postby Queen_Herpes on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:32 pm

As a reminder about this suggestion... People have submitted entries into a contest to see who can come up with the best symbol to replace the "?" for new recruits! Other people are voting on the entries.

Please, enjoy the suggestion...vote...and submit a contest entry!

Everyone has a shot at the apple...I make this contest official...

...by royal decree...

Queen H.
Last edited by Queen_Herpes on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Queen_Herpes on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:37 pm

Poll edited to reflect the new contest entry from Qwert! ...and removed three entries that had underperformed!

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:39 pm

Not a huge fan of qwert's. Pictures speak louder than letters.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Queen_Herpes on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Not a huge fan of qwert's. Pictures speak louder than letters.

I tend to agree, but I like the spirit! It looks nice and clean as well, which none of the rest of the entries has yet to do.

Thank you for the topical response!

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Though, I surely like it over the current one.

AT LEAST MAKE THE "?" SILVER/GOLD!
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Queen_Herpes on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Though, I surely like it over the current one.

AT LEAST MAKE THE "?" SILVER/GOLD!

So true! Why do you think they went with blue/red?

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Doc_Brown on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:53 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:
JoshyBoy wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Question Mark still is number 1 for me by far, I don't think any contest would change it.

--Andy

I kinda have to agree with our main monkey there I'm afraid.

Darn, I should have become a Sugs Moderator so I could sticky my own suggestion.
Oh well. Perhaps since this suggestion is only 2 weeks old, we could give the ccommunity some time to review.

While we're stickying it, why don't we go ahead and try to make it a valid poll?

You are rightly concerned about validity, but I am rightly concerned about erasing the poll results again. I didn't "leave it out" on purpose. Once I saw that the previous results got wiped I wasn't going to reset it again. Give it time, and I will reset the whole poll again to add in "leave it as a boring '?' " as an option and I will also cull the options that haven't received votes.

Queen_Herpes wrote:
Darwins_Bane wrote:to be fair, you should really add an option to keep the original question mark, even if it's just for posterity.

Yeah, I'm getting there...

So we just got a poll reset and still no option to keep the "?". I never voted last time around, and I will continue to refrain from voting until the poll includes an option to retain the question mark (that's not necessarily my preference, but I won't bother voting in a poll that has no validity).
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:33 am

Read the poll "question" and perchance you will understand...

Thank you everyone who has voted to this point!!

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:39 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:Poll edited to reflect the new contest entry from Qwert! ...and removed three entries that had underperformed!

Queen_Herpes wrote:Read the poll "question" and perchance you will understand...

Your dishonesty is palpable, Queen_Herpes...in fact, it's really quite disgusting. Yes, I am serious. I suggest that this thread be locked and moved to the rejected pile, due to the originator of the thread not taking it seriously herself.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:19 am

Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:Poll edited to reflect the new contest entry from Qwert! ...and removed three entries that had underperformed!

Queen_Herpes wrote:Read the poll "question" and perchance you will understand...

Your dishonesty is palpable, Queen_Herpes...in fact, it's really quite disgusting. Yes, I am serious. I suggest that this thread be locked and moved to the rejected pile, due to the originator of the thread not taking it seriously herself.

Where do you get that from? The suggestion is to come up with a replacement for the "?" The suggestion is not: should we or should we not replace the "?" Upon a consensus for a replacement, I will then move to suggest replacing the "?" with the contest winner.

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:40 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Where do you get that from? The suggestion is to come up with a replacement for the "?" The suggestion is not: should we or should we not replace the "?" Upon a consensus for a replacement, I will then move to suggest replacing the "?" with the contest winner.

Despite your statement several times that you were going to add it to the poll...and didn't, you mean?

I would further suggest that your "removing three entries that had underperformed" is dishonest as well, because if someone actually preferred those over even the new additions, you're essentially saying that their opinions don't matter at all and they'd better just vote for one of the more popular ones. The problem with that view is that it may end up skewing which preference is actually the majority preference, as you wind up with people being forced to select their second choice rather than their first one.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:48 am

Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Despite your statement several times that you were going to add it to the poll...and didn't, you mean?

I would further suggest that your "removing three entries that had underperformed" is dishonest as well, because if someone actually preferred those over even the new additions, you're essentially saying that their opinions don't matter at all and they'd better just vote for one of the more popular ones. The problem with that view is that it may end up skewing which preference is actually the majority preference, as you wind up with people being forced to select their second choice rather than their first one.

Yes, I did mention I would add "keep it like it is" as an option in the next poll. I didn't do that. I'm sorry for that, but I changed my mind. I saw that there were three of the options that stood out over the other options in terms of "votes in favor." The poll was up for a while, and there were about 40 total votes. I figured it would make sense to reduce the options down to a "top three" and also throw in the new suggestion from qwert. I don't like qwert's suggestion, but I do like all that qwert has done fro conquerclub, so I thought I would throw it in. If there are people who are pining for the suggestions dropped from the contest, I welcome their posts here. Two of those dropped were mine. One was an entry that received one vote. Perhaps it is the wine, perhaps the late hour, but I'm not understanding your point.

