Conquer Club

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [16.01.14] V45 Fixes

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [20.8.13] V40 BETA

Postby Gilligan on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:42 pm

I don't think that it's an XML issue with that elimination. I think that losing conditions are settled during attack phases, and it probably just isn't being read. The losing conditions are working, however, cause I did it this morning.

He's probably still alive because the correct XML wasn't loaded when he should have lost by conditions.
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Gilligan wrote:I don't think that it's an XML issue with that elimination. I think that losing conditions are settled during attack phases, and it probably just isn't being read. The losing conditions are working, however, cause I did it this morning.

He's probably still alive because the correct XML wasn't loaded when he should have lost by conditions.

...but surely if the losing condition exists in the xml, shouldn't it recognise the condition in that game and auto eliminate him?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:54 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Gilligan wrote:I don't think that it's an XML issue with that elimination. I think that losing conditions are settled during attack phases, and it probably just isn't being read. The losing conditions are working, however, cause I did it this morning.

...but surely if the losing condition exists in the xml, shouldn't it recognise the condition in that game and auto eliminate him?

That would make sense, but I'm not sure how the engine reads the XML. It's possible that it only reads it at certain points. It might only check losing conditions when the player in question is being attacked.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Jippd on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Pink took his turn at 2:30 PM (CST) today. This was after the XML had been switched so you could not view every M from any S or B. I'm not sure if that was a separate upload than the losing condition XML fix or not.

If it is a losing condition the player should be eliminated right away. Think about middle ages if you hold no palaces you die right away. Or All Your Base....as soon as you no longer hold an alien or human you die right away.

Here is the current screen shot I took at the time of this post. You can see with bob that pink has 1 region and that region is visible on the map. I have blocked out non essential areas with boxes to hide information.

Click image to enlarge.
Major Jippd

Postby Gilligan on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Yeah, I get that, Jippd, but I feel like losing conditions are ONLY checked when the user in question is being attacked because the losing conditions are working elsewhere.
Captain Gilligan

Re: Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [20.8.13] V40 BETA

Postby Jippd on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:38 pm

Should I PM RDS asking what the case is in a situation like this? Or does anyone else know?

Does pink need to lose a territory for it to recognize he meets the losing condition? Or just lose at least one troop?
Major Jippd

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:13 am

Jippd wrote:Should I PM RDS asking what the case is in a situation like this? Or does anyone else know?

Does pink need to lose a territory for it to recognize he meets the losing condition? Or just lose at least one troop?

No, i Tael has taken care of the problem LMS pink is not in the game as Tael assulted him.
Onya. Tael.
Private cairnswk

Postby puppydog85 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:14 am

cairnswk wrote:
puppydog85 wrote:Just my 2 cents, but I think London LB should have an open top beacon. At the very least to let the game flow a little better, at best to help noobs not advance huge stacks to it. :-)

puppydog85, how do you mean "at best to help noobs not advance huge stacks to it"
the london beacon is the end of the line of 3 for that section bonus from Hastings.
are you saying the london beacon should be open top so that you don't get stuck with more than 1 troops on it and have opportunity to fort off it, as long as it is a one-way to London LB.
if that is the case, then it makes sense. :)

Yes, that is what I mean. The problem is that once you pass TFB Beacon you are stuck with no way to get your troops out. Now you may say that you have to just watch out for it, but in my opinion it would be nice to be able to fort off of London LB Beacon.

and the noob was me, I was merrily clearing out the beacons when I got my 20 stack to the end and realized there was nothing left to do with them. So they sat there until the end of the game.
Sergeant 1st Class puppydog85

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:03 pm

puppydog85 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
puppydog85 wrote:Just my 2 cents, but I think London LB should have an open top beacon. At the very least to let the game flow a little better, at best to help noobs not advance huge stacks to it. :-)

puppydog85, how do you mean "at best to help noobs not advance huge stacks to it"
the london beacon is the end of the line of 3 for that section bonus from Hastings.
are you saying the london beacon should be open top so that you don't get stuck with more than 1 troops on it and have opportunity to fort off it, as long as it is a one-way to London LB.
if that is the case, then it makes sense. :)

Yes, that is what I mean. The problem is that once you pass TFB Beacon you are stuck with no way to get your troops out. Now you may say that you have to just watch out for it, but in my opinion it would be nice to be able to fort off of London LB Beacon.

and the noob was me, I was merrily clearing out the beacons when I got my 20 stack to the end and realized there was nothing left to do with them. So they sat there until the end of the game.

OK, thanks for that suggestion.
i think it is a totally valild point, and yes it was not considered in development, so it will be done in the next update. :)
Good pick-up!
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Cairns, I must say, this map is growing on me. When I was checking the XML I thought I wouldn't like it because it's so damned crazy, but it's actually quite enjoyable. :mrgreen: =D>
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Gilligan wrote:Cairns, I must say, this map is growing on me. When I was checking the XML I thought I wouldn't like it because it's so damned crazy, but it's actually quite enjoyable. :mrgreen: =D>

Thank-you Gilligan. I hope everyone enjoys it. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [29.8.13] V41 BETA

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:25 pm

post deleted
Last edited by cairnswk on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:35 am

I've edited the XML to change the wording of the losing condition. The previous wording resulted in: "nolefan5311 no longer holds to hold a Non-Treasury Region and either a Bow (B) or Stern (S) of a Commander's Ship". See game Game 13101598. It sounded silly, so I've changed it. This is the only change from cairns' file above.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:23 am

Version 41 with V9 XML

...with London Beacon update.

Click image to enlarge.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... g~original
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... g~original

isaiah40, this is now ready for upload, after Nolefan's edit
Attachments
09Arm30AugV9.xml
(155.72 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:41 am

Gilligan wrote:Yeah, I get that, Jippd, but I feel like losing conditions are ONLY checked when the user in question is being attacked because the losing conditions are working elsewhere.

Gilligan, i get this impression also from one of our games.
The losing condition appeared not to work because ViperOverLord held T regions only.
But as soon as he was attacked by another player and lost one of his T regions
the engine seems to have recognised teh losing condition and VOL was eleiminated.
So my question going forward, does this need adjustment in the game engine. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:46 am

IMHO, I think this happened because the xml was updated AFTER he lost all of his non-treasury regions. So yes the game engine didn't "see: it until he was attacked. Just how I see it.

On a different note, I will get everything sent out later today.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:50 am

isaiah40 wrote:IMHO, I think this happened because the xml was updated AFTER he lost all of his non-treasury regions. So yes the game engine didn't "see: it until he was attacked. Just how I see it.

Thanks isaiah40, after it's updated, is it possible to open the map again?
Private cairnswk

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:51 am

cairnswk wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:IMHO, I think this happened because the xml was updated AFTER he lost all of his non-treasury regions. So yes the game engine didn't "see: it until he was attacked. Just how I see it.

Thanks isaiah40, after it's updated, is it possible to open the map again?

Yes I'll open the map again! :D
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [29.8.13] V41 BETA

Postby Jippd on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:27 pm

If a player does not hold a S or B region they should be eliminated right?
Major Jippd

Postby Aleena on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Ya I think they need to control at least 1/2 of one of those major command ships or else they have lost the game..
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:05 pm

Jippd wrote:If a player does not hold a S or B region they should be eliminated right?

Aleena wrote:Ya I think they need to control at least 1/2 of one of those major command ships or else they have lost the game..

Yes, they need to hold the "one-half" (S or B) of the command ship AND any non-Treasury region
...in order to stay in the game
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Jippd wrote:If a player does not hold a S or B region they should be eliminated right?

Likewise, if they hold ONLY S or B regions, they should also be eliminated.
Captain Gilligan

Postby iancanton on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:29 am

Gilligan wrote:if they hold ONLY S or B regions, they should also be eliminated.

this interpretation of the current xml is correct, but the legend says otherwise. the requirement in the legend is a non-treasury region and either a bow (B) or stern (S). if u hold a B and an S but nothing else, then u hold a both a B, which is a non-treasury region, and a stern (S), therefore u satisfy the requirement to stay alive as given in the legend. however, the losing condition in the current xml will eliminate u.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby cairnswk on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:34 pm

iancanton wrote:
Gilligan wrote:if they hold ONLY S or B regions, they should also be eliminated.

this interpretation of the current xml is correct, but the legend says otherwise. the requirement in the legend is a non-treasury region and either a bow (B) or stern (S). if u hold a B and an S but nothing else, then u hold a both a B, which is a non-treasury region, and a stern (S), therefore u satisfy the requirement to stay alive as given in the legend. however, the losing condition in the current xml will eliminate u.

well, no ian. in the legend under Command Ships, it specifically states that Command Ships are not part of the non-treasury region... :)
Last edited by cairnswk on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:35 pm

cairnswk wrote:
iancanton wrote:

well, no ian. in the legend under Command Ships, it specifically states that Cammond Ships are not part of the non-treasury region... :)

Yeah, I agree with the wording. The ships count as the bow OR the stern, that's all. Having a bow/stern is only half of the requirement to stay in the game.
Captain Gilligan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas