Conquer Club

Classic Video Games - Idea

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Classic Video Games - Idea

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:17 pm

I am a huge fan and collector of classic video games. I love the Conquer*Man map idea and was wondering if there were any other video games anyone thought might make a good map. I do have a few in mind as I write this, especially because these video games were already turned into board game versions.

- Pitfall
- Donkey Kong
- Donkey Kong Jr
- Zaxxon
- Space Invaders
- Centepede
- Defender
- Tetris
Cook dolomite13

Re: Classic Video Games - Idea

Postby Balsiefen on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:12 pm

sadly, copyright would make this a virtual impossibility
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:41 pm

Actually it isn't copyright laws that make it impossible to do a complete copy it is Intellectual Property laws. However Conquer*Club is just Risk with a new skin and so far Hasbro hasn't gotten rid of them. And the Conquer Man map is different enough from Pac Man that it can be considered its own work. As for the ones listed above I believe that changing names and gameplay to match Conquer Club would allow us to use the idea and not infringe upon their claims to Intellectual Property.
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby 9mm on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:40 am

The great thing about the Pac-man map is that it is instantly identifiable as Pac-man... without putting anything else up there.

I have been thinking about your thought, and I can't think of any other game that has an identifiable 'map' ie. why we want to play it.

Dont forget;

Commando
Dig Dug
Pengo
Robatron 2084
Asteroids
... and a few other classics... still with no map...
Private 9mm

Postby reggie_mac on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:11 am

So we will have to change enough stuff to make sure its not going to be in breach of copyright, but we want to keep it simple enough that people just 'know' well, those of us old enough to remember #-o

So this is just to flesh the idea out, the end version would be set in an old school arcade console, with the control stick, and i'd use a 6 button setup, 1 and 2 players (ie street fighter 2), so then it just can't be space invaders 'cause spaceys only had 2 buttons.
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Postby timmytuttut88 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:52 pm

reggie_mac wrote:Image

So we will have to change enough stuff to make sure its not going to be in breach of copyright, but we want to keep it simple enough that people just 'know' well, those of us old enough to remember #-o

So this is just to flesh the idea out, the end version would be set in an old school arcade console, with the control stick, and i'd use a 6 button setup, 1 and 2 players (ie street fighter 2), so then it just can't be space invaders 'cause spaceys only had 2 buttons.

I love it.
Captain timmytuttut88

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas