Conquer Club

POKE's Conquer Map (version Alpha.2.3 - page 4)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: POKE's Conquer Map (version Alpha.2! - page 3)

Postby iceco on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:28 am

captainwalrus wrote:Also, you don't need to work on the small map for a little bit, work on the big one only for now, that way you only make updates once.

I have a 'master map' of 2520x2400, so the small map is 1/4th and the big one 1/3rd. That way both maps are quite sharp, though the smaller one always needs a fix of some text at the end (the big really has no flaws).
I'm not THAT stupid, you know.

darkangelsguy205 wrote:looks confusing

That's because I work with paths, instead of borders. It's really just another way of looking at it. All rules are quite straight forward, except for the amount of bonuses, which is meant to be, as it encourages you to sneak around on your toes and grab bonuses that others forgot to check (unless they have BOB or something like that).
There are a lot more confusing maps that are out to be played on, like all the metro maps (in my opinion).
Sergeant iceco

Postby iceco on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:53 pm

I looked at the spreadsheets to help you with bonuses, but they simply don't work for this map. I tried them and they give really hopelessly broken bonusses (the main continent only 1 troop more than the biggest subcontinent and only half of the individual bonusses - ridiculously many troops for small continents etc.)

Personally I'm a bit puzzled on where to go from here to get the draft stamp.
Apologies to whitestazn88 btw, I only recently found the post with all the stamps explained (it really shouldn't be in the No Maps section).

Anyway, I have my plans for alpha.3 here, though none of those really are at the "draft" level anymore:
  • New name for Jotoh
  • Alternative for consoles
  • There are 9 mountains instead of 8
  • There are 5 forests, instead of 4
  • Graphic fix of harbour territories
  • Bonus fixes: Consoles +5, Mid +2, + other suggestions from private forum
  • Make blue continent markings more visible

What I ask:
  • What alternative can I use for the consoles? It needs to suggest some kind of "link" between them though, as they can attack each other. Communication towers? Though that is a long shot from the original pokemon locations.
  • Where do the bonusses need improvement?
  • What are the things that keep it in draft stage? And how can I fix it. (Don't say copyright, as if that issue isn't solved now, it never will be and you might as well move it to the dead projects forum.)
Sergeant iceco

Postby captainwalrus on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:07 pm

What you should do for bonuses, is use a calculator for the smaller regions within the big bonus then just not use overides so that you get all the small section's bonus and a small bonus for everything.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby iceco on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:04 am

captainwalrus wrote:What you should do for bonuses, is use a calculator for the smaller regions within the big bonus then just not use overides so that you get all the small section's bonus and a small bonus for everything.

Ok, I'll do it like that. But I noticed that all bonusses from this sheet are about 1/3 higher than what I did.
This is because I had an issue with how disproportionate the world 2.1 map is (if yo want to break through a stack, you'll always have enough troops to deploy). But I didn't like how you would only get 1 troop per 4 on Conquerman, as it's harder when you are with more people on the map (I really found it a solution for smaller games).
So could it be possible to get all territories start with a higher offset? (let's say 4 or 5) And would this solve the problem? Or should I go back to the Conquerman solution? Or leave it?

Edit: the results of the spreadsheet (as you can see, a lot higher than mine)
Code: Select all
17+    Kantoh
8     Urban
7     Rural
2     Naval
15+    Jotoh
6     High
5     Plane
4     Low
10+    Shivoh
3     North
3     Mid
4     South
19+    Hekoh
6     Lower
6     Upper
7     Maritime
27+    Sunoh
6     West
4     SW
6     Inner
4     Outer
7     East
3   Central Range
8   Forrests
13  Mts
5   Ruins
6   Consoles
6   Parks
10  Islands
12  Habours
Sergeant iceco

Postby captainwalrus on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:13 am

In my opinion your bonuses are a bit low, but this map is not really too big that you will need to offset the territory bonuses. There is nothing wrong with big bonuses on a big map.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Re: POKE's Conquer Map (version Alpha.2.3 - page 4)

Postby iceco on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:48 am

I updated to map to include most of the changes (apart from those which I don't know how to yet).
The small map is discontinued for a while, as cpt. suggested. If it is needed for anything, just give the word and I'll make it happen.

I used the bonuses the spreadsheet, so they are practically all new. See what you think of them. Personally I find the bonuses of the "miscellaneous" continents a bit too high, but I'd like some views from others.
Other things I adjusted are the adding of the "Tourney" continent, which I had forgotten. Corrections of the number of territories (like 9 Mts. instead of the 6 I announced etc.). Adding of troop circles for the harbours. Making the blue region markings more visible on the map.

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant iceco

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Hey, i just stumbled in here.

At first, I was like, AWESOME, POKEMON MAP!

Then I thought about copyright and all that.
My advice: Be very wary of where your legal advice comes from, most of the stuff on the internet is not accurate. Also, take it from someone in law school, huge corporations sue individuals over copyright all the time, including those who don't intend to make any money off of it.

Having said that, I think so far the map looks pretty cool, and I really love the "First Gen Console" pieces! Nice little touch there.

If you can find a way around the copyright bit, I will be following this closely. Good luck.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby iceco on Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:28 am

SuicidalSnowman wrote:Hey, i just stumbled in here.

At first, I was like, AWESOME, POKEMON MAP!

Then I thought about copyright and all that.
My advice: Be very wary of where your legal advice comes from, most of the stuff on the internet is not accurate. Also, take it from someone in law school, huge corporations sue individuals over copyright all the time, including those who don't intend to make any money off of it.

Having said that, I think so far the map looks pretty cool, and I really love the "First Gen Console" pieces! Nice little touch there.

If you can find a way around the copyright bit, I will be following this closely. Good luck.

Thanks for the warm support.

I am aware of the legality issues, but I'm quite confident my current precautions will be enough (though you can actually never really know). I think it is censored enough according to CC standards, but would like some word from a mod on that.
It seems to have the same degree of censorship as the Conquer Man map, so I assume it is ok.

Don't you think the consoles need a bit of reworking? (They also might give copyright issues, as their form is (R) or something, though I think that only covers their market of game consoles.)
Sergeant iceco

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:53 am

please, discontinue this. i don't know how the mods haven't told you to stop yet...
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:48 am

whitestazn88 wrote:please, discontinue this. i don't know how the mods haven't told you to stop yet...

Already talked with iceco about this (via PM)...i'm searching, i want to be sure but don't worry an "official" answer comes very soon ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:16 pm

After a careful research, it seems that nintendo and pokemon aren't so willing to allow other people to use ideas, materials, names or images in any way related to their creation.
If you want to avoid violating copyrights, the map should lose all possible direct/explicit link with Pokemon and/or Nintendo. Obviously the best choice is to obtain permission from their creators, although I think it will be very hard to do (read their policy).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally i think that the biggest problem is that ,without a permission, you have to develope a map about pokemon without using pokemons or reference to pokemons. It can be done but it doesn't make sense to me. :?

Postby iceco on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:38 am

You can move this to dead projects. I just can't see how I could possibly make this more un-Pokémon than it already is (apart from the consoles, that could have been solved).

My sincerest gratitude to those who helped and supported me.
Sergeant iceco

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:47 am

iceco wrote:You can move this to dead projects.

[Moved]

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas