Conquer Club

3d map. Life in prison...Money and Respect (new poll.page 7)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What angle do you think is best? (look at page 7 for the images)

Total votes : 0

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:35 am

dominationnation wrote:one thing I dont get is how it woul be done. It seems like it would be to confusing as to where all the borders are. Maby if you actually drew up a map I would be able to see it. Can you get a quick 3d map up

there are no borders yet. i'm working on the 3d structure first, then i'll work on borders and bonuses and such.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby dominationnation on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:36 am

DiM wrote:
dominationnation wrote:those are really good. That could easily be added to the cc roit map

what's cc roit?? :shock: :?
the super max prison riot. The prison map that mibi is making
Cook dominationnation

Postby Teya on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:47 am

DiM wrote:"go to another site" is not constructive at all. just say if you'd like it or not.

That was taken out of context a bit. What I mean is if you want to play RPG's, play them at a different site. Trying to work them into risk I dont think is a great Idea.

As for the 3D map thing, firstly my opinion is maybe the 3D stuff should be left to the likes of Widowmakers and Mibi. The guys that know exactly what they are doing.

How I understand what you are suggesting is that there are going to be territories hidden behind walls and the map will need to be rotated to see them. Is that correct? If so, can you explain how freestyle games and RT games would work? I dont think it would.

What WM is doing with the circus maximus revamp I see no problem with. But When you start talking about rotating images and stuff.... I really see no point.

Lastly, I dont get why so much discussion is brought up about things that are in no way possible and wont be possible in the foreseen future. Its just a complete waste of time. You are better of using your time on a workable map.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:48 am

dominationnation wrote:
DiM wrote:
dominationnation wrote:those are really good. That could easily be added to the cc roit map

what's cc roit?? :shock: :?
the super max prison riot. The prison map that mibi is making

ah. :lol:

yeah i guess so but mibi is making the inside of the prison at cell level. i'm making a whole prison camp with church, license plate factory, guards quarters, garage, a quarry, cellblock, heliport, walls, common yard, library, mess hall, sports yard, etc.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Wisse on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:51 am

DiM wrote:
KEYOGI wrote:Care to elaborate more on the images? How they all tie together and such?

the images are part of a prison map. but the whole map is far from finished so that's why i only posted bits of it.

and before you say mibi is doing a prison map we don't need another one let me inform you i talked with mibi about a prison map before he even posted his thread and clearly there's enough rooms for 2 prison maps because this one has a whole new gameplay (not possible yet because i need some more xml features)

there are never enough maps ;)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:56 am

Teya wrote:
DiM wrote:"go to another site" is not constructive at all. just say if you'd like it or not.

That was taken out of context a bit. What I mean is if you want to play RPG's, play them at a different site. Trying to work them into risk I dont think is a great Idea.

As for the 3D map thing, firstly my opinion is maybe the 3D stuff should be left to the likes of Widowmakers and Mibi. The guys that know exactly what they are doing.

How I understand what you are suggesting is that there are going to be territories hidden behind walls and the map will need to be rotated to see them. Is that correct? If so, can you explain how freestyle games and RT games would work? I dont think it would.

What WM is doing with the circus maximus revamp I see no problem with. But When you start talking about rotating images and stuff.... I really see no point.

Lastly, I dont get why so much discussion is brought up about things that are in no way possible and wont be possible in the foreseen future. Its just a complete waste of time. You are better of using your time on a workable map.

why not? it looks cool i love rpg's and if it would become a risk rpg it would be great

i think everyone may try, i didn't know what i was doing when i begin my china map and look how my first map is looking? (i guess the second one will become better but that doesn't mind)

what about a new style of gameplay?

its just an idea, why not?

its because it is possible in the future i think (who nows we get something like flash but works with html/xml or css?)
also you can get ideas out if it for things that are possible right now
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:01 am

Teya wrote:

ok. first of all. an RPG map is not that far fetched. if you take your time to search the net you'll find lots of Risk variation. i've played over 20 and i'm sure there are even more. indeed none of them was about RPG but some were so far away from the classic recipe you won't believe. do you think the guys that invented them were told "go away and play something else" ? no, they were encouraged and thus many variations appeared, some good, some bad, but each with it's own fans. and i really can't see any harm in having dozens of risk variations. remember terminator or assasin are variations and we have them on CC. i agree they are minor variations but who know what the future may bring? perhaps nuclear risk or castle risk or an RPG risk.

Teya wrote:As for the 3D map thing, firstly my opinion is maybe the 3D stuff should be left to the likes of Widowmakers and Mibi. The guys that know exactly what they are doing.

this one is just absurd. first of all mibi never did a 3d map so i don't see why you mentioned him. widowmakers is the only one that made a map in a 3d program.
and second, why should i leave 3d making to mibi or widow? perhaps everybody should quit map making then because they have such great skill? get real teya! read twice what you write before you hit the "post reply" button.

Teya wrote:How I understand what you are suggesting is that there are going to be territories hidden behind walls and the map will need to be rotated to see them. Is that correct? If so, can you explain how freestyle games and RT games would work? I dont think it would.

the territories can be seen from any isometric point of view so there will be nothing hidden. because rotating and zooming is not possible, this map will be something similar to circus maximus. a map made in 3d that's converted to 2d by limiting it to an isometric point of view. i just started this thread because i got carried away with minor details that aren't visible from an isometric view and i thought we should have rotating and zooming.

Teya wrote:What WM is doing with the circus maximus revamp I see no problem with. But When you start talking about rotating images and stuff.... I really see no point.

why?

Teya wrote:Lastly, I dont get why so much discussion is brought up about things that are in no way possible and wont be possible in the foreseen future. Its just a complete waste of time. You are better of using your time on a workable map.

how do you know it's not possible? have you talked with lack? or perhaps you can read the future?

:wink:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:07 am

Wisse wrote:
Teya wrote:

why not? it looks cool i love rpg's and if it would become a risk rpg it would be great

i think everyone may try, i didn't know what i was doing when i begin my china map and look how my first map is looking? (i guess the second one will become better but that doesn't mind)

its because it is possible in the future i think (who nows we get something like flash but works with html/xml or css?)

thanks for the support wisse. that's exactly what i think. it's always good to have many alternatives. and we never know what surprises the future will bring :roll:
Major DiM

Postby dominationnation on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:10 am

DiM wrote:
Wisse wrote:
Teya wrote:

thanks for the support wisse. that's exactly what i think. it's always good to have many alternatives. and we never know what surprises the future will bring :roll:

I agree completely. If you dont like a new option that is being put on CC than dont use it. No one says that you must play every single setting on every single map.
Cook dominationnation

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:56 am

here's the quarry where the prisoners work. still unfinished as i need to add some gates around it and some guards. plus the connecting road.

Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:14 am

at least your having fun DiM
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby dominationnation on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:16 am

DiM wrote:here's the quarry where the prisoners work. still unfinished as i need to add some gates around it and some guards. plus the connecting road.

Mabey I missing something. How woul this be any different than a regualr map save the graphics. I havnt seen anything saying that all maps must appear 2D.
Cook dominationnation

Postby JupitersKing on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:03 pm

Wisse wrote:i totaly agree (exept the part under JK but thats because i am most looking forward to play my china map)

The China map looks good to, Wisse, my only point is that the Age of Merchants map is the first truley "ORIGINAL" idea to come along... except maybe the Circus Maximus and Crossword maps, but they are to restricted/flawed to be considered good maps.

And on top of that the AoM map needed only a small XML tweak to be done... which is already opening up map making options with it's simple bonus logic...

gimil wrote:i dont see why muy comments in there : \. i appreciate DiMs imagination and have alot of respect for him because of that

Then I retract the statement, sir. But at the time it seemed you where knocking Dim and not the idea, which I can't stand.

I think there's way too much "I hate this idea, but I'm not going to help make it better because it would be a waste of my time to do so" in the Foundry, and at the time that seemed to be the jist of what you where saying.

Wisse wrote:there are never enough maps ;)

Amen, brother, amen.

I would like to say, as someone with a slower computer that the problem with a 3d map as I see it is that I would never be able to play it. Or at the least I could play it but not benifit from all the features, which in a way is worse. I think 3d would be too big (as far as computing power goes) to preform well on everybodies computer. A problem we don't really have now with static maps and one that would have to be overcome before we could proceed.

JK
"Oh Shit!" George Armstrong Custer, 25 June 1876.

7th Cav Productions
Cadet JupitersKing

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:04 pm

DiM. I understand where you are coming from. I do like the idea of making more in depth maps. Thinking outside the box and developing new and different ways to play this game. I just don't think that this new 3D setup you are talking about twill work with the setup that lackattack currently has or wants.

I recommend that you bring this up with him first. There is no reason to use your time to build these maps if they will never be used (unless you just want to learn).

I guess what i am saying is that everyone should just be quite until lack says yes or no.

Teya wrote:As for the 3D map thing, firstly my opinion is maybe the 3D stuff should be left to the likes of Widowmakers and Mibi. The guys that know exactly what they are doing.
And this makes no sense Teya. Just because I did the first 3D style map does not mean I am the only one who can. If what I did can help future development of the site, then great. But don't make me out to be the only person capable of making 3D maps.
Major WidowMakers

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:49 pm

gimil wrote:at least your having fun DiM

indeed i am. i even have chuck norris hidden on this map. it's an easter egg. :lol:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:50 pm

dominationnation wrote:
Mabey I missing something. How woul this be any different than a regualr map save the graphics. I havnt seen anything saying that all maps must appear 2D.

except for the graphics the map will have a different gameplay. i'll post later the whole idea.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:52 pm

JupitersKing wrote:
I would like to say, as someone with a slower computer that the problem with a 3d map as I see it is that I would never be able to play it. Or at the least I could play it but not benifit from all the features, which in a way is worse. I think 3d would be too big (as far as computing power goes) to preform well on everybodies computer. A problem we don't really have now with static maps and one that would have to be overcome before we could proceed.

JK

yes i have thought about this but as all of you can see the 3d is very crude. nothing fancy. there are infact very few polygons to render. on my pc it moves perfectly. but i don't know what to say. :?
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:58 pm

WidowMakers wrote:DiM. I understand where you are coming from. I do like the idea of making more in depth maps. Thinking outside the box and developing new and different ways to play this game. I just don't think that this new 3D setup you are talking about twill work with the setup that lackattack currently has or wants.

I recommend that you bring this up with him first. There is no reason to use your time to build these maps if they will never be used (unless you just want to learn).

I guess what i am saying is that everyone should just be quite until lack says yes or no.

i'm learning and having fun with this map so even if it will never be accepted it won't be a waste of my time. i understand that lack is in vacation now and i was really anxious to present this and get the community feedback. if lack doesn't like it or if he likes it but he can't implement it i won't mind. i'll forget about 3d maps and continue with this map in a 2d style. or perhaps i'll come up with a whole new idea.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:16 pm

ok so here is the gameplay i want to introduce.

Life in Prison.. money and respect.

as you can see from the title i introduce 2 new aspects. the money and the respect.

there will be 6 convicts in this prison. everything else is neutral.
here's a convict:

each convict will have to become the kingpin of the prison by any means necessary. there won't be army bonuses but respect and money. how will these work?

well let's say your starting point is in cell block C you have no respect and no money. and you're just a common crook. kill your cell mate and you already have a name in cell block C. kill another one and the whole block respects you. now you have a respect bonus. but out in the yard you're still not a big shot. there are more guards here, other convict clans and killing 2 guys isn't worth a rusty dime. but supply some weed to a few guys and use the money to bribe some guards and a whole new world opens up in front of you. all you need to do is kill some more, bribe guards and get into restricted places. soon enough you'll have the wealth and reputation you deserve. forget about the common crook, take a bow in front of the kingpin. the guy that even guards treat with respect, the guy that tells the warden what to do. do in conclusion, controlling various areas gives you respect. controlling various people that smuggle guns or sell drugs gives you money. once you have the required amount of money and respect you can access various areas of the map. areas not available to a simple convict.

at the moment not everything i said is possible for the simple fact some xml features aren't introduced but i suggested them and now i'm waiting for lack to say something.

so waht do you think? am i being crazy again or am i onto something good here?
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:25 pm

DiM teh ideas excellent and your really pushnig the boundries, but i think you might be over doing it this time. What your coing up with seems liek a whole new game idea rather than risk. personally i think you should copyright this idea and sell it to someone ;)
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:29 pm

gimil wrote:DiM teh ideas excellent and your really pushnig the boundries, but i think you might be over doing it this time. What your coing up with seems liek a whole new game idea rather than risk. personally i think you should copyright this idea and sell it to someone ;)

i'm offering it for free to lack :lol:
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:30 pm

never know maby he will make it into a new game :wink:
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:42 pm

if this isn't quenched soon the monkey gets it. :twisted:

Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:46 pm

:shock:
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby dominationnation on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:50 pm

Im guessing that monkey an respect are both army bonuses. If it isnt than it really isnt risk.
Cook dominationnation

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas