Conquer Club

Mitt Romney Scandals

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mitt Romney Scandals

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:59 am

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Oh hell, it WAS just another one of your Blaze things. I thought I was just being sarcastic.

The Blaze is a news and commentary site. If you think they're posting something false that I post on here, disprove it.

I didn't say "false". I said "no actual substance". Quite frankly, that is the reputation of The Blaze as it posits the conservative view with a severely-inflicted bias.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Night Strike on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:01 am

Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Oh hell, it WAS just another one of your Blaze things. I thought I was just being sarcastic.

The Blaze is a news and commentary site. If you think they're posting something false that I post on here, disprove it.

I didn't say "false". I said "no actual substance". Quite frankly, that is the reputation of The Blaze as it posits the conservative view with a severely-inflicted bias.

What's the problem with including a conservative view (keeping in mind that all the readers already recognize it's present) when the actual facts being discussed are still factual?

And I'd say a story about how regulations are directly costing a person trying to start a business would be an instance of "actual substance".
Major Night Strike

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:05 am

Night Strike wrote:And I'd say a story about how regulations are directly costing a person trying to start a business would be an instance of "actual substance".

If it weren't full of bullshit spin, it might. Unfortunately, it is. The Blaze is just a "news agency" created for you cheerleader types to fawn over.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Night Strike on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:44 am

Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:And I'd say a story about how regulations are directly costing a person trying to start a business would be an instance of "actual substance".

If it weren't full of bullshit spin, it might. Unfortunately, it is. The Blaze is just a "news agency" created for you cheerleader types to fawn over.

Then point to the BS and explain how it's BS.
Major Night Strike

Postby IcePack on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:55 am

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Nola_Lifer on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:14 am

Big Dig Govrn

Major Nola_Lifer

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:09 pm

This is the one that annoys me the most. Here's a related headline:

BARACK OBAMA'S GOVERNMENT PERMITS SLAVERY

For those that don't know, Mitt Romney's work at Bain Capital never resulted in jobs being sent overseas. That happened before and after he was there (and when he was there uncontrolled by him).

Here's another related headline:

BARACK OBAMA'S GOVERNMENT REGULATORY AND TAX POLICIES CAUSE JOBS TO BE MOVED OVERSEAS

See what I did there? Yeah, stop it Democrats. You're being ridiculous. Find something else. There are plenty of other things.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:23 pm

There are several businesses listed there.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:26 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:There are several businesses listed there.

There are several businesses who have moved their jobs overseas who also contribute to Democratic candidates and our current president.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:44 pm

Fair point, How Romney became mega-rich versus how Obama partially funded his campaign.

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Fair point, How Romney became mega-rich versus how Obama partially funded his campaign.

Do you buy things from US companies? Do you check to see whether those things were manufactured or otherwise produced in foreign jurisdictions?

I'm just checking to see if your outrage is limited to rich white guys running for president or if it extends to everyone who supports (whether directly or indirectly) moving jobs overseas.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:09 pm

I was saying that you had a fair point.

And I always buy American first, and I do check labels. Seems like every American company has it's headquarters in Pennsylvania nowadays, and OJ cost me $2 more, but whatever.

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:I was saying that you had a fair point.

And I always buy American first, and I do check labels. Seems like every American company has it's headquarters in Pennsylvania nowadays, and OJ cost me $2 more, but whatever.

I can't tell what you're saying sometimes.

I buy cheapest (for big things), but try to do American when it's not a big difference. For small things, I buy American.

OJ cost you $2 more because of gasoline prices, which are partially inflated because of gasoline taxes and foreign oil prices.

In sum, it's hard to buy something that was 100% created in America.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:16 pm

I buy whatever from wherever. It depends on the "content of the message" than the actual label itself.

Besides, it's nice to provide relatively better paying jobs in foreign countries, where they people face that job or a lower-paying job in the hot fields living on subsistence agriculture (caveat: Meager agri. surpluses? Sure, okay. Maybe).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:56 am

Romney Campaign Requested ‘Several’ Years of Tax Returns of VP Contenders

lololol

CHARLOTTE — Mitt Romney requested “several” years of tax returns from his potential running mates, a senior adviser to the candidate said Saturday, suggesting that those considered for the ticket may have been required to reveal more financial documents that the candidate himself.

In a briefing with reporters in Virginia Saturday, senior adviser Beth Myers, who was charged with headed the vice president selection process, declined to specify exactly how many years of tax returns were required, saying only that “several” were requested.

Several, by definition, implies more than two years.

Tim Pawlenty told George Stephanopoulos on “This Week” this morning that he gave “several” years of tax returns to Mitt Romney during the vice presidential vetting process. Pawlenty said he didn’t remember the exact number of years. He later said he gave Romney a “bunch” of tax returns.

When pressed about what “several” meant, Pawlenty said “We don’t get into the details of the vetting process.”

Romney, who has been under intense pressure to release more of his own tax returns by both Democrats and members of his own party, has so far released his 2010 returns and an estimate for his 2011 returns.

The campaign has said that the full 2011 returns will be released sometime before the November election.

When asked why he does not put the criticism to rest and just release more of his tax returns, Romney has said that no matter how many he decided to make public, there will always be a call to give more.

And while Romney’s own father, George Romney, released 12 years of tax returns during his bid for the presidency, the candidate today cites Sen. John McCain as the one who set the precedent to release just two years.

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:12 am

I'm not sure why Mittens won't release his tax returns. What are they going to show everyone? That he's rich and because the Internal Revenue Code provides deductions for capital losses and other "tax loophole" (vomitted in my mouth a little there) he's not paying any taxes? Who gives a shit? Everyone knows he's rich and he's not paying any taxes.

Postby Night Strike on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:46 am

thegreekdog wrote:I'm not sure why Mittens won't release his tax returns. What are they going to show everyone? That he's rich and because the Internal Revenue Code provides deductions for capital losses and other "tax loophole" (vomitted in my mouth a little there) he's not paying any taxes? Who gives a shit? Everyone knows he's rich and he's not paying any taxes.

Because all the Obama campaign is going to do is dig through every deduction he ever took and make the election about slandering the tax returns instead of actually debating real issues. Obama is already doing everything he can to avoid talking about any policy issue during this campaign, so why add even more fuel to his out of control fire?
Major Night Strike

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:31 am

Night Strike wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I'm not sure why Mittens won't release his tax returns. What are they going to show everyone? That he's rich and because the Internal Revenue Code provides deductions for capital losses and other "tax loophole" (vomitted in my mouth a little there) he's not paying any taxes? Who gives a shit? Everyone knows he's rich and he's not paying any taxes.

Because all the Obama campaign is going to do is dig through every deduction he ever took and make the election about slandering the tax returns instead of actually debating real issues. Obama is already doing everything he can to avoid talking about any policy issue during this campaign, so why add even more fuel to his out of control fire?

But again, the perception of Romney is that he's a rich guy who doesn't pay any taxes. That's already the perception. At this point, not releasing his tax returns is becoming worse than releasing them and taking his medicine.

Further, it would give the Republicans an opportunity to use the same tactic against the Democrats who aren't releasing their tax returns (I really want to see Barney Frank's tax return).

Postby Woodruff on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:29 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

But again, the perception of Romney is that he's a rich guy who doesn't pay any taxes. That's already the perception. At this point, not releasing his tax returns is becoming worse than releasing them and taking his medicine.

Exactly the point I made earlier. He's turning a molehill into a...well, not a mountain...but a hill.

Postby Symmetry on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Aye, and it's this vs the Rev Hill stuff that really comes to mind. Obama stepped up and said that he didn't agree, but he couldn't reject his past. Romney needs to do something to at least be considered a statesman. He seems to want to entirely reject his past. To draw a line.

Romney should step up and accept his mistakes as part of his development. Drawing lines and saying he just changed his mind is his biggest weakness.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:11 pm

Symmetry wrote:Aye, and it's this vs the Rev Hill stuff that really comes to mind. Obama stepped up and said that he didn't agree, but he couldn't reject his past. Romney needs to do something to at least be considered a statesman. He seems to want to entirely reject his past. To draw a line.

Romney should step up and accept his mistakes as part of his development. Drawing lines and saying he just changed his mind is his biggest weakness.

Did Romney make mistakes on his tax returns?

I did that once. I deducted only 1% of my medical expenses rather than 2%. Very embarrassing. I would not want that out in the open if I ran for office.

Postby Night Strike on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Symmetry wrote:Aye, and it's this vs the Rev Hill stuff that really comes to mind. Obama stepped up and said that he didn't agree, but he couldn't reject his past. Romney needs to do something to at least be considered a statesman. He seems to want to entirely reject his past. To draw a line.

Who the heck is Rev Hill? Are you meaning the racist pastor Jeremiah Wright who taught him for 30 years?

And what mistakes has Romney done concerning his taxes? Even if he took deductions that caused him to pay 0% of his income in taxes, it's all perfectly legal. In fact, any complaining they try to do about Romney's taxes just proves why we need either the Flat Tax or the Fair Tax to make the system fair for everybody, but all we hear them doing is complaining that the rich must pay more.
Major Night Strike

Postby Woodruff on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Night Strike wrote:

Who the heck is Rev Hill? Are you meaning the racist pastor Jeremiah Wright who taught him for 30 years?

And what mistakes has Romney done concerning his taxes? Even if he took deductions that caused him to pay 0% of his income in taxes, it's all perfectly legal. In fact, any complaining they try to do about Romney's taxes just proves why we need either the Flat Tax or the Fair Tax to make the system fair for everybody, but all we hear them doing is complaining that the rich must pay more.

I don't believe Symmetry is disagreeing with you here. He's simply saying Romney should "man up". I agree with him.

Postby Symmetry on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

I don't believe Symmetry is disagreeing with you here. He's simply saying Romney should "man up". I agree with him.

Aye, and NS is right, I meant Rev. Wright.

As for where NS is wrong- I don't assume blind faith in career politicians. I actually care less about the possible problems than the fact that he won't disclose them.

He looks like a coward in the face of a short term hit. TThe Repubs want to throw this guy out in front of China? What's he going to do with Israel, Russia, Germany, Venezuela? For goodness sake, he was mocked by second string Conservative politicians in a friendly visit to the UK.

If he can't man up and turn around an easy hit into a point of strength, prepare for the worst.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Nola_Lifer on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:52 am

Can we add voter fraud to the list? Ron Paul is suing at the moment on various levels of voter fraud against Romney. Here is Governor of Maine speaking against the Romney delegates.

http://thetippingpoint.bangordailynews. ... -conflict/
Major Nola_Lifer

PreviousNext

Return to Out, out, brief candle!