Conquer Club

[please delete] FEEDBACK COMMENT - Community moderation

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Would you like to see a Community judged Comment, added to the Feedback?

Yes I would comment but not vote/edit
16%
No
33%
Yes and i would help vote/edit the Comments
52%

Total votes : 120

[please delete] FEEDBACK COMMENT - Community moderation

Postby jiminski on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:04 pm

Concise description:
  • Running alongside the rating system, allow users to write a comment (in a similar way to the old system.)
    The option would be given at the end of a game.
    Once the comment is completed, the text is forwarded to the recipient User for approval.
    if they do not approve, the comment automatically goes to either an Open Forum or Special Usergroup for adjudication (*see below for 'Forum' Description)

Specifics:
  • The proposal gives ability, to all users, to add a comment at the end of a game.
    They have 24 hours to make comment on any game/player (with game-link if it regards a specific game)
    Once the 24 hours has expired no more comments can be made and the respective comments are sent directly to the recipients for approval (this will prevent retaliatory feedback)

Feedback sent for approval to the recipient via an automatic pop-up box which appears at log-in, 24 hours after game completion.
    Then it is just a matter of clicking :-
    'yes' - thus agreeing to allow the feedback to enter into your profile
    'no' - thus sending the feedback to the community arbitration forum
    'ask me later' - the box goes away till next time you log-in

This can be anything:
    - Skill and tactics
    - It could be a friendly piece of prose for mutual enjoyment!

The Comment is then made available to the recipient for approval prior to it being logged into their profile. They have 5 days to say ā€˜yesā€™ or ā€˜noā€™. If they fail to vote the comment will be entered into their profile.
    In special cases, live Comments can be taken back to the Forum for adjudication; to cover people going away and missing the right to veto.

If they say ā€˜yesā€™, they have approved the comment and it will also be logged into their profile.

If they say ā€˜noā€™, not approved, the Comment goes for arbitration by the Site in the Contentious Comment Forum. (The rules of approval need to be worked out but will mainly cover outright spiteful lies and abusive language!)

Arbitration is made by CC members: the make-up and remit of which is to be discussed;
    It could be
    A) Open to all members, with a pre-forum link to the Moderation 'Forum', on the Front page after login. This will encourage those who do not normally visit the Forums to participate! *
    or
    B) Closed select group of non-mod volunteers

Non English Comments under Open Moderation (option (A) above)
    We have all of the Individual Language Forums; with varying levels of populations.
    therefore we could include a select box for the destination page for each Language Moderation as sent by the recipient of the queried comment. (each Forum has it's own little Community Mod thread to vote in)
    Of course if the population is small then the number of votes for passing it as acceptable would be far fewer than in the main English language forum.

Why will this work where the other failed?

- The proposed system does not affect your Pos or Neg Rating, so it will be less contentious.
    - The recipient gets immediate right to take contentious Comments to the Community for adjudication of fairness and suitability, before anyone else sees it in their Profile.
    - If the Comments are judged by the whole site (with say 100 votes giving a judgement on 95% agreement**) on a casual anonymous basis, there is no one to shout at, no focal figure to hate.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
    • Gives opportunity to write creative, fun prose
    • Allows for people to comment on a persons Skill and be more specific about the experience
    • Could be integrated with the old style system to placate the dissenters, without the site having to commit people and resources

*This is participatory Forum but with anonymous perusal and voting only. The comment Forum is 'ironically' not a place for discussion by the voters.
    So there will be no canvassing for support or bitching, it is simply a place to read and click 'yes' or 'no'.

**A ceiling of votes needed to constitute an authoritative decision! For example, we could set the limit at 100 votes with 95% approval to make it a live comment.
Last edited by jiminski on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Captain jiminski

Re: fEEDBACK COMMENT - Community moderation To run

Postby DukeToshiro on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:13 pm

Anything is better than the crap they have now.
Captain DukeToshiro

Postby jiminski on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:14 pm

DukeToshiro wrote:Anything is better than the crap they have now.

hahah i feel all warm inside .. you like it or not ? ;)
Captain jiminski

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:18 pm

ehm, what's wrong with the simple flagging system?

i think i like it but it's a bit complicated

homes32 wrote:jiminski is right. we can bitch all day and it is not going to make things better. the best way to get this resolved is to come up with a better way to do it and stop saying the same thing everybody else has been saying for the last 35 pages or so. I'm starting to be able to recite every new post as I'm reading it. The old system was flawed. its gone and no amount of whining is going to make it come back. the new system is far from perfect and this is our chance to make it better.

most of us agree that we need some kind of comment to justify the ratings. I agree. but we need to come up with a way to implement them without falling into the same hole as the feedback did.

here is another bone to chew on.
lets we have comments. next to them we have a link [Flag Comment] or something along those lines that would let users mod the comment as retaliatory/false/obscene/whatever. if XX number of people flagged it the system would automatically remove it. obviously each person could only mod once.

lets get some intelligent discussion going here!
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby jiminski on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:24 pm

zimmah wrote:ehm, what's wrong with the simple flagging system?

homes32 wrote:jiminski is right. we can bitch all day and it is not going to make things better. the best way to get this resolved is to come up with a better way to do it and stop saying the same thing everybody else has been saying for the last 35 pages or so. I'm starting to be able to recite every new post as I'm reading it. The old system was flawed. its gone and no amount of whining is going to make it come back. the new system is far from perfect and this is our chance to make it better.

most of us agree that we need some kind of comment to justify the ratings. I agree. but we need to come up with a way to implement them without falling into the same hole as the feedback did.

lets we have comments. next to them we have a link [Flag Comment] or something along those lines that would let users mod the comment as retaliatory/false/obscene/whatever. if XX number of people flagged it the system would automatically remove it. obviously each person could only mod once.

I like it, I had not read it before i put in the Suggestion.

Essentially it is the same (if it seems more complex that is my fault.. it is late)

the only difference is that one goes in as feedback and can be voted out (flag system) and by the other method bad comments are is weeded out before it goes 'live' or public. (the Community one as above)
Captain jiminski

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:30 pm

jiminski wrote:

Essentially it is the same (if it seems more complex that is my fault.. it is late)

the only difference is that one goes in as feedback and can be voted out (flag system) and by the other method bad comments are is weeded out before it goes 'live' or public. (the Community one as above)

TBH i don't even know what you actually really mean with your system, it seems fine and because we're on the same side (we want to improve the system so we can have comments, without having the comments go out of hand, without giving the "moderators who can't moderate" too much to moderate or they would go and cry. so yes, if your idea meets this guidelines i'm happy with it. tho i think the idea suggested in the quotes is perfectly fine and seems much simpler then the idea you suggested. or at least he wrote it down in a way i could understand it on 1:26 am. and you wrote it down so i couldn't understand it :mrgreen: )

if you know what i mean.

btw i'm not trying to offend you, just saying i don't really understand your idea or the way you put it.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:32 pm

jiminski wrote:

and where would you put the feedback that's still 'to be aproved' ?

i think it's simpler to just allow us to 'vote out' inappropiate feedback.

hmm, it must be save for multi's flagging out their own negatives though :lol:
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby jiminski on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:34 pm

zimmah wrote:
jiminski wrote:

TBH i don't even know what you actually really mean with your system, it seems fine and because we're on the same side (we want to improve the system so we can have comments, without having the comments go out of hand, without giving the "moderators who can't moderate" too much to moderate or they would go and cry. so yes, if your idea meets this guidelines i'm happy with it. tho i think the idea suggested in the quotes is perfectly fine and seems much simpler then the idea you suggested. or at least he wrote it down in a way i could understand it on 1:26 am. and you wrote it down so i couldn't understand it :mrgreen: )

if you know what i mean.

btw i'm not trying to offend you, just saying i don't really understand your idea or the way you put it.

hahah.. i will edit it tomorrow morning, it is Midnight now and my brain is too fuzzy!
But i assure you, the 2 ideas are practically identical. it is just there is slightly less likelihood of crappy nonsense being temporarily on view with my system.
Captain jiminski

Postby DukeToshiro on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:37 pm

jiminski wrote:
DukeToshiro wrote:Anything is better than the crap they have now.

hahah i feel all warm inside .. you like it or not ? ;)

I will like pretty much anything if it will take the place of this stupid ratings system. Heck I'd prefer no feedback system at all over this pile of garbage that the mods gave us.
Captain DukeToshiro

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:46 pm

jiminski wrote:
hahah.. i will edit it tomorrow morning, it is Midnight now and my brain is too fuzzy!

awh how cute a fuzzy brain :lol:

Click image to enlarge.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Re: FEEDBACK COMMENT - Community moderation

Postby Mr_Adams on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:40 pm

=D> =D> =D> NOW WE'RE TALKING!! =D> =D> =D>
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby Didda on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:50 am

I beg of admin to allow users to give star ratings as now but have a comment box below, (which must be filled in).
When the stars and comments are displayed, allow the recipient of the comment/stars to post a reply/explanation. If he choses to do so and flags it as a disagreement or unfair, let others mod the disagreement and flag it as a warranted score/comment or otherwise (Yes/No). There should also be some kind of automatic penalty for people whose scores/comments are regularly overturned.
The other thing is there must be some clearly defined rules for what is not allowed. NO bad language. Etc. and an automatic penalty for people leaving such comments as judged by their peers. Keep moderators and Admin out of it. Let us control it ourselves.
Corporal Didda

Postby lancehoch on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:12 am

Didda wrote:I beg of admin to allow users to give star ratings as now but have a comment box below, (which must be filled in).
When the stars and comments are displayed, allow the recipient of the comment/stars to post a reply/explanation. If he choses to do so and flags it as a disagreement or unfair, let others mod the disagreement and flag it as a warranted score/comment or otherwise (Yes/No). There should also be some kind of automatic penalty for people whose scores/comments are regularly overturned.
The other thing is there must be some clearly defined rules for what is not allowed. NO bad language. Etc. and an automatic penalty for people leaving such comments as judged by their peers. Keep moderators and Admin out of it. Let us control it ourselves.

The bolded part above is a lot of why the system was changed. There is rumor that some of the hunters were spending 20 hours per week on feedback moderation and not enough time on hunting. If you go into C&A, one of the hunters was on for about 6 hours earlier and closed a bunch of threads. This had not happened in a while.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby hulmey on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:20 am

Didda wrote:I beg of admin to allow users to give star ratings as now but have a comment box below, (which must be filled in).

now your confusing the situation with automatic penalties!! I quite like jiminski's idea. I dont really think i can find a flaw with his system. a trial run woud be needed if implemtented. Im not even bothering with the present feedback system coz its crap, they might as well done nothing at all. Bit of a cop out if you ask me.
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby zimmah on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:58 am

lancehoch wrote:

The bolded part above is a lot of why the system was changed. There is rumor that some of the hunters were spending 20 hours per week on feedback moderation and not enough time on hunting. If you go into C&A, one of the hunters was on for about 6 hours earlier and closed a bunch of threads. This had not happened in a while.

since it's still the minority of the users abusing the system, the mayority will win it over the minority. that's the whole point. no more moderators who can't keep up moderating (still i don't really understand what they do while they don't moderate, but ok)
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:40 am

I would say closed group, and only trusted posters who can present a good case for how they would be able to abide by the guidelines on modding the comments. And yes, definitely allow comments, ratings are too dang impersonal for me.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby homes32 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:43 am

zimmah wrote:
jiminski wrote:

if you know what i mean.

Basically the difference is that with my suggestion feedback gets posted like it always did and if you come along and read it and find it inappropriate you flag it as such. with jiminski's approach all the feedback gets sent off into a void somewhere until a group approves it.

in short
homes32: Feedback is voted out
jiminski: Feedback is voted in
Last edited by homes32 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
-homes32

Highest Score: 1850
Lieutenant homes32

Postby jiminski on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:47 am

lancehoch wrote:

yeah, based on a system where the 'Community' decides, there will be no argument. If it is deemed that the comment is not suitable, according the guidelines we decide on, it is simply rejected... end of debate.

To stop the targeting of voters/editors this should be anonymous of course. therefore disgruntled users with rejected comments have no target except for the whole site of course but that is pretty tough to target.
Captain jiminski

Postby jiminski on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:51 am

homes32 wrote:

Basically the difference is that with my suggestion feedback gets posted like it always did and if you come along and read it and find it inappropriate you flag it as such. with jiminski's approach all the feedback gets sent off into a void somewhere until a group approves it.

in short
homes32: Feedback voted out
jiminski: Feedback voted in

Go and have a look at the way Urban Dictionary does it (link above in my original post) ... all you do is sign-up to be an editor (open to all users)
You then enter a web-page, with a series of 'definitions' for approval (in our case Feedback comments)

The voter/editor then votes thumbs up or down and once the Comments receive sufficient approval it becomes live.
Captain jiminski

Postby Robinette on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:55 am

Hey... this could be a whole new fun aspect to CC life...

assuming i'm understanding it correctly, which is questionable since all i did was browse it while sipping my morning coffee...
Brigadier Robinette

Postby jiminski on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:01 am

Robinette wrote:Hey... this could be a whole new fun aspect to CC life...

assuming i'm understanding it correctly, which is questionable since all i did was browse it while sipping my morning coffee...

hehe i am sure you understand it perfectly.. once the caffeine kicked in! ;)

Yes it should be good fun! and depending on which process (all community or closed usergroup) it actually gives a chance to get to know everyone a little better too!
If it went out to the whole community it could be a 'pre-forum' Forum (on the front page), so you'd get some of the non-forum visitors to participate!

you can see me after class for private tutoring on the finer details!
Captain jiminski

Postby homes32 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:18 am

more stuff to think about. (because we all love to think!)

here are some issues to think about with voting out

* administratively speaking voting out is easier since anybody coming along and reading it can vote to oust it.

* the downside is of course is that bad comments will spend some time on the ratings page, however short it may be.

* another issue may be that some people may get neglected (I'm thinking newer/lower ranked players with fewer community connections) or by people that just don't look at the feedback, but its hard to say if this will be the case without a trial run and some hard data.

here are some issues to think about with voting in

* is there enough interest long term for a group of people to commit to holding this system up or is it going to end up being a good 'ol boys group?

* can this group push out the good comments in a timely manner of will there be a back load that won't make the feedback available for a week or 2.

* even with an open system people are less likely to do something if they have to "sign up" I see the casual user less likely to take an interest in this then us forum rats. espically if they have to go out of their way to do this.

pertaining to both
I guess another question we should be asking is what is the ratio of good comments to bad comments? there are only a few bad apples leaving crap in the comments the vote out is the easiest way to go. but if its going to be a problem with bad comments voting in is the logical choice.

feel free to pick apart these 2 systems some more. after all thats why we are here!
-homes32

Highest Score: 1850
Lieutenant homes32

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:22 am

I agree that we need a change ... and this might well be a solution. BUT, I have ACTUALLY MADE ANOTHER SUGGESTION ALREADY. If interested, read it. One has a poll attached, and room to add another suggestion. (I will add this suggestion, with a link)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53466

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53405

I think the basic problem is that moderation just does not work for the same reason this current system does not work. There is plain and simple disagreement over what makes a "good" or "reasonable" player and what constitutes a "jerk" or someone you don't want to play with.

Although I did have one comment removed under the old system (and one was voluntarily removed when I objected), I actually think just plain leaving the comments alone is best ... with a chance to response.