I recommend a nice Zinfandel tonight...and spending some time reviewing the Husker game plan for opening day...if you are so inclined.

BTW, going to bed...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:52 am

The problem with all this is that you still haven't established if people even want a new icon. By omitting the option of "keep it as is" you prevent yourself from doing so. You are again trying to push your suggestion through by force, and that's never going to work - you're only hurting your cause by doing this.

For example, if I were to make a poll "Do you like hamsters" and only offer options "I like brown hamsters" and "I like white hamsters", then whatever the poll results, no matter how many people vote, the poll still fails to prove the most important point - how many people actually like hamsters.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Qwert on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:45 am

"Yes, I did mention I would add "keep it like it is" as an option in the next poll. I didn't do that. I'm sorry for that, but I changed my mind. I saw that there were three of the options that stood out over the other options in terms of "votes in favor." The poll was up for a while, and there were about 40 total votes. I figured it would make sense to reduce the options down to a "top three" and also throw in the new suggestion from qwert. I don't like qwert's suggestion, but I do like all that qwert has done fro conquerclub, so I thought I would throw it in. If there are people who are pining for the suggestions dropped from the contest, I welcome their posts here. Two of those dropped were mine. One was an entry that received one vote. Perhaps it is the wine, perhaps the late hour, but I'm not understanding your point.

I recommend a nice Zinfandel tonight...and spending some time reviewing the Husker game plan for opening day...if you are so inclined.

BTW, going to bed..."
Thanks for support, but i must agree, with some level with Woodruff and Naty.
Before you even start pool, you need to present contectant what its required for New recruit icons. Some people dont like mine entry, and these is ok, but what its most importan, mine entry have required size for rank icon, so these mean that all entries need to have required size,because who knows how will look when you resize large images to small images,also i belive that one icon need to be gray,and second need to be gold(fremium,premium), and when all entries fulfill required things,then you can start with poll.
But like some people say, you need to have large support of community for change >?<.
Step by Step,you know.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:41 am

Qwert, I'm sorry people aren't voting for your entry! We will see soon who has the most votes!

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:47 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:Qwert, I'm sorry people aren't voting for your entry! We will see soon who has the most votes!

Lock this thing up and throw away the key, as the thread originator has no interest in being serious about it. Why are we wasting time with it?

Postby jaimito101 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:Qwert, I'm sorry people aren't voting for your entry! We will see soon who has the most votes!

Lock this thing up and throw away the key, as the thread originator has no interest in being serious about it. Why are we wasting time with it?

AMEN!!!! i pity the man who has to put up with this 24-7.
Colonel jaimito101

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:36 pm

Woodruff wrote:

Why do you keep saying that? I am absolutely serious about this. Your posts are getting rude.

The point of this suggestion is to first, gather interest in one replacement to go head-to-head with the "?" There is no need to muddy the issue by taking all the support for a replacement and spreading it thin against the "?" in a poll at this point.

There will come a time when the "?" will go head-to-head in a poll with the contest winner.

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:05 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Why do you keep saying that? I am absolutely serious about this.

I keep saying it because you're clearly not serious about it. You refuse to have the poll contain any validity, and then you remove options arbitrarily which can't help but skew the poll itself into bad results.

Queen_Herpes wrote:Your posts are getting rude.

I don't believe I am being rude at all, but that is a highly ironic statement on your part.

Queen_Herpes wrote:The point of this suggestion is to first, gather interest in one replacement to go head-to-head with the "?" There is no need to muddy the issue by taking all the support for a replacement and spreading it thin against the "?" in a poll at this point.

There's no point in having the issue at all if the ? were to be decided here and now. Sadly, you're unwilling to "take that chance", I guess...you're allowing either your ego or your desire to have your own way get in the way of it.

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

I keep saying it because you're clearly not serious about it. You refuse to have the poll contain any validity, and then you remove options arbitrarily which can't help but skew the poll itself into bad results.

I am serious about the topic, which is why I originally PM'ed you about it, yet you continue to bring the conversation back to the thread. It is clear that your intentions are to get the topic shuttered, and your methodology is to have an enormous off-topic argument. Unfortunately, you ignored my PM and brought it here, so I am required to respond here, and any suggestions moderator should first, please, discuss this with me before shuttering the topic (which is Woodruff's goal.)

Woodruff wrote:

I don't believe I am being rude at all, but that is a highly ironic statement on your part.

Please explain the irony. I have continued to post here to gather support for a singular symbol that can go head-to-head with the "?" I have done that from the beginning and supported any and all contributions to the topic deemed "entries" into a contest whose goal is to determine which symbol would best replace the "?" I feel that coming up with a consensus on one replacement is better and a more intersting topic than simply stating the following suggestion: "Replace the "?"" I feel that if all I ever said was "Replace the "?"" I would have received many replies saying, "Replace it with what?" So, to spare myself, I came up with a few ideas of my own and solicited the community for additional contributions. The topic IS NOT "Should we replace the "?"" The topic is "Replace the ? icon with "Basic Training" icon" and I am attempting to find out what the community feels is the best "Basic Training" icon. But it doesn't matter what I wrote here, because all you care about is having a debate over whether the ? should be replaced at all. Fine. Start your own topic. Stop trying to silence my desire to see where the community stands on which symbol would be best to be put into a suggestion to replace the ?.

Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:The point of this suggestion is to first, gather interest in one replacement to go head-to-head with the "?" There is no need to muddy the issue by taking all the support for a replacement and spreading it thin against the "?" in a poll at this point.

There's no point in having the issue at all if the ? were to be decided here and now. Sadly, you're unwilling to "take that chance", I guess...you're allowing either your ego or your desire to have your own way get in the way of it.

Yes, there is a point in having the discussion. There are people out there with ideas and artistic ability. I'd like to hear from them. I have heard from some and I am supporting those ideas.

If you have further person attacks like this one: "you're allowing either your ego or your desire to have your own way," then please take it to PM. There is no place for it in this suggestion nor in this forum. You have received one PM about it, you can start by replying to that PM.

As for this suggestion, the contest still runs! As time goes on, if there a no further suggestions, I will amend the poll to narrow it down to the top 3, then the top 2...and finally, when enough input has been contributed, and votes have been cast, I will put the contest winner up against the ?

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Reminder about why we are here:

Concise description:
  • come up with an icon that could replace the ? icon for new recruits (e.g. an icon that designates "Basic Training" Rank.)

Specifics/Details:
  • Currently, new recruits are icon ranked with a "?" which accomplishes the goal of demonstrating that we don't know how good or bad the new recruit is at the game.
  • Come up with an icon that is more fitting and less boring to potentially replace the "?" icon.
  • Would really work well with my other suggestion to increase the number of games the new recruit plays before they can play all the maps and settings: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Might help new recruits to understand rank icons. The "?" seems a bit odd.
  • Would be a better fit for the system of rank icons.
  • The "?" also denotes regions that are unknown in a foggy game, ergo confusion between same symbol used twice

Contest:
Vote for the replacement symbol that you like best...and the top vote-getter will win the contest! Contest winner's symbol will be the symbol to push forward the suggestion!

Here are the suggestions that relate to the poll and the contest!:

JefJef's Feather:
Queen Herpes/JefJef Green Horn or Bugle Concept:
Alex951's Dog Tags
*New Contest Entry!:
qwerts's NR

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

I am serious about the topic, which is why I originally PM'ed you about it, yet you continue to bring the conversation back to the thread. It is clear that your intentions are to get the topic shuttered, and your methodology is to have an enormous off-topic argument.

I don't PREFER to have the thread closed, but I do PREFER to have any poll associated with it be a valid poll, which it so far is not. I am not the only one to see this, I am simply the most out-spoken about it. However, if you're not going to take your own thread seriously, then yes...it makes sense that it be closed.

Queen_Herpes wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Please explain the irony.

Thoroughly ignoring input into the thread so that you can pretend to have complete support is exceptionally rude. I'm not even referring to your responses to MY posts, but to others. And I'm not even referring to just this thread, as you've done the same thing in other threads.

Queen_Herpes wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Yes, there is a point in having the discussion. There are people out there with ideas and artistic ability. I'd like to hear from them. I have heard from some and I am supporting those ideas.
If you have further person attacks like this one: "you're allowing either your ego or your desire to have your own way," then please take it to PM. There is no place for it in this suggestion nor in this forum. You have received one PM about it, you can start by replying to that PM.

This isn't an attack at all. It is a statement of fact...you're putting the cart before the horse. It's an absolutely irrational methodology because you are potentially wasting everyone's time with this when you don't even know if that many people want to replace the ?-mark...because you refuse to delve into that honestly.

Should the New Recruit Icon be changed?

Postby Doc_Brown on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Concise description:
Queen_Herpes has proposed here that the current "?" icon for new recruits be changed, and she is currently soliciting suggestions for the new icon. The current list of proposals can be found here. She has not addressed the question of whether there is popular support for the icon to be changed at all. This thread is simply meant to provide an answer to that question.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby Doc_Brown on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:34 pm

Since QH doesn't want to answer the more important question, I've posted a new thread here with a poll to find out whether there is actually support to change the NR icon.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby jefjef on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:Since QH doesn't want to answer the more important question, I've posted a new thread here with a poll to find out whether there is actually support to change the NR icon.

You and woody. How cute.

This thread is full of support to dump the ?. It obviously had enough support and received enough mod attention to become a sticky thread.

The real question is why are those who don't even pay to say in here stirring shit, baiting queen H and trying to derail this.

If you don't like it fine. Speak your mind and then walk away. Go play some free games.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions