Conquer Club

[Rules] Limit Ability to Join Games By Rank

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

[Rules] Limit Ability to Join Games By Rank

Postby Chicken_lord on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:34 am

Heres something that may combat farmers!
You cannot join a game created by someone X amount of ranks below you! (X being a set amount)

Specifics:
You cannot join a game created by someone X amount of ranks below you.
However, you can still join games created by Players ANYONE not X ranks below you (ie you wanna play a friend but hes a way higher... just get him to create the game)
This will stop high ranked players waiting for innocent "John Newbie" to create a game then proceed to slaughter him just for his easy points.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
-Potentially stop farming
-Allow newer players games with competition of their own level, Though they can still JOIN games with higher ranks if they wish.
Corporal 1st Class Chicken_lord

Re: [Suggestion] Possibe way to combat Farmers

Postby cicero on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:07 am

Most farmers (I think) start public games and just wait for noobs to join them.
Noobs, who know no better, go ahead and do just that.
So it would seem your suggestion won't have any effect?
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby BaldAdonis on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:41 am

cicero wrote:Most farmers (I think) start public games and just wait for noobs to join them.
Mostly the other way: wait for games to show up (especially freestyle) then jump in while they have an advantage.

If they do set up games, they'll be on obscure maps (so the suggestion to "disallow new recruits from playing these maps", or the one to "not give points for new recruit deadbeats" cover this), or they make them speed freestyle.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:44 am

cicero wrote:Most farmers (I think) start public games and just wait for noobs to join them.
Noobs, who know no better, go ahead and do just that.
So it would seem your suggestion won't have any effect?
No, you are wrong. Famers join games started by noobs, And with the default set at freestyle, it is very easy to rack up wins, just take a look at ''rabbiton''. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:46 am

:D Yes this is a very good idea. Asa mattr of fact I suggested it once, but was shot down. :(
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:29 am

I suggested this as an option, but it was more or less shot down/ignored as well.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby jiminski on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:41 am

yes i respect the search for ending predatory behaviour but it is not a good suggestion in my opinion.

new players need to learn, indeed most want to learn! One of the quickest and best ways to learn is to get an absolute slaughtering from a superior, more cultured strategy.

Also it may be a little sad but I remember it being a real buzz to play high ranks when i was first here.
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:27 pm

jiminski wrote:yes i respect the search for ending predatory behaviour but it is not a good suggestion in my opinion.

new players need to learn, indeed most want to learn! One of the quickest and best ways to learn is to get an absolute slaughtering from a superior, more cultured strategy.

Also it may be a little sad but I remember it being a real buzz to play high ranks when i was first here.

This is one reason why I dislike the idea of forced limits. But, while it can be a learning experience ... often it is easier to learn from someone who is a bit better, but not overwhelmingly so. Getting beaten in 3 rounds does not leave a lot of room for learning.

Also, it makes a differance if the good player takes the time to explain, instead of just laughing at the stupidity of the poorer player.

I think the big thing is to have options. The problem with farmers is that they "pick on" unsuspecting newbies and on poorer players who know they are not great. If they choose to play better players, that's differant from when the high rankers specifically seek these folks out. The poorer players want the chance to play players of similar rank at least a good part of the time, not get stuck constantly playing someone who just wants points, points, points.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby jiminski on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:41 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
jiminski wrote:yes i respect the search for ending predatory behaviour but it is not a good suggestion in my opinion.

This is one reason why I dislike the idea of forced limits. But, while it can be a learning experience ... often it is easier to learn from someone who is a bit better, but not overwhelmingly so. Getting beaten in 3 rounds does not leave a lot of room for learning.

Also, it makes a differance if the good player takes the time to explain, instead of just laughing at the stupidity of the poorer player.

I think the big thing is to have options. The problem with farmers is that they "pick on" unsuspecting newbies and on poorer players who know they are not great. If they choose to play better players, that's differant from when the high rankers specifically seek these folks out. The poorer players want the chance to play players of similar rank at least a good part of the time, not get stuck constantly playing someone who just wants points, points, points.

I just suggested in another thread that there could be an option to determine rank limits on the Game page. (not so dissimilar to the way you can filter a search using chips greasemonkey script, but it would need to be a site feature or the newer players would have no chance of being aware of it!)

This would of course give the option to high ranked players not to play lower ranks in any public game.

it is a tough one isn't it... to be honest many high rankers play a vast portion of private games anyway so perhaps greater selectivity would only have a positive effect on more people playing a broader cross-section of the site.
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:20 pm

This, too, has been suggested before ... but we'll see how it flies this time.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby jiminski on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:09 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:This, too, has been suggested before ... but we'll see how it flies this time.

heh well most things have .. We just go around in circles and can only hope that we reach the right conclusion each time ;)
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby mrt12345106735 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:33 pm

BaldAdonis wrote:
Mostly the other way: wait for games to show up (especially freestyle) then jump in while they have an advantage.

If they do set up games, they'll be on obscure maps (so the suggestion to "disallow new recruits from playing these maps", or the one to "not give points for new recruit deadbeats" cover this), or they make them speed freestyle.

Farmers set up games (triples and quads), which leave the opposing team at a huge disadvantage cuz there aren't normally four noobs that all know each other and can work together that join. It is NOT the other way around sir.
Lieutenant mrt12345106735

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:55 pm

mrt12345106735 wrote:
BaldAdonis wrote:

Farmers set up games (triples and quads), which leave the opposing team at a huge disadvantage cuz there aren't normally four noobs that all know each other and can work together that join. It is NOT the other way around sir.
Actually, I have found both to be true. Farmers have a variety of crops to to choose from.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby BaldAdonis on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:24 am

porkenbeans wrote:Actually, I have found both to be true. Farmers have a variety of crops to to choose from.
It's best to rotate (like JohnnyBlastoff24) to prevent soil depletion (and people catching on).
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:01 pm

BaldAdonis wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Actually, I have found both to be true. Farmers have a variety of crops to to choose from.
It's best to rotate (like JohnnyBlastoff24) to prevent soil depletion (and people catching on).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Return to Archived Suggestions