Conquer Club

Wild West

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Wild West

Postby Minister X on Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:28 am

Map Name: Wild West
Mapmaker(s): Me and whoever
Number of Territories: TBD
Special Features: TBD
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: As the "mean streets" concept of the NYC 1695 map seems somewhat popular, I was wondering: what other famous sort of historical places had notoriously mean streets? Answer: the Wild West. So I found an AP photo of the Alec Baldwin set and messed with it. Nice, but of course we can't use it. I'm merely demonstrating what a map might look like. There's plenty of usable images that can be pieced together to create a scene like this. If the weird rules of NYC 1695 catch on, it may be worth considering a follow-up like this, perhaps with fewer terts.

I've named some places just for fun and shown how streets can be identified.

We have no Cowboys and Indians map, no map of a place like Deadwood (love the series). I've toyed with both themes. Instead of an imaginary western town such as I've mapped above, the map could be quasi-historical of Deadwood or Tombstone or Dodge City. And here's an idea: from Durango St. you can bombard (not directly attack) its continuation toward the northeast (not labeled on the map above) and vice-versa, like a shootout. Ditto that NW-to-SE street, divided by Durango.

In any case, size and rules and everything else can be worked out if NYC 1695 seems popular (about 450 games played so far) and if a spinoff is wanted. I'm just planting the seed of an idea.

Map Image:

Note: mapping this sort of perspective view will be difficult. What connects to what is the problem. The answer may be an inset that shows a simplified schematic (along with bonuses). In any case, to get a "look" like the above will be a challenge but it's the proper way to map something like this, I think. The only other CC map that employs a 3-D perspective like this is King Of The Mountains, and that's simple abstract shapes (with nice shadowing). I think a quasi-realistic 3-D map of this nature might attract players simply because it's so unusual.

Do not ask what goes on in Madame LaRouché's place. :shock:
Major Minister X

Re: Wild West

Postby Votanic on Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:10 pm

Sounds cool... but why just have Wild West when you can have Weird West!
Throw in some vampire-medicine man, snake-people, cannibalistic-manitou, zombie-stagecoach, ghostriders-in-the-sky stuff for added pizazz.
Captain Votanic

Postby Minister X on Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:57 pm

Sure! Send me those comics so I can copy/steal/borrow/imitate some of the graphics. ;-)
Major Minister X

Postby Votanic on Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:25 am

Minister X wrote:Sure! Send me those comics so I can copy/steal/borrow/imitate some of the graphics. ;-)

I have nothing to send beyond random found pics off the internets... but isn't that enough?
Maybe get AI to make the imagery faster.... and if the the prairie-dog wring-wraiths (or whatever) have a few extra fingers on their paws, who cares?
That will just make it all the creepier.
Captain Votanic

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas