Conquer Club

God Particle Found, But Does Anyone Care?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do You Care?

Total votes : 0

Re: God Particle Found, But Does Anyone Care?

Postby Lootifer on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:45 pm

Jesus PS if you wanted to have an intellectual discussion why would you link a video of your average joe not having any idea what the higgs boson is?

All it shows is how consistantly dumb americans (and the odd foreigner) seems to be...

To use the simple analogy your "kick ass" writer uses it would be like going out into the street and asking the same bunch of lay-people what are the four nucleobases that make up the coding element of DNA? In fact thats too easy, the four nucleobases are something pretty stright forward and elementary in the field of DNA, i'd need to dig into some recent PhD projects to find a comparable question.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Lootifer wrote:Jesus PS if you wanted to have an intellectual discussion why would you link a video of your average joe not having any idea what the higgs boson is?

All it shows is how consistantly dumb americans (and the odd foreigner) seems to be...

To use the simple analogy your "kick ass" writer uses it would be like going out into the street and asking the same bunch of lay-people what are the four nucleobases that make up the coding element of DNA? In fact thats too easy, the four nucleobases are something pretty stright forward and elementary in the field of DNA, i'd need to dig into some recent PhD projects to find a comparable question.

Meh, I would guess that around 20-30% of the general public would know this (maybe even less). Another question could be "what are the consequences of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?" I mean, unless you're a physicist/scientist, physics student or spend too much time on an internet forum like CC, you probably won't know.

Remember: the general public is pretty fucking stupid. The majority of them never even went to a college of any kind.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Frigidus on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:53 pm

I don't get why this guy is being so pissy. He seems to have a hate boner against atheism in general, and he just used the Higgs Boson discovery as an excuse to go on an angry rant.
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby patrickaa317 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:55 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
Remember: the general public is pretty fucking stupid. The majority of them never even went to a college of any kind.

Going to college does not ensure intelligence. I know a lot of educated people that are dumber than a box of rocks. I also know some people who dropped out of high school and are smarter than the average person, they just have priorities in life all jacked up.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:57 pm

Frigidus wrote:I don't get why this guy is being so pissy. He seems to have a hate boner against atheism in general, and he just used the Higgs Boson discovery as an excuse to go on an angry rant.

Either he's truly an idiot or he just writes shock articles like this to get the Phatscotty's of the world to read his shit.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Lootifer on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:00 am

Army of GOD wrote:
Frigidus wrote:I don't get why this guy is being so pissy. He seems to have a hate boner against atheism in general, and he just used the Higgs Boson discovery as an excuse to go on an angry rant.

Either he's truly an idiot or he just writes shock articles like this to get the Phatscotty's of the world to read his shit.

Yeh exactly, but I cant resist the bait; f*ck him, f*ck him and all his retarded follower.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Frigidus on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:01 am

Army of GOD wrote:

Judging by the completely uniform opinion of the "approved commenters" on the site, I imagine it's the latter. They're all talking about how athiesm is a religion and how all athiests are x, y, and z.
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby Lootifer on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:08 am

Hey now in their defense athiests do exactly the same shit...

/apatheticagnostic4lyfe
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Frigidus on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:12 am

Lootifer wrote:Hey now in their defense athiests do exactly the same shit...

/apatheticagnostic4lyfe

True enough. Sometimes it's frustrating the way that 90% of the population argue primarily through transparent straw man attacks.
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:13 am

Lootifer wrote:/apatheticagnostic4lyfe

mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Lootifer on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:18 am

Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Woodruff on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

patrickaa317 wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:

Going to college does not ensure intelligence. I know a lot of educated people that are dumber than a box of rocks. I also know some people who dropped out of high school and are smarter than the average person, they just have priorities in life all jacked up.

Indeed.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby nietzsche on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:15 am

Phatscotty wrote:False Messiah: Scientists Contend Recently Discovered ‘God Particle’ Is an ‘Impostor’

Keep 'em coming, it's not like they are making you look retarded.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:40 am

Assuming an unbroken custodial invariance as suggested by precision electroweak measurements, only four possibilities are allowed if the scalar decays to pairs of gauge bosons, as exemplified by a dilaton/radion, a non-dilatonic electroweak singlet scalar, an electroweak doublet scalar, and electroweak triplet scalars. We show that current LHC data already strongly disfavor both the dilatonic and non-dilatonic singlet imposters. On the other hand, a generic Higgs doublet and a triplet imposter give equally good fits to the measured event rates of the newly observed scalar resonance, although a Standard Model Higgs boson gives a slightly better overall fit. [...] We emphasize that more precise measurements of the ratio of event rates in the WW over ZZ channels, as well as the event rates in bb and tau tau channels, are needed to distinguish the Higgs doublet from the triplet imposter.

lol, tau tau channels. Tau tau, y'all!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Timminz on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:30 am

Army of GOD wrote:Another question could be "what are the consequences of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?" I mean, unless you're a physicist/scientist, physics student or spend too much time on an internet forum like CC, you probably won't know.

Most people I know would probably tell me they were stoked for the new season of Breaking Bad.
Captain Timminz

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:33 am

Lootifer wrote:Hey now in their defense athiests do exactly the same shit...

/apatheticagnostic4lyfe

Hey now, in their defense, religion actually is a religion.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby ender516 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Timminz wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:Another question could be "what are the consequences of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?" I mean, unless you're a physicist/scientist, physics student or spend too much time on an internet forum like CC, you probably won't know.

Most people I know would probably tell me they were stoked for the new season of Breaking Bad.

:lol:
After the last season finale, I know I am uncertain about "Heisenberg's" principles.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby kentington on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Will this be in the next season of The Big Bang Theory?
Sergeant kentington

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 pm

What the article does, and why I posted it, is because it alludes to a point I started to explore in the LHC thread.

Phatscotty wrote:There is actually a higher conversation to be had in the realm of Science dealing a blow to Religion. Science and newspapers called it the God particle with the full intention of "science solving God"/explaining where we come from or why.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=174007&hilit=particle#p3802532

There are a lot of reasons why the Higgs is called the God particle.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:05 pm

nietzsche wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:False Messiah: Scientists Contend Recently Discovered ‘God Particle’ Is an ‘Impostor’

You lack context. In this thread you can find a video where a guy says he worships the God particle, and is serious, and I also linked the comment from the other thread that this is based on. So with a little more exploring I am certain you will see the humor and the meaning.

But yes, it looks like not all researchers are in agreement that the boson was found. Guess it's still possibly this might be just the 15th false alert.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
nietzsche wrote:

You lack context. In this thread you can find a video where a guy says he worships the God particle, and is serious, and I also linked the comment from the other thread that this is based on. So with a little more exploring I am certain you will see the humor and the meaning.

But yes, it looks like not all researchers are in agreement that the boson was found. Guess it's still possibly this might be just the 15th false alert.

A great example, look at how the people started acting after I said this....
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=174007&hilit=particle#p3802555

Phatscotty wrote:Be real for a second...isn't this like the 15th time the Boson has been discovered? ;)

Keep your pity, and your faith in round 15 of "WE really REALLY found the Higgs this time!"
Major Phatscotty

Postby GreecePwns on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:28 pm

It takes a lot of caring to announce, heck literally write awhole article, about not caring.

Clearly, the guy cares a lot more about atheism, though.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:31 pm

GreecePwns wrote:It takes a lot of caring to announce, heck literally write awhole article, about not caring.

Clearly, the guy cares a lot more about atheism, though.

There are things to be said, are there not? And on a wider scale, at least observed about secularism in it's modern state?

Look at the way some have been acting and responding. I'm kinda comparing that to if a Christian came into any one of the hundreds of Christian bashing threads, and acted the way some of these guys are acting, it would end with bad news. Just remarking about how he do not see them act that way, at least I have not.
Major Phatscotty

Postby GreecePwns on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:44 pm

Well your claim that the Higgs boson has been found "15 times" is because the other 14 times were pure speculations or announcement of impending experiments, while this time is the annoucing of the result of an experiment which proves its existence with near 100% certainty. The response was a little overdone, but that was also because you've claimed this discovery has no use simply because you don't understand what use it has. Neither do I, nor does anyone here fully. The scientists involved understand the signficance of the discovery within their field, and it will be a time until there is a practical use of these facts are found. That's how it is with every scientific discovery, which is why the claim that this has no significance is wrong.

I think your thoughts on this topic really have to do with its nickname more than anything. Any scientific discovery that would once and for all disprove that which religions claim will be met with this sort of reaction by some. I truly wonder how the religious would react to events such as those depicted in Prometheus, whether they'd discard their beliefs or not.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:48 pm

GreecePwns wrote:Well your claim that the Higgs boson has been found "15 times" is because the other 14 times were pure speculations or announcement of impending experiments, while this time is the annoucing of the result of an experiment which proves its existence with near 100% certainty. The response was a little overdone, but that was also because you've claimed this discovery has no use simply because you don't understand what use it has. Neither do I, nor does anyone here fully. The scientists involved understand the signficance of the discovery within their field, and it will be a time until there is a practical use of these facts are found. That's how it is with every scientific discovery, which is why the claim that this has no significance is wrong.

I think your thoughts on this topic really have to do with its nickname more than anything. Any scientific discovery that would once and for all disprove that which religions claim will be met with this sort of reaction by some. I truly wonder how the religious would react to events such as those depicted in Prometheus, whether they'd discard their beliefs or not.

I don't claim there is no use. I voted yes, because I do care. I understand a tad bit more than the average person, but I do not study or work in anything close to that field other than a few college courses and a genuine curiousity. I have searched out the LHC on my own over the years perhaps a hundred times, just to see what's going on lately, even when it wasn't in the news. It's interesting to me.

And you are right as it is about the nickname, and there is a reason there's always so much hype. That's what I really want to talk about.
Major Phatscotty

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,