Conquer Club

How about a Canada map? [Abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What do you think about the map as it is now?

Total votes : 0

How about a Canada map? [Abandoned]

Postby supermarcol on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm

I've seen talk about middle earth and europe, but since there is a USA map, I thought why not have one of Canada. I tried to make some draft of it to see what it would look like and i think it would be interesting to play on. Sadly I have no talent for art so I cannot make this any better. But feel free to comment on it and give your impressions!

(I tried to divide the province according to existing trend, but I have no idea about these for ontario, the praries and nort west territories)

[EDIT] Reworked the map completely, check it out (only missing the rockies) This is the newest version.

[EDIT]Added the rockies, what do you think?

[EDIT]I want to know what you guys think. I think it needs just a little more tweaking to be perfect (hit refresh to see the latest map).

-SuperMarcol

Last edited by supermarcol on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class supermarcol

Postby lackattack on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:28 pm

it looks like it would play well. but it needs some artistic polish. as i mentioned in this topic, i'd like to allow members to submit their own maps.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby supermarcol on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:03 pm

I agree, I'm sure a lot of people have other great ideas/artistic talent. As for this map I'm still working on it as there are a few things that bother me (e.g. too many places in the praries) so I just wanted to know what people thought of it for improvement.

-SuperMarcol

Postby supermarcol on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:07 pm

Reworked the map, did it according to regions in the provinces... and its almost pretty enough to work!

-SuperMarcol

Postby ZawBanjito on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:20 am

Will there be a connection from one side of the map to the other?

Those are the Maritimes that are light blue, and are there five territories (ridings?) to it? The problem I see is that you have one, Labrador, with borders on two continents, with a second, New Brunswick (?) also bordering Quebec. So that's two access points, one of which will have to fend off the bonuses from two continents. (There's another if you add a cross-board connection)

Then there's the NW Territories, which not only has an extra territory, but have four access countries, one of which, again, needs to hold off two continents.

It seems like way too much work for only two extra armies. In contrast Quebec has only 8 territories and borders three continents, two of which only provide 2 army bonuses that will be severely stretched in defense. In fact, owning Quebec would easily give you the Maritimes, which are simple to conquer because an invasion could basically advance one territory at a time. So that's 9 armies and defense at only five points and facing two continents (unless there's a cross-board connection, which still would only border a 2 army continent.)

With nine armies, plus territory bonus, only having to defend against NW Territory, Ontario is easy picking, especially since, it being so narrow, you can advance gradually without significantly spreading your offensive front out.

How about reducing Quebec and Praries by an army and giving another to Maritimes and NW? Also, I'd like to see one of the territories in that Ontario peninsula vanish, and another get added somewhere in the middle to spread the a defensive line there across three territories. The same thing with the Maritimes. They need to be completely redesigned in my opinion.

It's looking pretty good. Those islands might need to be made bigger though?

[EDIT] I sound way harsh... I totally applaud you for this effort, and I want to see it succeed.

[EDIT] On further though, NW Territories needs more than three armies. It needs at least five, or a reduction of its border with Praries to a single territory and a severing of its border with Maritimes.
Colonel ZawBanjito

Postby supermarcol on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:24 am

I dont intend on putting a connection from the maritimes to BC simply because there arent in real life (unless you're willing to go around a long way :wink: )

for the maritimes, how about i add labrador to quebec instead?
I also think i will decrease quebec by one point as it does seem unfair to be 7 (i just tried to go with originla risk heh).
I will take out one territory from the ontario peninsula as it seems pretty cramped right now.
N-W territories will be increased to 4 (it was intended to be 3 originaly... little error) and I dont know if ill change the boarder with the prairies yet.
That leaves me with adding a country to the prairies, probably on the ontario front.

How does that sound to you?
Thanks a lot for the input! and as for sounding harsh, it didnt, constructive criticism is always welcome.

(I'll try to update the map tonight but for now i nedd to go to class)

-SuperMarcol

Postby supermarcol on Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:52 pm

ok, now here we go again.

-SuperMarcol

Postby love monky 2 on Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:28 pm

i like it you can use anbd it looks playable id add it in as soon as possible id love to play on it looks like fun and sounds like fun
my Quote: never tell me the odds.
i see something that we cant see know what that is "pm" me to find out
name: nintan killim
Private love monky 2

Postby lackattack on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:53 pm

Yeah, nice job SuperMarcol. Just hang on to it for now cuz I'm a bit swamped, ok?
Sergeant lackattack

Postby supermarcol on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:13 am

no prob :wink:

-SuperMarcol

Postby ZawBanjito on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:52 am

Hey! That's cool.

I still, however, think Maritimes is too much of an easy take from Quebec. How about severing Newfoundland from Labrador so there's only one defense point? Then it would be roughly equivalent to Australasia on Asia.
Colonel ZawBanjito

Postby Maverikc on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:56 am

I like it this way. Although maritimes has 2 contact points, it makes it similar to south america. So is the west coast.
Maverikc
Private 1st Class Maverikc

Postby ZawBanjito on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:28 am

The difference is that the West Coast can be fought over because it borders two continents. Maritimes can't really, because it only borders Quebec. So if someone has it and wants to hold it they're going to have to defend. And with a 2 army bonus facing a 6 it's going to be a short defense unless it's done at one point. Also, a player would want to use the easy to capture Maritimes as a jumpoff to capture Quebec. It would be very hard to do this having to defend at the back while building up at the front, especially with Ontario and NW so close at either side.
Colonel ZawBanjito

map creation........

Postby YP_Legend on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:13 am

:!: Very nice job supermarcol! Not only am i impressed but this is cool as hell. What program(s) :?: did you use to make this, if you don't mind me askin?.........again, looks very nice. YP
Proud xiGames Member
_________Image_________
Lieutenant YP_Legend

Postby supermarcol on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:55 am

I know there is something to fix with the maritimes but consider that quebec should be very hard to take over so if you do have the maritimes, you can fight with your +2 bonus and prevent the guy in quebec to get his +6... depends of your playstyle, but im always open to suggestion. As for the program I used, I used flash heh! I know its not the best but its as much as i know. I had to hand draw the map from another one, it helps that I have one of those pen tablet.

-SuperMarcol

Postby meltinguras on Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm

the regions are too susceptible to attack, u should make it like the USA map where many areas cannot attack each other, for example, the prairies have 5 provinces that can be attacked for the west, north & ontario, thats way too difficult to defend
Lieutenant meltinguras

Postby Risk_06 on Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:42 pm

Yeah, a lot of the territories have many entrypoints, like B.C. You only get 2 extra armies, and there are 3 places to get hit by.

Perhaps you should do what meltinguras suggested; "divide" each "continent" and add bridges in between, just like the US map.

It'd make things easier, and more flexible.
Corporal 1st Class Risk_06

Postby ZawBanjito on Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:08 pm

Yeah, but I have to say I think the US map is ugly for just this reason. I would like to see it solved without breaking it up, because it's a fairly attractive map. Liberally jigging the territories around a bit so there are less on the borders might do it.
Colonel ZawBanjito

Postby supermarcol on Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:26 am

Hmmm, I mentionned that it is missing the rockies (namely because I can't draw and this map looks good and I dont want to put ugly mountains on it :wink: ) So BC will either have 1 or 2 entry points. As for the prairies, they will be pretty hard to defend, so will quebec, so will the territories and so will ontario. I think this map should be overall harder than the original one, but i like it this way. And i totaly agree that the usa map is ugly, forcing separation where there aren't is... immoral :roll:. But I am open to your input. This map pretty much follows the "real" separations. Thats why I like it. But I still have the rockies to place. And could rework the territories. Continue to give me ideas!

-SuperMarcol

Postby Matteo_zelenko on Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:11 am

This is a rather useless suggestion, however just for the sake of my preference...Why not use some of the historical names of the regions. Like Upper and Lower Canada, New France, Rupert's Land. As well with some cities like Ottawa which was originally Bytown. You could also add in the territories held by the Iroquois, Huron, Acadians...maybe throw in a Hudson Bay Company plot...In any case it's a good job. Perhaps a pre-confederation map is what I had in mind.
Corporal 1st Class Matteo_zelenko

Postby supermarcol on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:56 pm

Hmmm I guess I could do that, but the problem is that I have no knowledge or available map from that era. It would also require to draw a new map again, which I am not up to for the moment :D . With assignements and midterms coming, ill try to finish this one first and then we coulde see!

Oh and I didnt say it yet, but amazingly great job on the site lackattack! I could never have dreamt of finding something better!
-SuperMarcol

Postby supermarcol on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:56 pm

Ok, I gave a try to the rockies, tell me what you think of it, pretty, ugly, good concept but should be redone? out of all the things I tried, this is the one that looked the most like mountains to me. I will try to play a game on this map with my friends in the coming weeks, to see if its playable and find its weakness. I encourage everyone who wants to to print it and play with your friends (just ask me if you want a bigger one)

-SuperMarcol

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:56 pm

So I printed this map out to about 33 x 51 inches, took it over to my friend's house where we play face games. We liked it, though it had good potential. A couple of suggestions...

Ontario and the Prairies are incredibly hard to hold. I'm not sure if there's actually a river or mountains you could use to bust it up in real life, but it is hard.

Now, in utter contradiction, once Quebec is fortified well, it is nearly impossible to take, and since the only way to get to the Maritimes is to go through Quebec, this basically turns a tough 6 into a loaded 8. One idea we had was to employ the NW Passage, maybe from Alaska (which might not be a bad addition to BC, btw, with a little tweaking... but it's a Canada map, not a US map). You could have that top bit of Iqualuit as a spot you must go through to make it to Quebec, but cannot attack the territories; the only way to get there would be from Prince George or Labrador.

Just a few ideas for you to think about. It's a pretty solid map,I think the NW Passage would make it even stronger. The little countries in SE Ontario are pretty hard to keep track of, but then, I was playing with pieces. I'd imagine it's much easier with numbers on a screen.

Piece to the Eest...
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby supermarcol on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:13 pm

Wow thanks a lot for that input. My friends and I should play a game on it next week too. Although theoreticly Quebec should be hard to keep (its got 6 entry points) maybe its not as hard as I thought. I will try to see how I can fix that, maybe play with the boarders. I dont want to put a way around the map because it doesnt seem very realistic to go around the world to attack another region, but thats just my personnal preference. Maybe I could just tweak the bonuses. I do think the prairies are worth 6. As I said this is still under construction and all input is welcome! I fixed some typos in the map and oh yeah, i had forgotten to put in a country :? (you'll need to refresh to see the new map). So I'll reflect on what you have said and try to come up with an fix! Thanks again!

P.S. I'm making a set of cards to go with it. There not completely finished yet but I could send them to you when they are.
-SuperMarcol

Canada

Postby oman on Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:34 pm

can you atack across the mountains? :?: :?
Cook oman

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas