Conquer Club

Game Page Layout - new proposal! [First Post]

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Do you like the proposed layout?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:36 am

Total votes : 0

Re: Game Page Layout - new proposal! [First Post]

Postby denominator on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:51 pm

lackattack wrote:
denominator wrote:With the stats added, the game log becomes much less important, and users are far less likely to look at it. It should still be there, but the Game Chat, in my opinion, is a more valuable tool now. Would it be possible to simply switch the order of the two? So that as you scroll down, you hit Game Stats, then Game Chat, and then Game Log?

I think this would increase the use of the chat and many users would appreciate it being more accessible.

I agree the Game Chat needs more visibility. We once ran a poll to see if people prefer chat or log on top, and the results was not decisive. Perhaps after this change we could run a new poll. Also, there is a pending suggestion for a new chat message indicator that I have my eye on...

I suspect that the poll may become more definitive with the new stats. The way I figure, (unless you had BOB) the log was more important than the chat when it was the only means of collecting information about the game. Now with the stats, the log becomes mostly redundant information, so with the updating of stats it seems like a logical time to move the log as well.

I am going to go ahead and assume you're not going to give us any more details here on the chat message indicator, so I'll go see if I can find out about it elsewhere.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby sully800 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:54 pm

It seems to me like we are doubling information when we could be consolidating.

If the players names and cards are already being shown below the map, why do we need them on the right side of the screen at all? You could move the Game Number, Round Number and refresh map buttons above the map, keep the stats below and then you've freed the right side of the screen completely. This would allow much wider maps than are currently available with no big redesign and no hiding menus.
Major sully800

Re: Game Page Layout Discussion

Postby lackattack on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:20 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
The Neon Peon wrote:I think we should have a poll as to who uses what resolution. Perhaps only very few use something that small.

A poll is ok, but that would only hit up us forum-goers...which is a small minority of the site.

For what it's worth, I use 1280x1024.

I am sure lack could PM all active users.

I get that kind of data from Google Analytics :geek:

sully800 wrote:It seems to me like we are doubling information when we could be consolidating.

If the players names and cards are already being shown below the map, why do we need them on the right side of the screen at all? You could move the Game Number, Round Number and refresh map buttons above the map, keep the stats below and then you've freed the right side of the screen completely. This would allow much wider maps than are currently available with no big redesign and no hiding menus.

I know where you are coming from, I really wanted to avoid doubling information. But I think some information is so crucial it must be available along with the map "above the fold".
Sergeant lackattack

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Scrolling vertical would definitely be better than horizontal. So I say yes with the addition that someone else brought up- make it optional of where to put it in the user account settings. Wouldn't that just make everyone happy??? =D>
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Silver- on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:46 pm

is it possible to have an option that let the player put it on the right or bottom?
Major Silver-

Postby Piestar on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:13 am

If you are going to move that information to the bottom, why not move it all there, and allow more of the screen for the map. The stuff you have remaining to the right of the map seems rather redundant anyway.
Sergeant Piestar

Postby Mustapha Mond on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:53 am

I think it should be optional. You've already obviously coded both layouts -- small matter to make it a preference. Those of us with widescreen monitors really appreciate not having to vertical scroll for the information.
Private 1st Class Mustapha Mond

Postby LLLUUUKKKEEE on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:15 am

Why change the layout. If you want the info, get bob. There was nothing wrong with how it was.

And surely it isn't hard scrolling down the page.
It's your turn...................................
Sergeant LLLUUUKKKEEE

Postby natty dread on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:19 am

Why change the layout. If you want the info, get bob. There was nothing wrong with how it was.

Another one pissed at losing an "advantage" against the noobs he farms... ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby LLLUUUKKKEEE on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:02 am

natty_dread wrote:

Another one pissed at losing an "advantage" against the noobs he farms... ;)

Oh yeah, im a farmer, check out my rank.

BoB is free for everyone.
It's your turn...................................
Sergeant LLLUUUKKKEEE

Postby natty dread on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:58 am

What, don't take it personally. I'm just posting for argument's sake.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Dako on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:31 am

Ok, I decided to put some structured feedback here.

First, there are few functions that are not so important to user and take important space.

Here is my mockup (I just moved all the blocks in GIMP, nothing special here and I Know there are a lot of mistakes - mockup should just show the position of the boxes. It is just a draft version)

Click image to enlarge.

Description:
  • Game number and game round are not so important - move it above the map
  • Game info (spoils, type, reinf) are of a one-time use information. I moved it near game number, but it doesn't fit there, so suggestion on improvement - icon coding (too many words, takes a lot of time to read them anyway and we have most of the icons anyway) or make it into hidden dropdown list that will expand on click (simple js with 5 rows for that)
  • Barely important "refresh map, larger map, remove color codes" options moved up as well. I rarely use this options and they should not take up space near players list.
  • Tournament label left where it was
  • Right-hand area filled with players info only. Rank is crucial - sometimes you need to know who to kill first (especially in terminator games, lol)
  • Action and game statistics are below as proposed
  • Switched Troops and Region because: troops matter more (it is a direct indicator of someone's power) and Region should be next to Due column because Due depends on Region and it is necessary to have them near each other. An yes, it is like in BOB because BOB creators were smart and understood that troops-regions-due is a correct order :).

