Conquer Club

Announcing Where Players are in Fog Games?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Announcing Where Players are in Fog Games?

Postby Campin_Killer on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:24 pm

What's the general take on this? I think it's a dick move and cheap, but what's the general opinion on doing this?
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
In the Trenches - 3 in sign-ups
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore

Lieutenant Campin_Killer

Re: Announcing Where Players are in Fog Games?

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Campin_Killer wrote:What's the general take on this? I think it's a dick move and cheap, but what's the general opinion on doing this?

I think it can be a useful strategic tactic. I don't at all believe that it's automatically a "dick move".

So...if it's done as a manner of trying to get the heat off of you and onto someone else, I think it's legit. The point of the game is to win, and whatever tactics you need to use within the game to do so (that haven't been stated as against the rules) are fair game. HOWEVER, if it's done solely because someone attacked you or (and most especially this!) you're about to be eliminated yourself and you're only doing it on your way out to try to get your attacker killed...then it's definitely a dick move.

So my answer is...a "definite maybe".

I would also point out that I have used this tactic, and even more often, I have used DISINFORMATION as a tactic. Don't be so foolish as to assume that what you're hearing is accurate information.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Frito Bandito on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:45 pm

It's generally bad form, usually sour grapes..... unless there has been a lot of chatter, in my opinion
Captain Frito Bandito

Postby nippersean on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:20 am

Campin_Killer wrote:I think it's a dick move and cheap

My opinion also.

But it's not against the rules so some people do it.

Also there is a middle line where maybe it's ok (imo), if you bump into a huge army and say "oh shit, quite a stack blue!" or somesuch. But this could be lies anyway.

Matter of opinion, and people lie like hell in multiplayer public games, in fog anyways. Like dropping 6, hiding them on a stack, no attacks, and posting "Dice!!" like you went 0-6 or something.
Brigadier nippersean

Postby QoH on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:41 am

nippersean wrote:
Matter of opinion, and people lie like hell in multiplayer public games, in fog anyways. Like dropping 6, hiding them on a stack, no attacks, and posting "Dice!!" like you went 0-6 or something.

This is common. I do this all the time. Or I used to when I was playing a lot of multiplayer games.
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby -Maximus- on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:45 am

Chat is part of the strategy of this game. If you are easily swayed by such maybe you should turn chat off. On the board game you may require Bose headphones.
If you wrong me I will hunt you down and destroy you.
Major -Maximus-

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:53 am

I usually don't tend to play too many Fog games where scenarios like this occur, but I've always seen the leaking of information / misinformation as one the 'diplomacy' elements of the game. But I think there will always be division on whether or not this conduct should be applauded or booed.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Gillipig on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:53 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I usually don't tend to play too many Fog games where scenarios like this occur, but I've always seen the leaking of information / misinformation as one the 'diplomacy' elements of the game. But I think there will always be division on whether or not this conduct should be applauded or booed.

--Andy

You're too polite for fog Andy! It's for the bad boys only ;)!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby KoolBak on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:15 am

Dick move. :evil:

But I also think alliances are for [expletives deleted]....so there ya go :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant KoolBak

Postby jgordon1111 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Fog game and you give me and my troop count away, F'ing foed for sure. And will either not rate you or give you 1's no matter if you won or not.

If you want to make alliances or talk about how many troops you have,dont play fog.
Private jgordon1111

Postby Woodruff on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:18 pm

jgordon1111 wrote:Fog game and you give me and my troop count away, F'ing foed for sure. And will either not rate you or give you 1's no matter if you won or not.

That doesn't make a lot of sense, to be honest. It just seems to be repulsively vengeful.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby crispybits on Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:09 pm

I'll give away all sorts of info (including exact troop counts) in fog games if it suits me to do so - and I expect the same from my opponents. Sometimes it's accurate, sometimes it isn't, depends what I'm trying to do in the game at the time. It almost works better when someone gets all hissy about it when I've told the truth because it just makes it more believable for whoever I'm trying to influence.

If you just want a pure dice game there's others out there, or play against opponents with loads of silent tags. A big part of this game in multiplayer (and especially fog) is diplomacy and influence (and deception). You gotta know how to make an alliance yourself, break an alliance made by others, and generally get other people to do what you want them to do. Anything within the rules to do that (used by me or against me) is totally fair game.
Major crispybits

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:33 pm

crispybits wrote:I'll give away all sorts of info (including exact troop counts) in fog games if it suits me to do so - and I expect the same from my opponents. Sometimes it's accurate, sometimes it isn't, depends what I'm trying to do in the game at the time. It almost works better when someone gets all hissy about it when I've told the truth because it just makes it more believable for whoever I'm trying to influence.

If you just want a pure dice game there's others out there, or play against opponents with loads of silent tags. A big part of this game in multiplayer (and especially fog) is diplomacy and influence (and deception). You gotta know how to make an alliance yourself, break an alliance made by others, and generally get other people to do what you want them to do. Anything within the rules to do that (used by me or against me) is totally fair game.

Pretty well said, I think. It is quite fun to watch (or be in games) where you can see someone effectively guiding their opponents to their own destruction through the use of influence, deception, and information. It adds a nice wrinkle to the usual "my stack is bigger than your stack" sort of gameplay.

--Andy

Postby jgordon1111 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Woodruff wrote:
jgordon1111 wrote:Fog game and you give me and my troop count away, F'ing foed for sure. And will either not rate you or give you 1's no matter if you won or not.

That doesn't make a lot of sense, to be honest. It just seems to be repulsively vengeful.

It keeps my normal paranoria in check if no one in the game is being political.

And these topics always give me new foes before I have to even play them.

Extensive foe list(not as high as RHP) but just reading C&A and these topics a few from them almost every time this topic comes up.

Keep up the good work OP's
Private jgordon1111

Postby Woodruff on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:30 pm

jgordon1111 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Extensive foe list(not as high as RHP) but just reading C&A and these topics a few from them almost every time this topic comes up.

Well make sure you foe me, because I absolutely use both information and misinformation in my fog games.

Postby jgordon1111 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Woodruff wrote:
jgordon1111 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Well make sure you foe me, because I absolutely use both information and misinformation in my fog games.

Sorry no can do Wood, I dont just foe some people all willy nilly you know.
Private jgordon1111

Postby Woodruff on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:38 pm

jgordon1111 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
jgordon1111 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Sorry no can do Wood, I dont just foe some people all willy nilly you know.

I'm confused then, since you said that these topics give you new foes before you even play them. That lead me to believe it was because you discovered who among those posting believed in the tactic you find so distasteful (like myself).

Postby jgordon1111 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:21 pm

some people Wood,some people,you I like,just making a mental note not to play you in fog.

After all its just my opinion on this Wood ;) Not personal you know.
Private jgordon1111

Postby Gypsys Kiss on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:35 am

Its okay.....happens all the time in war. If you dont like it, go play tiddly winks
Sergeant Gypsys Kiss

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Gypsys Kiss wrote:Its okay.....happens all the time in war. If you dont like it, go play tiddly winks

--Andy

Postby TeeGee on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:03 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Gypsys Kiss wrote:Its okay.....happens all the time in war. If you dont like it, go play tiddly winks

--Andy

Hmm
A Tiddly winks map, now that could be interesting
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Caught in the vacuum of a Black hole, drinking beers with a 3 eared yak

Postby JediJoe on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:42 pm

There is definitely a place for this (*edit* - to be used in very specific situations - not across the board). I've used it several times in the following situation:

Consider this - a player is obviously running away with the game. His opponents unite for survival's sake to push him back. You have to have some coordination, so you may have to shout out troop numbers.

Another scenario - a player has a huuuuge hidden stack, poised to destroy most of the competition on the board. You're the only one that can see it and sound the alarm, but too small to fight, but others can prepare for it if they knew about it.

Think about it in a real world scenario - you think there wouldn't be any coordination or sharing of information when needed? I think it's foolish to think otherwise...

If you don't use all of the tools at your disposal (including diplomacy), you are playing only a portion of this game effectively. Not meaning to step on toes, but the dude who wants to foe people left and right for things like this really should go play something like Tiddly Winks...

Diplomacy is a part of this game. Alliances are a part of this game. Misinformation is a part of this game.

I just played an 8 player doubles fog match where another team brilliantly used misinformation in order to win. I applaud them for tricking me!
Major JediJoe

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:10 pm

Funny, I have been tempted to call out what I see through the fog but end up just sucking it up or trying to handle it myself. Does this help me win? No. Does it maintain the integrity of the battle? I think so. You know not all cultures are adverse to honor, some actually would rather die than break a code. Just some food for thought. I'm not saying that either belief is "right", I'm just saying all's fair in love and war is not a universally accepted outlook, as some of you would like to believe.
I'm sick if hearing "well, the point is to win right????". What an assumptive, sheltered minded statement.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:17 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Funny, I have been tempted to call out what I see through the fog but end up just sucking it up or trying to handle it myself. Does this help me win? No. Does it maintain the integrity of the battle? I think so. You know not all cultures are adverse to honor, some actually would rather die than break a code. Just some food for thought. I'm not saying that either belief is "right", I'm just saying all's fair in love and war is not a universally accepted outlook, as some of you would like to believe.
I'm sick if hearing "well, the point is to win right????". What an assumptive, sheltered minded statement.

Some good points, I'd rather have my opponents honor me by playing their hardest and trying to win with whatever strategies they can conjure.

--Andy

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:04 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Funny, I have been tempted to call out what I see through the fog but end up just sucking it up or trying to handle it myself. Does this help me win? No. Does it maintain the integrity of the battle? I think so. You know not all cultures are adverse to honor, some actually would rather die than break a code. Just some food for thought. I'm not saying that either belief is "right", I'm just saying all's fair in love and war is not a universally accepted outlook, as some of you would like to believe.

Some good points, I'd rather have my opponents honor me by playing their hardest and trying to win with whatever strategies they can conjure.

--Andy

Well you sure told me didn't you?
Depends on where you're standing I suppose. If you're both already standing in the gutter, I imagine anything goes is the code. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion