Conquer Club

CC is declining again!

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Is CC Declining?

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Coler wrote:
clangfield wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:12 hours later ....

Maybe if everyone stopped posting and bumping this thread, it wouldn't be in people's minds so much.
Accept that it has been declining, and turn your energies to a solution that may revive it and its fortunes.

1. Play games.

2. Talk about CC with anyone in real life who you think even might be interested.

3. Be friendly and supportive to new players. No cliques, no elitism, no nastiness.

New players come in, see all the maps and game-play options and get overwhelmed. They either join a game or start a game, and then they wait for days before they can actually play. They then end up dead beating and never come back to p;ay. Speed games are a thing of the past. This just hasn't been a recent thing. The were 12797 active players on just 2 years ago.

What this site needs is a organization system for the maps. Such as Historical, Future, space, geography etc. Maps also need to ranked according to complexity. Will these happen? I highly doubt it, and yes they has been suggested many times. Game-play options also need to be restricted to new recruits.

This site also needs a complete UI revamp so that it is mobile friendly. Google since April 1st has been ranking mobile friendly sites higher than sites like this one. That also detracts from a good gaming experience and players leave. This also won't happen anytime in the near future. A complete revamp has also been suggested.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby owenshooter on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:04 pm

Coler wrote:1. Play games.

2. Talk about CC with anyone in real life who you think even might be interested.

3. Be friendly and supportive to new players. No cliques, no elitism, no nastiness.

yeah... i literally watched 24 members that i was involved with on a daily basis, all walk away from the site... all paying members... they killed freestyle, they glutted the settings, they pushed through crap maps, they killed the forums, they banned people for life, they allowed cheating to run rampant without any real punishment (the only cheater to be "banned" was Blitzaholic, and he left on his own!!!!)... THEN THEY SOLD IT TO BIG WHAM!!! this man is trying his hardest and he has made more positive change than i have ever seen on this site, and he is still waging an almost impossible war... to from 30K to 8K, it is going to take more than talking to your friends... because, guess what? all my friends i talked into CC, that eventually became paying members... all of them, every single one of them, walked away...

i truly believe they need to pull back on the settings, the maps, the game play, the overall confusing glut. old members that were active and have returned, have commented in the forums about how overwhelming the site is now and about how long it takes to get games going (compared to a few years ago)... if a person that paid to be here before and has a great understanding of the site can be discouraged, imagine a new player. we have all talked about limiting what new players can see and play and it has been done. we have all talked about showing them how to play, and Big Wham did that with guide games and bot games.. i really think they need to either hide the glut in a section for players past a certain number of games or get rid of it. there are too few of us and too many maps/game types/settings.. they need to be organized and some of them only accessible past a certain number of games/pts.

i mean, people are now playing impossible speed/trench/no card/fog/adjacent and wondering why there games take so long and complain about people dropping out of games. WHY CAN ANYONE PLAY THAT STUPID ASS SETTING?!! it should not be an option. that is a setting that says, "i am not willing to give anyone a fair chance at winning or getting lucky in any way whatsoever. i am only playing to win points and not for fun, period." you know, kind of like what clan wars have become... anyway, this can be turned around, Big Wham is just going to have to make some hard decisions and big cuts to the fat of this site...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby ConfederateSS on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:50 pm

--------YES!!!!OH! HOLY ONE!!!!..YES!!!!. =D> =D> =D> ..I have watched a lot of regular joes. Leave..They came to play OLD SCHOOL RISK...All they had shoved in their face ...Games and Settings..Made to keep the CLANS and CLIQUES happy. BYE ,BYE went 20,000 regular joes.. YEAH! we have a hand full of LOYAL CLANNERS and CLIQUERS . :roll: .YEAH! COME ON OLD SCHOOLING RISK BABY!!...8314 "WHEEEEEEE"....HEY! GEORGE...WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE...One got Sonny Bono.. ;) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue And Silver Rebellion)...
Corporal 1st Class ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby clangfield on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:35 pm

Serbia wrote:
clangfield wrote:

Maybe if everyone stopped posting and bumping this thread, it wouldn't be in people's minds so much.
Accept that it has been declining, and turn your energies to a solution that may revive it and its fortunes.

Are you suggesting that talking about the decline is contributing to the decline?

Bollocks.

That was indeed what I was suggesting. Constant reminders of the site declining has, in my view, the potential to dishearten some players from returning.
Some of the later suggestions... if only. No cliques, no nastiness, no accusing people of being trolls when they just ask a question, no sarcasm (or at least, none for newcomers, save it for experienced members) - positive reinforcement and encouragement for new players has to help.
I have seen other sites grow quite successfully with a rank-range policy - they can be quite wide but I think it's worth a shot.

Perfume, cologne - well, that's my two scents...
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Anything that makes friends of owen go away is to me a site improvement, not a decline.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby xroads on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:50 pm

Do you know what contributes to the deline?

Ungodly odds that kill you.

In semifinals of long 1 vs 1 tourny. 15 games start, opponent goes first in 11, and has a first turn that is impossible to come back from in 7 of them. My 4 games I fail to card in 2 of them.

Stupid shit like this is what drives people away in droves.
Major xroads

Postby Serbia on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:05 am

clangfield wrote:
Serbia wrote:
clangfield wrote:

Are you suggesting that talking about the decline is contributing to the decline?

Bollocks.

That was indeed what I was suggesting. Constant reminders of the site declining has, in my view, the potential to dishearten some players from returning.
Some of the later suggestions... if only. No cliques, no nastiness, no accusing people of being trolls when they just ask a question, no sarcasm (or at least, none for newcomers, save it for experienced members) - positive reinforcement and encouragement for new players has to help.
I have seen other sites grow quite successfully with a rank-range policy - they can be quite wide but I think it's worth a shot.

The site declines
People talk about said decline
The site then declines due to discussion about the decline

Yeah, ok dude.

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby clangfield on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:58 am

Serbia wrote:
clangfield wrote:
Serbia wrote:
clangfield wrote:

Bollocks.

The site declines
People talk about said decline
The site then declines due to discussion about the decline

Yeah, ok dude.

Bollocks.

Never heard of a self-fulfilling prophecy?
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby Lord Arioch on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:41 am

Think positve man ... the bridge will be there!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clz9ykXMkeM
Captain Lord Arioch

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:06 am

It is a bit worrying when this is the first topic you seen when you click "forum" for the first time as a new user....
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby Serbia on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:10 am

clangfield wrote:Never heard of a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Yeah, except the decline was in process before the prophecy. But your method is much better; let's just pretend it's not declining, and everything is hunky-dory!

Stop talking about a decline, THERE IS NO DECLINE. Membership is increasing! Users are not leaving; these are lies being spread by Americans! The armies are far from the city gates; in fact, there are no armies to fear! Soon our membership will be at 100,000! Nothing can stop us now!

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby Lord Arioch on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:12 am

Oustanding that made me laugh!
Captain Lord Arioch

Postby flexmaster33 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:47 am

xroads wrote:Do you know what contributes to the deline?

Ungodly odds that kill you.

In semifinals of long 1 vs 1 tourny. 15 games start, opponent goes first in 11, and has a first turn that is impossible to come back from in 7 of them. My 4 games I fail to card in 2 of them.

Stupid shit like this is what drives people away in droves.

It's called random ... you have to learn how to manage those factors. The dice leave you for a round or two, weather the storm smartly and realize it is likely to swing back your way at some point. People screw themselves by over reacting when the dice don't behave as they think they should.
Current tourneys -- 2023-24 College Basketball, Arms Race! Best of Five, Conquer the World, 2024 Major League Soccer

High rank: Major. Place: 1,150. Points: 2,093
Sergeant 1st Class flexmaster33

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:48 am

mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby ConfederateSS on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:17 am

-----WHAT RUMOR??? OUR MEMBERSHIP IS 708,146 STRONG..NO REALLY ..THAT'S HOW MANY C.C. MEMBERS...ONLY 8,310 LOYALISTS THOUGH... :lol: :lol: :lol: "WHEEEEEEE"!!!!!!!!.ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)...

Postby xroads on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:22 pm

I wonder what the number will be when the Big Wham cuts his losses & sells it off.

5,000 paying members x $20 a year +$100,000K. Not a lot of revenue to run a big site.

I can already tell the honeymoon has worn off for him as things seem to be going down hill fairly quickly.
Major xroads

Postby clangfield on Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:55 pm

Serbia wrote:

Yeah, except the decline was in process before the prophecy. But your method is much better; let's just pretend it's not declining, and everything is hunky-dory!

Stop talking about a decline, THERE IS NO DECLINE. Membership is increasing! Users are not leaving; these are lies being spread by Americans! The armies are far from the city gates; in fact, there are no armies to fear! Soon our membership will be at 100,000! Nothing can stop us now!

Bollocks.

Incredibly amusing.
I'm not saying that not talking about it will make things better, but that talking it down may well accelerate the decline.
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:55 pm

clangfield wrote:
Serbia wrote:

Bollocks.

Incredibly amusing.
I'm not saying that not talking about it will make things better, but that talking it down may well accelerate the decline.

so how many percentage points are we talking about here?

by my assumptions I would say that there were about 30-75 members that decided to leave after reading this thread, and i'll say maybe like 20-55 new members that quit when they saw this title on their first trip to the forum tab, then there were somewhere around 18,000 that left due to the constant site restructure and how things were being run.
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:18 am

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:
by my assumptions I would say that there were about 30-75 members that decided to leave after reading this thread, and i'll say maybe like 20-55 new members that quit when they saw this title on their first trip to the forum tab, then there were somewhere around 18,000 that left due to the constant site restructure and how things were being run.

No, about 11,000 left due to frustration with the lack of site restructure under the previous do-nothing owners. Only a net 4,000 more have left since BW took over (8/27/2013 12652 BigWham reign begins) and tried to do some restructuring. Unfortunately you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, and there's an awful lot of eggs that had to be broken.

Very little recently, though. All the really big changes are more than a year old now, so "constant site restructure" is a bit of an exaggeration.. The stuff that's been added this year has been mostly small tweaks and small new features like campaigns. The centrepiece of the restructuring, panel mode, was introduced in January of 2014. Most of the bugs were out of it by May or June, and it's been basically stable since September, so the people still bitching about the bugs in panel mode, for instance, are clinging to complaints that are mostly a year old, more or less. Central command came in May of this year, but that was more cosmetic than anything else.

Still, the big hemorrhage from 23,500 to 12,500 happened while lackattack and then El Jefe failed to make needed renovations when they should have.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby owenshooter on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:17 am

Dukasaur wrote:Still, the big hemorrhage from 23,500 to 12,500 happened while lackattack and then El Jefe failed to make needed renovations when they should have.

you are conveniently leaving out the major change to Freestyle games... that created a mass exodus, as well...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Coler on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:48 am

Put it like this though...

I was inactive 5 years, and then had a random thought that I would come back. Bought premium without even thinking about it. Tried to get into a speed game similar to what I used to play (7/8 man esc on classic) and then thought WTF is going on here when there was no action.

Came into the forums...saw this thread.

Had I done it the other way around and read this thread first I probably wouldn't have bothered becoming active again. Which would have been a pity because I'm enjoying my casual games a lot.

Not to say it's stopping 000's of previously active members from re-enlisting but it definitely has a chilling effect.

Also does not motivate new sign-ups to hang around and pay.
Sergeant 1st Class Coler

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:54 am

But ... someone has propobly said this before ...
Lets stop looking back and try to get in with what we got! If u want something create opinion and pressure on BW... i think he will change stuff if he gets valid reasons to do it... but whining aint the way... i wasnt here in the "olden days" and ive had some troubles adapting to the new stuff, but its like microsoft updates it takes a while then u get used to it ... so insted of whining ...get with the flow and suggest good and valid changes negativism has never ever gotten u what u want!
Captain Lord Arioch

Postby waauw on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:17 am

owenshooter wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Still, the big hemorrhage from 23,500 to 12,500 happened while lackattack and then El Jefe failed to make needed renovations when they should have.

you are conveniently leaving out the major change to Freestyle games... that created a mass exodus, as well...-Jésus noir

For someone who was on hiatus from CC at the time, could you inform me as to what exactly changed?
Lieutenant waauw

Postby ConfederateSS on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:32 am

Lord Arioch wrote:But ... someone has propobly said this before ...
Lets stop looking back and try to get in with what we got! If u want something create opinion and pressure on BW... i think he will change stuff if he gets valid reasons to do it... but whining aint the way... i wasnt here in the "olden days" and ive had some troubles adapting to the new stuff, but its like microsoft updates it takes a while then u get used to it ... so insted of whining ...get with the flow and suggest good and valid changes negativism has never ever gotten u what u want!

-------No,one's whining.....JUST STATING THE FACTS...TO TRY AND OPEN ...THE HIGH COMMAND"S EYES...I JOINED TO PLAY RISK.OLD SCHOOL RISK.. O.K...I can live with new options in some of the settings. Some of the maps are KOOL ....But then more and more changes to settings and maps that have come along... Yuck!! What must new members think when they join..to PLAY OLD SCHOOL RISK!! I have seen a lot of good players join and leave..Because of those kinds of changes...MAYBE THE OLD WAYS ..WOULD BRING PEOPLE BACK. ;) The dice are what they are...No one should be complaining about them..You get good dice sometimes and bad..I know It pisses people off...But if you lose a 1,000 games or win a 1,000 games..You can always play a 1,000 more...So the dice are not the problem...For some people..They leave because ,people change..RISK just isn't their cup of TEA ANYMORE...No one can change that....."WHEEEEEEE!!" FREE FALLING!!!! :D :D :D .ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)

Postby BoganGod on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:27 am

Serbia wrote:
clangfield wrote:

Bollocks.

Don't mention the war!
Corporal BoganGod

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion