Conquer Club

Why Don't More People Take Up Freestyle?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Why Don't More People Take Up Freestyle?

Postby KingRat on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 am

rhp 1 wrote:
aage wrote:
Why Don't More People Take Up Freestyle?

This is a strategy game. That means I actually like to think about what I do. Compare it to chess. You need to consider your options, possible retaliations, balanced offense-defense, and on top of that bonuses and alliances.
Yes, there are speed-chess games, but they're much less interesting because you only use a small part of your capacity to think about your next move, and therefore in hindsight you will regret it. I dislike that feeling and I tend to avoid it, and therefore I avoid freestyle.

I'm sure you enjoy it though.

don't wanna be rude... but you're fkn clueless... you're analogy is right on but supports fs play, not your position.. in speed chess, do you no longer have any strat? or do you just employ that strat in a faster, more efficient manner.... maybe your brain just doesn't work.. who knows..

+1 rhp
Highest Score: 3266

Cook KingRat

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:10 am

Why do people get so instantly defensive the moment someone even suggests that freestyle might have less to do with strategy than speed?
And honestly, if like some people have already admitted in this thread that even a fraction of a second could mean the difference between winning/losing in a freestyle match, how can you really argue that strategy plays a major role in the outcome?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rhp 1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 am

Mageplunka69 wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:
Mageplunka69 wrote:as of tuesday i will have 104 mbps ...woot woot

I'm still faster.... sorry if that hurts your feelings... you know I have nothing but love for ya big dog... ♥

worse yet... I think my modem was made by Egyptian laborers in their spare time when they weren't busy dragging huge boulders around....

Keep smoking pot, and when u wake up, you will know and always know, that i am faster than you...but I appreciate your optimism and l♥ve

Aww... I hit a nerve loverboy? If i actually smoked pot (smoking it while I'm sleeping no less if I read ur post correctly) then yeah... you'd be faster in that case....♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby rhp 1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:01 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Why do people get so instantly defensive the moment someone even suggests that freestyle might have less to do with strategy than speed?
And honestly, if like some people have already admitted in this thread that even a fraction of a second could mean the difference between winning/losing in a freestyle match, how can you really argue that strategy plays a major role in the outcome?

Sorry.. didn't mean to sound defensive... and I can argue exactly that because I'm proficient at seq and fs as are most of the top fs players who have posted in this thread... and I don't allow uneducated nieve posts to stand sans retort... if You or someone else posts something goofy I'm gonna say something... sorry...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby ZeekLTK on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:15 pm

I also agree that FS seems like it takes less strategy and is more luck/speed than anything else - which is why I avoid playing it (even 24 hr versions).

The main thing, to me at least, is that too many non-game factors can influence who wins the game. For example, the whole game can be changed based on who decides to take their turn first/last/whatever. Even though that shouldn't matter - it should only matter what happens on the map to determine the winner.

Being able to win (or lose) based on WHEN you take your turn rather than just what you do on your turn doesn't sound like strategy, it sounds like a glitch.
Lieutenant ZeekLTK

Postby KingRat on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:20 pm

I would go so far as to add that the strategy is more complex because you are not only applying your basic strat you are looking for ways to leverage your speed. Your perspective also changes when in every round you have the option of going either first or last. I will make moves that in normal play would make no sense if it puts me in a spot where i can deploy and kill a target in the first second of the next round.
So overall a totally different game and in summary strat + speed + optional order of play = WAY more complex game.
Highest Score: 3266

Cook KingRat

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:17 pm

rhp 1 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Why do people get so instantly defensive the moment someone even suggests that freestyle might have less to do with strategy than speed?

Sorry.. didn't mean to sound defensive... and I can argue exactly that because I'm proficient at seq and fs as are most of the top fs players who have posted in this thread... and I don't allow uneducated nieve posts to stand sans retort... if You or someone else posts something goofy I'm gonna say something... sorry...

I'm not saying that FS doesn't require skill, of course it does. It's just that isn't it possible that freestyle is a different skill set, not the exact same skill set as sequential and then some? Cuz that's what it sounds like you are saying.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby jsnyder748 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:20 pm

ZeekLTK wrote:I also agree that FS seems like it takes less strategy and is more luck/speed than anything else - which is why I avoid playing it (even 24 hr versions).

The main thing, to me at least, is that too many non-game factors can influence who wins the game. For example, the whole game can be changed based on who decides to take their turn first/last/whatever. Even though that shouldn't matter - it should only matter what happens on the map to determine the winner.

Being able to win (or lose) based on WHEN you take your turn rather than just what you do on your turn doesn't sound like strategy, it sounds like a glitch.

That is strategy. Knowing when to go....waiting....striking when the moment is right and winning by controlling the flow of the game over the course of 3 to 4 turns.
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby jsnyder748 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:

I'm not saying that FS doesn't require skill, of course it does. It's just that isn't it possible that freestyle is a different skill set, not the exact same skill set as sequential and then some? Cuz that's what it sounds like you are saying.

right, it is a different strategy; not better, not harder, but a completely different type of strategy from each other (freestyle is more complex because of the variable, but not any harder). Both strategies barrow from the other and when you master both most people find freestyle to be more enjoyable and much easier to win vs other players who are not as skilled. Of course, it is based on how much free time you have and sequential can be just as enjoyable when you are able to work as a team to beat others.

I was baffled by the moves some people would pull off when I was new to the style, but now I baffle others by winning in unique ways and using the many variables of freestyle to my advantage.
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Paddy The Cat on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:28 pm

I think people get defensive because it is wrong--when a game is filled with a collection of experienced, skilled players, that fraction of a second often is from a strategical difference, hesitation, getting confused by an oponents move (and therefore thinking too long to figure it out), etc. I am a little slower than a lot of the best freestylers, but I can honestly say that in at least 90% of the games when i missed a kill by a second, or sometimes even less than a second, that it was completely avoidable if I had adopted a different strategy. Maybe it was because I hesitated, spent too much time deploying in spots I didnt need to, waited too long to cash for a not so neccessary 5 armies, etc. But very seldom can I honestly say I lose speed games simply because I couldnt click fast enough.
Sergeant 1st Class Paddy The Cat

Postby rhp 1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Paddy The Cat wrote:

I think people get defensive because it is wrong--when a game is filled with a collection of experienced, skilled players, that fraction of a second often is from a strategical difference, hesitation, getting confused by an oponents move (and therefore thinking too long to figure it out), etc. I am a little slower than a lot of the best freestylers, but I can honestly say that in at least 90% of the games when i missed a kill by a second, or sometimes even less than a second, that it was completely avoidable if I had adopted a different strategy. Maybe it was because I hesitated, spent too much time deploying in spots I didnt need to, waited too long to cash for a not so neccessary 5 armies, etc. But very seldom can I honestly say I lose speed games simply because I couldnt click fast enough.

listen up folks... as a rule, I don't trust cats, but the feline speaketh the truth....
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby xiangwang on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Tenebrus wrote:
xiangwang wrote:
Tenebrus wrote:
xiangwang wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:
jsnyder748 wrote:I am not talking about ass doodles mage! I know those are fast. Im talking about the games that take strategy and thinking,....not that ass doodles aren't fun....but classic and assassin fuedals and 1 v 1's take time to fill and stuff

Used to be able to to cash, attack, and end in fuedal in 2-3 seconds....too bad I never got into speed more

Pretty much every top freestyler can do that... which is prob part of the problem... imagine if ur unskilled at fs and jump into a game with a bunch of players with that type of speed... I imagine it would be quite intimidating and something u wouldn't be rushing in to do again....

I cannot do that. I just play casual 8 man standard freestyle, u don't really need speed. Just don't have to wait 24 hours for each player to go. Plenty of people still enjoy 8 player non-escalation standard games (u do get some stalemates). Only thing you need in freestyle in my opinion is mainly patience and time, not necessarily speed.

24 hour freestyle games are the devil's setting - all you need to win is no life, and an alarm clock.

Oh, and a room mate or three helps. BOOM! I wasn't sure I was going to go there, but I'm so glad I did /stewie

Why is 24 hour freestyle the devil's setting? Are you stating it's worse than quickest finger/clickies. An alarm isn't useful when u cannot predict when people take their turns.

It is much worse than "quickest finger". In a normal freestyle game, everyone is on a level footing. You can see the turn starting, and yes, there will be times when the quickest player will win but that's balanced by the many times when a slower player can frustrate that with better strategy or planning or a block because the take-out isn't a 1 second job but needs more time than that. In 24hr freestyle, whoever can game it so that they are there at the start of a turn (and there are ways to do that, let's not pretend otherwise by saying you "can't predict" when other people will take their turn). That's why playing 24hr fs with people you know is particularly pernicious - even knowing the likely time that one or two other players will take their turn can give you an enormous advantage.

In speed fs the playing field is, at least in theory, level. In 24 hr freestyle you add some factors that are either about luck or people gaming the setting which are large enough to swing the game. It's worse even than 2 player on a simple map because at least the dice/first turn advantages should (again in theory) level out over time. That setting unavoidably adds elements of luck/gamesmanship which can't be avoided. I hates it, I hates it.

So...you are arguing whoever can "game it". Well anyone can "game it", it's not like players are forced to play first. I have seen games where 5-6 players (just need some patience) wait until the last hour to play (for example guarding the objective in 3rd crusade games). Doesn't rely on a quick connection. There's just another layer of strategy (aka timing) involved vs. who has the quickest finger and internet connection.
Brigadier xiangwang

Postby Tenebrus on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:18 am

That's right, but the difference is that the "strategy" requires you being around in the last hour - hence, the alarm clock/absence of social life. All the strategy in the world isn't going to help you if you don't take your turns at the right time. In speed fs, everyone is there and the playing field is level. In 24 hr fs it's really all about who can be there at the right time.
Lieutenant Tenebrus

Postby jakdown on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:35 am

I enjoy and play many speed FS games. I have been "foed" many times in the "learning process". I agree it is a total different game with differing strategies. The only thing I don't like about them is the strategy of waiting until there is 30 seconds left to start your turn and leaving the opponent little time, especially with a slow connection. I think this should be revised to only a 10 to 15 second delay instead of a 30 delay(talking about 1 minute games)
Sergeant 1st Class jakdown

Postby Mageplunka69 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:32 am

Lieutenant Mageplunka69

Postby rhp 1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Mageplunka69 wrote:all i can say now is http://www.speedtest.net/result/2634087204.png BOOM

wtf??? lol... you trying to fly to mars or something??

all I can say is... why the hell would you put your games on trench? negates all your "speed"... i know i know.. medals.. pffft....
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby rhp 1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:15 pm

jakdown wrote:I enjoy and play many speed FS games. I have been "foed" many times in the "learning process". I agree it is a total different game with differing strategies. The only thing I don't like about them is the strategy of waiting until there is 30 seconds left to start your turn and leaving the opponent little time, especially with a slow connection. I think this should be revised to only a 10 to 15 second delay instead of a 30 delay(talking about 1 minute games)

thanx for the input bud... not the worst idea I've ever heard...full disclosure here... I know when I get dice screwed against a noob, I lag out turns to balance the game back out as I know many won't be able to take their turn on bigger maps with only 30 or less seconds to play... if the dice are fair, I start my turn directly...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby rhp 1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Mageplunka69 wrote:all i can say now is http://www.speedtest.net/result/2634087204.png BOOM

2013-04-09 12:47:11 - rhp 1 assaulted Wiltz from Feulen and conquered it from Mageplunka69
2013-04-09 12:47:11 - Mageplunka69 assaulted Capellen from Bourglinster and conquered it from rhp 1
2013-04-09 12:47:11 - rhp 1 assaulted Clervaux from Wiltz and conquered it from Mageplunka69
2013-04-09 12:47:12 - Mageplunka69 assaulted Luxembourg City from Capellen and conquered it from rhp 1
2013-04-09 12:47:12 - rhp 1 assaulted Troisvierges from Clervaux and conquered it from Mageplunka69
2013-04-09 12:47:13 - rhp 1 assaulted Diekirch from Clervaux and conquered it from JumboJet74
2013-04-09 12:47:13 - Mageplunka69 assaulted Esch from Luxembourg City and conquered it from rhp 1
2013-04-09 12:47:14 - rhp 1 assaulted Mersch from Diekirch and conquered it from Mageplunka69
2013-04-09 12:47:14 - Mageplunka69 assaulted Dudelange from Luxembourg City and conquered it from rhp 1
2013-04-09 12:47:14 - rhp 1 assaulted Bourglinster from Mersch and conquered it from Mageplunka69
2013-04-09 12:47:15 - rhp 1 assaulted Capellen from Bourglinster and conquered it from Mageplunka69
2013-04-09 12:47:15 - Mageplunka69 ended the turn and got spoils

in fairness, Mage won the game, but that's not what this thread is about now is it... lol.. love ya!! mean it!!!
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby premio53 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 pm

I think the answer is the same reason some people like chicken and hate fish or vice versa. I just don't like playing with those settings. Need a more relaxed game.
Lieutenant premio53

Postby rhp 1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm

premio53 wrote:I think the answer is the same reason some people like chicken and hate fish or vice versa. I just don't like playing with those settings. Need a more relaxed game.

? I half fall asleep in fs games... last 10 seconds is when I even pay attention..not sure wtf you're talking about...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby xiangwang on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:26 pm

Tenebrus wrote:That's right, but the difference is that the "strategy" requires you being around in the last hour - hence, the alarm clock/absence of social life. All the strategy in the world isn't going to help you if you don't take your turns at the right time. In speed fs, everyone is there and the playing field is level. In 24 hr fs it's really all about who can be there at the right time.

Not necessarily true. There were some games where I knew I couldn't be around so I had to plan my turn in accordance (aka heavily guard the objective) or beat down the player who had a shot of reaching it to ensure he doesn't reach it. But this is in an objective setting, in most freestyle standard matches, doesn't exist. Not a big deal not to go last.
Brigadier xiangwang

Postby jsnyder748 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:33 pm

Tenebrus wrote:That's right, but the difference is that the "strategy" requires you being around in the last hour - hence, the alarm clock/absence of social life. All the strategy in the world isn't going to help you if you don't take your turns at the right time. In speed fs, everyone is there and the playing field is level. In 24 hr fs it's really all about who can be there at the right time.

right, and that is why you make sure to control the game from round 1. If i take my turn at midnight every night then almost every night of the week I will be up at that time.

speed of course has nothing to do with this though
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Mageplunka69 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:03 pm

jsnyder748 wrote:

right, and that is why you make sure to control the game from round 1. If i take my turn at midnight every night then almost every night of the week I will be up at that time.

speed of course has nothing to do with this though

speed keeps u up, sorry to hear that...we used to use Quaalude for that
Lieutenant Mageplunka69

Postby Mageplunka69 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 pm

rhp 1 wrote:

2013-04-09 12:47:11 - rhp 1 assaulted Wiltz from Feulen and conquered it from Mageplunka69
2013-04-09 12:47:11 - Mageplunka69 assaulted Capellen from Bourglinster and conquered it from rhp 1
2013-04-09 12:47:11 - rhp 1 assaulted Clervaux from Wiltz and conquered it from Mageplunka69
2013-04-09 12:47:12 - Mageplunka69 assaulted Luxembourg City from Capellen and conquered it from rhp 1
2013-04-09 12:47:12 - rhp 1 assaulted Troisvierges from Clervaux and conquered it from Mageplunka69
2013-04-09 12:47:13 - rhp 1 assaulted Diekirch from Clervaux and conquered it from JumboJet74
2013-04-09 12:47:13 - Mageplunka69 assaulted Esch from Luxembourg City and conquered it from rhp 1
2013-04-09 12:47:14 - rhp 1 assaulted Mersch from Diekirch and conquered it from Mageplunka69
2013-04-09 12:47:14 - Mageplunka69 assaulted Dudelange from Luxembourg City and conquered it from rhp 1
2013-04-09 12:47:14 - rhp 1 assaulted Bourglinster from Mersch and conquered it from Mageplunka69
2013-04-09 12:47:15 - rhp 1 assaulted Capellen from Bourglinster and conquered it from Mageplunka69
2013-04-09 12:47:15 - Mageplunka69 ended the turn and got spoils

in fairness, Mage won the game, but that's not what this thread is about now is it... lol.. love ya!! mean it!!!

lmao...it was alot of fun...I think i was in shock as to what i could do, but wasnt in a real hurry in that game ♥
doodle ass baby, im ready to beat that 7 second game...just need the old notifier cause this way sucks now ....hear me mods....ill turn it up
THIS WAY OF GAME NOTIFIERS SUCKS
but it was a blast of a game RHP, and ....and ...you will be entered into history now
You have been awarded the medal "Terminator Achievement - Gold". Check it out on your profile.....you were my special kill ♥↑♥
can we say 3 second game, is it humanly possible?
Lieutenant Mageplunka69

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:06 pm

rhp 1 wrote:? I half fall asleep in fs games... last 10 seconds is when I even pay attention..not sure wtf you're talking about...

Probably because you've played a bajillion of them.
Colonel Funkyterrance

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion