Conquer Club

How about a Canada map? [Abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What do you think about the map as it is now?

Total votes : 0

Postby supermarcol on Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:39 pm

no, thats the point having them there, it makes BC easier to defend.
-SuperMarcol
Sergeant 1st Class supermarcol

Postby Risk_06 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:57 pm

Now, in utter contradiction, once Quebec is fortified well, it is nearly impossible to take, and since the only way to get to the Maritimes is to go through Quebec, this basically turns a tough 6 into a loaded 8. One idea we had was to employ the NW Passage, maybe from Alaska (which might not be a bad addition to BC, btw, with a little tweaking... but it's a Canada map, not a US map). You could have that top bit of Iqualuit as a spot you must go through to make it to Quebec, but cannot attack the territories; the only way to get there would be from Prince George or Labrador.

Actually, this is exactly what happens in the Classic and USA map as well; once Asia/Great Lakes is properly conquered and fortified, it basically also includes Oceania/New England, since the only way to get to it is through them.

On another note...

Here's a thought for the map: Why not close up the Rocky Mountains on the BC/Prairies border?

It'll turn BC into a bit of an Oceania-like "continent", although I have to admit, it could be a little overpowering. What do you guys think?
Currently on vacation. Sorry.

Proud xiGAMES member!
http://xigames.net/forum
Click it! NOW!
Corporal 1st Class Risk_06

Postby supermarcol on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:03 am

As the map is right now (well the version I have on my computer, only difference is prairies are worth 6) every province is worth the number of defence points it has. I don't know if this gives a good balance or not, but it just happened to be like that. If I had to close anything, I think I would make the rockies turn and break the connection between BC and the territories. But the way it is now gives you mor options if your in BC and lets you plan some sneak attack between the territories and prairies. As I said, I'm considering everything you guys say, and I'll keep that in mind as a possible alteration.
-SuperMarcol

Postby molestar on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:42 am

good work.

I can't wait to play on it
Sergeant 1st Class molestar

Postby oman on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:35 pm

your first idea is by far the best :twisted: :mrgreen:
Cook oman

Postby thegrimsleeper on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:34 pm

I should mention that we only played one game. :oops:

All things considered, I think the map is in fine shape for CC play. If lack can get it onto the site, then we can get a REAL idea of what (if anything) needs improvement.

And for the record, I think closing the gap in the Rockies would be a bad idea.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby oman on Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:36 pm

whats with all the dots? :?
Hippi's rule!
Cook oman

Postby Itrade on Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:56 pm

I think you should color every territory in a continent the same like in Asia and Classic. Also why don't you steal the mountain look from Asia and color it brownish? It'll look better that way.
Last edited by Itrade on Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image My set is a bone coat-of-arms and chandelier! How cool is that?
Sergeant Itrade

Postby supermarcol on Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:12 pm

What dots? If you're talking about small islands well, they're there. If you're talking about the regions names, some of them are really long, and space is limited, so I abreviate... like S. Europe means southern europe. I tried to use different shades for different regions to make it look more interesting and less dull cause I dont have shading. Every province is under the same color "theme". And for the rockies, they could use some improvement. I tried to give it some relief while maintaining the "cartoony" look if I might say so. Right now I'm working on building a physical version of this map, so improvements for the online version will be delayed. But keep giving me ideas!
-SuperMarcol

Postby Itrade on Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:15 pm

The maritimes looks like an extention of Quebec. The thing about Oceania (in classic and asia) and Japan is that they both have a bottleneck. Not so with maritimes. Whoever holds them will have to spilt his armies in the two entryways, and will easily be crushed from one place and thwarted. You can fix this by removing the Labrador/Newfoundland link.

The small bit of Norman Wells should be merged with Taloyoak or be made its own country.

Finally, make it standalone. There's too much useless gray stuff around the place. It'll look better and allow small places to be bigger.
Sergeant Itrade

Postby supermarcol on Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:23 pm

well if you want to make analogies with the classic map, south america has got 2 entry points and is doing very well. As for merging taloyoak and norman wells, they actually are part of 2 different territories, one is in nunavut and one is in north west territories. I really don't like to mess up with boarders like that (e.g. puting labrador in quebec :( ).I don't see what would benefit from doing this change, specially since the map would go down to 41 regions instead of 42. The maritimes do seem a bit underpowered, but aren't they in real life? (sorry for my maritimers friends, I love you guys!). Its a problem since its only way out is in quebec. When Labrador was part of the maritimes, You could go get the territories from there, only problem is that that region could be attacked from everywhere. Its hard to find perfect balance. And as I said, I wont make any changes for now. I'm working on a physical version to play with my friends, then ill use that first hand experience to make final decisions.
-SuperMarcol

Postby Itrade on Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:51 pm

Oh man I've spent forty minutes on this reply. I have a headache. It's only got worse.

Here's what you should do and I really freaking hope that someone else has explained it in these forty minutes or that you'll get the concept in a quick look.

Also, use Imageshack and host it as a PNG.

I hosted it as a JPEG because of my headache. I thought it would just make the corrections I made look better. But now it looks like shit. Damn this temporary dent in my thinking-processes!
Sergeant Itrade

Postby supermarcol on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:04 pm

I have played a couple of games on this map with my friends this weekend and this is what i've gathered from it. The map seems pretty balance overall with a slight overpower of Quebec. The problem is not that quebec is too easy to defend or worth too many points, its that no one goes for ontario. That makes this boarder of quebec very easy to defend. To fix this I will add a river between ontario and prairies to make it easier to defend. It should balance out the map. I will post a picture of the risk board I made soon, and the modified version of the map as soon as I can.
-SuperMarcol

Postby Charbroil on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:14 pm

I like it. As long as it's legible, I think that that this map is pretty much perfect. The only thing you might want to do is get rid of most of the grayed out U.S. part so that the map can be a little bigger and easier to read. Other than that, it's fine.
Private Charbroil

Postby Shakebot on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:41 pm

When can we begin to play on this map?
Cook Shakebot

Postby dagreatbroomhead on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:15 pm

one last suggestion, you may want to put the purple territory writing (in the key, not on the map) in white instead of black so it's legible
Sergeant 1st Class dagreatbroomhead

Postby thegrimsleeper on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:20 pm

dagreatbroomhead wrote:one last suggestion, you may want to put the purple territory writing (in the key, not on the map) in white instead of black so it's legible

Read my mind. :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby supermarcol on Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:52 pm

I will ahve to move some names around a bit, and change colors and all. Now that the instructions to make a map are up, its only a question of me having time to do it before the map is done :wink:
-SuperMarcol

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas