Conquer Club

Four corners

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Four corners

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:23 am

So I just had this idea and how didn't I think of this before?

ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Re: Four corners

Postby theBastard on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:39 am

interesting idea. just, why these countries?
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby natty dread on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:49 am

Awesome idea.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:16 am

What are you going to tie these 4 together?

Nice idea though.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:42 am

theBastard wrote:interesting idea. just, why these countries?

Because they're small. Because they're often overshadowed by their neighbors and don't have maps of their own. Because those territories are actual administrative divisions and I can't be bothered to do enough research to split a country up into meaningful territories on my own.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby theBastard on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
theBastard wrote:interesting idea. just, why these countries?

Because they're small. Because they're often overshadowed by their neighbors and don't have maps of their own. Because those territories are actual administrative divisions and I can't be bothered to do enough research to split a country up into meaningful territories on my own.

:P

Postby natty dread on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:05 pm

This gives me an idea:

A world map, where each continent is separated from the others.

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

natty_dread wrote:This gives me an idea:

What are the bonus regions like?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby theBastard on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:

maybe for each continent another...?

Postby natty dread on Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:

Well... ideas could be taken from the existing maps of those continents. Or World 2.1.

The only problem is that North & South Americas are kind of connected by land, and the same could be said of Eurasia & Africa. Maybe they could be made into pairs that can bombard each other, or cross through a killer neutral or something.

Another idea: reversing the victory condition idea... into a losing condition: you need to maintain a presence on all of the maps or you're eliminated from the game. That could be interesting, like playing 4 games at once and if you lose one you lose all... the only problem here is making it so that everyone gets equal territories in all separate areas.

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:58 pm

natty_dread wrote:Another idea: reversing the victory condition idea... into a losing condition: you need to maintain a presence on all of the maps or you're eliminated from the game. That could be interesting, like playing 4 games at once and if you lose one you lose all... the only problem here is making it so that everyone gets equal territories in all separate areas.

I think that last bit is one reason a victory condition map is better than a losing condition map. That said, possible deployment imbalance will certainly exist, and I can't think of a better way to combat that than having loads of territories.

Would a map like this be better with three small maps, rather than four? There'd be room for more territories in each and the players' attentions would not have to be split in so many ways.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:That said, possible deployment imbalance will certainly exist, and I can't think of a better way to combat that than having loads of territories.

How about starting positions? Group up territories of different areas and set them in the same starting position. So that each starting position would have a territory from each area. Although for this to work, the areas should be pretty much identical in territory count.

Evil DIMwit wrote:Would a map like this be better with three small maps, rather than four? There'd be room for more territories in each and the players' attentions would not have to be split in so many ways.

I don't know, I like four. It's an even number. And you can always go supersize.

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:45 am

natty_dread wrote:How about starting positions? Group up territories of different areas and set them in the same starting position. So that each starting position would have a territory from each area. Although for this to work, the areas should be pretty much identical in territory count.

This limits the possible starting territory configuration by a fair bit. I suppose if this really must be done it wouldn't be too terrible, but I'd rather not resort to starting positions if there's no need.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby theBastard on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:17 am

if I good understand, you can not have losing coditions here.
only victory conditions. so what about: hold one country and at least one region in others countries to win?

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:50 am

theBastard wrote:if I good understand, you can not have losing coditions here.
only victory conditions. so what about: hold one country and at least one region in others countries to win?

You can have losing conditions. Middle Ages has them with the hold one castle or you are out. Same with Antarctica with hold a base or freeze to death.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby theBastard on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:00 am

koontz1973 wrote:

You can have losing conditions. Middle Ages has them with the hold one castle or you are out. Same with Antarctica with hold a base or freeze to death.

I know. I meant Evil does not want to have them...

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:04 am

This is a phenomenal idea!

I think its a little strange picking such a group of countries, but I suppose it works.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:36 pm

That would cause some impossible scenarios; say, if player A was eliminated from one map and player B was eliminated from another, and player C from a third, there's no way of re-entering a country once you're eliminated from it.

Industrial Helix wrote:I think its a little strange picking such a group of countries, but I suppose it works.

Do you have a better idea?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby theBastard on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:

That would cause some impossible scenarios; say, if player A was eliminated from one map and player B was eliminated from another, and player C from a third, there's no way of re-entering a country once you're eliminated from it.

this sounds logic. maybe we can have one "impossible to win" map LOL

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:35 pm

I love this! :D I definitely like the winning condition, and feel it's more appropriate (and necessary) than the losing condition. The main issues I see are starting positions and making sure the level of difficulty of conquering each country is roughly the same.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:Do you have a better idea?

Heh, not really. I tried thinking about it for a better idea set in maybe WWII or Rome or anything and came up with nothing. You might try a theme, such as OPEC countries. Cities in the UAE. Port cities of China. Islands of the Mediterranean. Islands of the Caribbean. I dunno. They're not great ideas, but I think a unifying theme would help.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:

Heh, not really. I tried thinking about it for a better idea set in maybe WWII or Rome or anything and came up with nothing. You might try a theme, such as OPEC countries. Cities in the UAE. Port cities of China. Islands of the Mediterranean. Islands of the Caribbean. I dunno. They're not great ideas, but I think a unifying theme would help.

Perhaps those land-islands, like Lesotho and Swaziland, where they're surrounded by a single country?

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Boler on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Definitely a cool idea, but I'm a little nervous of the fact that once you're kicked out of a country, you can't come back. I suppose that's the point, but still... I wouldn't like to be in a good position, but lose because I'm powerless to stop someone in another corner who found easier opposition.

Perhaps you could have a capital in each country, which could bombard every other capital (attack but not conquer). That means you could still have an effect on another person winning, but you could still be kicked out of a country.

But on the other hand, that might take away the purpose of being kicked out of a country entirely...

I dunno, it's just a suggestion. Otherwise, this could turn out great as a very different but fun map! Great idea! :)
Sergeant 1st Class Boler

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:15 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:

Perhaps those land-islands, like Lesotho and Swaziland, where they're surrounded by a single country?

-Sully

Swaziland borders both Mozambique and South Africa.

On another note, perhaps this idea would work for some of those really tiny countries like the Vatican, Lichtenstein, Andorra, Fiji, Bahrain, ect.

Not that I have a huge problem withthe countries selected... but just throwing it out there.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby 40kguy on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:

Industrial Helix wrote:I think its a little strange picking such a group of countries, but I suppose it works.

Do you have a better idea?

4 corrners of amarica?
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas