Conquer Club

Classic Cities Jakarta [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Classic Cities Jakarta [Quenched]

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:35 am

Image :D Image :D Image :D Image :D Image Image
Map Name:Classic Cities Jakarta
Mapmaker(s):koontz1973
Number of Territories:39 / 7 bonus regions.
Special Features:None.
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:We need to get the Classic cities done. ;)

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

xml.
Jakarta.xml
(13.79 KiB) Downloaded 1309 times

show: versions with 888s

show: game play notes

show: previous versions
Last edited by koontz1973 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:43 am, edited 52 times in total.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [23/10]V1,P1

Postby natty dread on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:32 am

You have at least one 4-way border there.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Flapcake on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:29 am

natty_dread wrote:You have at least one 4-way border there.

Oh dear good I still remember the slap in the face i got for making a 4 way border, hurry undo it b4 any one notes... ehhh to late i think :mrgreen:

but otherwise it looks very promising 8-)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:06 pm

There is actually 2 four way borders. Can anyone explain why they are bad? Not saying it cannot be changed, but why?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:19 pm

koontz1973 wrote:There is actually 2 four way borders. Can anyone explain why they are bad? Not saying it cannot be changed, but why?

in a 4-way border you can't tell who attacks who.

for example in your image does Makasar attack Ciracas?
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:23 pm

DiM wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:There is actually 2 four way borders. Can anyone explain why they are bad? Not saying it cannot be changed, but why?

in a 4-way border you can't tell who attacks who.

for example in your image does Makasar attack Ciracas?

Thanks DiM, it always sounded strange to me that you could not have it. Now that I have that explanation, I can get it changed.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Geger on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:07 am

Hi... this is very nice, a map from Indonesian's Capital. And I'm from Sumatra (if you don't know where Sumatra is, just take a look at world2.1-map) ;)

Firstly let me give some little corrections on the name of several regions :

In West Jakarta:
Cengareng>> Cengkareng

Note : this is the first place you'll see, if you come to Jakarta, because the Jakarta' International Airport is in Cengkareng.

In South Jakarta:
Lama >> Kebayoran Lama (Old Kebayoran)
Baru >> Kebayoran Baru (New Kebayoran)

I am more familiar with the main roads in Jakarta, while with the borders I'm not so sure. But maybe I can help provide some solutions to the 4-way border-problems.

1. Kemayoran - Cempaka Putih - Kelapa Gading - Pulo Gadung

Kemayoran does not border Pulo Gadung, because from Kemayoran to Pulo Gadung we must go through Cempaka Putih.

2. Setiabudi - Mampang - Tebet - Pancoran

Setiabudi does not border Pancoran, because from Setiabudi to Pancoran we must go trough Tebet.

3. Tebet - Pancoran - Jati Negara - Kramat Jati

Tebet does not border Kramat Jati, because from Tebet to Kramat Jati we must go trough Pancoran

4. Kramat Jati - Makasar - Cipayung - Ciracas

I'm not so familiar with these regions, but the answer we can find here : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... strict.png

Major Geger

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:21 am

Thanks for the look in and corrections. As for your map, that is the one I copied from. Am working on an update but am finding it hard for inspiration. The overall theme of the map is still alluding me. I had an idea when I started but when I came to draw it, it was totally c**p. Scrapped it and this is what was left. As soon as I can find an interesting idea, I can move on.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:30 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Thanks for the look in and corrections. As for your map, that is the one I copied from. Am working on an update but am finding it hard for inspiration. The overall theme of the map is still alluding me. I had an idea when I started but when I came to draw it, it was totally c**p. Scrapped it and this is what was left. As soon as I can find an interesting idea, I can move on.

Maybe peruse some travel websites. A quick search shows me that there are a number of 'landmark destinations' or 'places one must visit' in Jakarta. Maybe you could incorporate travel or tourism into the theme? I'm not sure.

Best of luck,

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks Andy, been looking at all kinds of sites to try and get some inspiration. Looked at the landmarks and was about to go down that route when I had another look at Tokyo and all of its landmarks. :(

Three things that did spring from looking and am working this in to the next update is the skyscrapers from the bottom of the image (been staring at them since day one) and the large ex pat communities in Jakarta. Lastly, is the waterways, these have been used for many things like ferry taxies.

The skyscrapers will become impassable s and sort out the 4 way borders.

The ex pat communities will be mini bonuses that overlap the larger ones.

Rivers are impassable s but will allow you to travel many territs in one go.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Flapcake on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:21 pm

Good idea with the skyscrabers, another impassable you could add in is some of the natural rivers ronning through the city: http://library.thinkquest.org/07aug/01307/images/jakarta-high.png

in my opinion I think that you should use district real names instead of south, north east, etc.http://pusakamitrajasa.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/peta_jakarta.gif
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Ok, I've been glancing at this map on and off now and I think it needs a little jazzing up, Tourism is one route to go... how are things coming on the impassables front? Also... four-way borders need to go.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Should have the next one up very soon. Half term so no bloody kids for a week. :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:09 am

Version 2.
Added
Lots. ;)
The ferry icon is only temporary.
Click image to enlarge.

To do list.
Fix the names that have been pointed out, but wanted to get this in.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [29/10]V2,P1

Postby natty dread on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:15 am

I only have some graphical input at this point...

Firstly, your font choices aren't very exciting. The title font is ok, although a bit clichƩ... and pixelated, you should fix that. The other fonts... well, they look really generic and boring. For territory fonts, try to find something that is both readable and looks nice. Something a bit thicker maybe. For the legend, you have more leeway as it's in bigger size... try looking for something modern, but not overly complex. If that makes sense...

The land outline looks nice, shape-wise, but it's got some pixelation that should be fixed. You could try converting it to a path and stroking it, or you could try drawing it freehand with the ink tool...

Then, the biggest turn-off on the map image: the background. It's just icky. Kinda like frozen slime or something. I suggest going for something simpler and smoother, and ditching that sickly green colour for something more eye-friendly. Try contrasting it with the playable area... you have mostly light pastel hues on the territories, so something dark and strong could work, like a dark yellow-brown or navy blue...

Also, ditch the pink glow on the coastline. If you want a glow there, try white or greenish-cyan, or maybe just black with soft light mode...

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:25 am

natty_dread wrote:I only have some graphical input at this point...

Firstly, your font choices aren't very exciting. The title font is ok, although a bit clichƩ... and pixelated, you should fix that. The other fonts... well, they look really generic and boring. For territory fonts, try to find something that is both readable and looks nice. Something a bit thicker maybe. For the legend, you have more leeway as it's in bigger size... try looking for something modern, but not overly complex. If that makes sense...

The land outline looks nice, shape-wise, but it's got some pixelation that should be fixed. You could try converting it to a path and stroking it, or you could try drawing it freehand with the ink tool...

Then, the biggest turn-off on the map image: the background. It's just icky. Kinda like frozen slime or something. I suggest going for something simpler and smoother, and ditching that sickly green colour for something more eye-friendly. Try contrasting it with the playable area... you have mostly light pastel hues on the territories, so something dark and strong could work, like a dark yellow-brown or navy blue...

Also, ditch the pink glow on the coastline. If you want a glow there, try white or greenish-cyan, or maybe just black with soft light mode...

All good points and will sort them out for next update.

As for the background being frozen slime :lol: it was a mistake, I was playing around trying to get a paper texture that I liked, pressed the wrong button and got that instead. Green was added off course.

The title may be clichƩd, but who does not like a good clichƩ now and again. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Geger on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:35 am

koontz1973 wrote:The skyscrapers will become impassable s and sort out the 4 way borders.

I don't think it's a good solution. The 1st Skyscrapers near Pancoran are okay, but the other two look strange, because these regions are "flat"
Major Geger

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:42 am

Geger wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:The skyscrapers will become impassable s and sort out the 4 way borders.

I don't think it's a good solution. The 1st Skyscrapers near Pancoran are okay, but the other two look strange, because these regions are "flat"

Geger, can you explain more as it has all been done the same way. So if one looks OK, then by default, they all should.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Geger on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:49 am

Sorry for my bad english :oops:

I meant, there are many skyscrapers near Pancoran (I can accept), but there are no skyscraper in the other two regions (near Durensawit and Cipayung)
Major Geger

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:51 am

Geger wrote:Sorry for my bad english :oops:

I meant, there are many skyscrapers near Pancoran (I can accept), but there are no skyscraper in the other two regions (near Durensawit and Cipayung)

No problem, will remove the skyscrapers from those other two areas and find a more suitable building for them.

As you are from this region of the world, I hope you keep coming back, giving me good suggestions.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Geger on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:53 am

koontz1973 wrote:
Geger wrote:Sorry for my bad english :oops:

No problem, will remove the skyscrapers from those other two areas and find a more suitable building for them.

As you are from this region of the world, I hope you keep coming back, giving me good suggestions.

Great. And I believe you will find better solutions ;)
Major Geger

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [29/10]V3,P2

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:20 am

Version 3.
Click image to enlarge.

This should solve the issues raised by natty and Geger.

Geger, with the names you wanted, changed the spelling on one, but do not have the room for two others. Which is why I used the shortened version with Lama and Baru.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:10 am

Latest one. :D
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:30 am

Ok... the background is a step in the right direction, but looks too blurry. Maybe try adding some sharp grunge to it.

The territory font... I'm sorry, it still doesn't work. Same with the bonus legend... wait, is that Corsiva Monotype? *shudder*

Here, let me find some good fonts for you.

Now, these are all clean, nice, evenly kerned sans serif fonts, that could be used for territory fonts...

http://www.dafont.com/alte-haas-grotesk.font
http://www.dafont.com/old-sans-black.font
http://www.dafont.com/sheep-sans.font

Here's a few bit more fancy that could be used for the legend...

http://www.dafont.com/excelsior-sans.font
http://www.dafont.com/mutanta.font

Maybe some of those will work.

Also, try lowering the opacity on the glow on the coast. Glows should be subtle... didn't we go over this on Rorke's drift? ;) (same with the legend text glow, it's too strong...)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:38 am

natty_dread wrote:Ok... the background is a step in the right direction, but looks too blurry. Maybe try adding some sharp grunge to it.

The territory font... I'm sorry, it still doesn't work. Same with the bonus legend... wait, is that Corsiva Monotype? *shudder*

Lucida Calligraphy Italic

Here, let me find some good fonts for you.

Now, these are all clean, nice, evenly kerned sans serif fonts, that could be used for territory fonts...

http://www.dafont.com/alte-haas-grotesk.font
http://www.dafont.com/old-sans-black.font
http://www.dafont.com/sheep-sans.font

Here's a few bit more fancy that could be used for the legend...

http://www.dafont.com/excelsior-sans.font
http://www.dafont.com/mutanta.font

Maybe some of those will work.

Thanks, will look at them.

Also, try lowering the opacity on the glow on the coast. Glows should be subtle... didn't we go over this on Rorke's drift? ;) (same with the legend text glow, it's too strong...)

We did and in the legend it does need to come down. The sea one was intentional but will lower it some but not a lot.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Next

Return to The Atlas