[GL] Game Log 2.0

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GL] Game Log 2.0

Postby Pedronicus on Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:06 pm

Concise description:
  • Modify the game log to record assaults that don't conquer a territory and the number of troop lost on both sides.
  • Also record how many troops are advanced after a successful assault.
Specifics/Details:
  • Example: spiesr assaulted Cuba from Mexico and conquered it from jonty125 losing 2 troops, killing 3, and advancing 1
  • Example of failed attack: spiesr assaulted Cuba from Mexico losing 5 troops and jonty125 defended losing 2
  • The exact entry format is flexible, but this data needs to be included.
How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Players will have full access to information about what happened in their games.
  • It would be possible to glean this info already by sitting there constantly refreshing anyway so concerns about changing the game for the worst should be limited.
  • It would allow for Game Replays, either as a site feature or with user created add-ons.
Last edited by spiesr on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Formated OP
Major Pedronicus

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby oman on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:27 pm

I think that that is just way to much work than Lack needs, and it would be pointless
Hippi's rule!
Cook oman

[GL] Game Log 2.0

Postby ticalien on Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:51 pm

Concise description:
  • Modify the game log to record attacks that don't conquer a terrtiory and the number of troop lost on both sides.
Specifics/Details:
  • Example: spiesr assaulted Cuba from Mexico and conquered it from jonty125 losing 2 troops and killing 3
  • Example of failed attack: spiesr assaulted Cuba from Mexico losing 5 troops and jonty125 defended losing 2
  • The exact entry format is flexible, but this data needs to be included.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Players will have full access to information about what happened in their games.
  • It would be possible to glean this info already by sitting there constantly refreshing anyway so concerns about changing the game for the worst should be limited.
  • It would allow for Game Replays, either as a site feature or with user created add-ons.
Last edited by spiesr on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Formated OP
Sergeant ticalien

Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Darkfire001 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:12 pm

Doubt Lack will do it, the Logs would grow so fast and it would really hamper MySQL (Database software).
Lieutenant Darkfire001

Postby Pedronicus on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:54 am

it would read more like this:

Eastern US attacked Western US and lost 2 armies (4,3,4 to 5,6)
Eastern US attacked Western US and lost 2 armies (5,3,4 to 6,6)
Eastern US attacked Western US and lost 2 armies (1,3,4 to 6,4)
Eastern US attacked Western US and lost 2 armies (1,2,4 to 6,5)
Eastern US attacked Western US and lost 2 armies (1,1,1 to 2,2)
and so on
Major Pedronicus

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby PaperPlunger on Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:40 pm

not necessarily putting it all into the same log, what if you had a combat log located below the cht box, where you could see color coded info, also having the names of countries attacking and defending color coded to owner? Would anyone like that, I think it would be good :P
Private PaperPlunger

[GL] Game Log 2.0

Postby eddymush on Wed May 17, 2006 2:17 pm

im not sure if any one else is interested in seeing how a battle is doing. meaning id like to watch battle in the game log you know have it say player 1 rolls a 655 player 2 a 34 player two looses 2. it would allow us as players to be able to see where pepole are attacking.

just a thought
Corporal 1st Class eddymush

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 17, 2006 2:21 pm

Such a thing could clutter up the gamelog window. One way to see how people are attacking, is the obvious. Look at the countries being taken over. And for the few rolls where people attack, but do not attack enough to take over the country, look for the obvious decrease in troop amounts.

One thing I think could be appropriate to add to the game log would be 'Attempted Take Overs'. "Say 'Jimbob' attacked Iceland with Greenland and failed." But then again you run the problem with cluttering the gamelog, but I think that would keep the mess down to a moderate level, and you could still see where whoever's country interests lie.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby eddymush on Wed May 17, 2006 2:29 pm

that would be great. and really thats all id like to see.
Corporal 1st Class eddymush

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby rocksolid on Wed May 17, 2006 7:07 pm

Right now I use this absence of info strategically - I'll whittle someone down knowing that the next player along will finish the job before the attacked player will see the board, so that the follower will take any feud heat that may result - which makes me feel pretty devious. This sounds like it would be a bit of a pain to program without having every click of the attack button wind up in the game log - how do you register the first assault only and the successful conquest only, and not intermediate attacks? I wouldn't want to be the one to sort that out.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (2)

Postby qeee1 on Wed May 17, 2006 7:16 pm

I never even thought of that... that's really devious... I like it. Thanks for giving away your tactics Rock.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby lackattack on Wed May 17, 2006 8:06 pm

Complete logs have been requested several times, so perhaps this is a good opportunity to reveal my secret plans...

Game Log 2.0
* will normally not include fortifications
* but click on "extended log" and you'll get fortifications and dice rolls
* log will be available in xml format so talented programmers (*cough* *cough* Tr0y *cough*) could create movie players and even bots
* logs will be deleted on old games to make room for all these dice rolls
* internally I'll store the log differently to make it possible to translate the entries into different languages far off into the future
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby zorba_ca on Wed May 17, 2006 10:37 pm

Sounds great.
Major zorba_ca

Postby agarvin on Wed May 17, 2006 10:43 pm

lackattack wrote:Complete logs have been requested several times, so perhaps this is a good opportunity to reveal my secret plans...

Game Log 2.0

* log will be available in xml format so talented programmers (*cough* *cough* Tr0y *cough*) could create movie players and even bots

That'll be cool. I've been working on a program to examine game logs of multiple games to try to determine the statistical advantage of each continent (which to try to take first, which is best in the middle-to-end game). It'd be nice if you included initial starting positions in the 'extended logs'. Right now, I've been pasting in the logs, starting at the end to find who won, and then searching backwards to resolve each conquered area, back to the beginning. I'd love to have data on how many armies attacking and how many lost. With all the dice info, I'd be able to throw in "luck" calculations.

XML, ugh... I guess it's standard but personally I'd rather work with a simple, raw, CSV input..
Sergeant 1st Class agarvin

Postby Rik Meleet on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:24 pm

lackattack wrote:Game Log 2.0
* logs will be deleted on old games to make room for all these dice rolls
I really really like the idea of replays. a remark on the quoted part: if you can, have it available for downloading before deleting.
Personally: In a replay I'm not that interested in dice-rolls; just who owns what land.
Major Rik Meleet

Next

Return to Suggestions