My dad (GrudgeBringer) played it as his last game (taking a break) and won it. I watched the game as I was trying to learn something on a map so 'BUSY'.
1. He was lucky enough to start in the Top right hand province.
2. He had an understanding of how you get extra troops per turn. (HUGE)
3. He ...errrr, helped another player take the bottom right (Yellow) while making a 5 turn treaty with White ( I believe) in the middle.
4. And he did all the usual things a good player will do..no big deal there.
5. I think this was the biggest thing he did though...he put a small amount of troops EVERY turn on his Airport and then started dropping more and more % wise as he grew. He would make sure no one had access to his airport except him and as he got bigger any airport, they couldn't stop him then as they couldn't reach him.
He said it was the most tedious game he ever played as he had to scour every avenue, every turn and the end game was just mopping up and mopping up and mopping up. The most boring game at the end (even more than Hive or Eurasia).
Green was really his only other competition (West Coast and Alaska) but dominating his airport took care of that. Of course there was much more to it, but that was the basics I saw.
LOL, I will NEVER play that game...I would go crazy!!!!