Conquer Club

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

Postby supermarcol on Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:11 pm

Now that my canadian map is finished and doesn't seem to need changes, I find my head wandering to other possibilities. I think we have a lot of nice "real" maps, but we're low on the fantasy side, hence the idea.

I'm thinking of making a map from the ground up with the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy as a theme. I don't know how many fans we have on here, but help me out (specially you Marc and Gab). I'm doing this from memory.

These are the regions a.k.a. continents I'm considering :
Earth
Vogon fleet
Heart of Gold
Restaurant at the end of the universe
Flying party
Guide's headquarter
Magratea (is that how its spelled?)

Help me out with the other stuff that should be included, I know that universe is rich enough to have a thousand continents, but the more I get to choose from, the better it could get. Sorry for not having a picture yet, but this is still in the idea format.
-SuperMarcol
Sergeant 1st Class supermarcol

Postby thegrimsleeper on Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:42 pm

Great books, but I'm not sure how well they lend themselves to Risk... Taking over a Vogon Fleet as if it were a continent? :? Seems to me if you wanted to do a Sci-Fi Cult novel map, something like DUNE would be a better choice; something that is more political in nature to begin with...
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby IronWolf359 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:16 pm

The Hitchhiker's Guide series is awesome (as you can see from my signature) but I would have to agree with grimsleeper. It doesn't go well with risk.
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

-The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Cadet IronWolf359

Postby supermarcol on Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:24 pm

Hmmm maybe. I dunno. I'd like to see a good map that isn't based on geography, and since I love Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy I thought an adaptation is possible. But if it is not wanted I won't start it. It's just that the 2 obvious choices for the "fantasy" map are star wars and LOTR. But I don't want to get into those. If anyone has a good idea, state it!
-SuperMarcol

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:19 pm

I'd like to see more original works. Or at least something that strays away from various geographical points. Maybe an interesting design could be developed of a map on the basis of 1984, or Final Blackout, or any of the alternate reality/future ideas. Unique maps like this I would like to see implemented.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby supermarcol on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:24 pm

1984 is basically just world map, except there are 3 continents, or 4 actually. It would be kinda pointless cause the point of those landmasses is to be untakeable by the others :lol: . But I like the idea. I don't think I will do it, but its some interesting thoughts.
-SuperMarcol

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:21 pm

They weren't specific ideas, I just wanted to spark people's imagination for similar sort of unique thoughts.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby supermarcol on Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:21 pm

No, no, I know, I'm not dissing your ideas, they got me thinking
-SuperMarcol

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas