LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Suggestions that have been inactive for a long period of time.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby Neptune1 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:05 am

Whilst many people will dismiss this out of hand, I think some careful thought should be given to this suggestion.

At the time of writing I'm a Sargeant, and on quite a few occasions I've played Majors and Captains and beaten them - all down to a great drop and the run of the dice, and probably not through my own incredibly snazzy skill.

By the same token I've lost plenty against cooks, cadets and newbies - again, not because they're better than me but because of the reasons above.

Wouldn't it be a sound idea to give players the option of 'ticking a box' when setting up a game whether they'll allow lower ranked players to join their game ?

In the past, if a player set up say 10 2 x player games, feasibly 10 cooks could join, beat you 10 times and decimate your rating, all through crap die and dodgy drops - very unfair I think.

As players learn through practice and move up the ranks, they can continue playing games against people of their own rank.

Of course, if your a Major and confident of trouncing a cadet then you wouldn't tick the box when setting up a game.

Seems like a win win situation for everyone.

If you don't like the idea, then when setting up a game you leave it open for any rank to join. If you want to protect your rank, then you make sure you 'tick the box' allowing only players of equal rank to join the game, in much the same way as the tick boxes for Fog Of War, Spoils/No Spoils, Assassin games, etc.

There's a option for Private games, which in my opinion is an exclusion option, allowing players to pick and choose who they want to play against, so why not extend that and allow this idea ?


PLACE A CONCISE DESCRIPTION OF THE SUGGESTION OR BUG IN THE SUBJECT LINE!!!

The dice ARE random, lots and lots of analysis has been done on them both internally and by community members.

Search for previous suggestion or bug reports and check stickies before posting something "new".

Delete or replace any xxxxxxx with the appropriate information.
Delete any entires which do not apply.
</DELETE ME>

Concise description:
  • xxxxxxx

Specifics:
  • xxxxxxx

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • xxxxxxx (you can obviously delete this for bug reports)
  • xxxxxxx
Sergeant Neptune1
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:02 pm
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby docidiot on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:27 am

this seems to be a good idea to me. of course, you could also go the other way and have a box to disallow higher ranked players (if you are scared :)).

fyi, i suspect this wont get very far if you dont use the official form.
Captain docidiot
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:06 pm
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby White Moose on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:32 am

Change the settings you are playing and you'll win more probably, unlimited on those maps you are playing is a big luck factor.
Image
Highest Score: 3374
User avatar
Major White Moose
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:33 am
Location: Sweden
Medals: 63
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (16)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:50 am

White Moose wrote:Change the settings you are playing and you'll win more probably, unlimited on those maps you are playing is a big luck factor.


I have brought up similar suggestions (most particularly and option for "slot limits".

I don't think the issue is so much winning or losing per se... it is playing folks who have similar skills. Granted, sometimes you can learn a lot by specifically playing better players, particularly if that player is the type who will take the time to explain things.

HOWEVER, we all like to at least feel we have a reasonably shot at winning a fair amount of the time. I am not sure anyone really gains from games that were obviously won purely by luck. It is a part of the whole "random" thing, sure, but it is one thing to lose a game to a cook because you skrewed up, or they were actually better (yep, it happens!). It is something else to drop down three or four ranks you worked hard to achieve SOLELY because of luck. Allowing some limits in level might help everyone and open up more play public games.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby Thezzaruz on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:59 am

Neptune1 wrote:Whilst many people will dismiss this out of hand, I think some careful thought should be given to this suggestion.

Wouldn't it be a sound idea to give players the option

No it wouldn't, careful thought has been put into that idea several times (there are other posts with the same point being discussed this week too) and every time it have ended in a "rejected" afaik.
User avatar
Lieutenant Thezzaruz
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: OTF most of the time.
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby FabledIntegral on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:04 am

It's obviously wanted - which is the reason so many private games are made with massive PM's to everyone of that rank.

It's the site's stupidity to not implement something like this - although they've made it clear they will strike it down. The host should be able to specify everything he wants about the gametype. Show me a game where someone can't do that...
Major FabledIntegral
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Highest Rank: 7 Highest Score: 3810
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby Jeff Hardy on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:10 am

this has been suggested before

great idea but i think cc doesnt want it
General Jeff Hardy
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:22 am
Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby Gunner1980 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:25 am

been discussed many times before, i agree with the suggestion, maybe we could add a poll and walk around and tell ppl to vote and c what is the outcome. In every game that someone is in he can simply post a link to that poll in the chat box... if we were to raise enough ppl for a valid poll (say 5000) CC chiefs should discuss about it.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Gunner1980
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Croatia, of course...
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby cpurcell on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:03 pm

I have made, I think two posts on this exact topic, and I 100% agree with you! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Checking the box would allow only players of equal OR GREATER rank correct? I think that this is a good idea, and should be put into action.
---C
Image
User avatar
Major cpurcell
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:00 pm
Location: Bashing my keyboard because luck just screwed me to a noob! Oh, and Eastern PA
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (1)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:54 pm

cpurcell wrote:I have made, I think two posts on this exact topic, and I 100% agree with you! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Checking the box would allow only players of equal OR GREATER rank correct? I think that this is a good idea, and should be put into action.
---C

If it is implemented, I want to be able to exclude much HIGHER ranks.... Generally, I don't mind, but there are times when I am just not in the mood to be slaughtered without a chance.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby Night Strike on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:02 pm

Gunner1980 wrote:been discussed many times before, i agree with the suggestion, maybe we could add a poll and walk around and tell ppl to vote and c what is the outcome. In every game that someone is in he can simply post a link to that poll in the chat box... if we were to raise enough ppl for a valid poll (say 5000) CC chiefs should discuss about it.


No matter how many people have voted in a poll, lack has consistently denied this suggestion because he wants to avoid rank discrimination. If you don't want to play against low (or high ranks), join the game last, make private games, or find your competition group in those ranked games in the Callouts forum.
Image
User avatar
Captain Night Strike
Tournament Director
Tournament Director
 
Posts: 8643
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm
Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby Anarkistsdream on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:22 pm

FabledIntegral wrote:It's obviously wanted - which is the reason so many private games are made with massive PM's to everyone of that rank.

It's the site's stupidity to not implement something like this - although they've made it clear they will strike it down. The host should be able to specify everything he wants about the gametype. Show me a game where someone can't do that...


If you are too lazy to send the PMs, then you get what you get.
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
User avatar
Corporal Anarkistsdream
 
Posts: 7553
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:57 am
Medals: 35
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:01 pm

Anarkistsdream wrote:
FabledIntegral wrote:It's obviously wanted - which is the reason so many private games are made with massive PM's to everyone of that rank.

It's the site's stupidity to not implement something like this - although they've made it clear they will strike it down. The host should be able to specify everything he wants about the gametype. Show me a game where someone can't do that...


If you are too lazy to send the PMs, then you get what you get.

Okay. I know I am "asking for it", but how would you PM all the people of a rank range if you don't know who they are?

Also, Pming everyone is probably an exaggeration, so how many would you PM .. and how would you pick people out (other than rank?)
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby Anarkistsdream on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:53 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Anarkistsdream wrote:
FabledIntegral wrote:It's obviously wanted - which is the reason so many private games are made with massive PM's to everyone of that rank.

It's the site's stupidity to not implement something like this - although they've made it clear they will strike it down. The host should be able to specify everything he wants about the gametype. Show me a game where someone can't do that...


If you are too lazy to send the PMs, then you get what you get.

Okay. I know I am "asking for it", but how would you PM all the people of a rank range if you don't know who they are?

Also, Pming everyone is probably an exaggeration, so how many would you PM .. and how would you pick people out (other than rank?)



I do it all the time... It doesn't matter their rank... I play people I enjoy chatting with and playing against...
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
User avatar
Corporal Anarkistsdream
 
Posts: 7553
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:57 am
Medals: 35
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby FabledIntegral on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:54 am

Anarkistsdream wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
Anarkistsdream wrote:
FabledIntegral wrote:It's obviously wanted - which is the reason so many private games are made with massive PM's to everyone of that rank.

It's the site's stupidity to not implement something like this - although they've made it clear they will strike it down. The host should be able to specify everything he wants about the gametype. Show me a game where someone can't do that...


If you are too lazy to send the PMs, then you get what you get.

Okay. I know I am "asking for it", but how would you PM all the people of a rank range if you don't know who they are?

Also, Pming everyone is probably an exaggeration, so how many would you PM .. and how would you pick people out (other than rank?)



I do it all the time... It doesn't matter their rank... I play people I enjoy chatting with and playing against...


Brilliant logic there kiddo. Let's make the system as tedious as possible - agreed! Maybe we should make the person every time they sign into fill out a form to make sure there is no babysitting abuse, or some other irrelevant benefit. If you don't do it... well you're too lazy to sign into CC, you can't play.

I await your first intelligent post to be made in these forums.
Major FabledIntegral
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Highest Rank: 7 Highest Score: 3810
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby Skiman on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:42 am

I like this idea. Here's an idea I like even more: be able to set a threshold rating for players. Say, only players with a rating over 4.5 can join your game, or 4.8 - or whatever. That would be great
Lieutenant Skiman
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:41 pm
Location: Oz
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby InsomniaRed on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:28 am

Image

If you are going to continue to talk about it at least do a search first to find existing threads #-o
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
Image
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
User avatar
Major InsomniaRed
 
Posts: 2282
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:58 am
Location: In Nick's heart
Medals: 60
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)
Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (7)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby Fruitcake on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:44 am

Just do what Greatwhite does and stick anyone on foe who has the remotest chance of beating you. Then slither and slime into their team games without telling them you have them on foe. play alongside them, yes I said alongside them, while you have them on foe, pick up the points and slither and slime back off.

This way you only ever lose to those who get really lucky. Otherwise you just go round farming.

See it's easy, just follow that great player's way of doing things and you too can gain the reputation to die for across the ranks high and low. You also solve the problem mentioned in this thread.
Image

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
User avatar
Colonel Fruitcake
 
Posts: 2180
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:38 am
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby aspalm on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:52 pm

Funny you mention it, Fruitcake. Greatwhite also put me on his foe list for no apparent reason. Oh wait, maybe it's because I beat him 8 out of the 8 games we played. =D>
Captain aspalm
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:01 am
Medals: 83
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (21) Clan Achievement (23)

Re: LOW RANKED PLAYERS BLOCKED

Postby cicero on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:45 pm

FabledIntegral wrote:I await your first intelligent post to be made in these forums.

And I await your first remotely civil one.
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
User avatar
Sergeant cicero
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Contribution (3)


Return to Archived Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login