Benefits: more space to the right of the map, uninformative pieces don't take important space, statistics is easy to read.
Colonel Dako

Postby darth emperor on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:23 am

I like Dako's idea(especially the clock near the dice so people will be more aware of his time left) the only think I disagree is why to put twice the name of the players?? Everyone is going to see down because there's where all is written and they won't pay attention to the names at the right so why to keep it?
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby Dako on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:41 am

darth emperor wrote:I like Dako's idea(especially the clock near the dice so people will be more aware of his time left) the only think I disagree is why to put twice the name of the players?? Everyone is going to see down because there's where all is written and they won't pay attention to the names at the right so why to keep it?

Because you need to have a short amount of useful information right in front of your eyes. All the additional useful things (statistics, game log, chat) - are down below and often you need to scroll down to get to them (think of netbooks). But if you have a list of players near the map - you need only 1 screen to play (of course, if you need to know more you just scroll down or use additional tools).

It is doubling the information, I agree, but sometimes you need to see important items two times or even more on the page.
Colonel Dako

Postby TODRICH on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:06 am

i like the stats on the side it beats scrolling down
Lieutenant TODRICH

Postby andyparos on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:24 am

I did until today but now it doesn't seem to work properly in chrome. Will have to try on another pc and get back to know whether it's just my pc. At the moment no colour showing up on anything but main map and have to scroll down miles just to get result of an attack.
Cadet andyparos

Postby ws1 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:51 am

no
Sergeant 1st Class ws1

Location: Chicago, New York, Detroit and its all on the same street

Postby darth emperor on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Dako wrote:
darth emperor wrote:I like Dako's idea(especially the clock near the dice so people will be more aware of his time left) the only think I disagree is why to put twice the name of the players?? Everyone is going to see down because there's where all is written and they won't pay attention to the names at the right so why to keep it?

Because you need to have a short amount of useful information right in front of your eyes. All the additional useful things (statistics, game log, chat) - are down below and often you need to scroll down to get to them (think of netbooks). But if you have a list of players near the map - you need only 1 screen to play (of course, if you need to know more you just scroll down or use additional tools).

It is doubling the information, I agree, but sometimes you need to see important items two times or even more on the page.

But really is so important?? I thinks is more important the troops due and the amount of spoils I mean when you are going to see their stats(something you'll surely do) you'll see the name and their colour,how many time you need to see it when you are playing your turn?? With once is enough to see and get the idea and set up your plan don't you think so?(of course if you are going to do a deep study then you'll need to see it more times)

ws1 wrote:no

Yes you convinced me with this argument :D
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby lackattack on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:26 pm

Excellent input, Dako! You've convinced me to go back to the drawing board. And thanks for explaining why troops comes before regions :)

I do take issue with the need to have rank next to the map. If I was choosing who to take out in terminator, I'd want to look at rank as well as troops to make an informed decision, and that wouldn't happen so often (although I wish it did ;) ).
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Blitzaholic on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:41 pm

I voted yes, I think this is better. Thx Lack in advance if you do change this. I agree with OP, that all members should play on the same playing field with tools-the army counts, etc., firefox or internet explorer, this also should be thought about: speed? any changes on this, some are faster than others and really unfair as well.
General Blitzaholic

Postby Dako on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:22 pm

lackattack wrote:Excellent input, Dako! You've convinced me to go back to the drawing board. And thanks for explaining why troops comes before regions :)

I do take issue with the need to have rank next to the map. If I was choosing who to take out in terminator, I'd want to look at rank as well as troops to make an informed decision, and that wouldn't happen so often (although I wish it did ;) ).

Always welcome :).

Looking forward to see new preview - I am sure you can handle all the margins and paddings so things will look neat.

Cheers,
Dako.
Colonel Dako

Postby jojousef on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:31 pm

i say make it an option were each person chooses wat he wants taht way it works best for everyone :)
Corporal 1st Class jojousef

Postby denominator on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:41 pm

lackattack wrote:I do take issue with the need to have rank next to the map. If I was choosing who to take out in terminator, I'd want to look at rank as well as troops to make an informed decision, and that wouldn't happen so often (although I wish it did ;) ).

It is still an effective strategy to take out the "best" player first, regardless of in-game context. Any time you eliminate a high ranked player and leave yourself with only lower ranked players, you increase your chances of winning.

I also believe that the original setup of information on the right of the map (Rank, Player, Spoils, and Turn Indicator) should stay there. Yes, it is redundant information now, but for those of us with BOB it has always been redundant information and I still use it.

The way I look at it is that any player should be able to play the game by just looking at the map and whatever else fits on the same screen. With those 4 pieces of information, you can play the game and make educated plays regardless of the stats or anything else. You can still scroll to the other stats, which gives you the side info and then some, but this means that anyone can play the game without having to scroll at all, the way it was before.

I do like moving all the other information above the map. Like Dako said, it's a one-time use type deal, so you can see it but you don't need to look at it every time you scroll to see the stats. However, like I've said before, I use the [refresh map] and [add colour codes] buttons quite often, so I don't like them at the top. That being said, I don't know the best place to put them.

Postby Dako on Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:05 pm

Yws, I use refresh map a lot also, but I always have color codes on. It just makes my life much much easier.

I just don't want to think about splitting refresh/color code/size action into 2 different areas. Will make the screen messy and torn.
Colonel Dako

Postby denominator on Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Dako wrote:Yws, I use refresh map a lot also, but I always have color codes on. It just makes my life much much easier.

I just don't want to think about splitting refresh/color code/size action into 2 different areas. Will make the screen messy and torn.

I agree. They need to stay together.

I think the most useful spot for them would be either directly atop the map, or directly below it.

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion