Conquer Club

Tiles

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Tiles

Postby Minister X on Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:31 pm

Map Name: Tiles
Mapmaker(s): me
Number of Territories: lots (I haven't counted and it will depend on final configuration
Special Features: none
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: Simple, a bit different.

Map Image:

I toyed with my first version of this map 12 years ago! Now I've toyed some more (since CC seems interested in new maps) and present it.

In my files the basic black grid is uninterrupted -- I've (imperfectly, roughly) erased some lines to create the larger beige terts, thus allowing some strategic planning and movement. These elongated or multi-space terts can be configured however we want, more of them, fewer, larger, whatever. (Probably should be some more!) Once finalized I'd make the erasures more precise.

As you can see, there's no problem clearly "naming" each tert and allowing room for troop numbers. (Multi's would be named by their upper left square.)

Beta testing should make deciding on the bonus amounts fairly easy. I leave it to those more attuned to this sort of thing than I to designate starting values. Using four and seven as the requirements for bonus is my first suggestion - easy to adjust.

This image is 705x903 pixels. It should be easy to resize as needed and can be reduced in size by about 20% without problem. (I forget the various map size rules and am too lazy to look them up.) Give me vertical or horizontal specs and I'll resize in nothing flat.

I presume that "Scrabble" is a protected name (owned by both Hasbro and Mattel) but the general image of the board is all over, as a google image search reveals. It's iconic. All sorts of knock-offs are offered by graphics sites. So I presume CC would have no problem. But if there's concern, simply re-arranging the colored terts into a non-Scrabble pattern should eliminate all worries. "Tiles" seems a decent name for this if we can't use "Scrabble" but I'm open to suggestions.

I haven't tested for color-blindness. If we get there, changing the colors is no big deal.

I'm very proud of the impassable tiles. Pretty cool, huh? But otherwise there's zero graphical fanciness. All sorts of shadowing or other effects could be used but unless it's demanded by enough CCer's I'd resist trying to fancy-up this map. It would serve no purpose and just make things harder to read. Also, it's likely to make reduction in size more difficult.

Any interest?

P.S. -- though one of my old maps (New York City 1695) has been revived and is now in Beta, I've not proposed a new one like this for many, many years. I've done so in this case because the simplicity of this map makes interminable nit-picking unlikely. This map has a chance (?) of fairly rapid deployment. ;)
Major Minister X

Re: Tiles

Postby plurple on Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:34 pm

there are 15*15 = 225 - 51 impassable or merged tiles for a total of 174 territories in the example map :)

feel like the bonuses should be different depending on the colour of tile as blue are much easier to hold and there are only 8 red ones etc.
plurple is not purple 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
Major plurple
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Tiles

Postby Minister X on Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:03 pm

You're right. Separate bonuses by color. Normal methods of bonus computing won't work. Make some guesses, plurple and I'll alter the map. Make any and all suggestions you think might be useful.
Major Minister X

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas