Conquer Club

Darts

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Darts >> GAMEPLAY DISCUSSION

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:31 pm

It would be easier if attacks weren't able to go diagonally.

How about for a gameplay quirk, you could have it so that you can only attack other territories in the same number, or with the same value... thus all the 1s could attack each other (double, triple, inner, outer), double-1 could attack inner/outer 2; triple-1 could attack inner/outer 3 etc...

That's probably a bit too complicated though, to be honest.

Perhaps it would be easier if the Inner/Outer bits only bordered the double/treble/outer bull; with the doubles/trebles bordering their neighbours.

It would be interesting to have a win objective of having a score of 501 (or 301 if it's too hard)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Lets Play Darts!!!!

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:37 pm

MrBenn wrote:It would be easier if attacks weren't able to go diagonally.

How about for a gameplay quirk, you could have it so that you can only attack other territories in the same number, or with the same value... thus all the 1s could attack each other (double, triple, inner, outer), double-1 could attack inner/outer 2; triple-1 could attack inner/outer 3 etc...

Perhaps it would be easier if the Inner/Outer bits only bordered the double/treble/outer bull; with the doubles/trebles bordering their neighbours.

It would be interesting to have a win objective of having a score of 501 (or 301 if it's too hard)

RedBaron0 wrote:If it's code-able, this could be an interesting objective map. Each area has a certain point value, if you can gain the appropriate value AND say hold the bull you would win. I think it would fit very well into the dart board theme since usually you are trying to get to a certain point value(501 or 300) playing darts. Each lane has a point value equal to the lane number value x 7(1=7; 2=14; 3=21, etc.) giving a total board value of 1470 points. Of course the backfire is gonna be there is tons of different combinations that make, for example, 501. Unless there is a way to code adding up territory values to equal a victory condition, its kinda a mote point. T'would be interesting though...

It'd be really interesting to see play if someone was OVER the point victory condition. :-k :mrgreen:

Benn, is something like this codeable in the current XML?
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Re: Darts >> Updated Gameplay and Map

Postby Silent Killer on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:37 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:Good looking start!
Graphical:
The board is beautiful, couple things though: the checker border overlaps the dart board on the bottom and on the left side.........

Gameplay:
Explain the movement to me a little bit. The way I interpret it is that , first you can attack......

Oh, would the entire inner ring be able to attack the Outer Bull?

Ok.. Ill address each point from each post individually I s'pose..

Graphics >>
1. Checker Border >> I agree, its horrid looking. I rushed it onto the map just so I could get it posted, but this is a definite change. A wooden-look border may do the trick, but it'll be the last thing I do, hopefully!
2. I actually had the board centered originally and moved it too far down and left, Ill correct this in the next update
3. Part of my plan was to always add errant darts to the map, I just never got around to doing that bit yet, but they shall appear at a later stage.
4. Darts >> Most dart boards Ive ever come across had this image on either side... but if its hindering the numbers, which I agree they do, then Ill try moving them or removing them altogether.
5. Bonus Stars >> Agreed, they look ugly, it was another case of placing indicators in their respective beds, this is also a definite change. Maybe a glow inside each bed of the bonus' colours perhaps??

Gameplay >>
1. I had a good read through on the link Sully provided on his attempt at creating a dart board, and it became clear very quickly that diagonal would limit the gameplay, as of from now, it will not be diagonal movement.
However, Ive not come up with a solution as to how to counter the 4-way corners yet...
This, from a gameplay pov is the biggest stumbling block imo, and will need some serious thought.
2. Re: the bull being able to attack every other terit...
I havent thought about this yet, initially I planned on having this board objective based...
Starting the game would see the outer bull with 25 neutral, and the inner bull with 50 neutral...
Maybe having the inner bull, once captured, being able to attack every other terit is a good idea, like in the Arms Race map, where once the missile is taken, it can attack all other teris..
This is a good idea me thinks...

Tnx for the feedback and suggestions Red
SK
Corporal 1st Class Silent Killer

Postby Silent Killer on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:04 pm

MrBenn wrote:How about for a gameplay quirk, you could have it so that you can only attack other territories in the same number, or with the same value... thus all the 1s could attack each other (double, triple, inner, outer), double-1 could attack inner/outer 2; triple-1 could attack inner/outer 3 etc...

1. Gameplay Quirk >>
I love it!!!
This is exactly the sort of "out of the box" thinking I was looking for, and it instantly cuts out the problem of the 4-way corners....
If this is possible, it would be perfect!!
Also, I think for the sake of the game not being too linear, and again, if this is doable, then players should also be allowed to attack in this way, and in reverse...

2-way attacks, instead of just 1-way...
Maybe this was part of your idea originally Benn?

Anyways, I like it... alot!!
Perfect solution.

2. Only trebles and Doubles border other continents >>
If the idea above doesn't work, then this is a valid solution, it wouldn't make a continent as hard to hold, and it reduces its borders.
This method also cuts out the 4-way corner issue.

Tnx for the feedback & suggestions Benn

I have an additonal idea..... :lol:

How does everyone feel about Doubles and/or Trebles starting with neutrals, as well as the inner and outer bulls???

These are the numbers behind my thinking...
At the start of a game, in 2, 4, 5 & 8 player games, there would be 40 terits occupied by players, *none bordering each other.*
(*Based on utilising one of the above methods suggested by Mr. Benn)

The other 42 terits would be occupied with neutrals....
For example, Doubles at +2 neutral, and trebles at +3 neutral.
The Outer bull at +25 neutral and the Inner bull at +50 neutral.

Basically, it would cut straight away, the chance of one or more players picking up a bonus fresh out of the blocks.

SK

Postby john9blue on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:52 pm

viewtopic.php?f=242&t=38695&p=1001234&hilit=dartboard#p1001234

I had a dartboard thread too back in the day. Good luck on your version. ;)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Silent Killer on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:57 pm

john9blue wrote:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=242&t=38695&p=1001234&hilit=dartboard#p1001234

I had a dartboard thread too back in the day. Good luck on your version. ;)

Exactly how many times has this been attemped????
:lol:

One things for sure, unless the public dont want this map to go ahead, I will complete it!!!
:D

Postby mattosaurus on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:44 pm

OK, I really like this map idea, and the graphics are just great, (excusing the starts of course).
A couple of suggestions:
I don't think this map will need army circles. The territories are well defined enough and army circles in most cases would screw up the graphics, looking just as out of place as the stars.

Second: I would use direct on images of high class darts (not those cheap plastic ones) as the markers, and make them different colors. They wouldn't take up that much room, and you wouldn't have to add extraneous darts to the outside of the board.
Check out my map in the making: Testosterone VS Estrogen
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=241&t=85196
Sergeant 1st Class mattosaurus

Postby Silent Killer on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:56 am

mattosaurus wrote:OK, I really like this map idea, and the graphics are just great, (excusing the starts of course).
A couple of suggestions:
I don't think this map will need army circles. The territories are well defined enough and army circles in most cases would screw up the graphics, looking just as out of place as the stars.

Second: I would use direct on images of high class darts (not those cheap plastic ones) as the markers, and make them different colors. They wouldn't take up that much room, and you wouldn't have to add extraneous darts to the outside of the board.

1. Army Circles >>
Im not so sure yet, Ill need to test the colours against the red and green terits particularly.
They may clash...
But if they're not needed, it would be better to save on potential clutter on the smaller map.

2. Using Darts as bonus markers >>
I want the board to be realistic, and anything around/on it will have to have realistic dimensions.
I couldn't use Darts as markers simply because they would be too big if placed on the board, they would hinder other terits and such...

Tnx for the feedback
SK

Postby mattosaurus on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:39 am

Well, maybe you could change the color of the wire around the territory instead of having a symbol. It may look tacky, but maybe it'll look good if done well. I'd recommend shifting the color, as opposed to drawing in the color, that way it still looks like the wire.
Check out my map in the making: Testosterone VS Estrogen
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=241&t=85196
Sergeant 1st Class mattosaurus

Postby Silent Killer on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:58 am

mattosaurus wrote:Well, maybe you could change the color of the wire around the territory instead of having a symbol. It may look tacky, but maybe it'll look good if done well. I'd recommend shifting the color, as opposed to drawing in the color, that way it still looks like the wire.

Colouring the wire is one option Im toying with, as well as another method of placing inner glows inside each bed.
Either one or both will be in the next update.

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:49 pm

Personally I think the 'out shot' idea overcomplicates things - particularly if you're going to have to colour-code the segments etc.

For the gameplay, the things you need to think about are tentative bonuses for regions, and how things are going to connect.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Tupence on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm in agreement with Mr B...I think the normal territory bonuses will be plenty on this map as it's already unique enough in itself due to the layout
Important Tournament Notice

The data for ALL of my tournaments has potentially been lost. I am working to recover it but as I am away on business all of this week, there will be some delay. Sincere apologies.
Private Tupence

Postby MichelSableheart on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:35 pm

Personally, I believe you should try to keep things relatively simple.

Mr. B's idea of territories with the same value being able to attack each other may sound nice, but it seems to me it will be extremely difficult when playing to figure out what can attack what. The "only cross to other numbers on doubles and trebles" idea seems a lot better.

I am not so sure if it's a good idea to make each number it's own continent. 20 continents is a lot, and each of them is relatively easy to acquire, with only one opponents starting there. It seems to me that people will just be building in the beginning, without reason to fight each other, possibly leading to stalemates later in the game, especially in no spoils or flat rate. It may be better to reduce the number of continents somewhat, possibly by combining numbers into continents (1-2. 3-4 etc, or 1-11, 2-12 etc)

There must be something very special about the bullseye. The outer bull can attack each of the continents, making it strategically extremely important, but the bullseye has no strategical relevance on it's own, as it only borders outer bull. It seems to me you should either make it an objective, or you should make it able to attack/bombard all other territories.
Brigadier MichelSableheart

Postby Silent Killer on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:18 pm

MichelSableheart wrote:Personally, I believe you should try to keep things relatively simple.

Mr. B's idea of territories with the same value being able to attack each other may sound nice, but it seems to me it will be extremely difficult when playing to figure out what can attack what. The "only cross to other numbers on doubles and trebles" idea seems a lot better.

I am not so sure if it's a good idea to make each number it's own continent. 20 continents is a lot, and each of them is relatively easy to acquire, with only one opponents starting there. It seems to me that people will just be building in the beginning, without reason to fight each other, possibly leading to stalemates later in the game, especially in no spoils or flat rate. It may be better to reduce the number of continents somewhat, possibly by combining numbers into continents (1-2. 3-4 etc, or 1-11, 2-12 etc)

There must be something very special about the bullseye. The outer bull can attack each of the continents, making it strategically extremely important, but the bullseye has no strategical relevance on it's own, as it only borders outer bull. It seems to me you should either make it an objective, or you should make it able to attack/bombard all other territories.

I like the idea of doubles and trebles being the only terits able to attack each other, but as you say, a stalemate could ensue in differing types of games.

20 continents may be alot.
But maybe a bonus can be acheived for holding any 4 numbers on the board?
Perhaps a +5 bonus...?

I think it may be better this way.

Regarding the Bullseye issue, I'd love it if we could introduce something not currently used in any of the other games... With such a big board it would be great for a unique gameplay hook.
Im not familiar with coding whatsoever, so Im already out of ideas as to what we can achieve.
Some feedback from guys in the know would be great as to how we can create a unique piece of gameplay here

Thank you for your feedback Michel
SK

Postby MichelSableheart on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:43 am

I must admit I'm not very familiar with what has been done and what can be done. I would imagine that most obvious idea's would already be implemented on a map somewhere. Getting something completely unique will be difficult, I would imagine. Nevertheless, how do you like the following?

Armies on the bullseye defend all of your territories. Whenever one of your territories is attacked, the armies on the bullseye are effectively located in the territory under attack. You can go two ways with this. Either it means that the bullseye referts to neutral before any other territory of yours can be captured (seems interesting if the bullseye is an objective), or 1 army will always remain behind on the bullseye (the bullseye will be much easier to hold, and should probably not be an objective, but will be very important strategically).

Postby sully800 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Gameplay idea:

• Each wedge is a continent, but gives a bonus of only 1.
  • Wedges do not connect to each other. The only way to travel to another numbered wedge is through the outer bull.
  • Outer bull resets to a single neutral each turn. This ensures that no one can hold a single territory to block a bunch of continents.
  • Holding the inner bull could be the objective - everyone would be very close to it and able to attack it, especially since the outer bull resets to a single.
Major sully800

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:10 pm

MichelSableheart wrote:...Armies on the bullseye defend all of your territories. Whenever one of your territories is attacked, the armies on the bullseye are effectively located in the territory under attack...

It isn't possible to do with the current xml.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Silent Killer on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:31 pm

sully800 wrote:Gameplay idea:

• Wedges do not connect to each other. The only way to travel to another numbered wedge is through the outer bull.
  • Outer bull resets to a single neutral each turn. This ensures that no one can hold a single territory to block a bunch of continents.
  • Holding the inner bull could be the objective - everyone would be very close to it and able to attack it, especially since the outer bull resets to a single.

Could be onto something with this....
Especially with each continent offering only 1 bonus..

However, it does make the game very restrictive, movement-wise...

Postby neanderpaul14 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Silent Killer wrote:

Could be onto something with this....
Especially with each continent offering only 1 bonus..

However, it does make the game very restrictive, movement-wise...

I like it however I agree with SK, perhaps to make it less restrictive the outer ring, I believe it's the double area, could attack the adjacent doubles.
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby MichelSableheart on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:12 am

Ok, appearantly the XML is a lot more restrictive then I thought.

Personally, I like the idea of each number being worth a +1 bonus.

If you don't want the bullseye to be the objective, you could also say that the bullseye doubles your income from bonusses. In other words, if you hold a wedge, you'll get +1; if you hold a wedge+bullseye, you'll get +2.

That should be possible. For each number, make a continent of that number+bullseye, which overrides the original continent.

Movement between wedges only being possible through the bull also seems like a logical idea to me. Should you choose to implement that, you could also connect all doubles to the bullseye instead of to their neighbours. Perhaps you should do that anyway, simply to make the two of them equally relevant.

Postby skillfusniper33 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:41 pm

I like the idea a lot, and looking at this, what if the bulls eye could possibly bombard like the doubles ring, and the bulls eye would start out neutral.
Place: 267 Score: 2630
Major skillfusniper33

Postby Silent Killer on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:23 am

Tnx for the idea's guys, keep 'em coming.

Ill take a good look at each one and give feedback on my thoughts.

I'd really like to move to the next phase on this, so Im hoping we can come to an arrangement regarding gameplay soonish.

Tnx
SK

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Hey SilentKiller ;)
Nice work...absolutely the right way =D>
A question:
All regions are in the starting pot or there're some starting neutrals?

Postby captainwalrus on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:03 am

the bull's eye should start nutural.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Reading your first post, i think you want to code the bull and the bull's eye as starting neutral...it's good. ;)

:-k i think: pink +3 instead of +4 and maybe the blue +4 instead of +5 (but it could be different with a big neutral)

• Each wedge is a continent, but gives a bonus of only 1....

Agree. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas