Conquer Club

London Underground [Concept]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

London Underground [Concept]

Postby plurple on Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:32 am

Map Name: London Underground
Mapmaker(s): Plurple
Number of Territories:
Description:
The London underground is the underground rail system for the city of London and has a pretty famous map that I think will make a perfect CC map similar to other rail maps.

Special Features:

What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:
I think the iconic nature of the London underground makes it worthy of being made. I also think it is a good thing to have new maps being made :D

Map Image:
show: Version1

show: concept
plurple is not purple 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
Major plurple
Chatter
Chatter

Re: London Underground [Concept]

Postby plurple on Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:34 am

Todo:
    - draw the map
    - determine the bonuses
    - add a key to the map
    - listen to feedback
    - make the xml
Major plurple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby TrafalgarLaw01 on Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:49 am

I'd alway love a London Underground map will alway remember when i had to go to Walthamstow Central when I lived there.
General TrafalgarLaw01

Postby LFAW on Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:11 pm

Shout out to Chesham and Amersham =D>
Colonel LFAW

Postby pranburi on Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:44 pm

I always thought this would be a natural for CC, I hope you can make it happen.
Lieutenant pranburi

Postby MattiWacklin on Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:23 pm

Would be fun to try this map. Certainly wouldn’t be over quickly..
Visit CC on Facebook and Twitter!
Private MattiWacklin

Postby plurple on Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:32 pm

MattiWacklin wrote:Would be fun to try this map. Certainly wouldn’t be over quickly..

I'm not planning to make it all 9 zones. more than likely to make it just the central 2, So I think it would be about 120 territories or so
Major plurple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby iancanton on Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:50 pm

we might run into copyright issues here, as london transport uses versions of the map for merchandising.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/suppliers-a ... -licensing

on the other hand, it appears that the ratp has a more liberal attitude to reproduction of the paris metro map.

https://www.ratp.fr/en/why-use-a-specif ... d-rer-maps

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby plurple on Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:02 am

iancanton wrote:we might run into copyright issues here, as london transport uses versions of the map for merchandising.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/suppliers-a ... -licensing

on the other hand, it appears that the ratp has a more liberal attitude to reproduction of the paris metro map.

https://www.ratp.fr/en/why-use-a-specif ... d-rer-maps

I have sent an email enquiring but I guess this idea is dead in the water :(
Major plurple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Minister X on Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:51 pm

I would hope not. If you start from scratch, alter dimensions, use different colors, don't include any elements that could be trademarked, it's hard to believe a map of public facilities (taxpayer financed in part?) could be copyrighted. If subways, why not highways or city streets? Half the CC maps might be illegal.

The map shown has stations lined up in nice straight lines. Unrealistic. This is a schematic, not an accurate map for longitude and latitude. Start with an actual map of the area, find all the stations, and map from there. It will look totally unlike the above. You'll lose nice straight lines. Use nice curves.
Major Minister X

Postby plurple on Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:40 am

Minister X wrote:I would hope not. If you start from scratch, alter dimensions, use different colors, don't include any elements that could be trademarked, it's hard to believe a map of public facilities (taxpayer financed in part?) could be copyrighted. If subways, why not highways or city streets? Half the CC maps might be illegal.

The map shown has stations lined up in nice straight lines. Unrealistic. This is a schematic, not an accurate map for longitude and latitude. Start with an actual map of the area, find all the stations, and map from there. It will look totally unlike the above. You'll lose nice straight lines. Use nice curves.

while I could do some/all of that the Geographically accurate version already exists and is a lot more messy than the nice laid out London underground is which is why I thought it would make a great and easy to produce map :)
Major plurple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Minister X on Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:48 pm

Yeah. I understand. Split the difference. Make it look just enough unlike a possibly-protected map to make that a non-issue but clear enough to be playable. Maybe less than 120 terts? That many would place it 240th out of 255 in tert count. The most popular games are smaller; often MUCH smaller. Consider mapping only Zone One. You'll have more room for some cool London graphics. And though Londoners will be upset, most of the rest of us are at best familiar only with the central part of the city. And then only bits of it. Make a map that 1) is a good play, and 2) teaches us about the geography of central London. In fact, as an alternative, consider a map of London without bothering with the underground, or use it as just one feature.

I just google image searched "tourist map london" and found https://mapcollection.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/london_centre_road_-_tourist_map.jpg among many others and boy, you could make a pretty cool map out of that unbelievably historic bit of geography.

How about a game entitled, "London: The Blitz" where the Luftwaffe is a few key terts off to the side that can bomb the whole city?
Major Minister X

Postby iancanton on Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:35 am

Minister X wrote:Make a map that 1) is a good play, and 2) teaches us about the geography of central London. In fact, as an alternative, consider a map of London without bothering with the underground, or use it as just one feature.

I just google image searched "tourist map london" and found https://mapcollection.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/london_centre_road_-_tourist_map.jpg among many others and boy, you could make a pretty cool map out of that unbelievably historic bit of geography.

this sounds as if it has potential.

[moved] to map ideas for the time being, till we have a suitable map image for discussion.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas