Conquer Club

Wisconsin State Employees & Budget Cuts

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Wisconsin State Employees & Budget Cuts

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:30 am

Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Woodruff wrote:How are unions not a part of the free market in action?

Woodruff wrote:Companies are forced to accept unionization of their employees

Boom. Free market

You didn't really counter anything nor answer the question. Would you care to try?

Yes, I will try.

I just wanted to see what it felt like to play your game for a sec
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:41 am

Phatscotty wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Woodruff wrote:How are unions not a part of the free market in action?

Boom. Free market

You didn't really counter anything nor answer the question. Would you care to try?

Yes, I will try.
I just wanted to see what it felt like to play your game for a sec

That would only apply if "for a sec" somehow equates to the eight months or so in your mind.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:42 am

the overall point remains. your statements contradict each other.
Major Phatscotty

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:00 am

rockfist wrote:The government should have the ability to enforce some REASONABLE safety laws. The problem is IMO that too often the government is not reasonable.

example? Because what I see is too few safety considerations..and those that exist not being enforced. Enviornmental protections are even weaker, by far.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:15 am

Phatscotty wrote:the overall point remains. your statements contradict each other.

No they don't. Not if you understand how unions are formed in businesses. Do you understand how unions are formed in businesses, Phatscotty?

There's a reason why Wal-Mart has only ever had one small group of individuals unionize within their entire corporation, and that small group of meatcutters no longer exists. That reason isn't because my statements contradict each other.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:the overall point remains. your statements contradict each other.

No they don't. Not if you understand how unions are formed in businesses. Do you understand how unions are formed in businesses, Phatscotty?

There's a reason why Wal-Mart has only ever had one small group of individuals unionize within their entire corporation, and that small group of meatcutters no longer exists. That reason isn't because my statements contradict each other.

I understand that forced unionization is not part of the "free" market.

so easy it's pointless
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

so easy it's pointless

"Pointless" is right...it was pointless to believe that you understood how unionization of a business or part of a business is started. The fact of the matter is that unions absolutely are a part of the free market and anyone who believes they are not does not have a very sound understanding of what the free market is.

It's like you're claiming that because a business is forced to lower their prices in order to remain competitive that it isn't a part of the free market...just because they were "forced" to do something that was really fairly voluntary. You see, unions are formed in almost all cases because of worker dissatisfaction (for various reasons). If a business doesn't want a union to form in their business, all they have to do is take care of their people in a reasonable manner OR work very hard at anti-union foothold tactics (this is how Wal-Mart has remained successful at fending off the unions).

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:30 pm

It becomes a problem when the companies have an inherent bias in the courts, etc. Employers already have a leg up in that most people don't want to endanger their jobs except for VERY good reasons. Companies don't have to be perfect employers to fend of unions, just not "simon Legree", in an open system. Unions operate as a reasonable check.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:49 pm

Woodruff wrote:... You see, unions are formed in almost all cases because of worker dissatisfaction (for various reasons). If a business doesn't want a union to form in their business, all they have to do is take care of their people in a reasonable manner OR work very hard at anti-union foothold tactics (this is how Wal-Mart has remained successful at fending off the unions).

... Often though, they must be convinced that they are dissatisfied.

... Where I work now is a non-union business. Most folks working there, on the actual factory floor, seem happy enough. My company offers a very good hourly rate with a kick-arse insurance plan, 401K, the works.

... Yet reps from unions (well, from a union) continue to "wine and dine" our associates, to tell them of the terrible oppression under which they suffer. This wining and dining usually involves weekend parties (free beer) and tickets to Reds or Bengels games.

... And some of these fools buy into it. Idiots. The second we go union is the second my company packs it in to set up shop elsewhere.

Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

so easy it's pointless

"Pointless" is right...it was pointless to believe that you understood how unionization of a business or part of a business is started.

Well, I am in 2 unions and have been active and involved in both of them for over a decade. You sure I don't understand?

Another thing I understand is now you are trying to change the subject. Probably a win in your book.

Free indeed woody. :roll:
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Nobunaga wrote:
Woodruff wrote:... You see, unions are formed in almost all cases because of worker dissatisfaction (for various reasons). If a business doesn't want a union to form in their business, all they have to do is take care of their people in a reasonable manner OR work very hard at anti-union foothold tactics (this is how Wal-Mart has remained successful at fending off the unions).

... Often though, they must be convinced that they are dissatisfied.

That certainly happens, I will agree. And I do have a problem with that.

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

so easy it's pointless

"Pointless" is right...it was pointless to believe that you understood how unionization of a business or part of a business is started.

Well, I am in 2 unions and have been active and involved in both of them for over a decade. You sure I don't understand?

Another thing I understand is now you are trying to change the subject. Probably a win in your book.

Free indeed woody. :roll:

I haven't changed the subject at all. However, if you want to claim to belong to two unions and understand how they work, then the only thing I can say is that you must be dishonest in your discussion here. Because you don't seem to understand them and how they are a part of the free market.

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:10 pm

pretty sure it was your comment about companies being forced to unionize (and not just unions in general), but you aren't able to wrap your head around your own comment I guess.

still pointless.

As for you calling me a liar, I've already proven my union status here. Guess you are the one that is wrong afterall.
Major Phatscotty

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:12 am

Phatscotty wrote:pretty sure it was your comment about companies being forced to unionize (and not just unions in general), but you aren't able to wrap your head around your own comment I guess.

still pointless.

As for you calling me a liar, I've already proven my union status here. Guess you are the one that is wrong afterall.

If companies are forced to unionize, it is by the employees, and part of the free market. However, even allowing that people have that right without a literal war (I mean aka deadly riots, etc), then they need some basic protections.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Woodruff on Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:23 am

Phatscotty wrote:pretty sure it was your comment about companies being forced to unionize (and not just unions in general), but you aren't able to wrap your head around your own comment I guess.

I understand my comment perfectly well. You seem to be having a lot of difficulty with it, however.

Phatscotty wrote:As for you calling me a liar, I've already proven my union status here. Guess you are the one that is wrong afterall.

You've proven it? How, pray tell, did you do that? Did you present your union card to lackattack or something?

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Jobz
Major Phatscotty

Postby john9blue on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:26 pm

JOBS

hey by the way, this summer i had a great internship job in wisconsin ($18/hour) with almost zero prior work experience. this was after i applied for about 20 stupid, nearly minimum wage jobs in illinois, and got rejected from all of them. it was like college applications all over again.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby spurgistan on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Nice! What'd you do?
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby john9blue on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:21 am

spurgistan wrote:Nice! What'd you do?

i was a computer programming intern for a financial company. was pretty fun :)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:24 am

Wisconsin is hiring! Over 30,000 job positions need to be filled ASAP!

https://jobcenterofwisconsin.com/
Major Phatscotty

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,