Conquer Club

Poll on Racism

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is it just as racist to SUPPORT someone based on race; as it is to OPPOSE someone based on race

Total votes : 0

Re: Phatscotty Poll on Racism

Postby Neoteny on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:56 pm

GabonX wrote:So a race war would not necessarily involve any kind of racism..

Interesting

Indeed. It's more likely to be about religion anyway.

Snorri1234 wrote:
Neoteny wrote:I edited my post, but, more specifically and in short, racism is the view that the differences between races are significant enough to allow for one race to be superior to the other in some fashion.

As such, I think it is theoretically possible to vote based on race and not be racist, but, to add to what I said earlier, individuals (even within a race) are different enough to make the odds of that happening in reality pretty close to zero. Hence, voting based on race is not inherently racist. Voting based on the thought that one race is better than the other is.

Actually, I'd say the odds are pretty decent. Since it's pretty much a given that not everyone cares about the same things and that people can base their vote on superficial and frivolous reasons it's easy to vote based on race and not be racist.

If you vote for a black man because you believe politics deserves some colour, you're not being racist. You might believe that a mixed group of politicians makes for a more balanced legislation than a group of old white men, and that may very well be untrue, but that's not the same as believing that one race is superior or inferior to others.

Indeed.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby GabonX on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:11 pm

So while you guys are against racism, you think it's OK to practice discrimination, despite this being the primary issue people have with racism...

Michael Savage was right. Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
saxitoxin wrote:I'm on Team GabonX
Captain GabonX

Postby Snorri1234 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:17 pm

GabonX wrote:So while you guys are against racism, you think it's OK to practice discrimination, despite this being the primary issue people have with racism...

Where did we say that?
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby Neoteny on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:23 pm

GabonX wrote:So while you guys are against racism, you think it's OK to practice discrimination, despite this being the primary issue people have with racism...

Michael Savage was right. Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Apparently conservatives can't read. I should publish this discovery and get some money off of it.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby Martin Ronne on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Neoteny wrote:
GabonX wrote:So I guess that means that it's ok for white people to only vote for white people.

Good to know!

Well, of course, but you're simplifying again (whether it is because you don't understand, I don't know, sorry the hypothetical bit about the identical politicians went over your head). If a white person is voting for white people because they think white people are better at politics, than it's racist. If they're voting for white people because they are better politicians who happen to be white, then it's not racist.

So in other words it is that simple and the answer to the poll is yes.

If a white person is voting for white people because they think white people are better at politics, than it's racist.

This addresses the poll question.

If they're voting for white people because they are better politicians who happen to be white, then it's not racist.

This does not address the poll question.

See, simple.
Last edited by Martin Ronne on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strife wrote:I hereby state Martin Ronne has inappropriately touched me. I would like to file charges against this sick bastard and expect he be sent to prison.
Major Martin Ronne

Postby GabonX on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:18 pm

If you're voting for a person because they hold similar views as another but you feel more comfortable with their race, even if that were not racism (and that's a big if) it's still discrimination.

Also if you vote for a minority candidate because as Snorri put it "because you believe politics deserves some colour" this is discrimination as well.
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
Captain GabonX

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:53 pm

GabonX wrote:That said, I don't think racism is a major problem anymore.

you're a fucking moron, and i am not even joking. a sheltered, ignorant, hypocritical dullard, unable to comprehend anything larger in scope than the chain of command at the burger king where you work. your opinions are worse than irrelevant and people like you are the reason the world is shitty. die in a fire.

tia
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:37 pm

SultanOfSurreal wrote:

you're a fucking moron, and i am not even joking. a sheltered, ignorant, hypocritical dullard, unable to comprehend anything larger in scope than the chain of command at the burger king where you work. your opinions are worse than irrelevant and people like you are the reason the world is shitty. die in a fire.

tia

it would be easier if you would just accept that everyone is not racist. you come into a subject assuming someone is. you will get nowhere that way
Major Phatscotty

Postby AgentSmith88 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:25 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
SultanOfSurreal wrote:

tia

it would be easier if you would just accept that everyone is not racist. you come into a subject assuming someone is. you will get nowhere that way

just because you say you aren't racist and think you aren't racist, doesn't mean you aren't racist.
Captain AgentSmith88

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:32 pm

AgentSmith88 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
SultanOfSurreal wrote:

tia

just because you say you aren't racist and think you aren't racist, doesn't mean you aren't racist.

Well can you give me that I started with an honest question?
Major Phatscotty

Postby got tonkaed on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:02 pm

Thought about the question for a little bit and here is why I voted no.

First, it was fairly straight foward to see where the question could come from and it has a lot of superficial common sense. Get a definition of racism, put it out there, and allow both scenarios to apply to it. If racisms meaning is to discriminate, it is not difficult to see how both sides of the coin could be argued. Certainly arguing from something of a vaccum perspective (ie there is not large scale racism today or that most people are not racist) it would be easy to point out that any actions on either side of the proposed statement would in fact be equally racist.

This seems to be a rather flawed proposition though, and i think its essential in understanding the question. Should your statement be true, we would be inclined to argue that in fact black americans who voted for Obama, if in any way based on race, are racists. This type of mass action toward racism invalidates the underpinning proposition, that people are in fact not racist. This also does not account for any individual who voted for Obama because he was black of any other race or ethnicity as well, but it would still count under the same idea. Since this event happened we can either classify it one of a few ways that might make sense. First, there are apparently a larger number of people who did a racist action in favor of a black person (disregarding for the moment any of the arguments about "Obama's blackness") than people who did any action against him. Now one could argue if people were making a decision primarily based on race, it is just as probable that these views did not appear out of nowhere, and that they have harbored them for some time. Under the first option, it would be possible to argue (incorrectly in my view - and far too simplistically) that there is racism in america today, and that it occurs against whites (though of course youd have to argue it occurs in all directions if you were going to argue the above).

Two other ways of looking at the issue (though they are related and i tie them together) make more sense than arguing what amounts to different racial groups are in some way acting in a unified way with unifed goals against one another (in something akin to a cold version of a race war). The first of these two is to argue you against the word "just" in your question. It would seem possible to argue that by voting for someone just because of their race it is a discriminatory act without arguing that it is the same as other discriminatory acts. It would probably look akin to a spectrum of sorts, where we take the most positive act that a person does because of someone's race or ethnicity and on the opposite end place the most negative actions that a person could do. Though of course the spectrum would probably be different in some ways depending on the person is evaluating actions, it seems very clear (at least in my view) that the actions on the bad side are far worse than the good of the actions on the good side. I dont know if its really worth arguing what it would look like in this post, any reader could simply think about it for a moment and I believe they will see a similar outcome.

In the light of what seems to make a lot more sense than saying A = B and if you do A you are therefor the same as a person who is B, its now time to argue intent and the possibility of a multitude of reasons for doing something. As it stands, I have no doubt that there are people who vote primarily on the race of a candidate. Just as I have no doubt there are people who vote primarily on a candidates gender, age, religious values, presumed morality as well. Voting using any one of these as a singluar criteria is at the very least a less rational vote. However that does not mean i believe most people vote in this way. Even many people who did vote for Obama considering his race or who did not vote for Obama considering his race, probably had other motivations as well, though of course its very difficult to know if the former had influence on the latter.

The difficulty in placing people who do things positively toward someone else in regards to their race on such a spectrum is that you seem to be arguing racism does not exist anymore or that it is far less frequent than at any prior point before. I do not believe this is necessarily the case. Your counter argument would probably take the look of are you equating today with the past where racism was overt (ie anytime from when slavery started until more recent history). I am not, it is not the same, though i think a spectrum of actions can account for that. Under the proposed spectrum I could find agreement with the idea that racism has taken on far less negative actions, (ie people are not lynched frequently) but that racism still exists perhaps currently in a more benign fashion. As I do not believe racism has disappeared (or that it ever will in entirety) it is difficult to say actions that support someone based on race are equivalent to actions done against a person based on race.

Final note, you can use a spectrum correctly i believe both on a personal level and on a group or societal level, which may be important in cleaning up some of the muck above.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:21 pm

got tonkaed wrote:Thought about the question for a little bit and here is why I voted no.

First, it was fairly straight foward to see where the question could come from and it has a lot of superficial common sense. Get a definition of racism, put it out there, and allow both scenarios to apply to it. If racisms meaning is to discriminate, it is not difficult to see how both sides of the coin could be argued. Certainly arguing from something of a vaccum perspective (ie there is not large scale racism today or that most people are not racist) it would be easy to point out that any actions on either side of the proposed statement would in fact be equally racist.

This seems to be a rather flawed proposition though, and i think its essential in understanding the question. Should your statement be true, we would be inclined to argue that in fact black americans who voted for Obama, if in any way based on race, are racists. This type of mass action toward racism invalidates the underpinning proposition, that people are in fact not racist. This also does not account for any individual who voted for Obama because he was black of any other race or ethnicity as well, but it would still count under the same idea. Since this event happened we can either classify it one of a few ways that might make sense. First, there are apparently a larger number of people who did a racist action in favor of a black person (disregarding for the moment any of the arguments about "Obama's blackness") than people who did any action against him. Now one could argue if people were making a decision primarily based on race, it is just as probable that these views did not appear out of nowhere, and that they have harbored them for some time. Under the first option, it would be possible to argue (incorrectly in my view - and far too simplistically) that there is racism in america today, and that it occurs against whites (though of course youd have to argue it occurs in all directions if you were going to argue the above).

Two other ways of looking at the issue (though they are related and i tie them together) make more sense than arguing what amounts to different racial groups are in some way acting in a unified way with unifed goals against one another (in something akin to a cold version of a race war). The first of these two is to argue you against the word "just" in your question. It would seem possible to argue that by voting for someone just because of their race it is a discriminatory act without arguing that it is the same as other discriminatory acts. It would probably look akin to a spectrum of sorts, where we take the most positive act that a person does because of someone's race or ethnicity and on the opposite end place the most negative actions that a person could do. Though of course the spectrum would probably be different in some ways depending on the person is evaluating actions, it seems very clear (at least in my view) that the actions on the bad side are far worse than the good of the actions on the good side. I dont know if its really worth arguing what it would look like in this post, any reader could simply think about it for a moment and I believe they will see a similar outcome.

In the light of what seems to make a lot more sense than saying A = B and if you do A you are therefor the same as a person who is B, its now time to argue intent and the possibility of a multitude of reasons for doing something. As it stands, I have no doubt that there are people who vote primarily on the race of a candidate. Just as I have no doubt there are people who vote primarily on a candidates gender, age, religious values, presumed morality as well. Voting using any one of these as a singluar criteria is at the very least a less rational vote. However that does not mean i believe most people vote in this way. Even many people who did vote for Obama considering his race or who did not vote for Obama considering his race, probably had other motivations as well, though of course its very difficult to know if the former had influence on the latter.

The difficulty in placing people who do things positively toward someone else in regards to their race on such a spectrum is that you seem to be arguing racism does not exist anymore or that it is far less frequent than at any prior point before. I do not believe this is necessarily the case. Your counter argument would probably take the look of are you equating today with the past where racism was overt (ie anytime from when slavery started until more recent history). I am not, it is not the same, though i think a spectrum of actions can account for that. Under the proposed spectrum I could find agreement with the idea that racism has taken on far less negative actions, (ie people are not lynched frequently) but that racism still exists perhaps currently in a more benign fashion. As I do not believe racism has disappeared (or that it ever will in entirety) it is difficult to say actions that support someone based on race are equivalent to actions done against a person based on race.

Final note, you can use a spectrum correctly i believe both on a personal level and on a group or societal level, which may be important in cleaning up some of the muck above.

OK
Major Phatscotty

Postby got tonkaed on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:25 pm

i do believe you were be intentionally simplistic, which is intellectually dishonest for what its worth.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby GabonX on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Thank you professor
Captain GabonX

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:37 pm

got tonkaed wrote:i do believe you were be intentionally simplistic, which is intellectually dishonest for what its worth.

i know how i feel and how i grew up and what my parents and BET taught me. you may speak about what I am and how I feel all you like, which I find initially intellectually dishonest. no backsies! ta!
Major Phatscotty

Postby got tonkaed on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:39 pm

GabonX wrote:Thank you professor

It is this type of attitude that makes so much nonsense become believable. Instead of discussing something, and theres plenty that could be discussed, torn apart, argued and eventually hopefully generates some type of understanding, you say thank you professor.

The world is not a set of talking points.

It goes for you as well Phatscotty.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby GabonX on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:44 pm

got tonkaed wrote:

It is this type of attitude that makes so much nonsense become believable. Instead of discussing something, and theres plenty that could be discussed, torn apart, argued and eventually hopefully generates some type of understanding, you say thank you professor.

All right, that was disrespectful..I apologize.

That said, I will be much more likely to "discuss", "tear apart" and "argue" with the hope of "generating understanding" if the posts I read are a bit more concise and you don't take jabs at me for being an "ideological hawk".

Maybe you can explain why being a "hawk" is invalid in the other thread...
Captain GabonX

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:47 pm

got tonkaed wrote:

I feel this is a wonderful opportunity to stimulate transition. Many Cities are talking about cutting city services due to budget short-falls. This sounds really sad but in reality it could help build a transitional opportunity.

With less Police officers some may naturally worry about an increase in crime. Conservatives may buy guns and tasers to defend themselves but true Progressives will go out into the city and work to pre-empt criminal behavior.

Criminals are the result of an oppressive culture brought on by rich white conservatives sense of superiority. Criminals are angry and lash out because they believe that nobody cares.

Go into the crime ridden neighborhoods and tell people that you care. Talk to them and tell them how their criminal behavior makes you afraid and sad. Let them know that you want to be their friend and that you really care.

You never know what can happen until you try.

Ta!

Save you're progressive crap
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby got tonkaed on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Again, it doesnt actually change anything from the post about seeking simplicity if you just draw up the trolling under a different play from the playbook.

I like policy, I am not a huge something has to be A or B proponent. At the end of the day it doesnt really matter if you are or are not, but if you are going to run around and spout all kinds of irrelevancies its worth at least proposing them in a way that doesnt make you look intellectually childish.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby Simon Viavant on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:57 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Criminals are the result of an oppressive culture brought on by white peoples sense of superiority. Criminals are angry and lash out because they believe that nobody cares.

So you're implying criminals are black?
ImageImageImage
Remember Them
Corporal Simon Viavant

Postby GabonX on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:01 pm

Simon Viavant wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Criminals are the result of an oppressive culture brought on by white peoples sense of superiority. Criminals are angry and lash out because they believe that nobody cares.

So you're implying criminals are black?

Most of them..that or Hispanic.

Yes I said it, and yes it's true. Don't shoot the messenger.
Captain GabonX

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:06 pm

i was super-imposing and recollecting a story that just happened here in my city, i checked it
Major Phatscotty

Postby GabonX on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:10 pm

Interestingly enough, I have more respect for a good number of black criminals that I've known than a number of white college graduates..

They may be criminals but at least they get it.
Captain GabonX

Postby Ray Rider on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Neoteny wrote:The way the question is worded and how "racist" could be defined are what prompts my statement. If it's a question of whether it is racist to oppose someone for office because you feel his race is less capable in office, then I'd say that it's obviously probable. If it's "as racist" to support as to oppose due to differing physical features, I'm not so sure. If you are deciding between two politically identical candidates except that one is white and one black, and I pick the white guy because I am also white (suppose I'm superficial like that), it's hard to say if I feel that's racist. Is it wrong to support the bald guy because I too am bald? It seems that if you consider race to be nearly arbitrary like I do, you can pick between "races" for something silly like similarity to oneself or something subjective like aesthetics and not necessarily be racist. I feel this because racism seems to be more about the capabilities of an individual rather than how he looks. If I acknowledge that both individuals are equally politically competent, and pick the white guy because he has the same skin tone as me, I'm not sure I would consider myself racist (nor would I consider a black man racist for doing the same thing). It seems that there's a subtle wrinkle there that you have not considered.

Neoteny wrote:Well, of course, but you're simplifying again (whether it is because you don't understand, I don't know, sorry the hypothetical bit about the identical politicians went over your head). If a white person is voting for white people because they think white people are better at politics, than it's racist. If they're voting for white people because they are better politicians who happen to be white, then it's not racist.

Neoteny wrote:I edited my post, but, more specifically and in short, racism is the view that the differences between races are significant enough to allow for one race to be superior to the other in some fashion.

As such, I think it is theoretically possible to vote based on race and not be racist, but, to add to what I said earlier, individuals (even within a race) are different enough to make the odds of that happening in reality pretty close to zero. Hence, voting based on race is not inherently racist. Voting based on the thought that one race is better than the other is.

Very interesting :-k I've thought along the same lines before, but I could never have explained it so clearly and succinctly. =D>

And Phatscotty, I'm surprised that you would create a topic and then jeer at those such as Neoteny and Tonkaed who are willing to put time and effort into discussing it! What are you thinking? :-s
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby Fircoal on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:30 am

GabonX wrote:Interestingly enough, I have more respect for a good number of black criminals that I've known than a number of white college graduates..

They may be criminals but at least they get it.

I'm interested to know why you think this way, and what they get that white college graduates don't. (Somehow I think this is just based on political spectrum of course...)
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,