The truth is that most of us coulld look through the old neg comments and get a reasonable grasp on what happened -- did someone's computer go bad for a time? to me, that is no big deal and I would play that person. Was someone the recipient of some notoriously erroneous feedback from one of the few poor sports? I mean, if I see a someone saying "this person was a homosexual #@@^, who does not know how to play." and look at the commentary and see ... nothing, I am quite likely to put the person LEAVING the comment on my ignore list.

I realize this DOES mean some nasty comments will be left. But, as I said above, those tend to be pretty easy to see ... at least in time.

Anyway, if you are interested in my idea (actually 2.. one is just to keep the old system, but eliminate moderation) OR want a different system, here is the link ... and the poll.
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby jiminski on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:24 am

homes32 wrote:more stuff to think about. (because we all love to think!)

here are some issues to think about with voting out

* administratively speaking voting out is easier since anybody coming along and reading it can vote to oust it.

* the downside is of course is that bad comments will spend some time on the ratings page, however short it may be.

* another issue may be that some people may get neglected (I'm thinking newer/lower ranked players with fewer community connections) or by people that just don't look at the feedback, but its hard to say if this will be the case without a trial run and some hard data.

here are some issues to think about with voting in

* is there enough interest long term for a group of people to commit to holding this system up or is it going to end up being a good 'ol boys group?

* can this group push out the good comments in a timely manner of will there be a back load that won't make the feedback available for a week or 2.

* even with an open system people are less likely to do something if they have to "sign up" I see the casual user less likely to take an interest in this then us forum rats. espically if they have to go out of their way to do this.

pertaining to both
I guess another question we should be asking is what is the ratio of good comments to bad comments? there are only a few bad apples leaving crap in the comments the vote out is the easiest way to go. but if its going to be a problem with bad comments voting in is the logical choice.

feel free to pick apart these 2 systems some more. after all thats why we are here!

nah you don't have to sign up ... you just do in the Urban Dictionary.. here you already have signed up to be a CC member. So Open access is the key.

Regarding people willing to vote and backlogs ... My personal view would be to have an all access system. With a link on the front page to bring those who do not usually visit the forum.

If there are some delays in passing feedback i think it's fine.. at the moment we have none and i feel that commenters having free-reign to write expletives and abuse until it is voted off would be less palletable to the site.
It could be quite a long time to get the required no votes to remove a comment .. how often to people specifically go to see the Feedback for any one individual? not that often.
whereas if there is a designated 'forum/Page' people would specifically be drawn to it.
Last edited by jiminski on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain jiminski

Postby jiminski on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:29 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:I agree that we need a change ... and this might well be a solution. BUT, I have ACTUALLY MADE ANOTHER SUGGESTION ALREADY. If interested, read it. One has a poll attached, and room to add another suggestion. (I will add this suggestion, with a link)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53466

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53405

I think the basic problem is that moderation just does not work for the same reason this current system does not work. There is plain and simple disagreement over what makes a "good" or "reasonable" player and what constitutes a "jerk" or someone you don't want to play with.

Although I did have one comment removed under the old system (and one was voluntarily removed when I objected), I actually think just plain leaving the comments alone is best ... with a chance to response.

The truth is that most of us coulld look through the old neg comments and get a reasonable grasp on what happened -- did someone's computer go bad for a time? to me, that is no big deal and I would play that person. Was someone the recipient of some notoriously erroneous feedback from one of the few poor sports? I mean, if I see a someone saying "this person was a homosexual #@@^, who does not know how to play." and look at the commentary and see ... nothing, I am quite likely to put the person LEAVING the comment on my ignore list.

I realize this DOES mean some nasty comments will be left. But, as I said above, those tend to be pretty easy to see ... at least in time.

Anyway, if you are interested in my idea (actually 2.. one is just to keep the old system, but eliminate moderation) OR want a different system, here is the link ... and the poll.

the difference is that there is no real 'weight' to the comment; it is not a Neg or a Positive in the old style... it is just a comment...
the parameters for approval will be more based in decency. than anything else and the statements can be completely subjective .. if wild assertions are made regarding gameplay, it will be very easy to spot.
Captain jiminski

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions