Conquer Club

Post ur desktop background coolest 1 wins[AoG winning]

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Post your desktop background, coolest 1 wins! [AOG WINNI

Postby nietzsche on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:52 am

Woodruff wrote:I do in fact still use Win95, because all of my preferred games do not seem to work very well (if at all) in the post-95 incarnations, sadly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby nietzsche on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:53 am

AOG:

How is your Desktop Background better than mine?
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 am

Because mine is better.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:48 am

Click image to enlarge.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby john9blue on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Why do you even use Windows, Woody? Aren't there other OSes that use memory more efficiently? Or is it because of these "games"?
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:46 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

Huge image is huge.

And Woody, Win95? What games do you play? My favorite was Wolfenstein 3d and the original Civilization.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:10 pm

bitchy poster is bitchy with a good point

Click image to enlarge.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Me hating Daft Punk is me hating Daft Punk.

It's a cool image, but seeing Daft Punk in the url of the image makes me cringe.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:09 pm

john9blue wrote:Why do you even use Windows, Woody? Aren't there other OSes that use memory more efficiently? Or is it because of these "games"?

I am in truth very much a Unix geek. It's what I spent a large part of my military career administering. However, yes I use Windows solely for the games.

Off the top of my head:

Panzer General 2
M.A.X.
Warlords 3
Master of Orion 2
Imperialism 2
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
STARS!
The "You Don't Know Jack" series
Axis and Allies
Advanced Tactics
Reach For the Stars
Front Office Football: The College Years

Others I'm sure, but those are the ones I play the most often, and then sprinkling in the odd Baldur's Gate or Diablo every few years.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Woodruff wrote:
edocsil wrote:Woodruff, your killing me. The amount of memory used to load that pic is only used in the startup, as it is a static image... If you are using a scrolling BG like in Win7 then it takes some RAM, but otherwise? I seriously hope you are joking. IF you are back-asswards and still using 95 you might be able to not load a BG at all, but in Win7 a BG is required, even if it is just a black pic.

I do in fact still use Win95, because all of my preferred games do not seem to work very well (if at all) in the post-95 incarnations, sadly.

And if a background is required in Windows7, that tells me even further that I wouldn't want to run it...any operating system so arrogant as to force me to use my system in a way I don't want to is one I don't care to use. Windows95 itself is bad enough in that regard, certainly.

Then use a *Nix. Run 95 on a virtual machine if you want the games that badly.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:17 pm

InkL0sed wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
edocsil wrote:Woodruff, your killing me. The amount of memory used to load that pic is only used in the startup, as it is a static image... If you are using a scrolling BG like in Win7 then it takes some RAM, but otherwise? I seriously hope you are joking. IF you are back-asswards and still using 95 you might be able to not load a BG at all, but in Win7 a BG is required, even if it is just a black pic.

I do in fact still use Win95, because all of my preferred games do not seem to work very well (if at all) in the post-95 incarnations, sadly.

And if a background is required in Windows7, that tells me even further that I wouldn't want to run it...any operating system so arrogant as to force me to use my system in a way I don't want to is one I don't care to use. Windows95 itself is bad enough in that regard, certainly.

But that's just it...you're looking at it backwards. You're giving me ways in which I can upgrade TO KEEP WHAT I HAVE. But I'm not hearing any reasons for why I would want to upgrade at all to begin with. I've looked at Red Hat, but never saw the "value added" to bother.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:26 pm

Woodruff wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

But that's just it...you're looking at it backwards. You're giving me ways in which I can upgrade TO KEEP WHAT I HAVE. But I'm not hearing any reasons for why I would want to upgrade at all to begin with. I've looked at Red Hat, but never saw the "value added" to bother.

You just said it. It's an upgrade.

Honestly, Windows 95 is so before my time I don't even know the differences. Plus, I use Macs.

Not to mention, new software isn't compatible with old operating systems... there's all kinds of cool stuff out there. Can you even use stuff like Skype, or new Internet browsers?? I mean, shit, there must be all kinds of software you can't use.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby natty dread on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:45 pm

:shock:

wow, and I thought I was screwed with my XP and software support...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:46 pm

InkL0sed wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

You just said it. It's an upgrade.
Honestly, Windows 95 is so before my time I don't even know the differences. Plus, I use Macs.
Not to mention, new software isn't compatible with old operating systems... there's all kinds of cool stuff out there. Can you even use stuff like Skype, or new Internet browsers?? I mean, shit, there must be all kinds of software you can't use.

Ok, I'm an idiot first of all...I've been lying here, albeit completely unintentionally. I don't know why, but in my mind I was thinking Windows95, when I am actually using XP. I'm not sure how I made that particular mistake, but I did. At any rate, we'll have to pick up the discussion from that point...I'm using XP, not 95 and I am stupid. <grin>

As to the "You just said it. It's an upgrade."...well, upgrading for the sake of upgrading is stupid. You should NEVER, EVER, EVER upgrade a computer system unless there is a particularly important need for it. For me, there quite simply hasn't been enough need to upgrade past XP to bother with. Games these days are largely NOT the kind of games I like (which you can see from my list is largely turn-based style in strategy games), so that impetus isn't there for me.

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:47 pm

natty_dread wrote::shock:

No, I'm in that same boat. I just somehow confused the two in my mind.

Postby natty dread on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Woodruff wrote:
natty_dread wrote::shock:

No, I'm in that same boat. I just somehow confused the two in my mind.

Well XP is the 95 of today, I guess...

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:51 pm

95 > XP

Wolfinstein 3D is the shit.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby natty dread on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:53 pm

Army of GOD wrote:95 > XP

Wolfinstein 3D is the shit.

Doom is better.

Postby john9blue on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:12 pm

Woodruff wrote:Ok, I'm an idiot first of all...I've been lying here, albeit completely unintentionally. I don't know why, but in my mind I was thinking Windows95, when I am actually using XP. I'm not sure how I made that particular mistake, but I did. At any rate, we'll have to pick up the discussion from that point...I'm using XP, not 95 and I am stupid. <grin>

WUT

that changes things kind of a lot lol

i use xp also

guess you're not as ludditic as i thought ;)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:13 pm

john9blue wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Ok, I'm an idiot first of all...I've been lying here, albeit completely unintentionally. I don't know why, but in my mind I was thinking Windows95, when I am actually using XP. I'm not sure how I made that particular mistake, but I did. At any rate, we'll have to pick up the discussion from that point...I'm using XP, not 95 and I am stupid. <grin>

WUT
that changes things kind of a lot lol

No kidding. Pretty stupid mistake, huh? <laughing>

I couldn't believe it...I was reading over InKlosed's post and I thought..."why is he talking about Windows95?"...and then I looked at what I had posted. <sigh>

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:16 pm

Windows 7 is so much better than XP.

At least when it crashes now, it acts like it can fix it (which it can't still, but who's keeping score?!).
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:13 am

natty_dread wrote:My desktop has been this for a while... I do tend to change it every few weeks though.

Click image to enlarge.

ps. Alita is cute.

what's wrong with her arm?

ALSO:

Windows 7 is for allfags.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:22 am

I'm in the XP boat as well, good thing i kept on reading before researching the games you posted.
I was wondering, if i can get Monkey Island 1 to work on XP wth kind of games are you playing that need 95 :lol:
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:23 am

Leopard.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:20 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:I'm in the XP boat as well, good thing i kept on reading before researching the games you posted.
I was wondering, if i can get Monkey Island 1 to work on XP wth kind of games are you playing that need 95 :lol:

No kidding. Although I DO have a couple of games that I absolutely LOVED that I have had zero success in getting to work on XP. The primary one being "Command HQ"...a damn great strategy game, even if it is a real-time one.

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,