Conquer Club

If Marriage Is a Fundamental Right, Then?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: If Marriage Is a Fundemental Right, Then...?

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Bones2484 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Bones2484 wrote:
notyou2 wrote:Pscotty, why do you care?

For the same reason he disagrees with hamsters now being able to vote once we started letting those women vote.

aren't you the one that posted this? Cuz it's all you so far

Unless you are just that up front about what you're doing?

Says the guy who posted the youtube video that flat out says "If a fundamental right, the states wouldn't be able to regulate who, how many, or what were to be married."

Nice try turning that around. But I won't play your usual game.

Well, that's the point. Did you watch the video at all?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:34 pm

notyou2 wrote:
Bones2484 wrote:

For the same reason he disagrees with hamsters now being able to vote once we started letting those women vote.

I think he has an ulterior motive. He wants to marry his pet sheep Dolly and is trying to break down the barriers.

I can hear them now:

Phatscotty says: "Was it good for you Dolly?"

Dolly the sheep says: "Not baaaaaaaad."

is this a new defense mechanism? weird
Major Phatscotty

Postby 2dimes on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

What does whether I care or not have anything to do with anything?

You really are a nasty piece of work.

Sorry to ask but am I the only one that agrees with that question.

If any two people get married or a bunch even. Does phatscotty's opinion on it make any difference at all?

I can't see how.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby crispybits on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
crispybits wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
crispybits wrote:Scotty - let me ask you one question - should men and women be treated legally differently? Should someone's gender (whatever their sexuality) be a grounds for different legal treatment by the government? Should a man be granted a right because he is a man, that a woman is denied because she is a woman (or vice versa)?

all people should be treated the same as much as we can. Of course I realize that women seem to have more rights when it comes to custody of a child. However "rights" have nothing to do with whether or not the person excersizing them is a male or a female. A person has rights.

OK in that case I have person X and person Y. Without asking any questions about legally protected characteristics (such as race, religion or gender) can you please tell me if those two people should be allowed to form a legal marriage contract?

of course more information is needed, but I do understand why all the vagueness

Legally, why is more information needed? You can ask any question you like about either person, just not anything to do with legally protected characteristics, because to discriminate based on these characteristics is not allowed, for very good reasons.

So, ask all the questions you need to get all the information you want, but keep it legal. I'm not asking for any redefinition of marriage, I'm just asking if person X and person Y should be allowed to form this legal contract. It's a very simple question.
Major crispybits

Re:

Postby notyou2 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:40 pm

2dimes wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

What does whether I care or not have anything to do with anything?

You really are a nasty piece of work.

Sorry to ask but am I the only one that agrees with that question.

If any two people get married or a bunch even. Does phatscotty's opinion on it make any difference at all?

I can't see how.

My point exactly, but instead he dodges and calls me Neo. But that is not a bad thing as I like and respect Neo.
Captain notyou2

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:47 pm

I can tell you what marriage is, rather than go over a bunch of things that marriage isn't.

Marriage is a special bond between a man and a woman which recognizes the ability to create children. No not all married people marry to have children, but not all married people have to marry for the same reason to give that definition. Yes it's true, over the last few generations (since the break up of the family unit) that divorce has become mainstream and marriage has been debased and turned into a monetary benefit decision, be it from the government or for health insurance, but that doesn't make these things legitimate redefiners of marriage either.

People can love whoever they want, and if they want a piece of paper, and to get those benefits, then they need to change the laws on a state level and get a civil union or a domestic partnership or whatever they want to call it.

It's not anyone's fault that marriage has always been a man and a woman, or that has been all society has recognized throughout the past, or that the government decided to endorse it initially to build strong families. It's the culture that has changed. That doesn't make the culture right or wrong, and I'm not trying to say it's wrong, but it's others who are trying to force that it's right.

Whatever a state wants to do, they should do it. But marriage is not a fundamental right, or a civil right, or anything like that.
Major Phatscotty

Postby 2dimes on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 pm

I thought he called newguy neo.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby notyou2 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Marriage was around long before the government slimed it's way in the middle and started taxing the act.

I would expect you to be the first one to say, live and let live, and tell the government to get it's hand out of the pockets of people that want to get married.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you're a hypocrite.
Captain notyou2

Re:

Postby notyou2 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:53 pm

2dimes wrote:I thought he called newguy neo.

Wow, I was trying to deflect, but you really spelled that one out for everyone to see. Way to go 20 cents.
Captain notyou2

Postby 2dimes on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Sorry.

I know a lot of people that had kids without getting married.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Because gender matters. To say gender doesn't matter when it comes to something that has always been a bond between opposite sexes is to say the bond doesn't matter.

Anywhere difference between gender is obliterated in marriage, other things follow. Fore example boy scouts and girl scouts, boy's bathrooms and girl's bathrooms/locker rooms, boys basketball and girls basketball.

Gender matters
Major Phatscotty

Postby notyou2 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Phatscotty wrote:

Because gender matters. To say gender doesn't matter when it comes to something that has always been a bond between opposite sexes is to say the bond doesn't matter.

Anywhere difference between gender is obliterated in marriage, other things follow. Fore example boy scouts and girl scouts, boy's bathrooms and girl's bathrooms/locker rooms, boys basketball and girls basketball.

Gender matters

By this logic, to cut down a tree means the destruction of an entire forest.

Tell us the real reason your Phatness.
Last edited by notyou2 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain notyou2

Postby crispybits on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:02 pm

You don't think love and commitment are the bond, that some piece of paper given by a government official is what the bond IS?

Sometimes I can't help but wonder....

Are you planning to answer my hypothetical question any time PS?
Major crispybits

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:04 pm

crispybits wrote:You don't think love and commitment are the bond, that some piece of paper given by a government official is what the bond IS?

sure love and commitment are part of the bond. So is financial stability and child bearing hip range.
Major Phatscotty

Postby new guy1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Phatscotty wrote:

Gender matters

Animals have been shown to have homosexuality. It crosses and obliterates all lines between species. I have never attended a marriage between any animals, so I dont think bonds between men and women have been around longer than homosexuality.
Sergeant new guy1

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:12 pm

new guy1 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

Gender matters

Animals have been shown to have homosexuality. It crosses and obliterates all lines between species. I have never attended a marriage between any animals, so I dont think bonds between men and women have been around longer than homosexuality.

fascinating point. "Animals do it!" I don't even see how that is a response to what I wrote. I will point out, I guess, I was talking about humans.

:-s
Major Phatscotty

Postby crispybits on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
crispybits wrote:You don't think love and commitment are the bond, that some piece of paper given by a government official is what the bond IS?

sure love and commitment are part of the bond. So is financial stability and child bearing hip range.

So now we're going to restrict marrriage not only on fertility but also on financial stability?

Also, and again, are you planning to answer my hypothetical question on persons X and Y any time PS?
Major crispybits

Postby new guy1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
new guy1 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

Gender matters

fascinating point. "Animals do it!" I don't even see how that is a response to what I wrote

:-s

Quoted the wrong one. I can get the quote if it matters, but the point stands. And are we not animals? What separates us from animals? We just have the advantage of thumbs (which monkeys share) and the ability to make decisions and tools. We are mammals, last I checked, which classifies us as animals. So yes, I will stand by animals do it.
Sergeant new guy1

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:22 pm

crispybits wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

So now we're going to restrict marrriage not only on fertility but also on financial stability?

Also, and again, are you planning to answer my hypothetical question on persons X and Y any time PS?

None of that was about restriction. You said a couple reasons why people get married, I added a couple more. My point meant exactly as much as yours.

I told you already the answer. You can plug in the information from the top of this page to your equation. Sorry the quotes were getting out of hand
Major Phatscotty

Postby crispybits on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Phatscotty wrote:I told you already the answer. You can plug in the information from the top of this page to your equation. Sorry the quotes were getting out of hand

No worries, that's why I kept reminding you.

OK, I've asked person X and person Y everything I'm legally allowed to ask them from your description. Unfortunately one of them was born infertile (I can't tell you which for legal reasons), so they will never be able to have kids together, but apart from that they do share a special, loving committed emotional bond, they are financially stable, etc. Everything I am legally allowed to ask them which could be used as a legally valid reason to prevent them entering a legal contract has provided no red flags at all. So I can now assume that there should be no legal reason they should not be allowed to marry each other right?
Major crispybits

Postby notyou2 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:34 pm

crispybits wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:I told you already the answer. You can plug in the information from the top of this page to your equation. Sorry the quotes were getting out of hand

OK, I've asked person X and person Y everything I'm legally allowed to ask them from your description. Unfortunately one of them was born infertile (I can't tell you which for legal reasons), so they will never be able to have kids together, but apart from that they do share a special, loving committed emotional bond, they are financially stable, etc. Everything I am legally allowed to ask them which could be used as a legally valid reason to prevent them entering a legal contract has provided no red flags at all. So I can now assume that there should be no legal reason they should not be allowed to marry each other right?

Right.
Captain notyou2

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:05 pm

crispybits wrote:

Okay well like I already said, having children is not the only reason to get married, especially over the last couple generations.

All I am saying is that there is a name for the bond that a male and a female makes to become parents and create a child and to put something above themselves that can help survive the struggle through the hard times when people want to give up. That term is marriage, and I truly believe that the weaker marriage becomes, the more society will suffer as more and more children are raised without a father and born out of wedlock etc; raised in less than ideal situations. That isn't to say there aren't problems and circumstances beyond people's control, but it is to say we should hold up the ideal family structure as something to strive towards, but not imposed, and certainly not abandoned.

I think as long as person X is a male, and person Y is a female, and they are not related beyond a certain extent, and they are of legal consenting age, of course they should be able to marry. Why wouldn't they?

as an aside, do you believe that it is good advice for a couple to get married before they have children? why or why not?
Major Phatscotty

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:13 pm

Looks like we're trapped by different definitions of "marriage."

Phatscotty, in stateless society, would you be opposed to gay couples* obtaining a 'civil union'?

*assuming they are consenting, 'normal' adults. (Normal as in no abnormal mental impairments and the like).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Looks like we're trapped by different definitions of "marriage."

Phatscotty, in stateless society, would you be opposed to gay couples* obtaining a 'civil union'?

*assuming they are consenting, 'normal' adults. (Normal as in no abnormal mental impairments and the like).

No. I fully support civil unions for whatever 2 people want them, gay or straight. I've only said that like a million times tho. I would vote for that.

Of course there are different definitions of marriage now. That's what this is all about. redefining marriage.
Major Phatscotty

Postby new guy1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:24 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Looks like we're trapped by different definitions of "marriage."

No. I fully support civil unions for whatever 2 people want them, gay or straight. I've only said that like a million times tho. I would vote for that.

Of course there are different definitions of marriage now. That's what this is all about. redefining marriage.

So because you also put down (or I believe you said it, dont quote me on that) that you dont care if they get the same rights and all that married couples get, that you just think they should be named different? I dont know if that's what your saying, but thats what Im putting together.
Sergeant new guy1

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,