Conquer Club

Mitt Romney Scandals

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mitt Romney Scandals

Postby Night Strike on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:I've skipped over a few mini-scandals too like his compulsive hiding of money to avoid US taxes.

That hasn't been done either. Romney has paid the proper taxes on all his earned income, even if he stores the money outside the US.

Yes. Stores money in places where he doesn't pay taxes on it.

Except that he did pay taxes on it.
Major Night Strike

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Yup and at exactly the same rate.

We don't have his tax records.
So tell me, why would he store his unknown sums of money in all these overseas accounts? And why would he only choose country's known as "tax havens?"

Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:37 pm

SCANDAL

Postby bradleybadly on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Symmetry wrote:
bradleybadly wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
bradleybadly wrote:If only Juan would've been this zealous in vetting Obama back in 2007-2008.

He joined in 2008, it's right there under his name. How could he have been here in 2007 vetting Obama?

Yup, cause I clearly restricted the statement to being registered on CC.

One might wonder how you know he wasn't vetting like a zealot in 2007 then, elsewhere.

Yes, one who has never read Juan's posts might never be able to deduce that, but that one might be a liberal comrade trying to get the focus off of the original point
Lootifer wrote:I earn well above average income for my area, i'm educated and I support left wing politics.

jbrettlip wrote:You live in New Zealand. We will call you when we need to make another Hobbit movie.
Corporal bradleybadly

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:33 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Yup and at exactly the same rate.

We don't have his tax records.
So tell me, why would he store his unknown sums of money in all these overseas accounts? And why would he only choose country's known as "tax havens?"

and.........is it the person to blame who invests overseas where returns are much better and their currencies are not devasted by government debt? or is it the policies to blame that drive money overseas because USA has the second highest corporate tax rate in the world and our dollar is worth about half of what it was just 15 years ago?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:21 am

bradleybadly wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
bradleybadly wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
bradleybadly wrote:If only Juan would've been this zealous in vetting Obama back in 2007-2008.

He joined in 2008, it's right there under his name. How could he have been here in 2007 vetting Obama?

Yup, cause I clearly restricted the statement to being registered on CC.

One might wonder how you know he wasn't vetting like a zealot in 2007 then, elsewhere.

Yes, one who has never read Juan's posts might never be able to deduce that, but that one might be a liberal comrade trying to get the focus off of the original point

The OP was about Mitt Romney, and his problematic, potentially criminal finances. If you genuinely want to get back to discussing that, I would be very happy.

If you want to discuss a separate topic, I would suggest making a thread with the point you want to talk about.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:59 pm

Phatscotty wrote:and.........is it the person to blame who invests overseas where returns are much better and their currencies are not devasted by government debt? or is it the policies to blame that drive money overseas because USA has the second highest corporate tax rate in the world and our dollar is worth about half of what it was just 15 years ago?

My honest answer is that yes...that person IS to blame (whoever they may be). If they have designs on the office of President of the United States, then they damn well should not be hiding their money overseas. It seems to me that's a direct slap in the face to the nation they want to lead, and an example of putting personal gain ahead of the nation, which is very much a problem with our national politics (from the President through Congress).

I don't really care that much of the CEO of Goodyear does it. But when a Presidential candidate has done it, I do believe it's telling.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 am

Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:and.........is it the person to blame who invests overseas where returns are much better and their currencies are not devasted by government debt? or is it the policies to blame that drive money overseas because USA has the second highest corporate tax rate in the world and our dollar is worth about half of what it was just 15 years ago?

My honest answer is that yes...that person IS to blame (whoever they may be). If they have designs on the office of President of the United States, then they damn well should not be hiding their money overseas. It seems to me that's a direct slap in the face to the nation they want to lead, and an example of putting personal gain ahead of the nation, which is very much a problem with our national politics (from the President through Congress).

I don't really care that much of the CEO of Goodyear does it. But when a Presidential candidate has done it, I do believe it's telling.

So why can't presidential candidates maximize their income? If the US has policies that directly harm a person or business, wouldn't it be much better to keep your money legally out of that system until it is reformed? In fact, I would think that person would be one of the best for advocating a change in the tax structure to provide an incentive (or at least not a penalty) for people to keep their money in the US because they would know the exact reasons why their money is located where it is. That person should give a direct slap to the government that has burdensome taxes and regulations and then work to enact better policies.

And none of Romney's money is "hiding" oversees. It has all been reported according to the legal requirements of this country. If you want people to keep their money in this country, then quit penalizing them with higher taxes simply because they're wealthy or successful.
Major Night Strike

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:30 am

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

So why can't presidential candidates maximize their income?

I'm not saying they CAN'T. What I AM saying is that they should expect that if they take the sort of action referred to above, they shouldn't be surprised if people hold it against them when they're running for office, as an example that they may put their own personal interest ahead of the interests of the nation. I AM saying that Presidential candidates SHOULD be held to a different, higher standard...yes, without question.

Night Strike wrote:And none of Romney's money is "hiding" oversees.

That's not what I'm talking about...I'm specifically referring to Phatscotty's statements above, with no indication or presumption of illegal activities.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:41 pm

If he's not hiding it then he should disclose the amounts and the amount he saved on taxes.
What he is doing is exactly the definition of hiding.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:30 pm

Postby MegaProphet on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:01 pm

NAACP Official: Romney ‘Flew In’ His Own Blacks to Cheer NAACP Speech
http://atlantablackstar.com/2012/07/12/ ... cp-speech/
Corporal MegaProphet

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Image

So who transplanted BBS's brain into George Will?

(I am actually a pretty big fan of George Will.)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Who isn't?

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:49 pm

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/ ... ?mobile=nc

So we all know that Mitt Romney's Olympics had our torchbearer's uniforms made with slave labor. Now he's bragging bout the US Flag lapel pins that he had made for charity.
He had those made in China too.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Things his wife shouldn't have said.

http://www.alternet.org/election-2012/5 ... ann-romney

Postby bedub1 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:15 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:Image

So who transplanted BBS's brain into George Will?

(I am actually a pretty big fan of George Will.)

I couldn't agree with this graphic more. It's a calculated risk. He calculated it's better to refuse to release his tax returns than have thousands of people auditing him and finding out the truth. The truth won't set him free, it won't send him to a white color resort prison. No, no, no. He's going to Federal pound me in the ass prison.
Colonel bedub1

Postby bedub1 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Anybody want to speculate on why he hasn't revealed a Vice President running mate yet? I theorize it's because he can't find one. Nobody wants to get in a sinking ship and drown. Especially not when he's just like Captain Schettino. Romney isn't the kind of guy with character that helps the women and children stay's behind, making sure he is last off the boat. He's the kind of guy that jumps into the life raft first and tries to distance himself from the situation he caused. He's the kid of guy that would keep himself afloat by drowning little children. He's the kind of guy that in order to make a buck will completely f*ck of millions of people for his own greed and benefit.
Colonel bedub1

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:42 pm

bedub1 wrote:Anybody want to speculate on why he hasn't revealed a Vice President running mate yet? I theorize it's because he can't find one.

Bush announced Cheney on July 25, 2000 (Convention July 31).
Gore announced Lieberman on August 8, 2000 (Convention August 14).
Kerry announced Edwards on July 6, 2004 (Convention July 26).
Obama announced Biden on August 23, 2008 (Convention August 25).
McCain announced Palin on August 29, 2008 (Convention September 1).

Only John Kerry announced a running mate more than 1 week before the party convention. So how does your complaint hold water? The Olympics end August 12th and the Republican National Convention begins August 27th, so I'm guessing he'll announce somebody between those two times.
Major Night Strike

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:01 pm

bedub1 wrote:Anybody want to speculate on why he hasn't revealed a Vice President running mate yet? I theorize it's because he can't find one. Nobody wants to get in a sinking ship and drown. Especially not when he's just like Captain Schettino. Romney isn't the kind of guy with character that helps the women and children stay's behind, making sure he is last off the boat. He's the kind of guy that jumps into the life raft first and tries to distance himself from the situation he caused. He's the kid of guy that would keep himself afloat by drowning little children. He's the kind of guy that in order to make a buck will completely f*ck of millions of people for his own greed and benefit.

It doesn't seem that late in the game to me, to be honest.

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Things his wife shouldn't have said.

http://www.alternet.org/election-2012/5 ... ann-romney

That was a pretty biased hit-piece, in my view. However, I did find #4 to be absolutely hilarious. Egad!

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,