Conquer Club

tie breaker rules in auto tournaments?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: tie breaker rules in auto tournaments?

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 04, 2015 3:58 pm

dario2099 wrote:
betiko wrote:
dario2099 wrote:So if I understand correctly, since I was one of the last persons to join the CC8 tournament, if I lose my 3 games in round 2 i'll be eliminated. Had I known that I would never had joined. With 7 players there's a good chance I'll lose the 3. I guess I have to win at least one game. And it will be even worst if I advance to round 3 where the games will have 8 players :(

look at the rules it's pretty self explanatory... score resets after round 2. I'm in the same situation as yourself, I won 2/3 of my round 1 games, it's almost certain that with 2 wins we are already qualified for round 3 even losing all our round 2 games... Maybe a few will get screwed with 2 wins in 6 games, but I highly doubt it. 0 or 1 wins in 6 games shall kick you out of the tournament though.. maybe a few lucky guys can qualify on tie breaker rules with just one win.

Round Details
Round 1: Random Draw, 3 Games, 196 Move On, Games: 4 Players, Standard, Escalating, Classic More
Round 2: 196 Start, Random Draw, 3 Games, 128 Move On, Games: 7 Players, Standard, Escalating, Classic More
Round 3: 128 Start, Score Resets, Random Draw, Best Of 3, 96 Move On, Games: 8 Players, Standard, Escalating, Classic More
Round 4: 96 Start, Random Draw, 3 Games, 65 Move On, Games: 6 Players, Standard, Escalating, Classic More
Round 5: 65 Start, Random Draw, 3 Games, 48 Move On, Games: 5 Players, Standard, Escalating, Classic More
Round 6: 48 Start, Random Draw, 3 Games, 24 Move On, Games: 8 Players, Standard, Escalating, Classic More
Round 7: 24 Start, Random Draw, 3 Games, 12 Move On, Games: 6 Players, Standard, Escalating, Classic More
Round 8: 12 Start, Score Resets, Random Draw, 4 Move On, Games: 3 Players, Standard, Escalating, Classic More
Round 9: 4 Start, Random Draw, Games: 4 Players, Standard, Escalating, Classic More

That's even worse. I'll advance to round 3, but what for? I was like the 250th player to join the tournament, so if there's a tie, with the score reset, it's over for me. And I paid to join :evil:

Come on, 8 players and only 3 games, I'll have to win one, yeah well easier said that done. I'll play the games but what are my chances? Close to O. What a stupid rule.

Precedence is the third tiebreaker. It only comes into play if the first two tiebreakers fail to break the tie.

But with that being said, yes of course you need to win some games to keep advancing. That's the whole point of a tournament.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Mon May 04, 2015 6:24 pm

I have to recheck the rules, but from my understanding the "score reset" would still make our round 1+2 results prevail in case of a tie?

I hope it does, otherwise the rule is even more bs. For example, if we win 0/3 on round 3 and less than 96 players win a round 3 game, how does the tie break works?
If on rounds 1+2 we won like 3/6 this will count less than who joined first? Some dude that wins 1/6 on round 1+2 and 0/3 on round 3 but that joined before us would qualify and we would get eliminated?

Edit: after re reading the scoring rule, the first tie breaker is the win % in the entire tournament... Few!! Sounds legit.
Join order is just the third criteria.
Major betiko

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 04, 2015 6:33 pm

betiko wrote:I have to recheck the rules, but from my understanding the "score reset" would still make our round 1+2 results prevail in case of a tie?

I hope it does, otherwise the rule is even more bs. For example, if we win 0/3 on round 3 and less than 96 players win a round 3 game, how does the tie break works?
If on rounds 1+2 we won like 3/6 this will count less than who joined first? Some dude that wins 1/6 on round 1+2 and 0/3 on round 3 but that joined before us would qualify and we would get eliminated?

Yeah, you're correct.

Overall wins are the first tiebreaker, so your round 1+2 results will count in that your round 3 scores don't give you a clear result.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Mon May 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
betiko wrote:I have to recheck the rules, but from my understanding the "score reset" would still make our round 1+2 results prevail in case of a tie?

Yeah, you're correct.

Overall wins are the first tiebreaker, so your round 1+2 results will count in that your round 3 scores don't give you a clear result.

Yup just went to check and edited my post before your reply. Thank god it goes that way, otherwise it would ve been absolutely unfair. I think that dario got mistaken about that part.
Major betiko

Postby Donelladan on Fri May 15, 2015 4:09 am

betiko wrote:I see that in my round 2 games I have at least 1 guy who is again deadbeating and who has passed round 1 deadbeating all his games... he never logged back since sept 2014.
I guess there are a lot of other round 1 losers+deadbeats who passed the round with this "great" tie breaker rule.

really, really brilliant. Definitely a fantastic tournament setting combined with a fantastic tie breaker rule...

Not one commented it, so I just gonna repeat it. Deadbeat from the first turn did go through the 2nd turn of this tournament, deadbeating again. Maybe it is just one among all of the deadbeats we had in the 1st turn, I do not know I do not have time to go through all games, but still, one is one too much imho.

Don't get me wrong, I think auto tournament are a progress. But there is improvement to do. Deadbeating players are a problem in many auto tournaments I have joined.
Concerning this one I find very unfair for playing eliminating during the 1st turn that deabeat have been through, and annoying for people playing the 2nd round to have deadbeat in their game again.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Dukasaur on Fri May 15, 2015 5:09 am

Donelladan wrote:
betiko wrote:I see that in my round 2 games I have at least 1 guy who is again deadbeating and who has passed round 1 deadbeating all his games... he never logged back since sept 2014.
I guess there are a lot of other round 1 losers+deadbeats who passed the round with this "great" tie breaker rule.

really, really brilliant. Definitely a fantastic tournament setting combined with a fantastic tie breaker rule...

Not one commented it, so I just gonna repeat it. Deadbeat from the first turn did go through the 2nd turn of this tournament, deadbeating again. Maybe it is just one among all of the deadbeats we had in the 1st turn, I do not know I do not have time to go through all games, but still, one is one too much imho.

Don't get me wrong, I think auto tournament are a progress. But there is improvement to do. Deadbeating players are a problem in many auto tournaments I have joined.
Concerning this one I find very unfair for playing eliminating during the 1st turn that deabeat have been through, and annoying for people playing the 2nd round to have deadbeat in their game again.

Yeah, it is annoying.

I think it should add a (-1) to the score for deadbeating a game, and allow negative scores to stand. Thus, people with -1 in the tourney could be eliminated ahead of people with 0.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Fri May 15, 2015 6:34 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Donelladan wrote:

Yeah, it is annoying.

I think it should add a (-1) to the score for deadbeating a game, and allow negative scores to stand. Thus, people with -1 in the tourney could be eliminated ahead of people with 0.

sounds like a good idea to solve this issue.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:44 am

ok so I was looking at the standings for the conqueror's cup right now and there is something I don't understand in the rankings, if some mod could clear my doubt:

eminence grise and subprime are both at 4/12; but with just 1 win since the scores were reset.
Great ollie is at 3/9 with 1 point since the scores were reset. Shouldn't he be behind the other 2? sure, his 3 games from round 4 are still ongoing, but at the moment, the way I understand it is that they are tied in points since the point reset (1), and that the second tie breaker is overall points. And in that aspect, Ollie has a total of 3 while the other two have a total of 4. Why is he ahead of them?

https://www.conquerclub.com/player.php? ... nt_id=1249
Major betiko

Postby owenshooter on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:53 am

betiko wrote:ok so I was looking at the standings for the conqueror's cup right now and there is something I don't understand

why anyone would care?-jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby betiko on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:44 am

owenshooter wrote:
betiko wrote:ok so I was looking at the standings for the conqueror's cup right now and there is something I don't understand

cause there is 500$ in stake. Not really sure anyone cares that you don't care about something you're not even participating in though. move along.
Major betiko

Postby owenshooter on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:01 am

betiko wrote:
owenshooter wrote:

cause there is 500$ in steak. Not really sure anyone cares that you don't care about something you're not even participating in though. move along.

people are participating?!! is it really $500 IN steaks or $500 AT steak or is it really 500 Conquer Credits?!!-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby betiko on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:38 am

yeah well, AT stake. You know english is a foreign language for me, so obviously I make mistakes from time to time.
Major betiko

Postby owenshooter on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:33 am

betiko wrote:yeah well, AT stake. You know english is a foreign language for me, so obviously I make mistakes from time to time.

i want in!!
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:16 pm

betiko wrote:ok so I was looking at the standings for the conqueror's cup right now and there is something I don't understand in the rankings, if some mod could clear my doubt:

eminence grise and subprime are both at 4/12; but with just 1 win since the scores were reset.
Great ollie is at 3/9 with 1 point since the scores were reset. Shouldn't he be behind the other 2? sure, his 3 games from round 4 are still ongoing, but at the moment, the way I understand it is that they are tied in points since the point reset (1), and that the second tie breaker is overall points. And in that aspect, Ollie has a total of 3 while the other two have a total of 4. Why is he ahead of them?

All three of them have the same current score since the reset. (1).

First tiebreaker is win percentage. G.O. has 3/9, the other two have 4/12. All of the above resolve to 1/3 or 33.33% (to whatever decimal you want to take it) so they are still tied after the first tiebreaker.

Second tiebreaker is fastest wins (as counted by number of rounds). Presumably, G.O.'s 3 wins took fewer rounds than the 4 wins of the others, so that puts him ahead for now. Of course, he still has 3 games to play this round, and the others have finished all their games, so he has a chance to still raise his score for real.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:55 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
betiko wrote:ok so I was looking at the standings for the conqueror's cup right now and there is something I don't understand in the rankings, if some mod could clear my doubt:

All three of them have the same current score since the reset. (1).

First tiebreaker is win percentage. G.O. has 3/9, the other two have 4/12. All of the above resolve to 1/3 or 33.33% (to whatever decimal you want to take it) so they are still tied after the first tiebreaker.

Second tiebreaker is fastest wins (as counted by number of rounds). Presumably, G.O.'s 3 wins took fewer rounds than the 4 wins of the others, so that puts him ahead for now. Of course, he still has 3 games to play this round, and the others have finished all their games, so he has a chance to still raise his score for real.

ah ok thanks makes sense. I thought it was overall wins, not overall win %
Major betiko

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion