Conquer Club

Geometry: Hexagon [Version 1.1]

Map suggestions, ideas and drafts... They all start life on the Drawing Board.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Geometry: Hexagon [Version 1.1]

Postby plurple on Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:38 am

Map Name: Geometry: Hexagon
Mapmaker(s): Plurple
Number of Territories: 91
Special Features: Transforms
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:
New maps and a display of how transforms work! Each territory will look at it's neighbours gain 1 for each friendly neighbour and loses 1 for each enemy neighbour. In team games your teammates will count as friendly and non teammates will be enemies and the same for poly games.

I have also set up starting positions so that you won't get any regions on the edge and will limit you to getting 25 regions in 2 player etc. 25,19,14,11,9,8,7,6,5,5,4 for each number of players. Currently a bug with 1vs1 where 1 player will get 25 regions and 1 will get 24 :( more info regarding this is welcome :)

To negate going first advantage all player regions will start as 1's then the adjacency transforms happen and then all regions that are still 1's will be set to 3. So this will make the first players regions start with between 2 and 7 and everyone else's will be on 3's

Map Image:
show: Version 1.1

show: Version 1

XML:
plurple is not purple 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
Colonel plurple
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Geometry: Hexagon [Version 1.1]

Postby plurple on Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:39 am

Saved for updates.

Update 1:
Ok looks like I will need to add the start transform to the map key somehow :| basically on turn 1 all players regions will be 1's player 1 will then get the bonuses added to their territories based on friendly neighbours. Then any player territory that is still a 1 will be set to 3. TODO: Add this to the key on the map. As well as this it can be very unbalanced at times so going to take another look at reducing the change per territory. If I can figure that out might be able to remove the start transform.

Release Update:
This is probably my favourite of the 4 geometry maps :D Though I am thinking that maybe the outside ring of territories is unnecessary :| It may also be better to cap the amount added or subtracted to each territory the original plan was 3 to -3 but was a mess to code into the xml :D but I can have another look if it is felt to be to much :D I am looking for feedback on how the map plays and make adjustments to the balance or the graphics as it comes in :D Also this is the one most likely to have a mistake in the coding as it has 182 transforms that need to reference the territories by their number index not name and so I probably have messed up somewhere :D
Colonel plurple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Iron Maid on Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:24 pm

Thanks for creating new maps. =D>

As you might know I like to play all maps for cross-mapping, but personally I'm not keen on playing maps that are non-geographical or non-historical. And I have a feeling that a lot of players have the same. Maps like Pi-School (although it has some nice features), Chinese Checkers, Conquer 4, Knights, Conquer Man and Hive don't trigger me.

What I like is that you introduce the feature of transforms, which I think brings a nice new dimension in gameplay.

Maybe it is an idea to create a poll to ask what people want to see in a new map:
1 - Do you want to play these Geometry maps? (Which for me would be a No)
2 - Do you want to see the feature of Transforms? (Which for me would be a Yes)

Hopefully this input is useful for you.
Highest Rank: 60 (Brigadier) Score: 3139 Date: March 26th 2010
Winner of Official 2010 CC World Cup - Singles & Official 200 Maps Tournament
Major Iron Maid
SoC Training Adviser

Postby plurple on Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:46 pm

Iron Maid wrote:Thanks for creating new maps. =D>

As you might know I like to play all maps for cross-mapping, but personally I'm not keen on playing maps that are non-geographical or non-historical. And I have a feeling that a lot of players have the same. Maps like Pi-School (although it has some nice features), Chinese Checkers, Conquer 4, Knights, Conquer Man and Hive don't trigger me.

What I like is that you introduce the feature of transforms, which I think brings a nice new dimension in gameplay.

Maybe it is an idea to create a poll to ask what people want to see in a new map:
1 - Do you want to play these Geometry maps? (Which for me would be a No)
2 - Do you want to see the feature of Transforms? (Which for me would be a Yes)

Hopefully this input is useful for you.

Thanks for the feedback I chose the simple geometric shapes as not much of an artist and so was easy for me to produce. I didn't even think about that making them unappealing as I personally don't care what the theme of the map, am happy to try anything :D And then how they play making them fun or not for me. I am curious if others feel the same as you do I think a lot of the time geographic and historical battles are easy things to base a map on.

But if we were to take one of the non geographically inspired maps 4 star meats it doesn't really play that different to a geographical map. it could just as easily have been slapped onto America or Europe and the star and special offer territory being a plane and boat to explain the non contiguous borders. In fact it not being another country map makes it stand out from the crowd :D

I do hope that you will give them a go at least before you write them off entirely :)
Colonel plurple
Chatter
Chatter

Return to Drafting Room